PDA

View Full Version : Hoopers ES-1G Build

sfkhooper
09-06-2013, 04:13 AM
Ok, this is my second build and I'm really looking forward to applying some of the knowledge I acquired during the first, which was a TL-1. It had issues a-plenty, but I have a guitar that I love, so cest la vie.

BUT, lo and behold, this kit seems to have the very same problem that the TL did, which ended up being a major source of frustration. The pickup dwells aren't routed correctly!!! Take a look at the image below. You'll clearly notice that the bridge pickup dwell is smaller than the neck pickup dwell. In fact it is physically too small to accommodate a pickup. Seriously?? Is this a common problem? What do people usually do about this?

http://i44.tinypic.com/359zbyq.jpg

wokkaboy
09-06-2013, 04:49 AM
Hey Hooper that sucks a bit I've never come across this problem. Do you own a drill like 12-14mm diamter ? I suggest you trace the pickup surround as a guide and drill out the screw hole recesses a bit wider being very carefull not to drill anywhere you shouldn't, clamp down the body with some rags so it doesn't move.
So you have to make the recesses about 2mm wider each side, should be manageable. WOuld be impossible to route it out with the contoured top.
GOod luck and let us know how you go

Gavin1393
09-06-2013, 05:10 AM
That's you and me both Wokka....never come across that either. Usually they're a little oversized which means carefull placing of the humbucker rings so that the gaps don't show, but certainly havent experienced SFK's issues. Lightning does strike the same place twice it seems?

Maybe escalate this issue to Adam, SFK. He may want to check back with the manufacturers? Fretworn also seems to have had a similar issue?
http://pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=340.1

adam
09-06-2013, 05:18 AM
On it Gav. Hooper, this is clearly a manufacturing fault and is covered by our Guarantee. Please don't feel obligated to press on. You can return the whole kit and we will send you a replacement. It will delay your build, but I think this is the best option. I will also send you excellent photo tot the supplier and ask them to keep an eye on the pickup routs.

Email me and let me know what you want to do. If you want a replacement I will organise it.

Analyst69
09-06-2013, 05:21 AM
I had a similar issue with a non-pitbull kit, but mine was the other way (up down in Hooper's photo).

I used a sanding wheel on a dremel (actually, $50 wannabe dremel) on low speed (had to be really careful to keep moving so I created a consistent straight line rather than a series of indents). With care, this technique works well.

Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers

dingobass
09-06-2013, 06:02 AM
Yep, I have come across this one a few times. Part of the joy of building kits! :)

I attack this problem with a very sharp gouge chisel thingy, works every time..
However, unless you have the right tools I would be inclined to go with Adams offer.

WeirdBits
09-06-2013, 06:49 AM
I just did a quick check of those same measurements on my ES-1G kit (been sitting in its box for a couple of months waiting for some attention). The neck pup rout is 89mm at its widest point and the bridge is just touching on 87mm, so a bit of variation but within tolerance. Actually, the 87mm rout only just fits the baseplate of my aftermarket pups (with a bit of wiggling), so it seems I got lucky.

It's bizarre that the factory can somehow cut such widely varying routs like on Hooper's kit, I would have thought a set pattern would allow only a 1mm or so difference at most. Unless...

dingobass
09-06-2013, 07:13 AM
Some one must have punched the wrong values into the CNC. I cannot think of any other reason why this is happening.
Maybe one of our guys who works with CNC machines can throw some light onto this?

Gavin1393
09-06-2013, 07:21 AM
Quote from Analyst69 on June 8, 2013, 14:21
I had a similar issue with a non-pitbull kit, but mine was the other way (up down in Hooper's photo).

I used a sanding wheel on a dremel (actually, $50 wannabe dremel) on low speed (had to be really careful to keep moving so I created a consistent straight line rather than a series of indents). With care, this technique works well.

Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers

Because of the curvature of the top of the ES, i would be reluctant to use a dremel or any other router unless you have a lot of experience using them.....

dingobass
09-06-2013, 08:45 AM
A cheap and easy work around is to get a set of Lino cutting or fine wood carving chisels. You should be able to pick these up for around the $20 mark.

Use the round end chisels to gently and carefully pare away the rout out until the pup sits in the hole and behaves it's self.

glenno3228
09-06-2013, 09:37 AM
My Rick has the same problem and got the chisel. ;)

rhay
09-06-2013, 12:42 PM
My TL-1TH had a similar problem. The rounded screw ports (the ears) in the rebates wouldn't accommodate the square screw tags on the pickup base.

