PDA

View Full Version : Will This be Enough?

tcjbrown
28-05-2013, 12:03 AM
I am looking forward to a seven week university holiday and I'm looking to completing a Flying V kit and finishing it in Wudtone Carmine Gypsy. My question is will one finishing kit be enough for both the neck and body? I will be finishing both in the same colour.
Thanks.

keloooe
28-05-2013, 12:05 AM
Yes, it should work tcjbrown

WeirdBits
28-05-2013, 12:13 AM
If you are going to do the neck the same colour as the body you should also get a Wudtone Neck Top Coat only kit, as the top coat for the neck is different to what is used for the body.

tcjbrown
28-05-2013, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the swift replies guys, I'll make sure to get a neck coat as well.
Thanks.

Scott J.
23-07-2013, 02:56 AM
Hi Folks,

Looks like tcjbrown had the same question as I do ... coverage! I'll be tackling the SG in the next week or so (ordering it as soon as the tax-return comes in the next couple of days) and as I want to match neck and body colour (as per original SGs) I was wondering if the one colour kit would give enough coverage to do both (at least the SG is a "smaller" body guitar than, say, an ES!!!) ... so it seem the one kit will be enough for both.

However, Wierdbits you made an interesting statement re; the top-coat for the neck being different to the top-coat for the body.

Is this because of the different timbers? (thereby requiring different products for "take-up" of the product ... the maple seems to be quite more problematic with "take-up" of some of the Wudtone products than other timbers)

... or is it because the neck top-coat can cope with more "wear 'n' tear" than the body top-coat (i.e. body top-coat used on a neck is more likely to wear through quicker from all the "rubbing" during playing?)

WeirdBits
23-07-2013, 03:26 AM
Quote from Scott J. on July 22, 2013, 11:56
Is this because of [...] or is it [...] ?

A bit of both apparently... a slightly thicker consistency and overall harder finish: The reported second hand neck top coat Gospel according to DB (http://pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=272.9#postid-4457)

But if you say his name often enough he may appear and reveal his wisdom directly...