PDA

View Full Version : Prices...

adam
11-06-2013, 12:13 PM
My Fellow Guitar Kit Enthusiasts,

I'm sure you've noticed that our Aussie dollar has been on a bit of a slide against the US Dollar... downwards. When we started this business it was as high as A$1.00 buying US$1.05. My last payment to our supplier, just yesterday, the Aussie only bought 91 US cents. That's more than a 10% fall.

(for reference, when I worked for Music Link Australia, in the early 90's the Aussie bought about 55 US cents... which is why a set of D'Addario strings cost you $20)

Anyway, this Aussie plunge is good news for my elderly folks, who rely on a decent interest rate on their savings, but not so good news for people who buy goods imported at US dollar prices (such as Pit Bull Guitars customers).

I want to give our Forum members a heads up... we have no choice but to put up our guitar kit prices on 1 July 2013. So, you've got a bit of a warning if you want to plan your next builds and buy now to save about between 7 and 10%.

As an extra reward/incentive to our Forum regulars, if you want to order a kit now, at the current prices, you can pay for it when you have your Tax Cheque:

Simply select the kit you want to purchase and select Direct Transfer as the payment method. We will then give you to July 31 to pay for the kit. At which time you will have to transfer the funds to our account (or I can send you a PayPal invoice).

Anyway, we've been going since August last year, on basically the same prices, so I don't think a modest price increase is going to lose us any customers, but we do have to remain competitive with these new "DIY" guitar kit sites that seem to be popping up on a daily basis.

If you do have any comments about our prices, please share, we welcome any feedback and, ultimately, this is more of a community experience than a money making venture, so we will be guided by the community voice.

Cheers

Gavin1393
11-06-2013, 12:40 PM
Hi Adam,

Could you explain when the kits that are ordered in this way will be delivered?

It may cause confusion otherwise.

Gav

adam
11-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Ok, sorry Gav, we'll ship when the payment has cleared. So, if one of our regulars is thinking of a kit now, but they won't have the funds until their tax refund arrives, they can lock it in now (at current pricing) and receive it when they have the funds. Actually, it's not that complicated Gav, do try and keep up.

Gavin1393
11-06-2013, 12:58 PM
You forget I'm in the financial services industry where ASIC requires us to cater for the lowest common neanderthal, i mean, denominator......someone was bound to order one of every kit by tomorrow and then start writing letters of complaint by the weekend that three days has past and not a single kit has arrived!!

Well that was my plan anyway!! :) :). :)

This is a great offer and I have signed up for three kits!

Brendan
11-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Can't be fairer than that Adam, heaps of notice and an option for extension. While it is a community venture - if you're losing money on every kit, it can't continue, which becomes self defeating... Will have a hard think about ordering a kit or 3...

wokkaboy
11-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Yes that's fair Adam to put prices up, crikey look how much electricity has gone up last 2-3 years. AT least we are getting good warning so have a few weeks to order at current prices. Will wudtone be going up as well or is it just the guitar and bass kits ?
Gav sounds like you have GAS ordering 3 kits - you will need to order more concho girl for these kits ?

brett40
11-06-2013, 01:52 PM
will this affect special order items? i know you will still need a deposit

keloooe
11-06-2013, 09:04 PM
Uh oh, I'm outta money for my ST-1 kit w/ the rout mod.....
Don't try and give it away again for a tiny price Adam, I don't think more than one special kit is fair to others...

adam
11-06-2013, 09:18 PM
brett40, no, if you order now or before 30 June, the price at time of purchase stays.

Cheers,

robin
11-06-2013, 09:39 PM
That's only fair Adam, nobody wants you to lose money out of PBG. Thanks for the heads up, and as usual, customer service above and beyond.......

Now, which kit is a must have?........ darn, I want them all.

rob

adam
11-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Brendan, for your info and anyone else who's interested, it's not like we're losing money, we're just not making any. So, the two Phils and I are doing this for "fun" at the moment, in that hope that a couple of years down the track we might see some profit. That's not a whinge, I'm sure the guys agree, its fun doing something that we all enjoy and the Community is a great bonus.

