PDA

View Full Version : Hi from 089

27-05-2013, 01:00 AM
Hello to everybody from Brisbane.
I always wanted to play a explorer style guitar but never got my dirty hands on one
Because of a little inconvenience. I'm left handed.
Finding the Pitt Bull website might be the chance to fulfil an old dream.
I don't have much wood working experience except the assembly of
a ESP stratocaster which involved only screwing and soldering.
Now i got a few questions before ordering something i can't finish.

Can i do it ? (esp. Gluing the neck)
The kit is on backorder, whyyyyyyyyy, how looooooong ? (when would i get it, i am itching to get started)
What is the length of the scale ? ( no idea why i ask, but somebody told me i should)

Thanks a lot for help in advance
I have to get back to my beer celebrating my team's champions league victory

089 (area code of munich)

Bass Guy
27-05-2013, 01:15 AM
G'day, 089- welcome on board. You'll find everyone here is very helpful and can pretty much answer any questions you have, so feel free to proceed with caution!

I am working on a lefty Explorer at present. You will be very pleasantly surprised with the quality I think. Giving it a quick measure, the scale lenght is 25"- not sure if that is standard.

Ad well done to Bayern Munich!

El

adam
27-05-2013, 01:15 AM
Hi 089.

The Lefty Explorer kits are due here this week, probably around Wednesday or Thursday. I've only got three and one is already backordered. SO, if you're keen, I'd recommend putting in an order.

Scale length is: 628mm/24.75". Fretboard radius is 12".

In answer to your question, "Can I do it?"... yes, it is pretty straighforward as long as you follow the videos on our site and ask questions on the forum if you get stuck. There is a video on attaching a set (glued) neck.

27-05-2013, 03:36 AM
Thanks so much guys, that was really pronto.
Just placed my order for the guitar and some extra stuff. Iam so looking forward to this project, can' t believe it.
Can i just ask a few more silly questions now that i am fired up.

1. The head: is it already in the shape as shown on the photo ?
Are the strings in fairly straight line towards the tuners, or do i need guides ?
2. The body: does somebody know the approx. dimensions of the body
How are the dimensions compared to the original explorer
Is the body contoured in any way ?

I am asking because i am considering applying a 7 mm veneer on the top and shaping this beauty to my not so nicely shaped body.

Thanks for all sorts of responses, maybe i am going overboard not knowing what i let myself in to
But anyway " never never go never never know"

Cheers 089

Bass Guy
27-05-2013, 03:53 AM
Hi 089,

The headstock is shaped already, and there is no contouring. Adam or DingoBass should be able to give you the other specs more exactly than me...

Feel free to follow my thread- link below- to avoid any pitfalls I might make.

http://pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=323.0

El

Gavin1393
27-05-2013, 08:49 AM
Hi 089,

There is also this thread which incorportaes all the videos as well as additional knowledge learned from the forum. Suggest you have a look here if you want an overview of the whole process or if you get stuck.

http://pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=302&sticky&id=302

Gav