PDA

View Full Version : James ST-1

Walrus
15-05-2013, 11:16 AM
This will be the build thread for my ST-1 build.

I'm keen to leverage the good advice that this community can offer. I also plan on doing some vids to add to the good stuff already on the site.

My plan is to build it stock, then upgrade later.

My initial thoughts for finish are to do an Amber Wudtone, something like this (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ZbZNjiEUht4/UQQGpgLXbCI/AAAAAAAAAxk/pIjjrvhIWEw/s1600/2013-01-26+14.31.44.jpg). I also like solid finishes like a classic red or white/cream.

I guess my first question is what prep can I make before the kit arrives? What tools at a minimum? Anything I should prepare myself for?

dingobass
15-05-2013, 11:27 AM
OK,
Tools needed are:
Drill and 2.5, 3mm bits
screw drivers
Irwin Quickgrip clamps, or any good quality g type clamp with neoprene protectors
Sand paper... NOT the rubbish from Bun....Bunnn.., you know the one, the big green shed full of crap...
A good quality steel straight edge- 600mm
Soldering iron

Prepare your self for a whole butt load of sanding... Brendan now holds the record of the most time spent sanding, around 10 hours worth!

The more care you take with the sanding, the better your finish will be.

DB's mantra is Sand, sand, sand again. When you think you have sanded enough, sand it some more:)

Brendan
15-05-2013, 11:38 AM
Good plan for stock then upgrade.
Basic tools:
Sand paper - people here don't like the stuff from Bunnings - irregular grains and doesn't last long - then again, some have got good results from it... The PitBull guys sell a pack that's pretty good - have used it myself.
You may want to order some copper shielding from StewMac or eBay - seems like shielding the pickups and controls is a key thing to do. There's some posts around with where you can get good stuff from and it shouldn't be too expensive - though it should be easier to do it before you wire everything up.
Straight edge - handy for checking out the straighness of the neck - needed for intonation and also if you want to dress frets.
Screwdrivers, etc...
Personally I went out and spent an outrageous $4 on an offcut foam block from Clark Rubber - I've used it to set up and sand the body and neck - and has been great.

Recommeded:
Couple of quick clamps - e.g., Irwin Quick Grips - DB has done a post on the build diary for my PB-4 that shows two medium grips and two spring clips - having tried to do what he's done with just the two mediums and some tape, then with the two spring clips the next day, it's a whole lot simpler with the right kit.
You may need a soldering iron - I didn't with the P Bass out of the box - I will only need it for upgrades. Don't know if it will be needed for the ST-1.

Optional:
Then you could look to how you want to improve it - radiussed sanding board to dress the frets (though there are ways to do it with less tools), files / rulers to build your own nut / take down any sharp edges on frets. Given that your shipping costs seem to have a flat base and then increase incrementally, you may want to almost bulk order things that you'll need / want down the line.

Finally:
To save costs, there are ways to build your own tools - DB has done a notched straight edge for checking fretboard straightness, WeirdBits has done a tute on DIY radius gauges, Robin has made some fret tools himself, etc.

Brendan
15-05-2013, 11:42 AM
Oh and forgot to say - to prep - give yourself somewhere comfortable to work - something you can spend some time in - if you want tunes, etc, get them ready. Make sure you also have some room to work with - I'm using pretty much all of a 1.8m long desk to do my bass with a couple of drawers for all the bits and bobs I'm not using right now.

The bodys of the basswood guitars seem to take very little to damage when they are fully sanded, so you want somewhere to keep them safe, but that is also clean and padded in some way so as to stop any knocks and dents (see Glen's thread on the Red Menace - a fingernail can leave dents in the wood)...

Walrus
15-05-2013, 11:52 AM
10 hours sanding! Sounds fun.

I think I have those tools covered. I'm in no hurry, with a young family, this is not going to be a nightly project for me.