In this case I modified the pickups - snicked the edges off the square tags.

rhay
09-06-2013, 12:47 PM
Quote from Gavin1393 on June 8, 2013, 16:21

Because of the curvature of the top of the ES, i would be reluctant to use a dremel or any other router unless you have a lot of experience using them.....[/quote]

Good advice, for certain!

And of you did grab the router I'd suggest you use one of these with a template (for those who haven't seen them before).
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/5v8i6-upper-bearing-router.JPG

sfkhooper
10-06-2013, 03:02 AM
I decided to use a dremmel type bit in my cordless drill. This is the approach I took with the TL-1 and it came out fine. Can't help but be pissed off that two kits have come like this, so am wondering if I go down the Pitbull road for my wife's bass kit. It was clear to me upon opening the box the the two recesses we're not the same width. This annoyance also brings up past angst around the knotty wood near the f-hole on my TL. It was explained to me at the time that somebody decided it was a character-adding imperfection and let it go through, but I think if Pitbull are going to making calls like that then they really need to contact the client and ask what finish is intended, ie an enamel type finish would hide such imperfections, but clear coats would accentuate them. Anyway, rant over. Moving on...

For this ES I'm going with a whitewash look under high gloss clear lacquer. With the gold hardware I reckon it'll look pretty awesome. Here's the masking up in progress.
http://i43.tinypic.com/5vnmut.jpg

Here's the first coat of enamel (yes, enamel!) completed. I thinned the water-based paint 4:1 to make it a little thinner. I wanted to have a consistency that I could rub in with a rag. Hard to see in this shot just how good it came up, but I'm very pleased with it thus far.
http://i43.tinypic.com/i739ma.jpg

Brendan
10-06-2013, 04:16 AM
What sort of bass kit are you looking at for your wife? My p bass pickguard was spot on with the pickups & no issues with the route - esp given that it's a big hole.

Other thing - Adam has already indicated he'd happily replace the kit if that's what you wanted. I think the guys at PBG take their customer service seriously as evidenced by the speed of responses to all sorts of questions and a clear approach to sub standard kits. I honestly think you'll go a long way to find an alternate supplier with this level of support. That said, the business is still getting going and while unfortunate, I can understand that things may not be 100% - 100% of the time (e.g., Robin's ST-1). As a result, Adam and the crew seem to do the next best thing - rock solid guarantee and service to resolve the issue.

In short, I'd suggest giving Adam an email or a call and going through your issues - I'm sure that something can be sorted out - lightning shouldn't strike twice, but it obviously does - and that sucks, but the lack of other comments (appart from the Rickenbacker) from others with too small / different routing holes, means I don't think that every kit is having this same issue.

PS - your axe is looking nice - the whitewash with gold should be fully schmick!

sfkhooper
10-06-2013, 04:53 AM
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I have full respect for Adam and his crew. The concept of the business is awesome and these guys seems to have some real passion. A great little start-up! BUT, that doesn't mean that customers shouldn't winge when things go wrong. They absolutely should. This is how the business gets do develop in a positive fashion. Maybe, just maybe, my comments will inspire a process change to help prevent these problems in the future. That's good for the business and it's good for future customers. There's no point walking on eggshells with this kind of thing. The vendor should know that I was truly pissed off. That way they can develop empathy and truly get why they do the things that they do.

No need for Adam to do anything on this occasion. I've resolved the problem pretty easily myself. It only cost me some time.

For my wife's bass, we're probably looking at the JB-4 or PB-4, in Wudtone T-Bird or Surfer Girl.

Thanks for the feedback. I've given it a second coat which has left just the right amount of grain peeping through. I'm thrilled with it! Can't wait to start getting the clear coats on.

What I'm really looking forward to though is the wiring on this axe. Nice and complex with the super-fiddly f-hole to contend with. Awesome challenge! Found my wiring diagram over at guitarelectronics.com; that site is awesome!

sfkhooper
10-06-2013, 05:04 AM
Photo's never come out great with the phone, but here's where I'm at after the second and final base colour coat.
http://i42.tinypic.com/4kb2on.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/2s194m1.jpg

Brendan
10-06-2013, 05:10 AM
That's cool - just also wanting to let you know that I'm stoked with my PB-4 at the moment - no issues with routing on the pickups. Also fully agree on the needing to let Adam and crew know when there are issues - that's the only way for things to get better.

