PDA

View Full Version : Wudtone Vs Nitro

Gavin1393
05-06-2013, 01:50 AM
Ok, so there's this debate going on. Does the finish you use make a difference to the tone of the guitar?
So being the obliging sort of fellow that I am I went off to Cash Converters and acquired two identical Fender Squirer guitars. Even the colours of the guitar are identical....well, were identical!

After many, many hours of sanding, this is what I have!
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/6k7t4-Guitar-Blue.gif
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/60psz-photo-2.gif
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/fms8a-photo-3.gif

Gavin1393
05-06-2013, 01:52 AM
The above are progress shots. I have since completely taken off all residue down to the bare wood and insulated the control cavity too. The next step is to paint the freshly sanded body and neck with Wudtone and to then compare the sound of the two guitars which were for all purposes indistinguishable when I got them home and tried each one out.

wokkaboy
05-06-2013, 01:59 AM
Crikey Gav thats massive dedication to prove the debate of wudtone vs nitro. What wudtone colour you applying on the sanded strat ?

As long as both guitar specs and insulation are identical other than the finish this should give us the answer/proof we are all hanging out to know!

well done Gav !

rhay
05-06-2013, 02:23 AM
Awesome!!

Once this is done the next step would be to test two identical bodies with laminated tops. There is a theory that placing a feature grain (veneer) across the body of the guitar creates a bridging staunch, binding the timber and retarding the resonance of the face in a similar way to hard finishes.

If the difference shown in this experiment is a marked one (which I expect/hope it will be) I will gladly buy and complete the Nitro example of a LP-1M (or similar). I'm assuming the flame top is a veneer on these?

Really looking forward to hearing the result. Thanks Gav!

wokkaboy
05-06-2013, 03:07 AM
Quote from rhay on June 4, 2013, 11:23
I'm assuming the flame top is a veneer on these?

Really looking forward to hearing the result. Thanks Gav!

yes Ray the flame maple and spalted maple LP kits have a veneer

phloggy
05-06-2013, 03:15 AM
Did you record both "before"?

I was thinking of doing a similar thing with some of the ST1 kits, but this way makes sense as well, as you could also get a "before & after" as well as a "side-by-side".

Gavin1393
05-06-2013, 04:23 AM
Quote from phloggy on June 4, 2013, 12:15
Did you record both "before"?

I was thinking of doing a similar thing with some of the ST1 kits, but this way makes sense as well, as you could also get a "before & after" as well as a "side-by-side".

I have indeed, but I'm keeping the audio files to myself as I want to post links to these and let people decide which they think sounds best....

robin
05-06-2013, 05:12 AM
Wow Gav, a big investment in time AND money. You are a dedicate chap aren't you.

Well, this should put the debate to bed once and for all. Very interested in the result.

Thanks for the effort mate.

rob

rhay
05-06-2013, 05:26 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on June 4, 2013, 13:23

I have indeed, but I'm keeping the audio files to myself as I want to post links to these and let people decide which they think sounds best....[/quote]

What a good idea. Double-blind type comparisons would be excellent.

They were hilarious 25-years ago when we were all arguing CD v. Vinyl!

Brendan
05-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Gav - above and beyond!

Wouldn't 2 x ST-1's be cheaper?

dingobass
05-06-2013, 09:54 AM
still prefer vinyl..........

jase
05-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Please keep us informed. Answers should be interesting. Cheers Gav.

Gavin1393
05-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Quote from Brendan on June 4, 2013, 18:19
Gav - above and beyond!

Wouldn't 2 x ST-1's be cheaper?

Only if Adam dropped the price to $80 and offered free postage!! ;)

Brendan
05-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Sounds like you got a good deal then. Waiting in anticipation for the results...

rhay
05-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Quote from dingobass on June 4, 2013, 18:54

Damn, I should have kept my stupid mouth shut. ;)

I don't think I have the energy to have THAT discussion again!

keloooe
05-06-2013, 09:01 PM
Actually, I like vinyl!!! My mates own a few Green Day vinyls, and they have them goin when they are just chillin with their awesome Axe collections!

dingobass
05-06-2013, 10:27 PM
Quote from rhay on June 4, 2013, 21:08

Damn, I should have kept my stupid mouth shut. ;)

I don't think I have the energy to have THAT discussion again!

You cant beat the CD for ease of use, durability etc.