Any tips on finish? I don't have a suitable spraying area, so I'm looking at Wudtone or similar. Are there any colours you'd avoid considering the basswood and the fact it's my first build?

Brendan
15-05-2013, 12:22 PM
Hasn't been the full 10 hours - probably 5-6 so far... that and a little dreaming...

Walrus
26-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Ok, spent an hour or two sanding today and things looking good so far.

Have a question about the picture below. When I mocked the kit up to check everything, I could see a small gap in the neck pocket. I've pushed the neck all the way in and whilst it's a snug fit, there is a clear gap of about 1mm.

I'd like to file the corners out a bit so it's perfect. Anyone think this isn't a good idea? It's the sort of thing that will annoy me.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/0d27x-20130525_113801_82550-1.jpg

WeirdBits
26-05-2013, 11:45 AM
You should first do a test fit with the pickguard and bridge in place and check your scale measurements, and see how the neck sits in relation to everything else. Then, and only then, will you be in a position to even consider making adjustments that could impact the scale length. Just my opinion.

dingobass
26-05-2013, 11:45 AM
Before you break out the files, it is a good idea to check the scale length as you don't want to shorten it and end up with a funky axe that never sounds quite right!
Also, you should find that the pick guard will cover that gap so no real need to worry about it.
the gap wont affect the sound, sustain or structural integrity of the guitar.

dingobass
26-05-2013, 11:46 AM
Dammit Weirdy.... you type too fast! :)

Walrus
26-05-2013, 11:19 PM
Good advice there guys, the pickguard covers it up so I will refrain from any filing. Can't believe I missed that.

Gavin1393
26-05-2013, 11:31 PM
Quote from dingobass on May 25, 2013, 20:46

...or...there is the other alternative to consider!

dingobass
27-05-2013, 01:00 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on May 26, 2013, 08:31

Quote from dingobass on May 25, 2013, 20:46

...or...there is the other alternative to consider!

Any more cheek outta you Gavmeister and the Hofner will be finished in a very garish hot pink :P :D

keloooe
27-05-2013, 01:21 AM
Do a Conch Girl and Amaranthine burst for him, he will LOVE it!!!! :P :D

Walrus
27-05-2013, 08:32 AM
Hmm, sounds intriguing. I'll look that one up, but I was kinda holding out on the burst until I do my second build (LP)...I'm trying to keep this one simple so there's not too much sanding & re-finishing.

Gavin1393
27-05-2013, 08:57 AM
Quote from Walrus on May 26, 2013, 17:32
Hmm, sounds intriguing. I'll look that one up, but I was kinda holding out on the burst until I do my second build (LP)...I'm trying to keep this one simple so there's not too much sanding & re-finishing.

Hey Walrus,

Don't bother with the pink and purple burst......

DB is putting together a Hofner Beatle Bass for me and the threats to paint is purple and pink are merely an attempt to keep me behaving myself...so far it seems to be working although my daughter would love the combination but would have to learn to play a fretless due to a previously misplaced comment from myself !

Walrus
06-06-2013, 05:04 AM
Pitbull package just arrived with Wudtone products...don't you just love getting stuff in the mail that isn't a bill! Looks like I'll be doing my finish this weekend...[takes deep breath].

wokkaboy
06-06-2013, 05:14 AM
good stuff Walrus, what wudtone colour did you end up ordering ?

Make sure you have plenty of sandpaper before you even consider applying the first coat of wudtone!

Gavin1393
06-06-2013, 05:29 AM
Hey Walrus

Don't rush the process. Give the body a really good sand through the grits. Honestly the sanding can take around 2 hours to do it properly. Any scratches you don't get out will show up in the finish.
Then when painting give it 48 hours between coats and use steel wool between coats or as directed. this will ensure a great result.

Walrus
07-06-2013, 12:14 AM
Thanks Gavin, I've done about 2-3 hours sanding already, just on the body...from 180-320 (not much with 320 cause I know Wudtone needs something to sink into). Still have to do the neck.