The reason we don't make any money is actually quite simple:

1. The pricing was set too low by Guitarworx and Guitar Kits Direct from the start (and, as we know now, he went arse up). When I started, I had to keep in line with his prices (even though he wasn't even delivering on orders). If you've ever looked at similar kits in other Countries, they're $250+, not $100+.

2. To sell 100 kits a month, we need to order 200 a month, to cover all 50 models and ensure that we have 80% of kits in stock at all time. This will improve over time now we've "refined" the list of kits we'll stock. Also, we'll get a better picture of the quantity of kits we need to have every month.

3. We now have some new competitors popping up who seem to have gone through our catalogue and priced everything a few dollars cheaper (even though their shipping is a lot more). People will shop on price alone, so we are losing business to them.

Anyway, my biggest gripe is that there seems to be an eBay mentality to selling out there. That is, if you buy something for $70 and sell it for $100, you made $30. Anyone who's been in business knows that this is simply not true. By the time you've included all running costs, taxes, fees, advertising and other incidentals, you've probably made about $3. That's great if you're Coles or Woolworths, but not if you're just selling a few kits every day.

/rant.

Brendan
11-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Adam, was only being pragmatic - you guys aren't a charity, so I can fully appreciate the need to at least cover your costs. If they go up, the prices of kits go up.

adam
11-06-2013, 11:14 PM
Hi Brendan, I guess I wasn't really responding to your post, I just wanted to have a mini rant and saw an opportunity here. Apologies if it came across the wrong way.

Brendan
12-06-2013, 03:57 AM
Rant on - Mum's got a small business and I know how small the margins are - I was more worried you'd misinterpreted my comments - I love what you guys are doing here and don't want to see it go the way the other guy has - I think you guys have got a good, safe environment for us amateur luthiers to learn and develop, and I know that I already know more about my bass (mechanically and electrically) than I ever have...

I also love that you guys are not über precious about everything being PBG gear (e.g., the n word spray on beautiful wood guitars) and that you're also open about how to do stuff (i.e., you don't have to have bought a guitar to view the how to videos), which is a marked difference in approach than others offering similar products and I think should be encouraged.

glenno3228
13-06-2013, 05:45 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Gavin1393 on June 10, 2013, 21:58
You forget I'm in the financial services industry where ASIC requires us to cater for the lowest common neanderthal, i mean, denominator......someone was bound to order one of every kit by tomorrow and then start writing letters of complaint by the weekend that three days has past and not a single kit has arrived!!

Well that was my plan anyway!! :) :). :)

This is a great offer and I have signed up for three kits!

I too am, or was in the finance industry and unless PBG run their own hedging these price fluctuations are entirely reasonable and Adams offer above and beyond.

I'll be ordering a couple too.

G

Walrus
13-06-2013, 08:33 AM
Totally reasonable and understandable. I hope to buy two kits before June 30!

I think this community is a real differentiator and will hopefully attract buyers away from the competition.

adam
13-06-2013, 10:15 AM
Hey guys, if you do take advantage of the "July 1 Price Guarantee", please put a note on your order so we know to keep your order on hold.

There's a "Order Notes" section when you place an order, so just put "July 1" or something like that in there so we know what's going on.

Gav, I've put a note on yours.

Cheers

dingobass
13-06-2013, 12:12 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from adam on June 12, 2013, 19:15
Hey guys, if you do take advantage of the "July 1 Price Guarantee", please put a note on your order so we know to keep your order on hold.

There's a "Order Notes" section when you place an order, so just put "July 1" or something like that in there so we know what's going on.

Cheers

And that note says.
DB to remove frets and give the kits a first coat of Conch Girl.

Gavin1393
13-06-2013, 01:58 PM
/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on June 12, 2013, 21:12

/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from adam on June 12, 2013, 19:15

Cheers

And that note says.

