PDA

View Full Version : Best Strat Wiring Setup available???

keloooe
08-06-2013, 01:18 AM
Hmmm.... StewMac seem to have too much fun wiring stuff to do...
So, for the StratoPester, I thought of a really neat wiring setup!!!!

Pickups: Golden Age Overwound Humbucker (bridge) with 2 Golden Age P-90's
Switch: CRL 5-Way Lever Switch
Wire: Vintage Push-back Wire
Controls: Alpha Push-pull Pot for Volume AND Tone, then normal Alpha pots for special wiring!
Capacitor: Orange Drop for the win!!!!
Special Wiring???: One pot is to coil-cut the humbucker (Erick Coleman has done it!!!), and the other pot is to have the Black Ice pre-amp in it!!!!

To me, it seems like a really cool setup, give your opinions!

Gavin1393
08-06-2013, 01:42 AM
I think you should finish wiring your LP before attempting this configuration! :)
Are you talking Alnico 2's or 5's in the pickups?
How about some DTDP switches to enhance some of the tones? Kill switch?

Bass Guy
08-06-2013, 01:49 AM
You sure about the Black Ice option?....never been a fan of its sound...

keloooe
08-06-2013, 02:23 AM
I kind of like the Black Ice, especially with my custom pups that one of my mates made a prototype of for me (which I need to get building ASAP!!!!), but through anything else, I don't like it, what did you hear the BI through bass guy???

keloooe
08-06-2013, 02:30 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on June 7, 2013, 10:42
I think you should finish wiring your LP before attempting this configuration! :)
Are you talking Alnico 2's or 5's in the pickups?
How about some DTDP switches to enhance some of the tones? Kill switch?
Alnico 5 for all pups, and 2 DPDT switches are in the final StratoPester design, that would take some routing and drilling, and I don't want to pay any more than I already am for the build!!! The mini toggles are for phase reversal of the bridge pickup and also for the p-90's, and yes, I was thinking of a kill switch!!! Hmmmm.... maybe even a cap selector....

Bass Guy
08-06-2013, 02:31 AM
I heard a MexiStrat which was modded with the BI, and it was horribly shrill. Almost abrasive.

The youtube demos I have seen on it aren't that flash either. Mind you, if you trust the GA pups you might have a winner.

keloooe
08-06-2013, 04:27 AM
Yeah, GA pups are really noice!!!