PDA

View Full Version : Using deep colour coat or not.

Martijn
11-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Hi Guys,

I was wondering. Is it possible to use the base coats and not the deep colour coat.
Because I want to make some brighter colours. Do you guys also sand a lot between coats or
just fine steelwool between coats??

Greetz,

Martijn

Brendan
11-06-2013, 11:04 PM
May be worthwhile talking with DB- I think there's a white base coat that might make it possible. As for sandpaper vs steelwool - steel wool only on colour bases and top coats to give a small key for the new coat to attach to - not heavy sanding. Though if you want to you can strip it back using sandpaper - up to you.

wokkaboy
12-06-2013, 12:01 AM
Hi Martijn,
Sure if you want a lighter colour you can skip the deep coat but you will want to apply at least 3 or 4 base coats so in years to come it doesn't lose its colour.
As Brendan said only use light application of fine steel wool between coats, but best speak to Dingobass can add a white colour mix to your order so you could mix the deep coat with white to lighten the colour, then base coats.
What wudtone colour you got in mind on what model PBG guitar ?

dingobass
12-06-2013, 08:00 AM
Hey Martijn,

Using just the base coat will give you a lighter colour but not a vibrant one.
You could try using just one coat of the deep colour and steel wool it back a bit harder then go in with the base coats.

It also depends on the type of timber your Guitar is.
Lighter timbers will naturally give you a brighter finish.

On darker timbers, Brendan's suggestion of using a white base coat first will help to get a clear, bright colour.

Martijn
12-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Thanx for the advice!! I'm just thinking about the possible colours. Is adding white coat to the deep colour coat also possible for transparant stains?? Or will you lose the figure of the wood?? Can I use olympic girl colour for that?? Or is this an opaque kit?? I'm thinking about making the guitarbody orange or light green. I already have an ibanez body custom made and I want to paint it with wudtone. I saw the lioness on wudtone's website. Is that a orange colour??

dingobass
12-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Adding the white base to the colour will make it more opaque and hide the figure.

The Emerald Isles is a really nice green.

I have yet to use the Lioness, we are not stocking it at this time.

Martijn
12-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Thanx!!