I hope to get two coats done this long weekend, then progressively finish it over the next week or 2.

Walrus
07-06-2013, 12:19 AM
Quote from wokkaboy on June 5, 2013, 14:14
good stuff Walrus, what wudtone colour did you end up ordering ?

I went with Carmine Gypsy, just a bit concerned about the one part of the 3 piece body that is a lot darker, which I think a darker red will hide better than my original plan of Surfer Girl.

Sanding has been my middle name for the last 3 weeks!

wokkaboy
07-06-2013, 12:45 AM
well done Walrus, carmine will go well over the darker and lighter basswood pieces. Trust me when you have seen wudtone applied to an under sanded body the stain really shows up any scratches and machine marks like a magnifying glass. Best to over sand than under sand !
Look forward to seeing the body after 1st deep coat.
Take your time applying the wudtone as well, try and get an even coat and apply in small areas and a final rub with the grain as it dries really quickly. Try avoid applying to large areas as when you get back to where you started it will be dry !

Gavin1393
07-06-2013, 12:45 AM
Quote from Walrus on June 6, 2013, 09:14
Thanks Gavin, I've done about 2-3 hours sanding already, just on the body...from 180-320 (not much with 320 cause I know Wudtone needs something to sink into). Still have to do the neck.

I hope to get two coats done this long weekend, then progressively finish it over the next week or 2.

Good man! :)

Walrus
08-06-2013, 08:58 AM
Did the deep colour coat today. It went well, but I have two questions.

1. Should I leave it for 1 or 2 days before base coat? The Pit bull vids say 2 days but the instructions say 1 day.
2. Should I be concerned about a few darker patches? The top and bottom were mostly fine, but the cutaways and some of the edges look a little patchy.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/ye53o-20130607_140935_184663.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/gl7nq-20130607_140935_165799.jpg

Gavin1393
08-06-2013, 09:45 AM
The edges do tend to be a bit patchy, it has to do with the wood being more porous at the edges and hence absorbing more Wudtone. when you steel wool this it will become smoother and when you put the top coats on it may still be a slightly different shade but if so it adds to the character of the guitar.
I'd definitely wait at least two days between coats and steel wool between each coat. The patches should become less pronounced as you proceed.

Walrus
08-06-2013, 09:50 AM
Thanks Gavin. I'll do the neck tomorrow and then wait a couple of days before getting back on to the body.

I'm very impressed with Wudtone as a product. So simple.

Brendan
08-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Walrus - take your time - I know its attractive to jump in and race ahead - but in the end it will be worth it (at least I keep telling myself that)!

Bass Guy
08-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Looks beautiful! Keep at it!

dingobass
09-06-2013, 06:16 AM
Mate, looks good!

I would almost be tempted to give it another deep colour coat ( if you have any left), this will even out and deepen the red.
Also, I don't steel wool between deep colour coats as this gives it more of a chance to really sink in.

Thanks for pointing out the disparity between the written instructions and our vid, we are in the process of updating the instructions as we have some nice new colours arriving soon...

Walrus
12-06-2013, 05:35 AM
Damn...DB I did the first base coat over the weekend before reading your post. I was actually thinking to myself whether 2 deep colour coats would be a good idea. The darker edges are still apparent, but not as obvious...however I think the darker edges are there to stay.

Would you keep going with the base coats now? Or lightly sand back and do another deep colour coat?

Walrus
12-06-2013, 05:38 AM
Before and after of headstock shaping. Going for a classic 50's strat look...a bit of sanding still to go, but largely there.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/5ab7l-2013-1-1.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/0907c-2013-2-1.jpg

Walrus
12-06-2013, 05:40 AM
First base colour coat. The golden looking bottom edge os the sunlight reflecting of some flame maple effect that is on the bottom piece. Not nearly as noticeable as the photo suggests.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/887t8-2013-1-2.jpg

wokkaboy
12-06-2013, 05:47 AM
Walrus,
the cutaways and edges always end up a darker colour.
Can't hurt to steel wool and put another deep coat on, then back to base coats. You will appreciate the deeper colour and more uniform finish with another deep coat

Walrus
12-06-2013, 08:48 AM
Will do. I certainly don't mind having a deeper red.

