PDA

View Full Version : Blank Headstocks?

rhay
07-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Team,

I have been having a little chat with Adam about headstocks.

Basically the thing is this; I would like the option to order a larger, partially-shaped (less developed/complete) headstock, which has no machine head holes.

We can already do this as a special order, however Adam suggested I mention it to the Forum and see if anyone else is interested in making it an option.

The current standard PB headstocks are excellent and (in my view) a great balance between ready-made and unfinished. Perfect for both learner and more advanced builders alike.

However it might be nice to start with a "blank canvas" sometimes?

What do you all think about that?

Fretworn
07-06-2013, 11:29 AM
I'd probably only want a blank headstock if I was going to mutate the guitar into a 12-string. (And this is a thought that has crossed my mind) But on the whole I would prefer a headstock that was already drilled, because I don't have a drillpress.

Gavin1393
07-06-2013, 11:37 AM
I'd like the option to have a "paddle type headstock' that can be shaped. The issue I suspect will be that to have it as a standard option will require a considerable investment on Adams part?
Further, many of the less experience will be horrified at trying to drill holes themselves and only those who have the proper equipment and experience will feel comfortable doing it.
That being said, i'd be for it if it made financial sense to Adam and didn't alter the pricing too much of the kits?

keloooe
07-06-2013, 09:02 PM
Hmmm.... But what about us hobbyists who just wanna build these for fun? I don't have the tools to do the drilling cleanly

rhay
07-06-2013, 09:20 PM
My intro must have been a bit ambiguous, sorry.

I am not suggesting that we replace the current headstock, it is excellent. I am just exploring the possibility of(and interest in) adding an option to have kits supplied with a blank headstock.

keloooe
07-06-2013, 11:59 PM
Hmmmmm... a Strat with a 4/2 headstock...

wokkaboy
08-06-2013, 12:11 AM
yer that would be cool Pest, surely your woodwork class at school has a drill press ?

keloooe
08-06-2013, 12:24 AM
Yea they do, they have 4, but my woodwork teacher always says no to me when I want to use the machinery for guitar work, he said no straight away when I asked him to use the handsaws to cut the LP headstock :(

Analyst69
08-06-2013, 12:35 AM
What a short-sighted teacher.

Surely he would want to take some of the glory for having taught you your base woodwork skills when you become a world class luthier (and be able to talk about how he accommodated your needs when you were working on your first guitar kit) :)

keloooe
08-06-2013, 01:20 AM
yea ikr!!!

wokkaboy
08-06-2013, 01:29 AM
yer Pest your woodwork teacher sounds like a real @rsehole !
I remember my wood work teacher was pretty harsh too ! He threw pieces of wood at you if you were'nt paying attention !

Analyst69
08-06-2013, 02:11 AM
Did you go to school in Canberra Wokka?

Mine did that too (I used to have a whole bunch of sneaky lathe projects on the go which I worked on when he left the room, so I possibly deserved it when he came back to find me on the lathe :))

keloooe
08-06-2013, 02:33 AM
Well, my woodwork teacher is actually really nice, he just doesn't want me in the woodwork room if it isn't a class, he might change his mind one day...
I will ask him again when I start making nuts, I don't want to have a vise on the pool table!!!

wokkaboy
08-06-2013, 02:49 AM
@ Pest -> yer Pest keep hassling your teacher till he gives up. Surely he'd let you use a drill press would take 5 mins to drill a tuner holes on the headstock if it was marked out
@ Analyst -> no I went to school in Perth, always been a WA boy, maybe my teacher moved to Canberra, his name was Ernie Gravnel but I'd say its common for woodwork teachers to throw wood at students !

Analyst69
08-06-2013, 02:57 AM
Quote from wokkaboy on June 7, 2013, 11:49
@ Pest -> yer Pest keep hassling your teacher till he gives up. Surely he'd let you use a drill press would take 5 mins to drill a tuner holes on the headstock if it was marked out
@ Analyst -> no I went to school in Perth, always been a WA boy, maybe my teacher moved to Canberra, his name was Ernie Gravnel but I'd say its common for woodwork teachers to throw wood at students !

You're probably right Wokka. Classroom teachers threw chalk (or the duster), Woodwork teachers threw wood...whatever potential projectile is handy :)

rhay
08-06-2013, 05:48 AM
Quote from keloooe on June 7, 2013, 08:59
Hmmmmm... a Strat with a 4/2 headstock...

Funny you should mention that. After reading the Community Kit thread I whipped these up.

The top one is done using the current headstock.

The shaded holes on the lower (4/2) are where the holes would be on the current PB headstock - however this would not be a problem on a true blank.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/ox827-pitbull-headstocks.JPG

wokkaboy
08-06-2013, 05:55 AM
the 4/2 headstock looks orsome well done with the drawings Rhay !
the 4/2 headstock can be so much smaller too !

rhay
08-06-2013, 10:09 AM
Thanks Wokka.

Gavin1393
08-06-2013, 12:32 PM
Good stuff Rhay! Looks fantastic!

Brendan
08-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Looks good Rhay... Personally 6/0 for me - 4/2 looks a little underdone for me when you compare it with the body...

rhay
09-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Quote from Brendan on June 7, 2013, 21:45
4/2 looks a little underdone for me when you compare it with the body...

I hear you. I have a 4/2 design which is more balanced, it's broader (taller) and allows the logo to sit in the centre. However it will not work on the standard PB blank, as these will.

Brendan
09-06-2013, 12:59 PM
Fair enough!