PDA

View Full Version : guitar movies/docos

brett40
01-06-2013, 02:02 PM
i thought this might be a cool thread to start.. what good guitar movies or documentries have you seen or would recomend to others? because of the large age difference of people on the forums we might be able to find some classic music we can all share .. the first movie i would recomend is crossroads(1986) with music from ry cooder and stevie vai , great blues and some pretty good shredding near the end

adam
01-06-2013, 02:26 PM
Hey Brett, I read the first sentence of this post and I thought of Crossroads. I was just thinking about that movie today. It probably hasn't dated that well, but I remember being really affected by it when I was in my 20's (a long time ago). The dueling scene near the end is worth the price of admission alone. It's a must see for any guitar player. Hope our young Pest sees this and gets it out on DVD.

Great idea for a thread Brett!

adam
01-06-2013, 02:28 PM
I also insist that anyone who participates in this community watches (and can quote at will) This Is Spinal Tap...

Bass Guy
01-06-2013, 08:53 PM
I was so obsessed with This Is Spinal Tap as a teen that I started to transcribe the whole script. Consequently it got to the point that I could recite the whole film verbatim.

We even played Stonehenge at a school concert... :D

I would also recommend A Mighty Wind, which is a Tap-esque take on the folk scene. Some gorgeous guitars throughout that one. And it's hilarious too.

Fretworn
01-06-2013, 09:55 PM
While not quite so guitar focussed as Spinal Tap, "Still Crazy" was a great, funny movie about the reunion tour of a washed out '70's rock band.

keloooe
02-06-2013, 12:23 AM
Hmmmmmmm..... I know this ain't a fully guitar related doco, but it is a doco that I love, it's Quatro, it's a doco that follows my favorite band, Green Day, during the beginning of 2012 and gives GD fans a behind the scenes look at how they thought of doing the most recent Uno Dos Tre trilogy that was released, it's still a neat doc though and it even has some live clips and clips of when they were in the studio!!!
I will definitely look at the other movies mentioned!

WeirdBits
02-06-2013, 01:26 AM
Yep, my top two would be Crossroads and Spinal Tap. In fact, I'm listening to the Spinal Tap 'Black' album as I type this.

'The bigger the cushion the sweeter... ' ah, memories.

brett40
02-06-2013, 01:54 AM
i've seen spinal tap once ages ago i didnt think much of it. might have to watch it again. a new doco just out that is pretty good is sound city , written and directed by dave grohl of the foo fighters/nirivana fame.. awesome music in it everything from buckinham nicks to queens of the stone age , tom petty and rage againt the machine , while not a guitar doco its still pretty awesome

Analyst69
02-06-2013, 02:15 AM
Agreed on the Spinal Tap front...total classic and so quotable.

I have recently really enjoyed watching the Metal Evolution series (okay, not specifically about guitars, but a lot of guitars involved :)).

Yes it is about the history of Heavy Metal and all of the sub-genres, but even people not into Metal (like my Wife) seem to be able to watch it and find at least aspects of it interesting.

Fretworn
02-06-2013, 03:23 AM
Quote from Analyst69 on June 1, 2013, 11:15
Agreed on the Spinal Tap front...total classic and so quotable.

I have recently really enjoyed watching the Metal Evolution series (okay, not specifically about guitars, but a lot of guitars involved :)).

Yes it is about the history of Heavy Metal and all of the sub-genres, but even people not into Metal (like my Wife) seem to be able to watch it and find at least aspects of it interesting.

I watched this too. It was very good.

pablopepper
03-06-2013, 01:10 AM
Number 3 in favour of Metal Evolution. An excellently made series.

My recent favourite is Sound City. One of the most moving and inspiring films I have ever seen. Dave Grohl proves a deft hand at film making. Is there anything he can't do?

dvous
04-06-2013, 03:15 PM
I have a couple of suggestions:

- If you're into blues guitar, check any of the Eric Clapton Crossroads Guitar Festival series (there's several of them). These are highlights from an annual series of blues concerts involving invited artists of note.