Gav's done a blow by blow on how to get the electrics into the F hole - if you haven't, make sure you check it out!

sfkhooper
10-06-2013, 05:21 AM
Ah, thanks for the tip! Can you link me to it? Cheers!

Brendan
10-06-2013, 05:26 AM
Gav's got it here:
http://pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=230

I'm sure he'll be around on the forum soon (ish) this arvo if you have any questions.

Gavin1393
10-06-2013, 05:32 AM
Who needs Gav when you got Brendan! Reading the post I was thinking exactky what Brendan has already mentioned! Seems like you are in good hands here! My work is done! :)

pablopepper
10-06-2013, 05:40 AM
Quote from dingobass on June 8, 2013, 16:13
Maybe one of our guys who works with CNC machines can throw some light onto this?

There are two ways this can happen. First way is the file used to cut the body is wrong, but since Gavin said his was ok, chances are the cutter being used in the machine is a slightly smaller diameter than the one the file is set up for.

Btw, I've had the same problem with my brother's es-1g. I very carefully took a couple of mm off the mounting part of the pick up.

adam
10-06-2013, 06:26 AM
Hey skfhooper, I have certainly taken your comments on board and have contacted the supplier to let them know about this issue with the undersized routs. Actually, they've been pretty good so far, we asked them not to use their wood filler and the guitars I've seen in this new consignment, I haven't spotted any wood filler, or holes for that matter.

So, again, sorry you got some kits with a few issues, but you did have the option of sending them back and having them replaced, at no cost to you. This is clearly explained on our site's refund policy http://pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=17.

Cheers

Brendan
10-06-2013, 08:25 AM
Downside is Adam that you get a bit attached to a lump of wood - even with it's knocks and bumps... :D

adam
10-06-2013, 08:59 AM
I understand Brendan, I'm certainly attached to my wood.

sfkhooper
10-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Thanks Brendan. Looks like it will help a lot!

Here's the latest shot, masking off
http://i40.tinypic.com/j5a7i9.jpg

rhay
10-06-2013, 10:00 AM
Really looking forward to seeing the end result, neat.

sfkhooper
10-06-2013, 11:34 PM
First coat on the side
http://i41.tinypic.com/ed4k5.jpg

sfkhooper
11-06-2013, 12:14 AM
Well, this is disappointing
http://i40.tinypic.com/e7o3rt.jpg

Gavin1393
11-06-2013, 01:25 AM
Hi SFK,

I have just spoken to Adam. He feels like I do that this kit really needs to go back to the factory with a "Please explain". We know that you have already done a fair amount of work on the body so our suggestion is that you only send back the neck to us.

We are horrified that this neck seems to have passed the Quality Control function at the factory and while this doesn't help your current situation we still offer you our apologies for this failure.

Please send the neck back to us at:

Pit Bull Guitars
Unit 7, 500 Beaufort Street
Highgate WA 6003
AUSTRALIA

Not that we'd miss it, but for Phils' benefit please include your name and address as sender.

We will refund your postage costs and we will arrange to have a replacement neck sent out to you as quick as we can. Please let us know if this solution is not acceptable.

Once again our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

dvous
11-06-2013, 01:46 AM
Quote from pablopepper on June 9, 2013, 14:40

Quote from dingobass on June 8, 2013, 16:13

There are two ways this can happen. First way is the file used to cut the body is wrong, but since Gavin said his was ok, chances are the cutter being used in the machine is a slightly smaller diameter than the one the file is set up for.

Btw, I've had the same problem with my brother's es-1g. I very carefully took a couple of mm off the mounting part of the pick up.

My local guitar guru who actually uses a CNC checked over my ST-1 kit before it was put together. He doesn't think it was actually done with a CNC machine because there were too many inaccuracies inconsistent with a CNC job. He thinks it was done with a duplicator, such as those in the pix below. He also suggested that if the "original" body construction was inaccurate or worn, or any part of the duplication process was imperfect, then that would be reflected in the final output. Duplicators would be much a much cheaper way of working than a CNC, which would appeal to Chinese suppliers who are looking to make and sell something as cheaply as possible.

