PDA

View Full Version : How to finish a ash body

29-05-2013, 06:32 AM
Hi all axe swingers
I have an 25 year old ash body at home which i just roughly sanded back.
The plan was to stain it, however, i heard that this wood has big pores and has to
be filled somehow which means staining doesn't work so well.
All opinions and tips welcome.

Cheers 089

wokkaboy
29-05-2013, 06:37 AM
Hey 089, you are the 2nd forum member to get hold of a 25 year old ash body, can you tell us where you find them ?
If you can post a close up photo of the wood surface we should be able to work out whether it needs filling and whether wudtone stain will be suitable. Normally a good sand and the surface should be fine for wudtone.
BTW whats with the number 089, were you born in 1989 ? do you have a name ?

wokkaboy
29-05-2013, 06:43 AM
089 have a look at this link Gav wrote and article on types of wood and wudtone suitability, and it says swamp and northern ash are both highly suitable
http://pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=307

keloooe
29-05-2013, 07:33 AM
Yeah, I wanna know where everyone's getting their 25yo wood from, I really want to build a Strat outta old Ash!!!!

Gavin1393
29-05-2013, 07:47 AM
Quote from 089 on May 28, 2013, 15:32
Hi all axe swingers
I have an 25 year old ash body at home which i just roughly sanded back.
The plan was to stain it, however, i heard that this wood has big pores and has to
be filled somehow which means staining doesn't work so well.
All opinions and tips welcome.

Cheers 089

Wudtone is highly suitable to use with Ash. The oils and waxes in Wudtone will automatically fill and level the pores if you follow the instructions.

dingobass
29-05-2013, 08:38 AM
You will need to sand at least 1-2mm off the body to make sure that you have removed all of the old sealer.
Sounds like a lot of sanding but if you start with 120 grit and work up to 240 you will have it off in no time.
You will be impressed with the tone you will get out of that axe!

Walrus
29-05-2013, 10:02 AM
I have an Ash Tele which is finished in butterscotch. Doesn't look too bad...

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/t9voy-2013-2.jpg

29-05-2013, 10:07 AM
again thanks a lot
I will give it a try when my woodtone arrives.
It is actually really easy to get an old body.
Buy a new one and keep it for a quarter of a century. (man I just realised how old I am)
dingo, is it a good idea to mix some of the sanddust into the first few layers of stain ?
089 is my pseudonym, I am also painting a little bit. So if you see one of my paintings
don't be shy to buy one. My real name is Rudi but the grannies at the checkout always call me rude
for some reason.
BTW I am normally not a forum person but this one is really noice
and I upload a picture of the body when I figured out how.
Cheers 089

dingobass
29-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Hey 089,
No need to mix any sanding dust with the Wudtone, you will find with enough coats the grain will fill up quite nicely.
Check out my Tele Bass on the non Pit Bull section, she is African Mahogany which has a similar open pore to Ash.

To upload a photo, you first need to reduce it to around 700 pix then post it using the reply function rather than the quick reply.
You will see that there are three boxes at the bottom with a browse button.
Click on these and upload photo from your hard drive!