PDA

View Full Version : GFS Pickups

Fretworn
13-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Has anyone had any experience with the GFS pickups from Guitar Fetish? If possible I'd really like to put B90 style pickups in my TL1-TB, but I can't afford to fork out a couple of hundred bucks on Seymour Duncan Phat Cats, or even $150 on a set of Tesla B90 style pickups. Guitar Fetish has this style of pickup for significantly less, but I don't know if their pickups just cheap noisy crap, or if they are a decent, budget pickup.

dingobass
13-06-2013, 12:09 PM
I dropped a pair of GFS Retronon 'buckers into Adams LP, they sound pretty darn good to me and I am sure that Adam is happy with them too.
Also having read many reviews on GFS pups I conclude that for the money they are a decent pup!

The guys at GF have spent time replicating the classic pups and IMHO they have nailed it!

Their customer service is also good.

WeirdBits
13-06-2013, 02:09 PM
There are quite a few YouTube vids of GFS P90's (Mean, Dream etc.), some more useful than others, so I'd plug in some headphones and listen to as many as I could... I mean, ultimately, it's only your opinion that really matters. Good sounding pickups for the price, but their shipping can be quite expensive, so I'd suggest comparing the overall cost of purchase and shipping before making a decision.

Fretworn
15-06-2013, 02:23 AM
I spent a bit of time doing research. I could get a set of Mean 90s delivered for around $100 at current exchange rates. Mean 90's actually have lots of positive reviews, with the consensus being that they are the closest pickup to a P90 in a humbucker size, unless you can fork out the big bucks and go Brierly, Lollar or Fralin. There were even guys on the Seymour Duncan forum saying they were better than Phat Cats.

Dream 90's on the other hand are cheaper and don't sound like P90's. In fact they are constructed more like a Strat pickup in a humbucker case.

Unfortunately it may be a moot point for me now. There have been a lot of expenses hit in the last few days and it looks like I may have to go with the supplied pickups while I wait and see if I get a decent tax return, or can sell some stuff on eBay, by which time the exchange rate may have made it less attractive.

Tony Bones
27-06-2013, 09:06 PM
I have no doubts the supplied pickups with all Pit Bull kits are good. I plan on doing my Firebird kit in gold and will be using these Lipstick Humbuckers from GF:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Pro-Tube-Lipstick-Humbucker-GOLD-Cool-CHimey-Tone_c_112.html

I'll warehouse the supplied pickups and use them down the road.

Bones

Tony Bones
27-06-2013, 09:13 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Fretworn on June 14, 2013, 11:23
I spent a bit of time doing research. I could get a set of Mean 90s delivered for around $100 at current exchange rates. Mean 90's actually have lots of positive reviews, with the consensus being that they are the closest pickup to a P90 in a humbucker size, unless you can fork out the big bucks and go Brierly, Lollar or Fralin. There were even guys on the Seymour Duncan forum saying they were better than Phat Cats.

Dream 90's on the other hand are cheaper and don't sound like P90's. In fact they are constructed more like a Strat pickup in a humbucker case.

Unfortunately it may be a moot point for me now. There have been a lot of expenses hit in the last few days and it looks like I may have to go with the supplied pickups while I wait and see if I get a decent tax return, or can sell some stuff on eBay, by which time the exchange rate may have made it less attractive.

Fret, thanks for the tip on the GF P-90s. I do;t really care for the sound of true P-90s, I call them Thuds. That's what they sound like to me, thud. I'll check out the GF P-90s.

Here is what is perfect for my (future) Firebird:

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/z180p-goldlpstk.jpg