PDA

View Full Version : Brendans PB-4

Brendan
06-05-2013, 12:22 PM
Right-o picked up a P-Bass kit from the swap meet and have started to play around. Still deciding on a colour - but figure I've got a little while before I get there - still have a little ( 8O ) sanding to do and a fretboard that while it looks OK out of the box I'm sure it'll have its own challenges.

First impression - looks easier than I thought it would be - Adam - you might want to update the description - no soldering seems to be required...

Some nice grain, interested to see what the colour I pick brings out in it. Anyway - dark version of the mock build below.

Will keep you up to date.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/ay1xh-P1050447.JPG

Brendan
06-05-2013, 12:31 PM
One thing - anyone know the radius of the PB-4 neck? I spoke to DB he thought it was 12" and am planning on buying a sanding block for that radius but would hate to end up with an extra... Not that I'm doubting DB, but if someone has worked it out, 'twould be appreciated.

dingobass
06-05-2013, 12:39 PM
Hi Brendan.

Broke out my trusty radius gauges and yep, the radius is 12" :D

WeirdBits
06-05-2013, 12:57 PM
If you aren't sure and don't have radius gauges, you could try making a couple of rudimentary ones yourself.

With a good ruler with a hole in one end, or a piece of wood with a hole in one end and then holes at (exactly) 10, 12, 14 and 16 inches from the end hole (think small nail holes), mark/scribe 10, 12 and 14 etc. inch arcs onto different parts of something like an icecream container lid (soft but stiff plastic), then carefully cut them out (write which is which on the plastic). If you do it accurately enough you should be able to test the neck with them and see which radius matches.

Just an idea.

Gavin1393
06-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Hi Scott

You explanation intrigues me. I'm shocking at conceptializing engineering topics. If what you describe works I'd say it would be of benefit to a number of folk on the forum. Any chance you could do a thread tutorial on making the radius guages up?

Gav

Gavin1393
06-05-2013, 01:36 PM
Hey Brenden!

Nice to see you have the build thread up already. I think all the Pitbull guitars are 12". Adam may correct this but certainly all the ones I have worked on are....9 or so I think!

If it has good grain, stick with a 'woody' type colour. DB's Ibanez 5 string is just bloody gorgeous. I think he used Dark Tease on that. Something like that would be awesome?

Gav

Brendan
06-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Sweet - thanks guys - was about to break out the google and see if I could find a printable like below just to confirm DB from this arvo, but now he's confirmed I'm good to go!

http://www.pickguardian.com/pickguardian/Images/Pickguardian%20Neck%20Radius%20Gauges.pdf

Many thanks.

Brendan
06-05-2013, 03:28 PM
Following dmac's plan (http://pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=18) I have started to try to true the neck of my bass. Downside is - nothing that I can use to centre it - cavity is off centre (not an issue as its covered by pickguard - and there's some woof with the pickguard moving around, so the pickups in the guard are not an option).
So...
1. Took the neck holes (assuming that they are the best thing I have to centre the body).
2. Found the centreline for those holes.
3. Extended the centreline to the top of the guitar.
4. Took that out to somewhere near the cavity (give myself some length to work with).
5. Marked out 2 points 50mm from centre that are the same distance from the front.
6. Double checked lines and measurements.

We'll see how it all works tomorrow when I can get some string out to confirm.

As for colour - leaning towards a Dark Amber. Was saving the Dark Tease for my own IB-5 build in a couple of months...

Saw some more photos of the Strat that they did in Dark Amber ( http://www.wudtone.com/2009/10/31/50s-earth-mofo/) and it looks the business.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/2e377-Centring-points.jpg

WeirdBits
07-05-2013, 09:24 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on May 5, 2013, 22:32
Any chance you could do a thread tutorial on making the radius guages up?

Ask and ye shall receive (http://pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=282.0#postid-3846).

dingobass
07-05-2013, 12:52 PM
Hi Brendan,

I would not trust the bolt holes to be an accurate point to line the neck up...

The easiest way to do this is to clamp the neck in, grab the E and G strings, slide them through their respective bridge holes.

Then find the scale length and position the bridge. I use a length of timber and two clamps to lightly hold it in place.

Next I drop the scratch plate and pups in.

Clamp the strings to the headstock and you will have a guide to getting the bridge, neck and pups in the correct alignment.

If I can find a spare 10 minutes tomorrow I will do a mock up on the PB kit I have here and post some pics.

Gavin1393
07-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Aren't you finished yet? :p

Brendan
07-05-2013, 02:59 PM
Thanks for that DB. Figured I'd get it all lined up and drilled before any sanding (oops too late - some 180 grit action tonight).
Couple of questions:
1. In trying to get the neck angle right, it looks like I'm going to need a shim at the nut end of the cavity. Is the card that comes with the bridge too thick? I end up with a little distance between the frets and the fretboard with the bridge at half mast. To get the full 20c experience it looks like two card shims.