In all reality, unless you own a really high end sound system it is nigh on impossible to tell the diff between CD and Vinyl..... except for the hiss and pop of an older, much loved and well played record :)

The thing is, vinyl reminds us of the "old" days, and we have these romantic reminiscence moments of when we were young and beautiful when we see a vinyl record....

Brendan
05-06-2013, 10:46 PM
Vinyl, CD's - what are they? Can't remember the last time I pulled a CD out to listen to - all my stuff's digital, and with the quality of my gear (low), you can't tell the difference.

Gavin1393
06-06-2013, 01:15 AM
Will you Vinyl Nerds stop hi-jacking my thread! ;) :) :)

rhay
06-06-2013, 01:18 AM
Sorry Gav, my fault.

But one thing I think must be said about vinyl is.........

Gavin1393
06-06-2013, 01:34 AM
Luckily I have clean-up privileges! Now where's my broom and delete button! haha

dvous
06-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Vinyl vs CD is largely pointless for modern music because almost everything beyond the late 1970's was either recorded and/or mastered in digital before being converted back to analogue for vinyl records.

CDs are of much higher quality than digital downloads because of the lossy compression techniques used by iTunes etc. to squeeze the data file sizes down to something that downloads relatively quickly. Music CDs don't use data compression.

dingobass
06-06-2013, 01:50 PM
Can anyone else spot the oxymoron here?
I downloaded Joe Walshe's latest album, Analogue Man, from iTunes..............WTF!

wokkaboy
07-06-2013, 12:50 AM
Quote from dingobass on June 5, 2013, 22:50
I downloaded Joe Walshe's latest album, Analogue Man, from iTunes..............WTF!

yer nice one DB you downloaded Analogue Man in digital format !

have you listened to it yet ? worth downloading ?

GlennGP
07-06-2013, 12:58 AM
I'll be very interested to see/hear the outcome, Gav. I was talking to a stringed acoustic maniac on the weekend about Wudtone and I couldn't find the right description to explain why you might get a superior tone out of something solid that's not wrapped in plastic. His thinking revolves around hollow-bodies (violins, mandolins, banjos, sitars, bazoukis, etc) so, to him, the finish on a solid body couldn't make much difference. I'd love to point him at some solid empirical evidence!

Gavin1393
10-06-2013, 11:38 AM
Given the strat # 1 a dark stain to bring out the grain in the wood. Whilst these guitars are part of an experiment I don't see why they shouldn't look great!
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/f683x-image.jpg

rhay
10-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Won't take much to improve on that blue. ;)

(not to detract from the Wudtone)

Brendan
10-06-2013, 12:02 PM
Gee - that already looks so much better!

Bass Guy
10-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Quick query on the shielding: what paint did you use in the cavities?

dingobass
10-06-2013, 12:53 PM
You can get paint on shielding from Stewmac.... but I wouldn’t bother with it as you need to put about 50 million coats to make it sort of work..... I would use Aluminium shielding tape before I bothered with paint on crap again!

dingobass
10-06-2013, 12:54 PM
Quote from wokkaboy on June 6, 2013, 09:50

Quote from dingobass on June 5, 2013, 22:50

yer nice one DB you downloaded Analogue Man in digital format !

have you listened to it yet ? worth downloading ?

Great album, yet another brilliant and tongue in cheek album from the Master.

Gavin1393
10-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Quote from dingobass on June 9, 2013, 21:53
You can get paint on shielding from Stewmac.... but I wouldn’t bother with it as you need to put about 50 million coats to make it sort of work..... I would use Aluminium shielding tape before I bothered with paint on crap again!

Needed to hide the blue...

Gavin1393
14-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Tired of sanding, reckon I have sanded enough wood to last for a few months over only the past week.

Here are the three guitars that used to be covered in Nitro...nov covered in a first coat of Concho Girl( thats what the bottle says) but it looks more like Carmine Gypsy, second guitar is Cherry Flamenco, third guitar is Goldenrod.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/q5swj-image.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/j24bs-image.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/4ppp8-image.jpg

wokkaboy
14-06-2013, 02:42 PM
Looking good Gav, you will have sanders elbow soon. That cherry is looking nice and deep. I'm a bit suspicious of the concho girl label!