Perhaps Adam could find out whether PBG bodies and necks are made by CNCs or duplicators?

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/2gfcv-guitar_duplicator.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/xkr61-electric-guitar2.jpg

wokkaboy
11-06-2013, 01:49 AM
yer thats a bummer that neck passed quality control. I just hope the replacement neck fits the body snugly, there's a small risk of the neck heel size being slightly different but most necks I've seen on kits are very close in size

sfkhooper
11-06-2013, 02:19 AM
Painting finished. Very happy. On to the top coat.
http://i41.tinypic.com/2nhnx35.jpg

wokkaboy
11-06-2013, 02:29 AM
looking good Hooper, you did have a win in another way looks like you dodged the glue on the cap near the edges like some of the earlier ES kits !

Brendan
11-06-2013, 05:29 AM
Hooper - just read your post on the neck - man that bites... sounds like you ran over a black cat while smashing mirrors on this kit. Sorry to hear that. Hope Adam and the guys get it sorted for you quickly...

adam
11-06-2013, 07:07 AM
sfkhooper, I've tried calling you and no response, maybe you're locked away in your man cave.

We can find no record of you purchasing an ES-1G kit from us; either from our site or eBay. Did someone else buy it for you as a gift perhaps? If so, what was their name (I need this to determine when the kits was supplied to us).

Or, is there a chance you actually bought it from another supplier and genuinely, mistakenly thought it was from us?

The reason I ask is that there is no way that fretboard blemish would get past Phil W, who is a cabinet maker by trade and I'd given him specific instructions to look for faults in the fretboard, as they are almost impossible to repair.

Anyway, if it's not our kit, no problem, I'm sure the others would agree with me that we'd be happy to help you with this difficult build. If it is our kit, then we will certainly fulfill our obligations in whichever manner you prefer.

More importantly, if we're going to have a thread full of images of horrible flaws, I think you'll agree its important we name the correct suppler.

Thanks mate,

sfkhooper
11-06-2013, 08:28 AM
Hi Adam, all valid questions, so no worries. It was actually purchased by A.P. (name abbreviated for obvious reasons). You might remember that we work together. It is on order #1882. He traded the kit for a washing machine, of all things, which I was more than happy about. Anyway, I have the docs and can have him chime in if necessary. Cheers!

rhay
11-06-2013, 08:57 AM
Well if nothing else at least we now have a more acceptable moniker for "A.P.". :)

adam
11-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Thanks sfkhooper, I did have in the back of my mind that there was something like that going on, but I thought it was your wife/gf who bought it for you. Anyway, with the order number I can now tell the Factory what consignment on, so they can kick the right arse.

So, that is an awful fault on the neck and we need to get you another neck asap.

Not sure you've already sent yours back, but, if not, can you please send it, receiver pays, to:

Pit Bull Guitars
4 Jade Street
Mount Richon WA 6112

(not our Highgate Office)

I'll get another neck off to you tomorrow.

If the neck you have there ha a number on it, let me know what it is and I'll see if we have a matching one. I believe the numbers relate to the machine used or the operator who did the work.

Cheers,

sfkhooper
11-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Thanks, Adam. I'll send it off tomorrow. The only number I see is a pencilled "2" at the bottom of the neck. Is that it?

Gavin1393
11-06-2013, 09:39 AM
That would be the number!

adam
11-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Thanks sfk, that's the number we need. We'll try and match it from our stock here.

sfkhooper
12-06-2013, 12:22 AM
Thanks Adam. Is there a courier company I should use to ship back? If so, is there an account number that needs to be cited?

wokkaboy
12-06-2013, 12:45 AM
Hi Sfk,
think you have to send it via Australia Post, he said this yesterday
can you please send it, receiver pays, to:
Pit Bull Guitars
4 Jade Street
Mount Richon WA 6112

I'd wrap the neck fairly heavily in bubble wrap and assuming the receiver pays

Better wait for Adam to respond

adam
12-06-2013, 12:52 AM
Hey guys sfkhooper and have sorted this on email. Thanks.

sfkhooper
12-06-2013, 01:29 AM
I haven't seen any email from you, Adam?

adam
12-06-2013, 01:40 AM
Really sfk? I wonder who I've been talking to then? Anyhoo all I was saying was that you send it by Australia Post and tell the good folk at the PO that the receiver will pay. We then pay at our PO when it arrives here. I think Phil's already got your replacement neck off. Let me know if you need any other info. Cheers,

sfkhooper
12-06-2013, 01:54 AM
Ok, that's a bit weird, my email address should be attached to this profile, but I sent you an email this morning as well. Anyway, I've got more than enough info, will send the neck off today. Time to get this blog back onto more interesting things!

