PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from Melbourne - Photographer

Danno
23-05-2013, 12:31 AM
Hello Everybody,

I'm looking forward to picking up a couple of these fiiiine looking kits! I've had a kit from a now defunct company (Guitarworx)and I think just from the images on this site the Pitbulls look like better quality wood.
I really want one of the semis - 355(?) types, lots of scope for decoration. And maybe a V, hmmm, and a TL-1TH,... OK I'll stop now.

Anyhow I'm a photographer by trade so make me feel useful and hit me up with with photography questions - and no, my answers won't be 'well you should me pay loads of $ to shoot your ax',... unless you have loads of $ and want me to shoot your ax that is,...*cough*

Anyhow, in a month or two I'll begin my assault on GOTM! (memo; must buy kit guitar first,...)

cheers!
Dan

wokkaboy
23-05-2013, 12:49 AM
welcome to the forum Danno, and glad you have plans for some great guitar models.
our resident welcome committee Kelooe (we call him the pest !) is from Melbourne and he will be stoked there is another Victorian builder close by, he will welcome you after he finishes school !
The ES-1G or ES-1GT is the semi accoustic model (ES 335) and is a challenge to build mainly the wiring side of it. I'd suggest start on an easier model the TL-1TH or a FV are great kits. You will read everywhere in the forum that wudtone finishes are the way to stain your guitar mess free and give the best tone. Pitbull supply that on the website.
best of luck and if we need any photography queries we'll ask you !

cheers Wokka

AJ
23-05-2013, 01:04 AM
Quote from Danno on May 22, 2013, 09:31
Hello Everybody,

I'm looking forward to picking up a couple of these fiiiine looking kits! I've had a kit from a now defunct company (Guitarworx)and I think just from the images on this site the Pitbulls look like better quality wood.
I really want one of the semis - 355(?) types, lots of scope for decoration. And maybe a V, hmmm, and a TL-1TH,... OK I'll stop now.

Anyhow I'm a photographer by trade so make me feel useful and hit me up with with photography questions - and no, my answers won't be 'well you should pay loads of $ to shoot your ax',... unless you have loads of $ and want me to shoot your ax that is,...*cough*

Anyhow, in a month or two I'll begin my assault on GOTM! (memo; must buy kit guitar first,...)

cheers!
Dan

Welcome aboard, another fine Victorian. There's heaps of (highly qualified) people here to answer those tricky Q's that you may have, not to mention heaps of good info and links on the forum.
I have not long finished my first build, that being a LP-1, I certainly could of used your guidance for taking that glamor photo...
Any how, these guys have a massive array of kits to choose from. I am still trying to make up my mind which kit to build next, but want to do that one for the grandson whom may appreciate it once he gets out of nappies... ;)

Danno
23-05-2013, 01:05 AM
Thanks Wokka,
I've been tinkering with guitars for a while and wiring an ES335 will be challenging but not impossible - and the idea to use 5mm tube is genius. It's the finishing that's hard work as I'm not very patient!
The Wudtone looks like a good formula - all the GOTMs look fab.
cheers, Dan

Danno
23-05-2013, 01:10 AM
Quote from AJ on May 22, 2013, 10:04

Welcome aboard, another fine Victorian. There's heaps of (highly qualified) people here to answer those tricky Q's that you may have, not to mention heaps of good info and links on the forum.
I have not long finished my first build, that being a LP-1, I certainly could of used your guidance for taking that glamor photo...
Any how, these guys have a massive array of kits to choose from. I am still trying to make up my mind which kit to build next, but want to do that one for the grandson whom may appreciate it once he gets out of nappies... ;)

Thanks AJ, and that LP1 looks schmick. Highly reflective surfaces like your LP are hard to photograph well, unless you control the light source. Anyway when I've got one to shoot I'll also shoot the setup for edumacational purposes.
D

keloooe
23-05-2013, 01:24 AM
Yay!!!! Another Melbournite!!! I might need you Dan to photograph my LP-1 when it's done :P

wokkaboy
23-05-2013, 01:56 AM
Quote from Danno on May 22, 2013, 10:05
Thanks Wokka,
I've been tinkering with guitars for a while and wiring an ES335 will be challenging but not impossible - and the idea to use 5mm tube is genius. It's the finishing that's hard work as I'm not very patient!
The Wudtone looks like a good formula - all the GOTMs look fab.
cheers, Dan

no worries Dan sounds like you have done some reading on the forum. I have built an ES kit and yes Gav's 5mm tube trick works a treat. Sounds like you are up for the challenge of building an ES kit.

yes you have to be patient with wudtoning and have to wait at least 48 hours between extra gloss top coats !

good luck

Danno
23-05-2013, 03:21 AM
Quote from keloooe on May 22, 2013, 10:24
Yay!!!! Another Melbournite!!! I might need you Dan to photograph my LP-1 when it's done :P

Don't know if you would want to pay my standard rate! 8O

However one day in the future - if there's enough interested members - doing a demo/DIY shoot at a studio or a suitable venue might make for a fun afternoon. Have to rent the studio (don't have my own) so about $150-250 split between us.

keloooe
23-05-2013, 04:21 AM
Well, I was thinking of going to Sky Music with the LP, and putting it in front of some of those massive concert amps (maybe some Marshall stacks?!?!?!) and using that??

Danno
23-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Quote from keloooe on May 22, 2013, 13:21
Well, I was thinking of going to Sky Music with the LP, and putting it in front of some of those massive concert amps (maybe some Marshall stacks?!?!?!) and using that??

Sky music, I haven't been there. But that sounds like a good background. Turn the flash off, use a tripod, place guitar on stand a meter or so in front (to separate from b'ground), use AV mode and select the smallest 'f' no, for a short depth of field. Get down on the same level as the mid point of the guitar.
Or/and: try different camera modes with and without flash to see what effect you get. Especially the 'night portrait' mode if you are using a point and shoot. That's flash and slow shutter speed.

Take more than one shot! Seriously I have taught photography at various times and people rarely take enough shots with variations. Experiment. Good shootin'
D

keloooe
23-05-2013, 08:58 PM
Thanksfor the tips Dan, yep, Sky Music are a great bunch, only 5 mins drive from my house!!!

glenno3228
01-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Welcome Danno. I think the trick to impatience is to build several at once and then you're too busy to want to have one finished.