PDA

View Full Version : Glennos RC1 - You never forget your first time!

glenno3228
06-05-2013, 10:58 PM
Hi folks,

its been a couple of weeks coming but the RC1 is done and has been stress tested by a freind of mine who is a much better player than I am. Other than some on going tuning that will no doubt be required as the guitar beds in, my first guitar is done.

The story so far.

A friend of my is making an acoustic guitar from scratch and its fair to say this inspired me to at least have a go with a kit. I only have acoustics and a bass so an electric guitar seemed fitting. I was going to get the ES kit but on watching the videos and reading about the fiddly electronics fit, thought I'd start with something a bit simpler for my first.

Enter the RC1. I promptly ordered, paid the money, and set about reading the support pages and watching the videos on this site to get the juices flowing.

I happened to be home when the courier pulled up with my PitBull guitar and if I wasn't heading out for a ride along the great ocean road would have stayed home to get started. The packaging had some dents and scratches on it so I took a couple of photos in case it penetrated to the kit. Thankfully all was good on the inside of the box so I set about laying out the kit to check the parts and basic fit.

Having made a lot of kit airplanes (both static and remote control) as a kid I know the value of prebuilding to get your head around how things go together before making it permanent with cuts, glue etc. During this process I found several things that challenged my understanding of the guitar.

Neck setting -

There were a couple of things that didn't gel with the neck in this kit when compared with the video. Firstly, the base of the guitar where the neck was to be glued had a fairly pronounced rocker on it. I'm not sure if this is deliberate to allow adjustment when gluing it in, but (against most of the advice on the site) I set about flushing the base to allow a better fit and stronger adhesion when I got the gluing process and if required, add a shim to set it. I did in the end use a shim of approx 0.5mm on the leading edge.

The second thing that concerned me with the neck was the string length between the 12th fret and the bridge. There is a post on this topic in the support pages. Thanks to Adam and DB for their thoughts on this, and special thanks to Gavin who set the mind at ease. In the end I have a very slight issue with the 12-Bridge length which manifests itself as a marginally flat second scale but its not a huge issue. I could have moved the front humbucker recess a couple of mm and sorted it but as a first attempt I'm happy with the results nonetheless.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/10beh-Guitar-Build-RC1-015.JPG

Staining and finishing -

I wanted to be able to do this with easy access to products to finish the kit and for this one wen the Mitre 10/Bunnings path for sand paper, stain, glue and shelac.

As the forum says, sand, sand, sand, sand. And when you've had enough, get your wife to sand. So it was. Lots of tidy up with the 240, then a finish with some 400 before the first coat of stain went in. I was going to go with a very dark colour but as the process unfolded I decided to make it look like a refurbished older guitar.

The colour scheme on the body is a black stain sanded back and reapplied, then a baltic stain applied and sanded back with 400 each time, coated with several thin coats of a poly/shelac blend. Again with sanding between coats though now with 600.

There was quite a bit of glue in places on the body that took a bit of rubbing to remove, and a couple of spots I left to avoid sanding valleys in the body. The one area I had the most trouble with is the tail recess. Where the bass wood body finishes and the laminated top starts is a bit finicky and heavily glue laden. For this reason I made this area the darkest finish to hide some of the imperfections. Once the tail piece is fitted it takes the eye away from the body anyway.

Its also worth mentioning that allowing curing time is critical between coats. Patience will prevail. In the absence of patience, the top of a warm oven post dinner can help aid the process on a cold wet day.

Gavin suggested that on his he was going to strengthen the f-hole with some balsa so I followed his lead on this front also. To do this I made a template of the hole by using the old school trick of getting a led pencil and a piece of paper. Masking the paper to the face of the guitar, lightly scribble back and forth across the f-hole with the side of the pencil tip. This will show up the shape on the paper which you can then use as a template for the balsa. Some trimming to make a shape that will fit inside the hole itself, a bit of glue and viola!

The neck I went for a straight shelac/poly finish to contrast the darker body. This really brought out the grain in the maple and I love the look.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/8nf68-Guitar-Build-RC1-032.JPG

Shaping the headstock -

I went for something that would fit in with the body and look a bit Rick. What I ended up with, I think, looks great.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/cr5c9-Guitar-Build-RC1-020.JPG

Fitting the hardware -

This was all pretty straight forward. The prebuild process should unveil a logical order to your build. For this kit, I used the bridge holes and pick ups as the anchor point and fitted them first. Where the bash plate was placed was then determined by the remaining space. It prefitted the lot before the soldering process so the holes were in place for the screws when the wiring was complete.

Wiring -

Watched the videos, printed out the schema and off I went. It's not a pretty soldering job but it worked fist go and there is no noise to speak of. And that's without the copper tape which I have yet to acquire.