Oh goody! Free paint AND free fretwork!

wokkaboy
13-06-2013, 02:14 PM
And I heard first forum member to reach 1000 posts gets a free ride in a pink limmo. Looks like you're the lucky winner Gav!

keloooe
13-06-2013, 09:03 PM
/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on June 12, 2013, 21:12

/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from adam on June 12, 2013, 19:15

Cheers

And that note says.
DB, im scared now about the StratoPester..... I dont want a pink, fretless Strat!

AJ
13-06-2013, 11:48 PM
would have liked to take part in this "pre-order", but alas I don't get a tax return being a pensioner.... bummer hey!

keloooe
14-06-2013, 06:24 AM
And I'm outta money :( .....
Looks like my StratoPester mods will have to wait a bit...

wokkaboy
14-06-2013, 06:27 AM
Hey Pest have you checked to see how much routing is required for your mods ? I reckon a bucker would probably fit inside the standard route, just need to cut a bigger hole in the scratchplate maybe ?
Pretty devo that you didn't take out the first member to reach 1000 posts Pest !

Gavin1393
14-06-2013, 07:13 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from wokkaboy on June 13, 2013, 15:27
Hey Pest have you checked to see how much routing is required for your mods ? I reckon a bucker would probably fit inside the standard route, just need to cut a bigger hole in the scratchplate maybe ?
Pretty devo that you didn't take out the first member to reach 1000 posts Pest !

but he will no doubt be the first to 100,000 posts since the older crew on here will be dead and buried long ago! Age is on the Pest's side!

keloooe
14-06-2013, 07:16 AM
Well, I need a humbucker, a razor file from StewMac (to cut the guard), a push-pull pot, a black ice overdrive, wire, and I'm adding in some SM tools that will help me, which goes to $193, then there's the kit, that's $130 (at the moment), then there;s the Wudtone, that's like $43, then there's shipping for the SM stuff and the kit, so that's around $35..... Yep.... That's A LOT of money....

I dont know if a humbucker with the bridge single coil slant will fit in the rout, DB says it probably won't, someone needs to test that theory....

AJ
15-06-2013, 01:03 AM
/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from keloooe on June 13, 2013, 16:16
Well, I need a humbucker, a razor file from StewMac (to cut the guard), a push-pull pot, a black ice overdrive, wire, and I'm adding in some SM tools that will help me, which goes to $193, then there's the kit, that's $130 (at the moment), then there;s the Wudtone, that's like $43, then there's shipping for the SM stuff and the kit, so that's around $35..... Yep.... That's A LOT of money....

I dont know if a humbucker with the bridge single coil slant will fit in the rout, DB says it probably won't, someone needs to test that theory....

** Have you checked your local RC-Hobby stores in your area for a razor saw? Could work out somewhat cheaper than from Stewmacs.....just a thought for you.. ad I'm not far off finishing my coil winder .. will need some practice on winding coils..lol might be able to come to an agreement for you..

Gavin1393
15-06-2013, 01:43 AM
Hey AJ! post some pics of the winder. With your woodworking skills I reckon it will look sensational!!

keloooe
15-06-2013, 02:43 AM
Nah, I prefer SM's razor files, a mate recommended them to me last night (DB did as well a few weeks ago!), And they can be used to do some headstock shaping, so it's a win-win situation!!!

Yes, post some pics of your winder!!! I'm thinking of doing one as well, Gav inspired me to want to try!!!

AJ
15-06-2013, 05:14 AM
will post some pickies when it warms up a tad .. too cold for me atm to wander outside .... :(
Dam it's cold.. don't like the cold, don't like the heat of summer.. don't like the rain...whine , whine, whine... Must be getting too old now..

keloooe
15-06-2013, 05:27 AM
Yea AJ, it's cold here as well!!!! Winter always sucks here in Melbs.....

dingobass
15-06-2013, 08:50 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from AJ on June 14, 2013, 14:14
will post some pickies when it warms up a tad .. too cold for me atm to wander outside .... :(
Dam it's cold.. don't like the cold, don't like the heat of summer.. don't like the rain...whine , whine, whine... Must be getting too old now..

