PDA

View Full Version : Pit Bull Guitars Electric Guitar Strings

adam
21-05-2013, 12:48 PM
We are looking into the viability of selling our Pit Bull Guitars Electric Guitar Strings as a stock line. We would offer a selection of gauges at $9.95 RRP per set. Plus, we would offer very generous discounts on 3, 5 and 10 sets per order.

Remember these are USA made nickel wound strings that are sold under various brands (but not D'Addario).

I wanted to ask you good people a few survey type questions about strings:

1. What brand do you use now?
2. Would you consider switching to our Pit Bull Guitars Strings at $9.95 per set?
3. If not, how much would they need to sell for to get you to switch?
4. What gauge do you use?
5. Roughly, how many sets would you use per year?

If you have any other comments about strings, please don't hold back.

Gavin1393
21-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Quote from adam on May 20, 2013, 21:48

Elixir and D'addario

2. Would you consider switching to our Pit Bull Guitars Strings at $9.95 per set?
I only buy in 5's and 10 packs.....will depend on price! Pack of 10 D'addario's at Artist Guitars is usually between $48 and $60. You'd pay $7 for a single set. Prices include postage.

As long as the price is close i'd rather support Pit Bull! The electric strings supplied have to date been great! Wll be awesome to buy a few sets with the kit purchases

Custom light 10-51 ( from memory)

26 guitars use a lot of strings!!!

Are we going to stock acoustic and electric?

WeirdBits
21-05-2013, 02:30 PM
D'Addario and Ernie Ball
It would depend on shipping costs and bulk discounts.
I currently get 10 packs of D'Addario for $50, or between $7-9 for single sets.
9-42 and 10-46
Varies, but will be a lot more now with all these Pit Bull kits (curse you Adam!)
I haven't tried the Pit Bull strings yet, so I'll reserve further comment.

keloooe
21-05-2013, 09:08 PM
Ernie Ball (BALLS ARE BEST!!!!!), D'Addario strings break a lot for me...

I actually would use them a bit if this were to happen!

$10 is great for strings, I get Ernie Balls for $12 a set, or I can get 2 packs for $15 from a great supplier

I use 9-42 on my electrics (Super Slinky) and 12-54 on my acoustic (Gives it a good 'thwack' when I play, they are the Regular Slinky strings)

I change my strings in 3 situations:
a) Every 3 months
b) When a string breaks, I'll change them all
c) When I go on stage, I re-string the day before
So, i normally use around 9-11 sets a year (add another 3-5 sets per kit built, so soon it will be around 15-17 each year, damn that's a lot of strings!!!) 5. Roughly, how many sets would you use per year?

Funny you mention this Adam, I was going to email you about this!!! Personally I would consider stocking all types of strings in various gauges, so we all have a wide variety of them!

phloggy
21-05-2013, 10:46 PM
I just bought a set of D'Addarios from the major music store up the road from work for $9. They also had Ernie Balls for the same price. That was a single set, as well. Multipacks are cheaper.

From the above, no, not really

They'd have to come in quite a bit cheaper, even with postage. I'm one of those "I'll pay a bit more if I can get it right now" kind of guys.

I can never remember. This set was Super light top/regular bottom.

I don't change string nearly often enough. I'll go through a stage where I'll change all my guitars at once, then nothing for a year.

Bass Guy
21-05-2013, 10:57 PM
My two cents...

Ernie Ball Slinkies for the guitars, La Bella HRS for the basses.

Oh yes.

9-42 for the Floyd Rose guitars, 10-46 on everything else. 45-105 on four string basses and 45-125 on fivers.

5. Roughly, how many sets would you use per year

Now my collection has grown, heaps! I change bass sets every four months, unless I want swampy Motown mudtone. Guitars probably every two months.

Would you consider stocking a small selection of bass strings, and a 7 string set?

El

dingobass
21-05-2013, 11:07 PM
Do our string Dudes make Flat Wound Bass strings? 45-105's

pablopepper
22-05-2013, 12:21 AM
GHS boomers or Ernie Ball

Sure, if the quality was good.

10-46 (guitar), 45-105 (bass)

8-10 (guitar), 3-5 (bass)

Fretworn
22-05-2013, 02:24 AM
I use a standard D'Addario .009 set on my electrics and Ernie Ball "Not Even Slinky"s on the lapsteel. I always buy multipacks and, to be honest I can't remember how much I pay. I rarely change strings, as I am lazy.

wokkaboy
22-05-2013, 02:34 AM
D'Addario and Ernie Ball
It would depend on shipping costs and bulk discounts.
I currently get 25 packs of D'Addario for about $80, so bulk buying is cheaper again
9-46 and 10-46. Will look at bass sets now my PBH4 just arrived
hard to say but now the blue axe room is pretty chockas at least 25-30 sets/year
6. If you have any other comments about strings, please don't hold back.
The Pit Bull strings are quite good but with online bulk sales of strings it will be hard to compete

Walrus
22-05-2013, 02:53 AM
DR and Ernie Ball
No. That is almost the same price as most "top" strings.
They would need to work out at $5 a set or less.
9-46 and 10-46
Only a couple per guitar (3 guitars), I don't play as much as a would like.
6. If you have any other comments about strings, please don't hold back.
I echo some of the other comments that selling a Pit Bull branded string might be a struggle given the amazing bulk deals you can get on some well established brands.