So there you have it. A guitar in a little over 4 weeks. The next one will get more time to cure and maybe have a second on the go so I have something to do while I hurry up and wait.

glenno3228
06-05-2013, 11:02 PM
A few shots of the fished product -

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/35j3h-Guitar-Build-RC1-037.JPG
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/m998c-Guitar-Build-RC1-041.JPG
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/50s6i-Guitar-Build-RC1-034.JPG

glenno3228
06-05-2013, 11:04 PM
A few more to close......... 8-)

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/f0f53-Guitar-Build-RC1-042.JPG
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/4hfxw-Guitar-Build-RC1-041.JPG
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/2s0ae-Guitar-Build-RC1-043.JPG

pablopepper
06-05-2013, 11:33 PM
Oh. My. God. 8O

That is beautiful!

phloggy
06-05-2013, 11:40 PM
Wow. That's one purdy guitar.

GlennGP
06-05-2013, 11:50 PM
Yep. What Pablo said. Good skills, mate! Awesome looking guitar, you should be pretty chuffed.

pablopepper
07-05-2013, 12:11 AM
These RC kits have just gone up a notch IMO.

Bhull
07-05-2013, 12:45 AM
WOAH RC-1 is definitely going to be my next kit! Love the colour scheme you have going on there mate!!

WeirdBits
07-05-2013, 01:37 AM
I've never been a fan of Ricks, but that is one damn fine looking creation. Great job!

Gavin1393
07-05-2013, 02:25 AM
Just sensational! What a beautiful looking guitar.

glenno3228
07-05-2013, 02:45 AM
Thanks for the great comments folks. I am chuffed with this first attempt and will use it at the standard for those to come. I've learned a lot along the way and would do som things differently with the next. For now though its time to play and tweak the tuning.

:D

keloooe
07-05-2013, 03:29 AM
I was never a Rickenbacker fan until now..... Seriously great stuff there!!!!

stui
07-05-2013, 07:46 AM
Very nice result. I was already keen on the Rick kit, now I'm just a bit keener. This has made it just that little bit more difficult to decide my next project :?

glenno3228
18-05-2013, 06:21 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on May 6, 2013, 11:25

Thanks Gavin. Have you finished your RC1 yet? I'd be interested to know if your bridge pick up is as bright as mine. The difference between the neck and bridge is pretty dramatic but I can live with it. I have played with setting the bridge pup closer to, and further from the strings but this doesn't alter tone at all, only volume slightly. Is the difference normal for these pps?

Glenn

dingobass
18-05-2013, 01:02 PM
That is very, very noice!
Well done that Man :)

AJ
18-05-2013, 01:43 PM
looks fantastic there

Gavin1393
18-05-2013, 07:48 PM
Quote from glenno3228 on May 17, 2013, 15:21

Quote from Gavin1393 on May 6, 2013, 11:25

Thanks Gavin. Have you finished your RC1 yet? I'd be interested to know if your bridge pick up is as bright as mine. The difference between the neck and bridge is pretty dramatic but I can live with it. I have played with setting the bridge pup closer to, and further from the strings but this doesn't alter tone at all, only volume slightly. Is the difference normal for these pps?

Glenn

Not finished yet but agree. I had some concerns when i did the mock build about these issues. Particularly the angle of the bridge. Might be wise to investigate a "warmer" bridge pickup...something with some Alnico 2 magnets onboard?
The closer you get to the bridge the thinner the sound and hence brighter the tone. I'm not sure what is used in these pickups. Maybe Adam might be able to confirm.

glenno3228
18-05-2013, 08:29 PM
[/quote]

Not finished yet but agree. I had some concerns when i did the mock build about these issues. Particularly the angle of the bridge. Might be wise to investigate a "warmer" bridge pickup...something with some Alnico 2 magnets onboard?
The closer you get to the bridge the thinner the sound and hence brighter the tone. I'm not sure what is used in these pickups. Maybe Adam might be able to confirm.[/quote]

Thanks again Gavin, that makes sense. DB suggested on Phloggys diary that a change in cap and possibly pot for the bridge pup may warm it up a little so I'll give this a nudge and see how it goes.

So much to learn. :D

Glenn

Gavin1393
19-05-2013, 01:22 AM
The tone pot and capacitor comprise a low-pass filter, so, when you lower the pot, you lose treble and your tone gets darker. Also as you substitute caps of higher value, you lose more and more highs as you lower the pot.
A popular way to get rid of some highs in your tone is to solder a 500k ohm resistor on your 500k ohm pot to effectively turn it into a 250k pot!

robin
19-05-2013, 02:26 AM
Wow Glenn, yet another stunning guitar. And the bar is raised again ;)

rob

jase
19-05-2013, 06:50 AM
What a stunner!!

adam
22-05-2013, 05:01 AM
Found it! The only images of my beloved Ricky... from 1988.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MGWsmnIHWA

wokkaboy
22-05-2013, 05:29 AM
your joking nice video Adam, spose that was 25 years ago !

nice overdub of the music, the bass players A string has got no tension on it and the drummer doesn't seem to have a big enough kit for the sound he's generating.

Is that an original Adam ? what was the band name ?

adam
22-05-2013, 05:41 AM
The band was The Well, my original 3pc band in Melbourne. Yeah, the loose strings idea was the Bass Player's, and it just looks ridiculous now, but at the time... "yeah, that will look really cool". Ahhh, youth.

phloggy
22-05-2013, 06:06 AM
That song is as catchy as hell!