Brendan
12-06-2013, 03:42 AM
Sounds good - looking forward to seeing the end result!

sfkhooper
12-06-2013, 08:58 AM
First coat of high gloss lacquer is applied. I'm wrapped with the way it went onto the enamel base without soaking in. Now to wait 48 hours for curing.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2ynjlug.jpg

sfkhooper
12-06-2013, 09:04 AM
One of these days I'll get the DSLR camera out and take a decent pic so you can see the woodgrain peeping through. Looks amazing in sunlight.

Also, purchased black pickup surrounds and a swish truss cover today which should look great. $16 well spent I reckon.

Brendan
12-06-2013, 10:22 AM
Great to see you having some wins.

sfkhooper
13-06-2013, 04:17 AM
I'm going to get into the pre-build soldering, ie wire up the electronics on a sheet of cardboard. There are 4 x 500K pots, 2 marked A and 2 marked B. My question is which are the volume and which are the tone?

wokkaboy
13-06-2013, 04:28 AM
SFK I can't remember which pot is for tone and volume, have another read through Gav's post he probably mentioned it.
You should be able to do all the soldering outside the body minus the pickup live/earths and the earth to the bridge post

keloooe
13-06-2013, 04:31 AM
Hey Hooper, you might want to get a pair of pliers and remove the little nibs that stick out of 2 of your pots, they will make the pot sit at and angle, and that's not good!!!

wokkaboy
13-06-2013, 04:33 AM
Pest do you mean the nibs to stop the pot rotating on the face that touches the body ?

from memory the ES kit pots didn't have these, my vol and tone knobs were perpendicular to the body

sfkhooper
13-06-2013, 04:39 AM
Yep, no nibs here either. Incidentally, they're a desirable thing! They're meant to be pushed up into the soft wood from behind and act as a locking device to prevent rotation - working in conjunction with the pressure applied from the bolt above.

keloooe
13-06-2013, 04:42 AM
That's what lock washers are for as well!!!!

WeirdBits
13-06-2013, 04:48 AM
Unfortunately, the markings on pots aren't standard worldwide, so it can vary (http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/faq/40-technical-questions/174-what-does-pot-taper-mean-audio-log-linear). Typically, 'A' designates Logarithmic or Audio taper (used for volume), and 'B' designates Linear taper (used for tone). But log pots are sometimes used for tone as well, and vice versa. If you are unsure and have a multimeter you can measure the resistance at full position on the pot and then measure again at halfway position, if the resistance is ~50% at halfway then it should be a linear pot.

sfkhooper
13-06-2013, 04:49 AM
Indeed, but they're not actually lock washer. They're just washers.

Wokka, Gav's post is excellent but he doesn't mention which pots are which. I'm googling it.

sfkhooper
13-06-2013, 04:55 AM
Thanks WeirdBits for the explanation. I actually found a few articles discussing just that. I ran my multimeter across them and determined the the A500 pot reaches 250K at around the 3/10 position, whereas the B500 is evenly spread across 1-10, ie 250K at around the 5/10 position. So I'll use the B500K for volume and A500K for tone. All good!

sfkhooper
13-06-2013, 05:22 AM
Ready to solder!
http://i40.tinypic.com/2qtgv83.jpg

sfkhooper
13-06-2013, 06:07 AM
No problems
http://i40.tinypic.com/18zud1.jpg

Gavin1393
13-06-2013, 08:09 AM
Scott's post is exactly what I would have said. There is no standard unfortunately and his suggestion in terms of checking the resistance is the only way. You may also find that a 500k pot will actually measure somewhere between 400 and 600k! So a good thing is to try and match the resistance when installing pots.

Gavin1393
13-06-2013, 08:12 AM
/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from sfkhooper on June 12, 2013, 15:07
No problems
http://i40.tinypic.com/18zud1.jpg

Hmmmmm.....

I see therapy ahead!!