Walrus
21-06-2013, 10:35 AM
I've added another deep coat and two more base coats. That takes it to 2 deep coats and 4 base coats. As long as it looks OK once dry, I think I'll apply the top coat this weekend.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/o3nxb-20130620_211317-1.jpg

Brendan
21-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Walrus - looking good!

dvous
21-06-2013, 10:07 PM
Love the colour!

Gavin1393
21-06-2013, 10:19 PM
Stunning result so far!

Walrus
22-06-2013, 03:03 AM
Thanks guys, it's been fun watching the colour change as each new coat goes on. Copper tape arrived, and the decal paper...so the coast is clear to get this done.

maxaxe
22-06-2013, 07:44 AM
That looks seriously spiffy to me already.
Should be an outstanding effort when it's done 8-)

dingobass
22-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Wow... that does look nice.

Walrus
13-08-2013, 04:13 AM
Lost some time due to health issues, but I'm back! Hoping to finish this off quick smart and get a YouTube clip complete to spread the word!

Last night I did the copper shielding and the decal. The decal was pretty fiddle, definitely a job that I'm sure I can do better next time...still, I'm happy with the result.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/z7n6o-20130801_220403.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/s451u-20130801_202549.jpg

dingobass
13-08-2013, 04:38 AM
Glad you're feeling better.
The Axe look great and I don't see anything wrong with the decal!

Walrus
13-08-2013, 04:42 AM
ps. if you're interested in the font, it's a MS Word font, called Deftone Stylus, available here http://www.1001freefonts.com/DeftoneStylus.php

Walrus
13-08-2013, 04:50 AM
don't see anything wrong with the decal!
It's more that it took 3 attempts, and at super close inspection, it isn't perfect...but only something I'd notice.

Andyport
13-08-2013, 09:41 AM
Really like the red on the body....looking excellent.
Decal looks fine, good choice of font.
Have used that font before myself on some of my signage....looks really good with a chrome effect added to it.

Tim
13-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Looks awesum

gavinturner
15-08-2013, 12:29 PM
Great job! love the colour and the decal. this is going to be one sweet build!
cheers,
Gavin.

Walrus
16-08-2013, 02:23 AM
OK, I finished it! My wife went to see Pink last night, so I had the place to myself for 4 hours...decided to just get stuck in a finish it. Full assembly complete, plugged in...and she sings!

Question: I need to do intonation and setup etc, but I've got serious buzzing on the D string. Open D is fine, but its hitting the frets around the 12th-15th...just for the D. The other strings seem ok (still not right, but action and setup isn't done yet).

Any tips on this? I think the frets around there might not be perfectly hammered the fingerboard, there might be a .5mm gap between the fret and the rosewood. The neck looks perfectly straight, so I'm considering adjusting the truss rod to have a slight curve. I'm also considering fret levelling.

Photos to come.

keloooe
16-08-2013, 02:25 AM
Check the frets to see if they are sticking up, check the straightness of the neck AND the frets to see if the neck has too much backbow, and check the frets to see if they are not touching the strings!

Gavin1393
16-08-2013, 03:38 AM
You need to level the frets.
Once this is done then see the thread on intonation......follow the process shown there and if you are still having issues then we can help. Right now there are any of 7 or more things that may be causing the buzz.
For example:

1. Frets are not level.
2. The nut groove is to wide for the string
3. the bridge groove is too wide for the string
4. The action is too low
5. The nut slot at the 'D' string has been filed down too far
6. The saddle at the 'D' string needs to be raised.
7. The neck isn't straight......

stan
16-08-2013, 08:07 AM
great work so far Walrus, must be time for more pics!

