PDA

View Full Version : Radius sanding blocks

iNSANE
03-06-2013, 01:26 AM
While waiting for my kit to arrive I made a point of going through a bit of a check list to ensure I had all of the tools I needed. I'm a fitter by trade and have pretty much everything that I needed to complete my build. The only thing I had to get was a 12' radius sanding block, which I promptly ordered from Stewmac.

I was just thinking this morning what a shame it was paying more in shipping than the block itself cost, considering the block was only about $15.95 with $28 shipping. In hind sight I could have just made one. :|

Seeing as DB stated earlier that all Pitbull kits have a 12' radius fretboard, would it be worth looking into either sourcing a supplier or having some blocks made that can be sold through Pitbull?
I can see a lot of people buying these for their first build, those that enjoy level frets that is ;)

Just something to think about 8-)

Gavin1393
03-06-2013, 02:14 AM
Good suggestion, but when you think about it, it would probably cost the same price to get it to you. :(

Adam, would have to pay transport from the USA to Australia and then charge you postage from here to your address...plus Adam would have a "holding cost" which in effect will cover the interest return on the caital he must outlay. And all this assumes that he doesnt intend to make any margin on it. I know Adam has already spoken to StewMac about some matters but StewMac are a retail outlet and dont want to get involved in supplying product at a discount other than what you and I can already see on their website.

Still its a great idea and one Im sure Adam will continue to explore. He just needs to find some quality suppliers so that he knows us members can buy in confidence from Pit Bull!

WeirdBits
03-06-2013, 03:22 AM
I guess that leaves Adam a few options:

Get the kit factory to produce 12" radius blocks to match their kits, ideally in short and long versions.
Get DB to use his blocks to create 12" radius forming 'necks', fit them with various grades of sandpaper and start producing radiused blocks on request ;)
Try to get some hardwood blocks/lengths produced locally if there is enough interest.
Find someone who has made a 24" sanding drum/wheel and get them to make them... hmm, there's an old bike outside - I wonder what size its wheels are.

iNSANE
03-06-2013, 04:51 AM
Quote from WeirdBits on June 2, 2013, 12:22
I guess that leaves Adam a few options:

Get the kit factory to produce 12" radius blocks to match their kits, ideally in short and long versions.
Get DB to use his blocks to create 12" radius forming 'necks', fit them with various grades of sandpaper and start producing radiused blocks on request ;)
Try to get some hardwood blocks/lengths produced locally if there is enough interest.
Find someone who has made a 24" sanding drum/wheel and get them to make them... hmm, there's an old bike outside - I wonder what size its wheels are.

After I made my first post I wondered if the factory that makes the kits could do it. I guess that if the labour costs were low enough and the right equipment was available...