PDA

View Full Version : July 1 Changes

adam
23-06-2013, 12:24 AM
Hi Forum Regulars,

July 1 will see a number of big changes for Pit Bull Guitars.

In the spirit of our Community, I want to let you all know what will be changing and, if you have any comments, please share your thoughts. We value your feedback.

1. A New Name for the Website

We've received some negative feedback about the name Pit Bull Guitars. Unfortunately, there's a lot of bad feeling in the community about the "Pit Bull" breed of dogs. I won't go into how misguided* this is, perpetuated by the lazy media, but some people are simply put off solely by the name of our site.

*I'm sure Dingobass will agree that you're more likely to be licked to death by a properly raised Pit Bull than bitten by one.

Additionally, the name Pit Bull Guitars doesn't really describe what we offer, and, as such, we suffer in the Google ratings.

So, we have registered www.BuildYourOwnGuitar.com.au and GuitarKitsAustralia.com.au.

These two names are much more descriptive of what we do and the ".au" tells people we're Australian.

We haven't decided which of these we will run with, but our preference is for Build Your Own Guitar.

What do you think?

Note: The guitar kits will still be known as Pit Bull Guitars kits and you will still be able to access the site through PitBullGuitars.com.

2. Prices

As you know, the Aussie dollar is falling against the US dollar, so our prices will have to go up. Also, we have now crossed the GST threshold so we will have to include GST (10%) in our prices as of July 1. Finally, our competition is continuing to sell kits way too cheap and, as you can see, they keep popping up and then disappearing just as quickly when they realise they can't make any profit at those prices.

So, you will see some pretty significant price rises come July 1. BUT! The good news is, we will moving to FREE SHIPPING on July 1. The postage costs will be amortized in the price of the guitar kits, Wudtone and extras.

Ok, they're the big changes we're looking at on July 1. We really do want to hear your thoughts, so if you have any comment... post away.

And, remember, some of these best things about this venture, such as the "My Build Diary" threads, have come from you good people. Keep the great ideas coming!

Cheers

wokkaboy
23-06-2013, 12:44 AM
Hi Adam,
I think the new name buildyourownguitars is a good idea as it tells you exactly what you are all about, pity some people didn't like the Pit Bull name which I really like too !
No problem about the July price rise, we were warned about this a few weeks ago and combining shipping costs into the kit is a good idea makes the transactions less messy.
Keep up the good work Pit Bull team Adam, Dingobass and Phil W. and hope this forum 'family' continues to grow as it has in the past !

keloooe
23-06-2013, 12:46 AM
Im happy with the changes, the buildyourownguitar.com.au domain sounds noice!!!

Gavin1393
23-06-2013, 01:07 AM
We could keep the PBG anagram and call it PERFECT BUILD GUITARS or something else starting with P!

I also do not see it as a bad thing that we have differentiated ourselves from the many other KIT GUITAR companies that have folded.

Bass Guy
23-06-2013, 04:12 AM
It is refreshing to see a web-based business a) adapt to the changing market without fear of the industry or compromise of its standards, and b) canvass the opinions and experience of its community. This will ensure PBG's survival, I am certain of it.

I would hate to see this endeavour go under, so count the Bass Guy as a loyal supporter.

El

Brendan
23-06-2013, 06:47 AM
Adam, as always, appreciate your frankness and openness. I like the idea of integrating the postal charges in the cost of the guitars and other stuff - does make it more user friendly. While no doubt there is some price sensitivity out there, what you and the Phils offer is more than just an online store. The GST thing will be a double whammy for those who are, but it will be no different for anything else that you buy in Aus.

As for name - BuildYourOwnGuitar is a bit of a mouthfull, but I think reflects more the ethos of what is going on here esp - DB's and Gav's builds. You do offer kits, but you are also offering a range of add ons / stains, etc that would be suitable for a scratch built or like with Gav's tests an upgrade of a 2nd hand guitar.

My 2c...

Fretworn
25-06-2013, 02:36 AM
I prefer the BuildYourOwnGuitar name as long at won't get you in trouble with BYOG in the US. Anyway it looks like there is another Pit Bull guitars out there somewhere as well.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pit-Bull-New-Practice-Real-Electric-Guitar-With-Soft-Case-Strap-Patch-Cord-/330940279997?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4d0d93ecbd#ht_1864wt_1122

MikeL
25-06-2013, 07:56 AM
You know you can run all 3, or as many as you like, domain names and have them simply as pointers to a single actual domain. Some minor tweaking of the logo code and it will automatically display the domain logo that the viewer came in on.

BuildYourOwnGuitar will capture an international audience while GuitarKitsAustralia will appeal to the Aust Ebay crowd more (IMO)

dvous
26-06-2013, 10:32 PM
I also like the idea that shipping is included in the price, as it gives the impression that the customer is getting a little "something for nothing", hence perceived as value for money.

I also agree with Mike above. Why not retain all the names, although I do share Fretworn's concern that there is already a US sitecalling itself BYOG, because that may lead to some confusion.

Brendan
01-07-2013, 11:28 PM
Adam - just looked at the new prices - still very reasonable - some small jumps (especially when you consider that postage in Aus is free) but not out of this world...

jase
02-07-2013, 03:25 AM
Still excellent value. Good on ya guys!! Cheers