Gavin1393
15-06-2013, 01:40 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from wokkaboy on June 13, 2013, 23:42
Looking good Gav, you will have sanders elbow soon. That cherry is looking nice and deep. I'm a bit suspicious of the concho girl label!

You and me both, my daughter will be devastated!

Gavin1393
18-07-2013, 08:38 AM
Two of the three rebuilt guitars and how they look now.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/wq1sl-image.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/v63mp-image.jpg

rhay
18-07-2013, 08:48 AM
I was just talking about this topic with someone today - great to see it's on-going.

They certainly look nicer, although they don't look like the original pickguards. will the hardware, cabling and electronics be identical to the solid-colour versions?

Gavin1393
18-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Tests already done with the older stuff attached, same pickguards, pickups etc. i will be organising a way to do the assessment shortly.

dingobass
18-07-2013, 11:49 AM
So looking forward to hearing the big test!

dingobass
18-07-2013, 11:50 AM
BTW, the guitars look fab!

rhay
18-07-2013, 12:08 PM
Cool. Some of that hardware looks new on the fresh bodies - the Wudtone has really effected the look of the instruments!

If you have reasonably uniform (note for note) samples from each instrument I can run them through the analyzer and get some hardcore data one each result?

Even with more "random" pieces of audio some comparative data can still be gained, but the results will be more generalised.

Can I suggest some double-blind type tests?

Two audio samples from each instrument, comprised typically a "before" and an "after", although throwing in one set of samples that were taken from the same guitar would be funny. These samples could then be published to the group, anonymously labelled as A and B, allowing us to choose our favourite sounds and also take a stab at which we believe is the nitro or Wudtone.

In the late 80's and early 90's I was part of a number of double-blind tests for both CD v. Vinyl and Analogue v. Digital recording. The results were always interesting.

Gavin1393
18-07-2013, 01:42 PM
Might be a bit late to suggest note for note tests.....I aint putting Nitro back on these beauties!!!
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/c26t3-image.jpg

Gavin1393
18-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Close ups

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/ajtvx-image.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/7oy43-image.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/c16y1-image.jpg

keloooe
18-07-2013, 02:07 PM
Gibson knobs on a Fender???
Eh, they looks great Gav, care to tell us the awesome colours?

rhay
18-07-2013, 09:31 PM
[quote]/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Gavin1393 on July 17, 2013, 22:42
Might be a bit late to suggest note for note tests.....I aint putting Nitro back on these beauties!!![quote]

What?! So slack.. send 'em down here, I'll do it. ;)

Fair enough though. Do you think it will be possible to mimic the first recordings and create similarly structured samples?

Fretworn
19-07-2013, 02:13 AM
I especially like the one with the humbuckers, but they all look awesome.

wokkaboy
19-07-2013, 03:08 AM
yer Gav those 3 strats look sweet, looks like quite a few hardware changes, so will it be a fair comparison ?

Rhay sounds interesting the blind test and the analyser

what are you planning to do with the strats Gav, keep them in your collection ?

keloooe
19-07-2013, 03:29 AM
Hmmmm... I see that there is a Strat wooth H/S/H config... the other two are S/S/S config, that will void any form of result, unless the middle pups are the same....

Gavin1393
19-07-2013, 10:52 AM
The sound tests were done after I completed the Wudtone but BEFORE I upgraded the components. I kept the original pickguards intact and had to merely ground the bridge and reattach the output Jack. It is my intention to provide 10 samples....3 from each guitar with a red herring included which would be a second sample from one of the guitars. Tone deaf individuals who cannot tell the difference will be excluded from the sample if they have these samples at opposite ends of the spectrum.... :)

Gavin1393
19-07-2013, 10:55 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from rhay on July 18, 2013, 06:31
Do you think it will be possible to mimic the first recordings and create similarly structured samples?

The way I play guitar? Tough ask! ;)

rhay
19-07-2013, 10:59 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Gavin1393 on July 18, 2013, 19:55

The way I play guitar? Tough ask! ;)

[/quote]

Such honesty must be rewarded ;|

Looking forward to having a listen. The new finishes certainly win visually, hands down!

Gavin1393
19-07-2013, 11:00 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from wokkaboy on July 18, 2013, 12:08
yer Gav those 3 strats look sweet, looks like quite a few hardware changes, so will it be a fair comparison ?

Rhay sounds interesting the blind test and the analyser

what are you planning to do with the strats Gav, keep them in your collection ?