WeirdBits
22-05-2013, 09:50 AM
Quote from wokkaboy on May 21, 2013, 14:29
[...] spose that was 25 years ago ! [...]

It's not the years, it's the mileage ;)

glenno3228
22-05-2013, 10:01 AM
Do you still have the ric? 1988. That takes me back!

Gavin1393
22-05-2013, 10:44 AM
That song should be re-released. Years ahead of its time! How did it do at the time?

Here are some of my old band tracks! Didnt have a video budget back in the late 80's!

http://ia700301.us.archive.org/2/items/iuma-don_clarke/Don_Clarke_-_Turn_Back_the_Wheel.mp3

http://ia700301.us.archive.org/2/items/iuma-don_clarke/Don_Clarke_-_Fantasy.mp3

http://ia600301.us.archive.org/2/items/iuma-don_clarke/Don_Clarke_-_Corridors_of_Grey.mp3

adam
22-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Gav, it got played on FM Radio... once. Glenno, no I switched guitars like jocks back then, but I'm seriously considering making one of ours. They're beautiful guitars, but a tad limited tonally.

Gavin1393
22-05-2013, 11:00 AM
I'd seriously think about getting that out there again! It's a great track! Plyed it four times! Still love it!

Brendan
22-05-2013, 01:35 PM
Gav - didn't mind Corridors of Grey...

Adam - probably a bit young for I'm worried - though is there a non G rated one or shouldn't I ask?

Brendan
22-05-2013, 10:42 PM
Quote from adam on May 21, 2013, 19:51
Gav, it got played on FM Radio... once. Glenno, no I switched guitars like jocks back then, but I'm seriously considering making one of ours. They're beautiful guitars, but a tad limited tonally.

Adam, I know it's the perennial who's your favourite child question, but tonally, what's your favourite PBG? I figure you're the one who's heard the most played...

PS Glen - if I was to do a guitar - right now I want it to look like that (and you have me seriously thinking RC-1) :-).

Bundy64
23-05-2013, 04:25 AM
just saw this thread.that is a real nice guitar...might ad that to list of builds....

adam
23-05-2013, 07:49 AM
Brendan, that's a tough one. Of course, my personal fave is the LP-1S that DB made. It was one of the first he did and he gave it to me for Christmas... he actually paid full RRP for it! I guess it's disqualified because it has Guitar Fetish pickups. The ES-1G sounds really nice as do the the Thinlines TL-1TB and TL-1TH. However, if I had to pick one to use on stage, I'd go for DB's JM-1 (Jazzmaster). It sounds great and is good fun to play. The tremelo set up is nice too. The icing on the cake is that it looks so cool.

Brendan
23-05-2013, 01:44 PM
Good point - you guys do have a great selection of guitars - so hard to choose just one...

keloooe
23-05-2013, 09:03 PM
yea, now that there are over 45 Axes to choose from, it is getting harder and harder to choose from!!!!
It will be a life-saver for my parents when I finally move outta here and get a job, then I can build more guitars at a faster rate and have my own house to store them all in!!!

glenno3228
23-05-2013, 09:55 PM
And speaking of choice, I chose the Ric for my first build because I like the look of the originals and thought it would be a bit different. I also thought that the ES might be a bridge too far for my first attempt having read the "how to fit your electronics".

For my next attempt I had grand plans of trying the tele with the bigsby string breaker but they are very popular and out of stock at the moment, or the Fender Jag replica, also popular and out of stock. So after words of wisdom and encouragement from the brains trust (DB, Gav and Adam) I placed an order for the IB1 and some wudtone product.

I now wait patiently for the postie to bring me some more "personal growth" in a cardboard box. Looking forward to many hours of sanding, shaping, prebuilds, sanding, prebuilds, sanding, support calls, sanding, setting up, support calls, and eventually........playing.

Woo hop". 8O

Gavin1393
23-05-2013, 10:42 PM
Quote from glenno3228 on May 23, 2013, 06:55
I now wait patiently for the postie to bring me some more "personal growth" in a cardboard box. Looking forward to many hours of sanding, shaping, prebuilds, sanding, prebuilds, sanding, support calls, sanding, setting up, support calls, and eventually........playing.

Woo hop". 8O

I bounce around like a small child expecting a birthday present....thank goodness it only takes two days to get to me!

Instant Gratification Rules!

Brendan
23-05-2013, 11:01 PM
Personal Growth - will try that with the Minister of Finance & Treasury!

keloooe
24-05-2013, 04:26 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on May 23, 2013, 07:42
I bounce around like a small child expecting a birthday present....thank goodness it only takes two days to get to me!
Lol yea Gav, I was like that as well for my LP-1 when I was home...

AJ
24-05-2013, 11:50 AM
Quote from Brendan on May 23, 2013, 08:01
Personal Growth - will try that with the Minister of Finance & Treasury!

Or---- STKI --- what I plan on doing.. lol
:D

String Breaker
29-12-2013, 03:04 AM
woah man , this guitar is groovy as ! i cant wait to get started on my own c-1 now :)

stan
29-12-2013, 05:02 AM
looks awesome, post up more pics please!