PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding or removing broken tuner screws

Gavin1393
07-06-2013, 12:55 AM
Not too many have posted issues on this but I know I have snapped a few in my 28 builds to date!!

The best solution is to avoid the problem in the first place. Using a 2mm drill bit, drill the hole for tuner screw to the appropriate depth, then use the screw started bit from the Guitar Repair Tool Kit pictured below.

If you choose to ignore this and break the screw in the hole you have little option but to use the screw extractor (pictured below) and then plug the hole, repaint and start again with that hole.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/25z8x-image.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/556x6-image.jpg

keloooe
07-06-2013, 01:24 AM
That was the first thing I thought of Gav!!!

Gavin1393
07-06-2013, 01:41 AM
What was?

MikeL
07-06-2013, 02:02 AM
You guys with the cool toys :) .... My kit comprises a jigsaw, hammer drill, screwdrivers and pliers :)

wokkaboy
07-06-2013, 02:23 AM
thanks for the tips Gav, I've never broken a tuner screw (touch wood) but have broken the drill at least twice. I use a 1.5mm drill for a tighter grip on the thread so my risk of breaking a 1.5mm drill is much higher.
What do those kits cost roughly ?

keloooe
07-06-2013, 02:29 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on June 6, 2013, 10:41
What was?
The Screwdriver set and the cutter was the first thing I thought of!!!

Gavin1393
07-06-2013, 02:34 AM
The screw extractor kit is a ridiculous $65....so avoidance is far better than needing a cure. The tool kit was $40 which I also felt was on the expensive side, but I liked the kit so much I bought a second one... actually the second one was forced on me because the screw starter bit (which is extremely useful) snapped in one of the metal tuner cases because the metal hole was too narrow. I now check these every time....expensive lesson learned!

keloooe
07-06-2013, 03:08 AM
Yer, I have the screwdriver set waiting for me to pay up the $136 (my order also has a razor file, an overwound humbucker, the ESP Multi Spanner, and also a Tremolo Spring Installer) :D

rhay
07-06-2013, 07:28 AM
One of the pre-toy period methods used to be using a check-plate and drill - cheap but not always easy.

It involved using a piece of steel, with a hole the size of the screw shank, as a guide - check-plate. The plate is then clamped over the broken screw, aligned with the guide hole directly over the top, then carefully use a drill bit to drill out the stuck screw shank.

It was advisable to flatten-off the exposed end of the screw (if possible), so the drill would not be deflected by a burr. It was also a good idea to get one of the older tradesmen to do fix........it was pretty tricky.

I reckon $65 sounds pretty good!

dingobass
07-06-2013, 08:25 AM
Like Gav, I bought a second screw driver set but not 'cause I broke one... just 'cause I loved it so much I wanted a spare. (ended up giving to a buddy for his Birthday, he loves it as much as I do)

The screw extractor kit is one of the best gadgets I own.
The plug cutter has come in very handy on a few refit, restoration and upgrade jobs.
It has more than paid for itself:)

The thing with good quality tools is this. Pay the dollars and you will have a tool that should last a lifetime AND pay for it's self.

dingobass
07-06-2013, 08:30 AM
Quote from wokkaboy on June 6, 2013, 11:23
I've never broken a tuner screw (touch wood) but have broken the drill at least twice. I use a 1.5mm drill for a tighter grip on the thread so my risk of breaking a 1.5mm drill is much higher.

Hey Woks, no need to go for an ultra tight grip on tuner screws.
I use a 2mm bit as the screws are only there to stop the tuner spinning.
As long as there is a bit of bite onto the thread, all is cool.

tcjbrown
07-06-2013, 07:09 PM
That screwdriver set's on my next stewmac order!

tcjbrown
07-06-2013, 07:10 PM
Hey DB does it have a bit for threading the neck holes?

dingobass
07-06-2013, 09:47 PM
Quote from tcjbrown on June 7, 2013, 04:10
Hey DB does it have a bit for threading the neck holes?

Not really, the screw starters go up to number 5.
This kit is really designed for all the other screws and hex head bolts found on most Guitars.