Thanks Wokka

Definitely keeping two of them...may further upgrade the third one's PUP's and keep that one too!!! Wife may have different thoughts on this!

The samples for each guitar will be based on Nitro with original Pups, Wudtone with original Pups, Wudtone with Upgraded Pups...one of which are actually Pitbull Pups!

Pest, they are just knobs now and these are no longer Fenders but Bramley Guitars! ;)

keloooe
19-07-2013, 11:09 AM
Mmmmmmm... That Carmine Strat is what the StratoPester should look like!!!

stan
14-08-2013, 03:06 AM
looking forward to the results Gav.

Would also be interesting to do it all to the one guitar - apply one finish, strip, reapply another and redo the sound test - very labour intensive, but an awesome comparison....

Gavin1393
14-08-2013, 05:35 AM
I have everything done. Just have to find the time to post the results.

stan
16-08-2013, 09:49 AM
cool, waiting.....

Brendan
16-08-2013, 11:16 AM
Gav - having seen the bodies in person - you have done a great job and I can understand why Cashies would be more than happy to sell them for you. Congratulations - just glad they won't be appearing in a GOTM soon...

axeman
21-08-2013, 06:33 AM
what about tru-oil ??

dingobass
21-08-2013, 09:49 AM
Axeman... Go and sit in the naughty corner.... :)

axeman
22-08-2013, 07:55 AM
come on db,, theres got to be a alternative ?? ,, with out referring to the above ,, a oil finish should be in this test its used so widely in the industry with great results

dingobass
22-08-2013, 09:12 AM
No arguments from me on using oil finishes, Axeman... I use them all the time.
Wudtone is an oil and wax based product after all.

The only problem I have with using T O is it is full of silica,(incredibly finely ground up glass) and although it is a brilliant product for rifle stocks, (which it was invented primarily for), the use of any product that contains silica on musical instruments may lead to some serious issues down the track, not to mention affecting the tone by clogging up the pores with glass.

I have read many glowing reports about using T O on Guitars on many forums.. But...
Some of my colleagues have had Guitars that were stripped and re finished in T O come into their workshops for repairs some years after being re finished.

What they found is it was nigh impossible to re glue nuts, replace finger boards and the like because the silica in the product resists glues.

One found that the T O had penetrated between the finger board and neck, possibly causing them to separate but definitely rendering the whole thing non repairable.

I don’t particularly enjoy raining on any ones parade, I probably should have spoken up earlier but it is not my place to tell people what finishes they should use, rather it my place to guide and assist you.

At the end of the day, those of you who are using T O may never experience any problems and will enjoy the high gloss finish it gives

Personally though, I am not a fan of the high gloss as to my eye, it reflects so much light that it has the effect of masking rather than enhancing the grain and figure of timber.

pablopepper
22-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the heads up DB, I had only heard positive things on other build sites. I was considering using Tru oil on my next kit. Still might, food for thought though.

wokkaboy
23-08-2013, 12:42 AM
I've started an experiment with a spare ST-1 body that's been finished in golden rod wudtone, I've applied 2 coats of tru oil, will continue to put about 10-15 more thin coats of T O on to see how it turns out, so I'll start a diary soon and take some photos. If it doesn't work out I'll sand it back and start again ! Problem is it may take time for the T O to react with the wudtone - stay tuned

robin
23-08-2013, 12:51 AM
Thanks Phil, very informative and well researched and balanced article. With your wealth of knowledge and that of your colleagues it is very interesting to here the other side of the Tru-Oil debate. As Craig said, definitely food for thought.

The reason that we all build these guitars is probably as varied as the final results we produce. For me it is the build that is probably the primary motivating factor. Longevity of the guitar is not important to me, but for those much younger than I and those who would like to produce a masterpiece that is kept in the family and passed down to the next generation the decision of whether or not use T-O should be considered very carefully.

A must read for anybody considering using T-O in the future.

Thanks mate
rob

dingobass
23-08-2013, 08:31 AM
Thanks Rob.

I was worried that I may have come over as a know it all pratt... but to me all of your builds are just as precious as they are to you and I would love nothing more than for all your builds live on and be played long after we are all gone to our prospective rewards.

I guess the old adage of less is best may well be applied to the use of TO.
So rather than the fifty thousand coats (slight exaggeration there DB) try for three or four and let each coat cure for at least 24 hours before re coating.