I'd make the joining wires a bit longer because they tend to knot up and or break off when you pull them through. The only way you can fix the issue is to undo EVERYTHING and start over. If the cabling is a bit longer you give yourself the option of only having to remove one or at most two of the pots.

I'd be taping up or putting heat-shrink on the exposed solder joints - that's if you aren't soldering these to the pots as a ground. Don't forget to earth/ground the bridge as well as each of the pots!

sfkhooper
14-06-2013, 01:14 AM
Thanks for your comments and tips, Gavin. Here's take 2, with longer wires, insulation and ground wires.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/sh47k-IMAG0361.jpg

sfkhooper
14-06-2013, 03:36 AM
Soundcheck, ok!

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/0q3ez-IMAG0362.jpg

wokkaboy
14-06-2013, 03:46 AM
sweet well done SFK,
you must have some electrical experience by the sounds, nice test rig there !

sfkhooper
14-06-2013, 04:20 AM
I'm either brave or mad. When sanding back the first topcoat I noticed a small glue mark on the back and decided to sand it right back. May as well take the time now to get it as perfect as possible. So here it is sanded back and after first corrective coat.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/938q7-IMAG0365.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/8mw0k-IMAG0366.jpg

sfkhooper
14-06-2013, 04:27 AM
Heaps actually, Wokka. Been an enthusiast all my life and some professional experience earlier in my career. It was actually the electronics side of things that drew me to kit guitars. Two of my interests in one!

Gavin1393
14-06-2013, 05:24 AM
Wiring set up looks way better. You can cancel those therapy sessions now!

wokkaboy
14-06-2013, 06:08 AM
yes I agree Gav, SFK could be the first ES builder not requiring therapy after the wiring has been installed.

SFK I could use some better electrical skills its my weakest point but I'm slowly improving !

I managed to install the ES wiring 1st time but I think that was luck !

sfkhooper
19-06-2013, 12:25 AM
New neck arrived today! Looks great! will gave to wait until the latest top coat cures before I can check for a good fit. Thanks heaps, Adam. I really appreciate it.

http://i44.tinypic.com/rsu0ep.jpg

sfkhooper
08-07-2013, 12:14 AM
After about 10 coats of top clear I really wasn't happy with where things were heading so I decided it was time to start again. I had applied too much top coat in some areas and was developing very slight sags. Also it was evident that there was pooling of varnish in the cutaways because every coat had been applied with the guitar body standing up. So I allowed a few days for curing and then sanded everything right back to wood. Aaaargh! Starting again...

Neck masked up for painting
http://i43.tinypic.com/v2v79z.jpg

Here's the neck after the second color coat - black headstock in true ES style
http://i39.tinypic.com/ok35mx.jpg

The back of the body, after sanding back, during and after first colour coat
http://i42.tinypic.com/9ut6p0.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/fvh5bb.jpg

Two coats of whitewash - ready for clear coats. It is said that everything happens for a reason. I reckon I'm much happier with the result this time. The colour is more even and the grain is peeping through beautifully. At this point I'm throwing my hat in the ring for GOTM August.
http://i44.tinypic.com/1196nas.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/2z54umt.jpg

Here's the neck drying after 2nd clear coat
http://i39.tinypic.com/2z8cgtf.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/2lmt45t.jpg

sfkhooper
08-07-2013, 12:58 AM
Damn you DropBox! If anyone knows how to get the truly public url of shared images on DropBox I'd be grateful. You can click the broken images above to see them.

You can no doubt see that I fixed that little problem above :)

sfkhooper
09-07-2013, 12:04 AM
Images finally sorted :)

Brendan
09-07-2013, 12:48 AM
Nice hanger! Great to see some alternatives to hang gear up! Overall looking good - looks like my bass and your ES are up for August... Maybe Pests LP???

sfkhooper
11-07-2013, 10:15 PM
Here's the latest pic, this after 5 coats of clear. Only another ten or so to go!
http://i43.tinypic.com/2u4ubh3.jpg

keloooe
11-07-2013, 10:25 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Brendan on July 8, 2013, 09:48
Nice hanger! Great to see some alternatives to hang gear up! Overall looking good - looks like my bass and your ES are up for August... Maybe Pests LP???
Good luck guys, the LP has a 95% chance of making it (just) hehehehehehe.....

