PDA

View Full Version : Kit Supplied Pick Ups

dalloskid
20-05-2013, 04:53 AM
Basically what I'm wondering is if its worth it or not to shell out extra to buy some other pickups or if the ones that come with the sets are good enough.
Any/all general feedback and comments on the sound, quality etc people have found would be great!

If it helps, I'm wanting them for a broad range of music, from the clean sounds found in Hillsong United all the way to the heavier sounds of August Burns Red.

Thanks Guys!

Brendan
20-05-2013, 05:11 AM
Dalloskid - I guess one of the bonusses of this kit is that many of the parts are interchangable. Depending on the kit that is... One of the options may be start with the pickups supplied and then upgrade later if needed...

Check some of the vids of Adam playing - most of those are with kit supplied parts. A cheaper option to improve tone if required seems to be replacing nuts, pots and caps.

Gavin1393
20-05-2013, 05:40 AM
Not really sure you can get pickups that do all that!??

Brendan
20-05-2013, 06:28 AM
I think Gavin may be suggesting you may be better off putting together a couple of kits.... Sounds like a real shame... I guess that will give you a couple of options from single coil to humbuckers, solid body - hollow body and potentially different tone woods... One of the great things with these kits is that there is something for everyone.

Other thing is that even within the Hillsong team there are a range of guitars for different sounds - the guitar solo to open Mighty to Save is on a nice looking Gretsch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-08YZF87OBQ#t=58s), there are a couple of acoustics around and it looks like a strat in the background.

August Burns Red also seem to use a range - from Ibanez' to what looks like a Les Paul and a Tele...

dalloskid
20-05-2013, 08:45 AM
Ok well I have been looking at these pickups and they seem great - http://www.railhammer.com/
theres 3 different kinds, one for a classic rock/good clean sound, one for heavy rock, and one for metal. they are $95 each though, and theres only one dealer in aus, so im not 100% sold yet.

If you think its wise, I'll just put together 2 kits, a les paul like im planning, and then one kinda like this http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/RGA321
however, there isnt a kit like that; they either have real intricate fretboard or a floyd rose. Theres not one without the floyd but with the bar still.
so if I did the 2 builds, do you think the standard pickups would cut it, or should I splurge to get different ones?
And where would I get a kit like the one I'm wanting?
Thanks guys, you've been helpful so far!

phloggy
20-05-2013, 09:16 AM
I put together one not expecting too much from it (I mean, it was $120. You can get single pickups for that much!) but was pretty blown away by the sound.

I'd put together one you like and live with it for a while. If the pickups aren't cutting it, then sure, swap 'em out, but give the supplied ones a shot first.

Gavin1393
20-05-2013, 09:28 AM
...and chat to Adam@pitbullguitars.com about a special order for the kit you are after.....he may be able to arrange it with the factory.

Brendan
20-05-2013, 09:35 AM
Quote from phloggy on May 19, 2013, 18:16
I put together one not expecting too much from it (I mean, it was $120. You can get single pickups for that much!) but was pretty blown away by the sound.

I'd put together one you like and live with it for a while. If the pickups aren't cutting it, then sure, swap 'em out, but give the supplied ones a shot first.

Agree - give the kit ones a go and then use the hard earned to buy another kit!

Analyst69
20-05-2013, 09:42 AM
I expected the pickups in the Firebird kit I built last year to be a bit ordinary (not a Pitbull kit but from what I can tell very similar). Turned out they were fine and far exceeded expectations. I put a lot of effort into copper insulation of the cavities and expect this made a big difference in terms of reducing any noise etc.

I agree with others here...give the kit pups a go first. You may be surprised.

pablopepper
20-05-2013, 09:43 AM
Check out Seymour Duncan p-rails.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/medium-output/prails_shpr1/

I've had my eye on these for a while, they could work for you. I've seen sets go for around $150 on ebay.

WeirdBits
20-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Quote from pablopepper on May 19, 2013, 18:43
Check out Seymour Duncan p-rails [...]

I've got a set of P-Rails waiting to go into my ES-1G kit, which should be awesome... when I finally get around to building it. I'd suggest the OP watch/listen to as many video/sound clips of them as possible and research before choosing P-Rails - as while they are extremely versatile their sound isn't for everyone, particularly the series humbucker sounds. Joe Gore does a good demo of some of the variety of sounds you can get out of them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blvnb6wV5Ao

dvous
26-05-2013, 11:17 PM
I bought and assembled an ST-1 kit several months ago. I decided to give all the supplied electronics a fair go first, then worry about changing anything if needed. In fact, I've been very happy with the "out of the box" sound, which is fantastic for a kit that only cost me $99 and a few enjoyable hours in finishing it to an acceptable standard.

Tony Bones
08-06-2013, 04:01 AM
Quote from Analyst69 on May 19, 2013, 18:42
I expected the pickups in the Firebird kit I built last year to be a bit ordinary (not a Pitbull kit but from what I can tell very similar). Turned out they were fine and far exceeded expectations. I put a lot of effort into copper insulation of the cavities and expect this made a big difference in terms of reducing any noise etc.

I agree with others here...give the kit pups a go first. You may be surprised.

I have no problems with kit-supplied parts, I am just not in love with the humbucking pickup any more. GUITARFETISH sells single coil pickup mounting covers that fit in a humbucking slot. I have a Gidson Mini- Humbucker on hand, they have great treble, and have decided to go with 3 for my upcoming Firebird.

Bones

dalloskid
11-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Thanks for all the help guys! Unfortunately this build is going to have to go on hold indefinately.