PDA

View Full Version : Shielding ??

jase
16-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Gday all. Is it advised to shield the cavity? How much difference does it make ? Cheers!!!

dingobass
16-06-2013, 11:17 AM
The advantage of shielding is to stop electro magnetic interference.
This is one of the major causes of hums and buzzes coming from your guitar.

I have experienced some really noisy guitars and once I shielded them they went silent... :)

We will be offering shielding kits very soon.... next couple of days should see them appear on the extras section of the Pit Bull shop.

jase
16-06-2013, 11:31 AM
Thats great. Do you have a rough idea of the price?? Or is it to early. Ill keep an eye on the Extras section. Cheers again

adam
16-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Copper Shielding Tape packs are now available, here:

http://pitbullguitars.com/?product=pit-bull-guitars-shielding-kit-quality-copper-shielding-tape

Only $6.95

jase
16-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Thats fantastic. When is the best time in the process to do shielding??

Gavin1393
16-06-2013, 01:43 PM
After you have painted the guitar and you are getting ready to do the wiring.

jase
22-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Thanks again to all the folks at Pitbull for there super service. I ordered the " Shielding Tape Kits" on Wednesday, it arrived on Thursday arvo and went into my ST -1 on Friday morning and what a difference it made to the guitar strait away.. It will now be standard in my future builds at low cost and little time to install. Another happy customer. Cheers!!

29-08-2013, 05:28 AM
Hello,
I am quite new to guitar building. I have purchased the LP-1M kit. I was just wondering on what shielding actually is, I saw the wiring video, and before wiring, the but some soldier on the wire before putting it on the pot, is this what shielding is?
thanks guys

29-08-2013, 05:30 AM
Hello,
I am quite new to guitar building. I have purchased the LP-1M kit. I was just wondering on what shielding actually is, I saw the wiring video, and before wiring, the but some soldier on the wire before putting it on the pot, is this what shielding is?
thanks guys

wokkaboy
29-08-2013, 05:43 AM
LP Build, shielding is thin copper strips that have a sticky back that you stick to the surrounds of the cavities and to the back of scratchplates. If you read the thread above it eliminates electro magnectic interference, stops the buzz and hum. Also as your pots make contact with the copper eliminates the need for an earth wire to each pot.
Well worth the small investment of $6.95 one kit should be enough to shield a LP kit

29-08-2013, 06:00 AM
Ok great thanks, so just all in the cavities, and then just solider the wires to the pots etc?

Thanks man

Brendan
29-08-2013, 02:29 PM
And the back of the pickguard where it sits over a cavity. Following that you also need to be sure to ground your pots, etc to the bridge. In general if you follow a good wiring diagram you should be fine.

Welcome along as well... Hope the LP is a cracker!

30-08-2013, 06:19 AM
Hello, thanks very much, ok great so ill buy some of that stuff soon and just put on all the walls of the holes etc :). Yeah im gonna follow the videos on this site for the wiring so I should be right, thanks very much great help

String Breaker
07-01-2014, 04:07 AM
hi there . i have been reading a lot about shielding and its benefits , but I'm still not sure weather or not to actually shield my guitar. i have the RC - 1 kit and would like to have an opinion from someone with experience if it really is worth it. thanks a bunch.

Gavin1393
07-01-2014, 04:30 AM
Depends where you intend to play the guitar. Depends on if you are going to only play the guitar at home. The issue with NOT shielding is that if you are likely to be playing your guitar at various events and places you are going to find that there is cycle hum and radio signal interference at many of these places....so as you break into your solo with all eyes on you, your perfect solo gets hammered by the most annoying hum.....yet shielding the guitar costs you next to nothing and an hour of your time....for the comfort of knowing this won't happen to you.

wokkaboy
07-01-2014, 05:20 AM
well said Gav. Agreed since I started using copper shielding I will install it on all my builds. It looks pretty speccy too when all the cavities are lined with copper shielding

lawry
07-01-2014, 09:40 AM
Gav's comments are spot on.
RF (radio frequency) is the biggest problem for a guitar, not mains hum (50Hz). You may not hear anything at home but once you get into a venue the air is likely to be saturated with it. RF comes from things like light dimmers and motors (and there are large ones in fridges, fans, air-conditioners). The best thing you can do to keep your guitar circuitry protected is by providing as much shielding as you can.