PDA

View Full Version : Is Wudtone suitable for basswood ST-1

Walrus
22-05-2013, 11:49 PM
My ST-1 just arrived :P and I'm debating what finish to go with. As is to be expected the joins on the 3 piece basswood body are pretty obvious, and one section is slightly darker than the other 2. I don't think it will suit an amber or natural finish, so my other option was to go with a solid colour, either olympic white or surf green (like the Fender Custom Jeff Beck (http://www.fender.com/series/artist/jeff-beck-stratocaster/))

My question
Before I rule wudtone out for this kit, I want to ask those who may have tried it out:

Will a wudtone finish like surfer girl be appropriate? The example pics on the wudtone site are clearly on a guitar which is ash, or some other nicely figured wood.

I feel as though using wudtone on a 3 piece body with clear join lines isn't going to yield the best result.

So what do you think...solid, or wudtone for the 3 piece basswood body?

AJ
23-05-2013, 01:15 AM
I was recently down an automotive paint supplier, to get some buffing supplies, seen a few of the new colors they had.. remember the old candie apple red , well they now have an amazing "candy apple Green" it was impressive to say the least... and sparkly! just a thought for your consideration, but also think that wood tone have some pigment stains that are solid when applied correctly?

dingobass
23-05-2013, 02:19 AM
Hey Walrus,

There have been many three piece bodies like your finished with Wudtone with amazing results, so don't totally rule that one off your list yet :)

The solid colours such as T Bird, Surfer Girl, Dairy Blonde etc can give you a more solid colour if you have the patience to apply enough coats.

Check out my JM1 in T Bird, she has got 6 or 7 coats!

The trick with the solid colours is to sand up to 220 grit and use just the colour base for the first two coats.
Also, I don't steel wool in between the first few coats.

If you have any more questions, email me on dingobass@pitbullguitars.com and I will be happy to answer them.

Walrus
23-05-2013, 02:27 AM
There are a lot of options with auto paint and I've seen good results, I do like the simplicity of the wudtone approach which seems to yield great results, I just want a totally opaque, flat finish on this particular body.

I'll get stuck into sanding and think about it.

wokkaboy
23-05-2013, 02:54 AM
Quote from Walrus on May 22, 2013, 11:27
There are a lot of options with auto paint and I've seen good results, I do like the simplicity of the wudtone approach which seems to yield great results, I just want a totally opaque, flat finish on this particular body.

I'll get stuck into sanding and think about it.

Hi Walrus,
here's a pic of one coat of surfer girl on a ST-1, got another coat on lastnight (didn't take a pic sorry) and it is looking great, wouldn't worry about the different basswood colours.
I haven't used any white to lighten it and don't think I'll bother

good luck with the sanding, I spent about 4 hours sanding this and its worth it

cheers Wokka
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/m95ez-2013-05-19-21.26.19.jpg

robin
23-05-2013, 03:10 AM
Hi Walrus, and welcome to the madness.

I have just finished my first build, an ST-1 kit, finished in Wudtone Carmine Gypsy.

You can check it out on my build thread here:
http://pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=218.4

I take no credit for the final finish, I am a total novice and just took my time and followed DingoBass' instructions to the letter. You can't go wrong. But if you ever need help, there are plenty of people here just ready and willing to guide you through.

Hope this helps
rob

Walrus
23-05-2013, 04:23 AM
Quote from wokkaboy on May 22, 2013, 11:54
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/m95ez-2013-05-19-21.26.19.jpg
Thanks Wokka, that's really useful for me to visualise what it could look like. Could you tell me if the grain can be felt through the finish? Or is it totally flat? I'm after a lighter look (see the link to theJeff Beck model in my original post), whereas yours looks a little darker. Do you think adding a white base coat or white pigment to the wudtone would achieve this?

Brendan
23-05-2013, 04:58 AM
Currently Wudtoning a bass in red & the only way to describe the feel - "baby's bum"... Haven't hit the top coats yet, but follow DB's and Gavin's suggestions (wet ragging, etc) and you'll have a beauty. I think a white base is available - check with DB.

keloooe
23-05-2013, 05:06 AM
Walrus, you can mix a bit of white into your colour scheme before you apply it, DB should be able to supply you with some!

Walrus
23-05-2013, 05:17 AM
Quote from robin on May 22, 2013, 12:10
You can check it out on my build thread here:
http://pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=218.4
rob
Thanks Rob, yours looks great. I'm curious whether there were differences in the colour of the body wood before you began, ie was any part darker than another and if so, can you see this through the finish? It doesn't look like it from the pictures, but I thought I'd ask.

I think I'm warming to doing this with Wudtone having seen the great results you guys are getting. I was concerned about the grain, but with pigment base coast, maybe it isn't such a problem.

wokkaboy
23-05-2013, 05:20 AM
Quote from Walrus on May 22, 2013, 13:23
[quote]
Thanks Wokka, that's really useful for me to visualise what it could look like. Could you tell me if the grain can be felt through the finish? Or is it totally flat? I'm after a lighter look (see the link to theJeff Beck model in my original post), whereas yours looks a little darker. Do you think adding a white base coat or white pigment to the wudtone would achieve this?