Brendan
22-05-2013, 03:39 AM
May be a bit more head room in the 4/5 string department - Ernie Balls locally ~$30 /set, US $15/set + delivery... Looks like decent flatwounds add a bit to that... Downside is I don't change strings often at all.

robin
22-05-2013, 04:49 AM
D'Addario (over many years I've just about tried them all for both guitar and bass and always go back to them. Don't even bother trying anything else now.)

Like most other PBG'ers, I buy in bulk, approx $50 for a set of 10. So at that price probably not.

Same or cheaper than D'Addarios, providing similar quality.

Guitar - .009 - .042 (Super Lights)
Bass - .045 - .100

Guitar - about 4 sets per year. (Probably less now that I have started collecting PBGuitars.
Bass - about 2 sets per year. (Don't laugh, but I boil them every 3 months to keep them going)

To be honest it will take a bit to sway me away from D'Addarios. I hate to sound like a cheapskate, but when you're not working, luxuries like strings don't get a lot of priority.

rob

dvous
26-05-2013, 11:50 PM

D'Addario for my classical guitar (nylon strings)
Elixir for my 6 and 12 string steel acoustics
Various brands for my electrics

2. Would you consider switching to our Pitbull Guitars Strings at $9.95 per set?

Only for my electric guitars

3. If not, how much cheaper would they need to sell for to get you to switch?

There needs to be a discount on $9.95 for buying in bulk, equivalent to approx $5 per set

Steel string acoustics - .011 or .012
Electrics - .009 or .010

Acoustics - 3 or 4 sets per year
Electrics - 2 or 3 sets per year

If you have any other comments about strings, please don't hold back

I recently bought a Cole Clark Fat Lady 1 (FL-1) abought 2 months ago. It came with Elixirs (coated strings) as are recommended by the manufacturer, fitted several days prior to the sale by the sales manger who sold the instrument to me. My most recent play was yesterday, and I'm staggered at just how well these strings are still retaining their "new" sound despite being two months in use.

I'm now sold on the idea of coated strings for acoustics. They might be a bit more expensive, but if they retain the tone by preventing finger dirt and grease entering the wrapping, then that sounds like a solid argument to me.

keloooe
27-05-2013, 12:41 AM
Yea, Elixers have the special coating that resists pretty much anything, my mate owns a Tele with a 3 year old set that hasn't been touched and they are still damn shiny!!!

Gavin1393
27-05-2013, 08:52 AM
Quote from keloooe on May 26, 2013, 09:41
Yea, Elixers have the special coating that resists pretty much anything, my mate owns a Tele with a 3 year old set that hasn't been touched and they are still damn shiny!!!

Must be on a Nitro guitar which is why he can't tell that theres no tone on his old strings!!!

Elixir's are only expected to last 3 months!

dvous
27-05-2013, 11:50 AM
Gavin, if you read the Pest's post closely, it says that the strings haven't been touched. That means that any tone at all is pure speculation!

It reminds me of the old saying " If a tree falls in forest and no-one is there to hear it, did it make any sound?"...

Gavin1393
27-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Thought he meant the tele hadn't been touched since the strings were put on? Maybe the tele fell over and never made a sound and everyone has been looking for it ever since!. Of course, Adam will have found it and stuck it on his wall by now....

keloooe
27-05-2013, 08:56 PM
They are still there, but they don't make much noise, they looked shiny last time I saw them!

dvous
28-05-2013, 11:09 AM
There's a song about that - it's called the Sounds of Silence...

keloooe
28-05-2013, 08:57 PM
No, even better, there's a string formation that has 3 pages of absolutely NOTHING!!! It's called 3:(something), the title is the duration, even the conductor has to turn the page :P

phloggy
28-05-2013, 10:36 PM
It's called 4'33", and it's a piece meant to inspire you to listen to what's happening around you.

Or, as I've read elsewhere, it's pretentious bullshit.

Bass Guy
29-05-2013, 02:23 AM
It was "composed" by John Cage. Oddly it's broken up into three "movements". As a concept it is valid, but because of its notoriety nowadays it doesn't have the same jarring effect it had back in the '40s.

Fretworn
29-05-2013, 02:29 AM
Paul Westerberg of The Replacements wrote a song called "A Few Minutes Silence" in the hope that people would ring up radio stations and ask for a few minutes silence.

keloooe
29-05-2013, 04:24 AM
It was funny cuz we saw a vid on YouTube last year in Music where a whole orchestra and a packed audience were there, even TV presenters, and they watched the whole thing.......

rhay
03-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Ernie B (Nickel Wound Slinkys), although I use Boomers on one.

No, sorry.

$7. I currently buy 3-packs for just over $21, delivered.

9 to 42

I quite like the PB strings so-far, but need to try a set on one of my old faithfuls to do a proper comparison.