My trick with neck screw holes is to use an old screw to cut the thread, and I also use a tiny amount of soap on the end of the screw to help it on its way.

Gavin1393
07-06-2013, 09:55 PM
I read up somewhere that you should always use a drill bit that is 2/3 of the diameter of the screw. I then tape up the depth of the screw on the actual drill bit so that I don't drill too far and proceed with caution. So far so good!

Gavin1393
07-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Quote from dingobass on June 6, 2013, 17:25
Like Gav, I bought a second screw driver set but not 'cause I broke one... just 'cause I loved it so much I wanted a spare. (ended up giving to a buddy for his Birthday, he loves it as much as I do)

The screw extractor kit is one of the best gadgets I own.
The plug cutter has come in very handy on a few refit, restoration and upgrade jobs.
It has more than paid for itself:)

The thing with good quality tools is this. Pay the dollars and you will have a tool that should last a lifetime AND pay for it's self.

I had seen the screw driver kit before on StewMac but thought it expensive. That was until DB recommended it too me after a discussion about broken tuner screws. It has pretty much everything you would need to take a guitar apart and put it back together again in the screw driver department. Plus the screw thread starters are worth the price of admission on their own! I wonder how many forum members would want these? Maybe we can organise a bulk order from SM if there is enough interest?

tcjbrown
08-06-2013, 12:51 AM
I register my interest :)

keloooe
08-06-2013, 01:20 AM
Yes!!! I want one NOW!!!!

wokkaboy
08-06-2013, 01:26 AM
yer 4D would like to order a SM screw kit

Analyst69
08-06-2013, 02:07 AM
I've been eying these off for quite a while so would be interested if there was some sort of bulk order...

todd_sh
03-01-2014, 10:32 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Gavin1393 on June 6, 2013, 09:55
Not too many have posted issues on this but I know I have snapped a few in my 28 builds to date!!

The best solution is to avoid the problem in the first place. Using a 2mm drill bit, drill the hole for tuner screw to the appropriate depth, then use the screw started bit from the Guitar Repair Tool Kit pictured below.

If you choose to ignore this and break the screw in the hole you have little option but to use the screw extractor (pictured below) and then plug the hole, repaint and start again with that hole.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/25z8x-image.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/556x6-image.jpg

So, given we clearly didn't avoid the problem, I'm wondering if anyone ever found these drill bits in Australia? I can find the SM ones, and quite few others, but no one in Australia. Any tips?
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/to758-image.jpg
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/ekd97-image.jpg
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/6y5nx-image.jpg

AJ
03-01-2014, 10:40 AM
Hore n Forbes? or Ebay? Also try a few different Good machinery/tool supplier in your state

dingobass
03-01-2014, 02:25 PM
only place i have seen the dedicated guitar set is SM..

stan
04-01-2014, 09:25 AM
try somewhere like All Tools

AJ
04-01-2014, 10:27 AM
On reflection, If you take a look at the tool, it is only a "plug cutter" or dowel cutter, you should be able to buy them individually in that big green shed. It extracts the broken screw via cutting a plug.

The term of screw extractor is totally miss used in this situation as it is not an "easy out" which is a tapered tool with a reverse helix on it and is specifically designed for the purpose of removing broken studs, bolts etc.

todd_sh
07-01-2014, 12:58 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from AJ on January 3, 2014, 19:27
On reflection, If you take a look at the tool, it is only a "plug cutter" or dowel cutter, you should be able to buy them individually in that big green shed. It extracts the broken screw via cutting a plug.

The term of screw extractor is totally miss used in this situation as it is not an "easy out" which is a tapered tool with a reverse helix on it and is specifically designed for the purpose of removing broken studs, bolts etc.

Thanks AJ, I thought of that, but the smallest plug cutter I could find (in the big blue shed) was 6mm ... which will come in handy at some point as it cuts a hole perfect for a tuning peg!

In doubt, I followed my DADBD rule (DO as Dingo Bass Does) - and bought the SM kit ... and given I took a week or so to make the decision I paid $30 for express postage too! hahaha