PDA

View Full Version : Comments anyone?

Gavin1393
21-05-2013, 03:47 AM
DB and I have recently been taken blindfolded to a secret hideaway to work on putting together a definitive manual on everything about building a Pit Bull Guitar. No expense has been spared and the budget seemed limitless, but the cold baked beans and rainwater DB collected each night became tiresome after 5 days, and we longed for the taste of alcohol and something other than baked beans, but I digress.

But more seriously, please have a look here at what we have done. It's probably 80% complete.
Any suggestions from folk (who have actually read the whole thing) will be appreciated. It is out intention to have a section at the end of each posting to introduce new issues and answers to questions to keep the material current.

Once you have had a chance to take a look let us know if this will be useful to folks building their Pit Bull Guitars. The page will open on the last page (page 3) - please click on page [1] at the top left to be taken to the beginning.

Cheers Gavmeister and DingoBass

http://pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=302.2#postid-4485

keloooe
21-05-2013, 04:24 AM
I read the manual and I think it is great to have all of that info readily available to anyone willing to build a PBG kit, there's so much more info than the videos that were originally up!

robin
21-05-2013, 05:12 AM
Excellent Gavin and DB and much appreciated.

I am learning new skills all the time.

Just one question. My first (and only) build so far was the ST-1. Wiring it up was a no brainer as it requires practically no soldering, only output jack and earthing the bridge.

My current build is the TL-1TH with the Humbuckers. This kit just comes with a bag of bits and bobs 8O What would be the closest kit to follow to wire up this one? I am ok with a soldering iron just need a bit of a guide with what to solder and where.

Thanks guys

rob

wokkaboy
21-05-2013, 05:28 AM
Hi Gav and DB,
fantastic job on the build instructions, I've read most of it and you have gone into plenty of detail which is good. One thing we talked about at DB's yesterday is the must have tools for first builder may be able to be trimmed back to bare essential tools so a builder with a small budget may get away with less must have tools. We couldn't find DB's pink trike though ! haha

keep up the good work fellas

Robin, I watched Wayne soldered a TL-1TB kit yesterday and assuming its the same the red and yellow active wire went to the ends of top of the switch (where there was already solder from another wire connection) but he got them reversed (ie bridge worked with switch forward and neck back position). Earth the bare wires from the humbuckers to back of volume pot, connect volume pot and tone with a earth wire and run an earth wire from one of the pots to the bridge post. Didn't search for a diagram on the Pitbull site so not sure if there's one similar

cheers Wokka

AJ
21-05-2013, 05:54 AM
fairly well laid out, however, is missing the pictures of the bridges as referred to in the "Setting up your Intonation". that is about the only thing that I can see that might be missing.

phloggy
21-05-2013, 11:05 PM
The content seems great, but I'd consider breaking up the layout further, either as additional pages of the site, or as a (moderated?) wiki.

Forums don't lend themselves to this sort of information dump. At the moment it's a just a wall of text that may intimidate new builders. Splitting it out into separate pages will make it much easier to digest and keep updated.

dingobass
21-05-2013, 11:11 PM
Thanks Phloggy, I was thinking much the same so it is good to get feedback that lines up with my thoughts :)

Gavin1393
22-05-2013, 01:21 AM
So maybe set it up as a wall of links to information without actually containing the information in the thread?

robin
22-05-2013, 02:27 AM
Quote from wokkaboy on May 20, 2013, 14:28
Robin, I watched Wayne soldered a TL-1TB kit yesterday and assuming its the same the red and yellow active wire went to the ends of top of the switch (where there was already solder from another wire connection) but he got them reversed (ie bridge worked with switch forward and neck back position). Earth the bare wires from the humbuckers to back of volume pot, connect volume pot and tone with a earth wire and run an earth wire from one of the pots to the bridge post. Didn't search for a diagram on the Pitbull site so not sure if there's one similar

cheers Wokka

Thanks Wokka, don't know how I missed that one. I was looking too deeply and missed the obvious.

Thanks mate
rob