The reason I say this is after todays conversation with a friend who is a Gun Smith and uses TO recommended this course.

Keep creating and experimenting Guys! :)

Gavin1393
23-08-2013, 09:33 AM
IIam watching this with interest from Vietnam. I will get my A into G and get the recordings up when I have reclaimed my life and returned to Aus!! ;)

robin
23-08-2013, 09:17 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on August 22, 2013, 17:31
Thanks Rob.

I was worried that I may have come over as a know it all pratt... but to me all of your builds are just as precious as they are to you and I would love nothing more than for all your builds live on and be played long after we are all gone to our prospective rewards.

I guess the old adage of less is best may well be applied to the use of TO.
So rather than the fifty thousand coats (slight exaggeration there DB) try for three or four and let each coat cure for at least 24 hours before re coating.

The reason I say this is after todays conversation with a friend who is a Gun Smith and uses TO recommended this course.

Keep creating and experimenting Guys! :)

Haha, definitely a know it all, but not of the pratt variety. Because you do know, well, most of the good stuff anyway. I probably speak for most here at PBG when I thank you for sharing that knowledge.

I did try the less is more approach with Bec's Bass. Not just a few coats like you suggest, but certainly a lot less than usual. I wanted to make a feature the open pore/grain of that beautiful Ash body. I find the basswood bodies a little featureless and bland, so prob overdo the finish.

Can't wait for Adam to start bringing in the Ash dodied guitars, I'll be one of the first in line for a Strat.

Cheers
rob

29-09-2013, 09:15 AM
Hey guys,
DB, i am doing my first build on a LP 1 and am only young so i am not sure about finishes. I really want a high gloss finish and was considering tru oil due to it being easily applied. How hard is it to use and get a good finish with other finishes such as nitro?
thanks a lot rob has already helped me a lot just wanted to get another opinion :)

29-09-2013, 09:17 AM
Oh and i forgot to mention sorry to say this but i am not using wudtone instead water based dyes. :) sorry haha just didn't have the money for wudtone

dingobass
29-09-2013, 03:03 PM
On a limited budget I would rule out Nitro as you will need good quality spray equipment.
There are some wipe on Poly finishes available but as I wont personally use them I am unsure as to price and end results.

29-09-2013, 10:34 PM
Ok cool so my best option would probably be tru oil do you reckon?

wokkaboy
30-09-2013, 12:31 PM
LPBuild, it depends on your budget and how quickly you want to turn the build around. I've been experimenting with tru oil lately and am impressed with the results, but don't know enough about the long term endurance of the finish.
You can still get similar results with wudtone but you will need to allow at least a month of curing all up.
I wouldn't recommend water based products or nitro without good spraying equipment.
Up to you which way you go but there's been no forum members with negative comments about wudtone

dingobass
30-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Wudtone.... :)

01-10-2013, 01:50 AM
Hey just last question :) after using tru oil, after the final coat can i jump straight to a fine stewmac polishing compound to leave me with a high gloss?

wokkaboy
01-10-2013, 07:13 AM
LP build,
If you apply 10 or more coats of tru oil the finish will be glossy enough. If you intend polishing after the last coat of tru oil I'd recommend hang the body for a week to make sure its fully cured. Which state do you live in ? cooler climate I'd wait longer

01-10-2013, 08:39 AM
Hey thanks for the tip i live in Sydney

01-10-2013, 08:41 AM
what method do u use? i don't really want to do the wet sand i have no idea how to do it. the body of my kit is mahogany so it has big pores but i like them, brings out the natural beauty
would you recommend buffing between coats with fine steel wool or only after like every 3 coats?

wokkaboy
01-10-2013, 11:12 AM
LPBuild I give a light fine steel wool between each coat, I rag it on just like wudtone trying not to leave streaks and an even coverage, with practice you will perfect this. I'd try for 48 hours curing until it warms up although Sydney has had warm weather so every 24 hours will be fine

01-10-2013, 11:26 PM
on youtube pitbull has vids on finishing a body and they use a clear top coat laqcuer in a spray can. would this work ontop of waterbased dyes? otherwise are there any other clear topcoats in spray cans?
thanks

wokkaboy
02-10-2013, 12:06 AM
Lpbuild. Those videos are old and getting an even finish from a spray can are much harder to achieve. It's very easy to get runs from over spraying. I used this method on some early pitbull builds and the spray won't be very durable. If you want a long lasting finish I'd Streer away from spray cans

02-10-2013, 12:40 AM
Anything else other than tru oil you would reccomend? and then be able to buff up glossy?