Brendan
16-08-2013, 11:08 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Walrus on August 15, 2013, 11:23
Question: I need to do intonation and setup etc, but I've got serious buzzing on the D string. Open D is fine, but its hitting the frets around the 12th-15th...just for the D. The other strings seem ok (still not right, but action and setup isn't done yet).

Any tips on this? I think the frets around there might not be perfectly hammered the fingerboard, there might be a .5mm gap between the fret and the rosewood. The neck looks perfectly straight, so I'm considering adjusting the truss rod to have a slight curve. I'm also considering fret levelling.

Photos to come.

Stan - I think you know what to do - you've stated you need to do a fret levelling - they tend to be pretty rough straight from the factory. On top of that you need to check your setup, etc as mentioned above... Guess you're lucky it's only one of the strings not all 6 at the moment... I think that Gav Star has just posted instructions on fret levelling for best effect... Also worth brushing up on the intonation vid as well.

Good luck!

Walrus
16-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Thanks guys, I figured it was fret leveling time, just thought I'd ask in case there might have been a simpler solution. No matter, I thought I'd need to do this.

The nut looks OK, I've raised the saddle (which helped a bit) but didn't cure the problem entirely.

I'm actually looking forward to this, because I have another old guitar which could do with a full fret dress so this will be good practice.

DanMade
17-08-2013, 01:41 AM
I enjoyed levelling the frets on my first build I'm doing. It gives you some good experience and a greater understanding of what is needed for a good setup.
Take your time to understand the process the fist time you do it and you'll see that it's really a simple job with the right tools and a keen eye.

Brendan
17-08-2013, 04:26 AM
James - if you're strung up and have access to a Katana, contemporary wisdom is that they're a great way to go - otherwise them strings may need to come off...

Walrus
18-08-2013, 05:25 AM
What is the radius of the ST-1? I'm going to get a radius block for the fret level job.

Brendan
18-08-2013, 05:58 AM
James - from memory, all the Pitbulls are 12".

Gavin1393
18-08-2013, 04:31 PM
That is correct, you need a 12". Get one that is a minimum of 200mm long.

Walrus
15-10-2013, 10:28 AM
So, I did the fret level and I'm pretty happy. All done. Just uploading a video I've made covering the build. Hopefully this gets the Pit Bull name some exposure, because I think this community and these kits are fantastic.

I ended up making my own fret leveler, which was crude but worked. The crowning I did by hand with a small file...that was actually really fun and the frets came up great, especially after sanding with 320 grit and polishing with 0000 steel wool.

Anyway, check out the video (should be my next post)...I even have some audio of me at the end pretending to be David Gilmour. I tried to film it, but I couldn't align the audio I'd done...there's a bit of learning for me to do there.

Walrus
15-10-2013, 11:13 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MHES4L0tH4

Tim
15-10-2013, 11:23 AM
really nice James.. Awesum job

Walrus
15-10-2013, 11:32 AM
Thanks Tim, it was really just a first step for me and a great learning experience. Took twice as long as I thought, but got there in then end.

Fretworn
16-10-2013, 01:12 AM
Good job with the video, and the guitar.

wokkaboy
16-10-2013, 01:36 AM
yes well done James on the build and the video, and the "another brick in the wall" solo sounded pretty close to Dave Gilmour !

gavinturner
16-10-2013, 04:19 AM
Great job James. More of us should put together a presentation like this for YouTube! Great axe, great playing.

cheers,
Gavin.

Scott J.
16-10-2013, 09:32 AM
Truly great job James - on the both the beautiful strat AND the awesome video. You've certainly given us all something to aspire to!

lawry
16-10-2013, 10:23 AM
Got to agree with the crowd James. The video is a great way to show your build. It looks and sounds great. Congrats.

Analyst69
17-10-2013, 08:13 AM
Awesome video James.

If I hadn't already discovered how cool these kits are and how much fun they are to build, your video would have certainly convinced me.:)