Brendan
11-07-2013, 10:56 PM
Yep Hooper, that's going to be a sweet guitar when its all said and done. You've done a great job and you can tell from the photos and description.

sfkhooper
11-07-2013, 11:28 PM
Cheers, Brendan. I'm putting everything into this one. Looking forward to see yours come along. Seems like you've done some hard yards too.

Keloooe, your LP is looking pretty fine. Very unique look which seems to be working really well. I look forward to seeing it finished.

sfkhooper
22-07-2013, 10:37 PM
Working on the back now. This is 4 coats. Assembly time getting close!
http://i40.tinypic.com/zmyuc2.jpg

keloooe
22-07-2013, 10:54 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from sfkhooper on July 11, 2013, 08:28
Cheers, Brendan. I'm putting everything into this one. Looking forward to see yours come along. Seems like you've done some hard yards too.

Keloooe, your LP is looking pretty fine. Very unique look which seems to be working really well. I look forward to seeing it finished.
Cheers Hooper, it's looking pretty noice now!!! The finish isn't the whole of my expectations, but I'll do another one soon and get the total desired finish!

sfkhooper
25-07-2013, 03:28 AM
Finally have my last top coat done! Felt like it would never get there, but the results are well worth the wait. I'll give it a couple of days to cure and then glue the neck on. I've acquired some 5mm fish-filter tubing to help with the assembly of electronics via the f-hole. Can't wait to get into it!

sfkhooper
26-07-2013, 09:10 PM
Right on track, got the neck glued on last night. I also gave the body a light sand with 1200-grit in prep for its final all-over coat, which will go on tonight. Looks like assembly over the weekend!
http://i43.tinypic.com/6jh9u8.jpg

gavinturner
26-07-2013, 09:36 PM
Looking amazing! You must be really happy with how it's come out. Good luck with the electronics. Just about to start electronics on my own 335, so will be very interested to hear how you find the fish-pipe method. Awesome job!

Cheers,
Gavin.

sfkhooper
26-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Hey Gavin,

Thanks! I'm pretty thrilled with how it has turned out. Reckon it's going to look amazing on the wall.

I'm convinced the fish-pipe method is the best way to go; thanks so much for the post on this. Got myself 3 metres of the stuff the other day and have tested the fit, which is quite tight - excellent! I think I'll feed all the lines through, attach them to the pots/etc., and tie a knot in the other end to prevent them accidentally falling into the body. I did consider glueing down solder joints with silicone, but have done away with the idea now. I'm satisfied that the bottom of the pots were sufficiently roughed up and I trust my soldering. I think the circuit will survive the transition into its final resting place. We'll see soon enough :)

Fretworn
27-07-2013, 02:24 AM
http://www.rushisaband.com/images/200801/721.f.jpg

Now you just need gold hardware, including a neutered Gibson Vibrola tremelo and a tortoiseshell pickguard and you can almost have an Alex Lifeson 355. The stereo wiring and the additional rotary switch might be a problem though.

sfkhooper
27-07-2013, 02:55 AM
Yep, and the talent to wield the thing, that'd be nice too!

Gavin1393
27-07-2013, 03:54 AM
Sounds good to me!

dingobass
27-07-2013, 08:09 AM
Looks really good. Well done Hoops.

sfkhooper
28-07-2013, 01:49 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on July 26, 2013, 17:09
Looks really good. Well done Hoops.

Thanks, Dingo :)

sfkhooper
28-07-2013, 02:00 AM
HELP!! Just went to put on the bridge but have found what looks like a major problem. The holes for the tailpiece screws don't seem to be far enough apart! I can only fit the tailpiece with the bolts wound all the way out, and trying to screw them down from that position is impossible as I get about 1 turn on either side before they lock up. Seems like 2 or 3mm further apart needed

Same problem in reverse with the bridge, the holes are too far apart by 1 or 2mm.