- If you're a finger-picker acoustic player like myself, Tommy Emmanuel's Up Close is a jaw dropping masterclass. For us mere mortals there's also another earlier instructional video he did which has a bit of electric technique instructional content.

- Cream's reunion concert Royal Albert Hall London May 05 is a fantastic reminder of why Eric Clapton was so revered in his prime.

- Fans of Jimmy Page (eg me), The Edge and Jack White will appreciate It Might Get Loud, where these legends not only do a little bit of jamming, but also share an insight into their formative years.

Enjoy!

brett40
12-06-2013, 12:34 PM
lighting in a bottle, great doco on the bules , with b.b king , buddy guy, bonnie raitt, alot of older blues players from the 40's and 50's . great music

dingobass
12-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Led Zep, the Song Remains the Same. Live, Madison Gardens.
My fav bit is when Bonham goes off his nut (as only great drummers can) on a 14 minute drum solo and the rest of the band go off stage for a short break... Classic...

wokkaboy
12-06-2013, 01:21 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on June 11, 2013, 21:56
Led Zep, the Song Remains the Same. Live, Madison Gardens.
My fav bit is when Bonham goes off his nut (as only great drummers can) on a 14 minute drum solo and the rest of the band go off stage for a short break... Classic...
Actually DB check out there's a 2006 concert with John Bonham's son Jason drumming called Celebration Day it rocks, the old boys can still rock out
I'll bring a 3GB .avi file next time I catch up DB

matty42
14-06-2013, 07:58 AM
Interesting video about claptons "Blackie"

http://youtu.be/7d0Du6RqdTs

Bass Guy
14-06-2013, 08:29 AM
I appreciate the skills and craftsmanship required to pull this off, but I have always had a real problem with the whole Relic idea. It's like authorised forgery to me.

matty42
14-06-2013, 08:47 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Bass Guy on June 13, 2013, 17:29
I appreciate the skills and craftsmanship required to pull this off, but I have always had a real problem with the whole Relic idea. It's like authorised forgery to me.

I agree. Artist signature series in one thing, but a straight copy of every little burn mark etc... Is taking it too far.

DanMade
10-07-2013, 08:23 AM
Crossroads, is that the one with Britney Spears in it.

Seriously though, the original crossroads is one of my all time faves.

A few month's ago I was flicking through the foxtel guide an saw Crossroads was on that nite. So I set it up to record and watch the next day. But when I went to watch it I realised it was the Britney Spears movie. I deleted it straight away and was very disappointed and ashamed. Lol.

One of my favourite music DVD's is Jeff Lang Live at the Basement. It's kind of hard to kind these days though. I actually had him sign my Maton.

DanMade
10-07-2013, 08:30 AM
Here is a photo
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/54sk5-image.jpg

keloooe
10-07-2013, 09:00 AM
Ok, that Maton just got a whole lot better!!!

gavinturner
30-07-2013, 05:40 AM
I have three suggestions.
The recent BBC documentary "The History of the Guitar" is 3-part series documenting the rise of our favourite instrument. It's fantastic watching.

Also, I would highly recommend the Ramones documentary "End of the Century". Not about guitars per-se, but if you are at all interested in the punk movement it's a fantastic story, as is "The Filth and the Fury" which tells the story of the Sex Pistols. Very heartfelt, open and honest docos both.

Cheers,
Gavin.

pablopepper
03-09-2013, 02:00 AM
Just finished watching this one over the weekend after I found it for $5 at Aldi of all places. "It Might Get Loud" features Jimmy Page, Jack White and the Edge talking about their introduction, adoration and approach to the electric guitar. A damn fine way to spend an hour and a half.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkSWslN090M

Plus, looking for a good clip to go along with this post, I found the entire film on youtube. Enjoy.

wokkaboy
03-09-2013, 03:51 AM
Pablo, great doco, I've only seen about the first half hour but now you brought it up will watch the rest, 3 great guitarist well worth watching