Gavin1393
02-10-2013, 02:36 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on September 29, 2013, 22:37
Wudtone.... :)

02-10-2013, 06:14 AM
If I use Nitro do I need to use a sanding or Vinyl sealer to give me a better finish or wouldn't this be necassary

Gavin1393
02-10-2013, 07:57 AM
Don't try use Nitro unless you have hundred of dollars worth of compressors and spray equipment. You also need a very expensive buffer and lots of curing time. Get on with the build using Wudtone or Tru Oil.

LPBuild1. Are you sure you are not related to Pest?

keloooe
02-10-2013, 08:21 AM
Seems like I'm not the only one... :D :P

02-10-2013, 08:46 AM
Hahahaha nope not that i know of :) well my dad actually has all th spraying equipment and compressors but i will take the advice thanks

dingobass
02-10-2013, 01:44 PM
We have rules about using naughty words on the forum, LPBuild1...
The N word is one of them...
Go and sit in the naughty corner for ten minutes :)

dingobass
02-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Gavin, you used the N word AND the T word... Honestly, I thought you knew better than that.....
One hour in the naughty corner for you! :P

dingobass
02-10-2013, 01:47 PM
Nice to see you back, Pest.

dingobass
02-10-2013, 01:52 PM
Gav, you are in deep doo doos....
Miss Fiona has over ruled me.
TWO hours in the naughty corner.
An extra half hour for using two naughty words and another half hour because you are a Moderator...

AJ
03-10-2013, 03:51 AM
/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on October 1, 2013, 22:46
Gavin, you used the N word AND the T word... Honestly, I thought you knew better than that.....

Nitrocellulose,Nitrocellulose,Nitrocellulose.... :P :P :P

can be bought in spray cans. at varying gloss levels ...
Also Clear lacca...
or clear wood tone,(bottles)
or true oil. (bottles)

I'm trying to join Gav in the naughty corner so we can tease Dingo... ;)

Gavin1393
03-10-2013, 06:39 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from AJ on October 2, 2013, 12:51

/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on October 1, 2013, 22:46

Nitrocellulose,Nitrocellulose,Nitrocellulose.... :P :P :P

can be bought in spray cans. at varying gloss levels ...
Also Clear lacca...
or clear wood tone,(bottles)
or true oil. (bottles)

I'm trying to join Gav in the naughty corner so we can tease Dingo... ;)

Nice of you to come and keep me company AJ! Staring at this dirty white wall on my own hasn't been much fun...Did you bring the crayon's?

AJ
03-10-2013, 11:13 AM
Nice of you to come and keep me company AJ! Staring at this dirty white wall on my own hasn't been much fun...Did you bring the crayon's?[/quote]

Yep, got em right here matey, and a small can of ..... yep , just to make the crayons shine ore... :P lol

dingobass
03-10-2013, 11:17 AM
Just earned yourself an extra hour in the corner, AJ :)

AJ
03-10-2013, 11:25 AM
Gavin wants to know if he can help with the crayons.. can he stay an extra hr too? lol

AJ
03-10-2013, 11:28 AM
double post.. Ooops!
Phil, I just popped you a quick mail

Gavin1393
03-10-2013, 09:27 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from AJ on October 2, 2013, 20:28
double post.. Ooops!
Phil, I just popped you a quick mail

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/5wm9d-image.jpg

04-10-2013, 07:42 AM
Hahahha

stan
04-10-2013, 09:17 AM
careful AJ , I hear Gav eats the crayons...

mcamelo
28-11-2018, 07:47 AM
The only problem I have with using T O is it is full of silica,(incredibly finely ground up glass) and although it is a brilliant product for rifle stocks, (which it was invented primarily for), the use of any product that contains silica on musical instruments may lead to some serious issues down the track, not to mention affecting the tone by clogging up the pores with glass.

I can't see silica mentioned on the Tru Oil safety data sheet:

https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/files/datasheets/23123%252c-23035%252c-23132-Tru-Oil-Saftey-Data-Sheet.pdf

Also could not find a lot of references anywhere about silica being part of Tru Oil.