PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the ACT

Analyst69
20-05-2013, 07:00 AM
Hi All

I have been following the forum for a while and admiring the kits on the Pitbull site since last year. So I guess its time to stop being a voyeur and introduce myself... :)

I haven't, as yet, bought any kits from Pitbull but certainly will in the future...I just have to finish the kits I have at the moment.

My first kit was a Firebird with a red lacquer finish...it was a really challenging experience but the end result came out well and I was hooked.

I am in the process of building a PRS copy kit that I got last year, which I am finishing with Dark Onyx (on the back and neck) and Goldenrod (on the quilted maple cap). Really happy with the way the Wudtone is coming out and love the reduction in labour to get a good finish (the red lacquer on the firebird was about 15 coats of paint in the end from primer through to clear coats...I know, it will also be affecting the tone).

I have two other kits that are unstarted which are a Tele (basswood) and a Strat (Ash). I probably will be using Wudtone on these too.

I also build my own furniture, but have always been slack on the finishing side (get it built, sanded, put it in place to test its suitability and....never finished). I like that the focus on finishing guitars will improve my finishing skills, which I will also use on furniture.

I used to build plastic model car kits which would go on the shelf, get dusty, knocked off and broken and didn't serve a function. The guitar kits are way better as I get to use them.

I really appreciate all the great advice you guys share on the forum and love seeing the build diaries and watching the projects progress.

So, that's me. G'day and Cheers!

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/l1bbc-20130425_185229.jpg

Brendan
20-05-2013, 07:05 AM
G'day & welcome abord - seems you've learnt the first lesson - avoid the N word!... Love the quilted cap on the guitar!

dingobass
20-05-2013, 08:07 AM
Welcome to the forum!
As an ex ACT dweller, all I can say is enjoy the cold weather :)
Like what you have done with the Quilted top axe.

keloooe
20-05-2013, 08:18 AM
G'Day, and awesome choice with the finish!!!

Analyst69
20-05-2013, 08:27 AM
Thanks Guys.

DB, I'm used to the cold weather (I actually missed it when I lived in Bangkok for a few years where it is always stinking hot).

The cold weather was a major challenge for me last winter when spraying the firebird resulting in me building a small spraying booth and using halogen lights to heat the job and the air around it. This worked well, but from what I can see the only impact the cold weather would have on wudtone will be curing times...am I right? (if so, I am set for easy year round kits building...woohoo).

And Keloooe, obviously the Dark Onyx/Goldenrod combo is popular :)

Darren

keloooe
20-05-2013, 08:30 AM
Quote from Analyst69 on May 19, 2013, 17:27
And Keloooe, obviously the Dark Onyx/Goldenrod combo is popular :)
Haha, yep, DO and GR make a great combo!!!

dingobass
20-05-2013, 08:32 AM
Yep, the curing times will be a bit longer... especially when you have to chip an inch of frost off the axe before the next coat goes on :)

Honestly, I loved Canberra but it just was too damn cold for my bones so I packed up and came West to sunny Perth..

Analyst69
20-05-2013, 08:39 AM
Hehe.

We just had a first couple of frosts over the last few days.

My guitars do as much of their curing/drying inside the house as possible (fumes permitting). My fabulous wife doesn't seem to mind a curing guitar sitting in the middle of the loungeroom. :)

The fact that we currently have a Skywhale does however, make up for the cold weather...

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/sb658-skywhale.jpg

dingobass
20-05-2013, 08:57 AM
The Sky Whale is a laugh, sorry I missed it. One thing I do miss about Canberra this time of the year is watching the Balloons float over my place in Belco.
Some days they would be only 20 - 30 meters above my house, the Staffy used to go mental! :)

Analyst69
20-05-2013, 09:22 AM
Haha...yeah, the balloons are great...particularly for freaking the dog out (and me when they come over at 8:00 on a Sunday morning with the burner roaring).

Brendan
20-05-2013, 09:39 AM
I don't miss the wind that whichever way it comes, comes in over snow and freezes your bits off... Much rather Perth winters - when you know its cold because you have to put a jumper on.

Analyst69
20-05-2013, 09:49 AM
I hear you there Brendan...it's probably fair to say that the best thing about a Canberra winter is that it gives you something to look forward to (spring) :)

I'm yet to experience Perth, but having a few friends who have gone that way, plus finding that Guitar building is popular in the West, my interested is piqued.