Any thoughts on how I could tackle this?

http://i44.tinypic.com/2ufrdwg.jpg

Tim
28-07-2013, 02:52 AM
this should have been spotted at the initial mock up.
my twin neck sg had a similar issue, just took some gentle persuading and its right as rain

keloooe
28-07-2013, 03:05 AM
My LP had the same problem, since it was a solidbody, I used the bridge as a lever and tilted the mounting screws inward a bit, and it worked wonders, the bridge is solid! But i doubt it will work for you Hoops...

sfkhooper
28-07-2013, 06:31 AM
problem all sorted! persuaded it gently with a drill! :) Here's the final assembly underway with the help of my beautiful assistant, Kerrie.
http://i40.tinypic.com/b9atmd.jpg

sfkhooper
28-07-2013, 06:36 AM
Using Gavin's method of feeding the components through the f-hole. Worked a treat!

http://i40.tinypic.com/esknlk.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/21bu5nd.jpg

sfkhooper
28-07-2013, 06:39 AM
I thought this one was worth taking just to show what a big operation assembly really is. It was touch and go, but the patient pulled through.

http://i43.tinypic.com/28u2yhh.jpg

sfkhooper
28-07-2013, 06:41 AM
And here's the finished product! Well, almost finished, I plan another tweak or two. But I am thrilled with the way it all turned out. And it sounds pretty damn fine too!

http://i40.tinypic.com/2q86j4j.jpg

sfkhooper
28-07-2013, 06:46 AM
And she looks pretty sweet on the wall too :)

http://i39.tinypic.com/2vailpi.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/2a61fgo.jpg

28-07-2013, 07:32 AM
i like that finish ,, very classy neat and clean ,, has that classic look ,, also looks good in the middle of the others on your wall ,

sfkhooper
28-07-2013, 11:30 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from muffbuffer69er on July 27, 2013, 16:32
i like that finish ,, very classy neat and clean ,, has that classic look ,, also looks good in the middle of the others on your wall ,

Thanks mate, I appreciate it ;)

Andyport
29-07-2013, 10:34 PM
OMG...that's one hell of an operating theatre.
Where's the "Machine that goes PING!"...(one for the Monty Python fans)
At least you had your assistant to wipe your brow!!

Looks sweet as, really clean and simple. Got the ES-1GT awaiting me now as my second build.
This has got me all excited...they really do look the goods!
Makes you proud to think you built it, hey....good work.

Gavin1393
29-07-2013, 11:51 PM
/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from sfkhooper on July 27, 2013, 15:36
Using Gavin's method of feeding the components through the f-hole. Worked a treat!

If I had a dollar for each build Using my method I'd have about $5 so far!!! :)

Bass Guy
30-07-2013, 12:00 AM
Gorgeous! Love the white Lifeson-esque finish!

sfkhooper
30-07-2013, 12:36 AM
Andy, Good luck with your ES. I would really recommend using Gavin's fish-tube method when you do. Made an otherwise daunting challenge dead simple!

Gavin, you might have your 6th dollar coming up! :)

Bass Guy, I'll definitely be taking that one as a compliment! Thanks!

Have I mentioned the guitar actually sounds amazing as well? :)

pablopepper
30-07-2013, 01:22 AM
Hey Hooper, I hope this one's going up for GOTM. Understated and lovely.

rhay
30-07-2013, 01:55 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from pablopepper on July 29, 2013, 10:22
... I hope this one's going up for GOTM..

Dont't enter it!! Some of us still hold out hope of winning? ;)

Great result after a long journey - definitely in my top 3 this month.

Fretworn
30-07-2013, 02:08 AM
http://i39.tinypic.com/2vailpi.jpg

I looks great. (And there's a space for one more on the wall as well. I wish I could have a room like that.)

keloooe
30-07-2013, 02:33 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from rhay on July 29, 2013, 10:55

/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from pablopepper on July 29, 2013, 10:22
... I hope this one's going up for GOTM..

Dont't enter it!! Some of us still hold out hope of winning? ;)

Great result after a long journey - definitely in my top 3 this month.
I know, there are a few of us who want to take out a first GOTM as well!!

sfkhooper
31-07-2013, 01:29 AM
I have a couple more small customisations to perform before declaring it finished. I'm hearing a lot of support to enter it into GOTM, so why not? :) Might be a week or more before I get it together though.

sfkhooper
31-07-2013, 01:34 AM
Oh, I've just realised how the judging periods work. Looks like I'm out for August after all. September GOTM though, I got my eye on it!!

Tim
02-08-2013, 02:46 AM
Very nice classy build
Well done

dvous
03-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Congrats on a beautiful job.

One day, I may have a go at a 335, but I must admit the "operating theatre" photo looks a little daunting....

stan
04-08-2013, 11:41 PM
Beautiful looking guitar mate, I have a lefty Es inbound soon, this thread will be a great help along with Gavs tube idea.