Move to Perth AJ!
never gets too cold and the heat in summer is OK because of the low humidity... besides, I could learn so much about wood working from a Master like you!

keloooe
15-06-2013, 09:23 AM
What is there to do in Perth DB???

Gavin1393
15-06-2013, 09:43 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from keloooe on June 14, 2013, 18:23

Learn how to build acoustics and basses from DB and Me....and meet some other great folk like this one guy that DB and I know who has the largest collection of Tele's DB and I have ever seen!

keloooe
15-06-2013, 09:48 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Gavin1393 on June 14, 2013, 18:43

/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from keloooe on June 14, 2013, 18:23

Learn how to build acoustics and basses from DB and Me....and meet some other great folk like this one guy that DB and I know who has the largest collection of Tele's DB and I have ever seen!
Sounds great then!!!! But there's more to do in Melbs, it's why Wok comes over here for the F1 every year!!!

Brendan
15-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Bloody freezing over here - I had to put a jumper on during the day the other day!

Pest, I think the fact that Wok visits once a year and doesn't live there just highlights that its an OK place to visit, but not somewhere you'd want to live :D.

After all - we've got the best beaches, best weather, best DIY guitar community - let me know when to stop...

AJ
15-06-2013, 11:47 AM
I know what summers are like in Perth... I would melt..lol and it gets windy there at 4 pm in the arvo... u cant even leave your beer on the table at that time of day with out it getting "blown over" from the docker.. No late night shopping... etc.. And my two oldest children live there... took them years before they "fledged the nest".. still have one left at home and he's now 30.
Surprised you say about my woodworking skills, I consider them to be really basic at the best. Only ever learn t basics in tech college .. My main trade was motor Mechanic .. Trained in the RAAF. Retired from the RAAF after 20 years service as a systems engineer, mind you part of my duties were to do with independent inspection, and quality control of allied trades including surface finishing, had little to do with the wood "butchers". I did pick up a lot of handy titbits from them and a hell of a lot from building radio control aircraft ( I still have a rough as - 16.5 ft wingspan 10 channel scratch built glider hanging in the shed at home. Sold the controller many moons ago. Only built that to help another club member to "learn" how to build them. My main interest was ducted fan jets, so have more expertise in composites.) Will see if I can find the video of my old sabre jet. tis some where on the optus network.. if only I could remember the link.

AJ
15-06-2013, 11:50 AM
/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from Brendan on June 14, 2013, 20:43
Bloody freezing over here - I had to put a jumper on during the day the other day!

Pest, I think the fact that Wok visits once a year and doesn't live there just highlights that its an OK place to visit, but not somewhere you'd want to live :D.

After all - we've got the best beaches, best weather, best DIY guitar community - let me know when to stop...

You fail to mention the passing populous of JAWS... they treat the beaches there as take away stores.. 8O
Score card.... Sharks 10 tourists nil....

Brendan
15-06-2013, 11:53 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from AJ on June 14, 2013, 20:47
and it gets windy there at 4 pm in the arvo...

Only if you're lucky... BTW they've recently discovered that shops can be open for more than a few hours and the world doesn't end. Western Australians still believe that daylight savings will confuse the cows and fade the curtains though :( ...

AJ
15-06-2013, 12:09 PM
an old out-of-date we page I put up many, many moons ago when I was more active..in RC.. http://members.optusnet.com.au/ajohns/index.html there are some pictures of the f16 I built in photos.

keloooe
15-06-2013, 12:29 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Brendan on June 14, 2013, 20:43
We have a Pest, the best guitar manufacturer in Oz, the tallest building in our hemisphere, the Australian Open, the F1 Grand Prix, I bet there's other stuff to mention!!!