Hi Walrus,
no the grain can't be felt through the finish, but I sanded it pretty smooth before the 1st coat. The surfer girl wudtone kit comes with white mix so you can lighten the colour as desired. I'm happy with the colour so will save the white mix for another project

I should get a third coat of surfer girl on tonight so I can post a pic tomorrow will give you a better idea. 3 thick base coats and it should be ready for silver highlights

Walrus
23-05-2013, 05:20 AM
Quote from keloooe on May 22, 2013, 14:06
Walrus, you can mix a bit of white into your colour scheme before you apply it, DB should be able to supply you with some!
I'm considering Surfer Girl which comes with a separate white and pigment base coat, so I think this will be the way to go.

Looking forward to getting through the sanding and getting into the finish, but I'm going to do my best to enjoy the journey!

Walrus
23-05-2013, 05:22 AM
Quote from wokkaboy on May 22, 2013, 14:20
I should get a third coat of surfer girl on tonight so I can post a pic tomorrow will give you a better idea. 3 thick base coats and it should be ready for silver highlights
Thanks Wokka, sounds like I'm headed for Surfer Girl! 8-)

wokkaboy
23-05-2013, 05:53 AM
No worries Walrus,
I just had a look at the wudtone picture on the website and might try a bit of the white pigment mixed in to lighten the colour a touch. I'll post a photo tomorrow morning. I'll get a close up, it will be under lights but will give you a fair idea. After the very first time the rag touched the body its one of my favourite wudtone colours and I've used at least half the wudtone range

Gavin1393
23-05-2013, 09:19 AM
Love it when the forum members jump to the aid of one another! Great stuff guys!

Gavin1393
23-05-2013, 09:38 AM
If you are ever in doubt as to whether any colour is suitable for the wood that was used in your kit, check this thread!

http://pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=307

robin
23-05-2013, 09:47 AM
[b]Thanks Rob, yours looks great. I'm curious whether there were differences in the colour of the body wood before you began, ie was any part darker than another and if so, can you see this through the finish? It doesn't look like it from the pictures, but I thought I'd ask.

Hey Walrus, Here's a shot of the back of the guitar, sorry its not very good quality. There are 4 distinctly different grain patterns in the body, but I think that the darker Carmine Gypsy tends to hide it a bit more than a lighter shade would.

I'm no expert on Wudtone, so better wait till someone with a bit more knowledgeable chimes in with an opinion.

To be honest I wasn't that fussed, as these little imperfections tend to make each guitar you build unique, and a little bit special.

cheers
rob
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/xc286-1011.JPG

Brendan
23-05-2013, 01:36 PM
Rob - every time I see your guitar, I love it! Nice job... Good luck with GOTM!

brett40
23-05-2013, 02:07 PM
sexy looking axe

Walrus
23-05-2013, 09:16 PM
Quote from robin on May 22, 2013, 18:47
There are 4 distinctly different grain patterns in the body, but I think that the darker Carmine Gypsy tends to hide it a bit more than a lighter shade would.

I had the same thought about the darker colours hiding any darker sections better, but I also agere that it probably isn't a huge deal...thanks for the info.

Awesome help on this forum!

wokkaboy
24-05-2013, 12:23 AM
Hi Walrus,
as promised pics after 3rd coat of surfer girl, I mixed about 25% white pigment into the surfer girl and it is slightly lighter in colour but I like it darker. My ST had a darker middle basswood piece and the surfer girl covers that pretty well. Some of the finish is slightly lighter as the grain doesn't soak up the wudtone as much, but thats a cool effect.
Hopefully I have sold surfer girl to you.
Might put one more light coat of the 25% white mix on tonight, then its silver highlights

cheers
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/49t72-2013-05-22-19.13.23.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/7bqj2-2013-05-22-19.14.17.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/4p8bx-2013-05-22-19.10.30.jpg

Bass Guy
24-05-2013, 01:14 AM
For further validation of your choice, here's the thread to my JB-4 build. Finished in...You guessed it...

http://pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=172

El

robin
24-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Quote from Brendan on May 22, 2013, 22:36
Rob - every time I see your guitar, I love it! Nice job... Good luck with GOTM!

Thanks Brendan. I'm gonna need a lot of luck with the GOTM, but its not about all winning, lol, says the losers. :)

rob

Brendan
24-05-2013, 02:00 PM
With an axe like that, even if you don't win - you're still not a loser... Worst case scenario is you've got a nice guitar!

Walrus
26-05-2013, 09:00 AM
Quote from wokkaboy on May 23, 2013, 09:23
Hi Walrus,
as promised pics after 3rd coat of surfer girl
Thanks for this Wokka. I appreciate the pics. I love surfer girl, but I have actually had a change of heart and will be doing carmine gypsy. A few reasons for this, mostly that this guitar might end up as a gift for a mate and I found out he loves red strats.

I started sanding today, so I'll start a build thread.

jase
26-05-2013, 12:34 PM
Gday all. I have just finished top coats on ST -1 with 3-4 coats of faded fiesta underneath. Although not the quite the color I was after it has filled out very niely and the color is pretty solid.And the color is growing on me. In hindsight I would have applied the first coats of Fiesta thicker.SO there is always next time. Heaps of fun.Photos on the way .