2. Perennial one - how much sanding - i.e., when do you shift from 180 - 220 grit? Feels like I'm taking a lot of wood off - at least there's a lot of dust... Understand the need for a facemask of sorts.

Couple of glue spots on the back, but they seem to have gone pretty quickly with a brass brush and some 180 grit. Small filler spot on the back as well - may pop into Bunnings in the next few for some timbermate to replace it - alternatively, I could keep sanding..... so... anyone for the best timbermate for the basswood?

DB as for setup, I think I get the idea - (if everything lines up with the centre of the neck, it doesn't matter too much if that is marginally out from the centre of the body) but if you've got the time - I am a visual thinker so it wouldn't hurt.

Brendan
07-05-2013, 03:14 PM
Just had a thought (I know they do happen). Planning on giving a bone nut a go (was getting some stuff from Stewmac anyway so a piece of bone isn't much more)... Should I work on sanding the body / neck until I have a new nut in place?

keloooe
07-05-2013, 09:03 PM
if you are replacing the nut, you might even want to level the frets! make sure the neck is dead straight first, by lightly clamping a length of wood on the fretboard (make sure the neck is padded to prevent damage!), and it can give you a guide as to how straight the neck is!

Brendan
07-05-2013, 11:11 PM
Just waiting on the 12" radiussing block. That gave me the option of a bone nut... Just will need to make myself one of those radius guides in the meantime.

dingobass
08-05-2013, 12:24 AM
Quote from Brendan on May 6, 2013, 23:59
Thanks for that DB. Figured I'd get it all lined up and drilled before any sanding

No probs Brendan,

Now to answer your questions.

1. There is no neck angle as such, you will find with these kits that the string height is quite good once you have the truss rod fine tuned (after stringing up and tuning) so no need to worry about this just yet.

2. With the sanding it is all visual! So keep going until you can see no more scratch marks, dents or gremlins deeper than the grade you are using.
Then go up a grade and do it all again.
Repeat until you have got to 240 grit.

3. I would go for the natural Timbermate as this will take the colour of the stain used quite nicely.

For checking the straightness of the neck, I would not use a piece of timber.
A good steel rule or even a long spirit level is more accurate as timber is never dead straight!

dingobass
08-05-2013, 08:04 AM
OK. I found that spare 10 minutes so here it is.

First, jam the neck in as far as it will go, clamp it and then drop the scratch plate on.(make sure your clamp is clear of the holes, as you may as well drill these when everything is set up)
This should have a fairly tight fit around the neck heel, mine did.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/avz42-IMG_1635.JPG
Then grab your bridge and trusty rule or tape measure, you will notice that I have got a measurement of 460mm to the out side edge of the bridge plate (measuring from the middle of the 12th fret wire). This gives you a good scale length with plenty of wiggle room and adjustment for intonation.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/4eejm-IMG_1636.JPG
Clamp the bridge lightly and run the E and G strings through and clamp them on the headstock
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/28wd2-IMG_1639.JPG

dingobass
08-05-2013, 08:14 AM
When you have got this sorted, you will be able to move the bridge side to side until you have the strings equally spaced along the neck.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/46cz4-IMG_1638.JPG
Now have a look to see how well the strings are placed over the pups. You will be able to move the scratch plate enough to get these lined up perfectly.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/3o009-IMG_1639.JPG
If you have problems getting the strings and pup alignment right, you will notice that with some careful work with a half round file at the neck you will be able to rectify this.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/h5uk8-IMG_1640.JPG

Once you are satisfied, check everything again and then once more!
Drill the bridge mount holes, pick guard holes and finally the neck holes.
Now it is time to go fully sick with sanding and finishing! :D

Brendan
08-05-2013, 01:04 PM
Thanks DB - gave it a go tonight - not happy with the outcome - was farting around with the wrong tools - trying to keep the strings in place with tape, etc. Figured I'd get a night's sleep, then head out to Bunnings and get the right tools and try again tomorrow - worked on the headstock and cut out a design I'm pretty happy with - scored a neck with some nice grain in the headstock that I can leverage and come up with something I think I'll love.

Thanks DB for the photos - make all kind of sense - if anything they seemed easier (too easy?) than I expected (until I pfaffed around with the wrong tools :x )...

Anyway - time wasn't wasted - I'm getting to know the guitar more and more - and being able to focus on the headstock now is good as it will help with the tone of the rest of the guitar. (photos tomorrow? - wet outside and I'm wussing out).

keloooe
08-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Nice mini-article DB, I see the SM Guitar Tech Screwdriver Set you own, I got a mate who has one and it makes everything so much easier, I have one in my order that is waiting to get here!

robin
08-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Thanks DB, hugely helpful for future builds. It's easy when you know how, huh?

If only I'd seen than before I put the ST together. Even an old guy like me can learn something new each day. Love it.

Cheers
rob

Brendan
09-05-2013, 01:19 PM
Got it all setup and key drilling done before rain started coming into shed. Packed it all up just before we lost Power, so I guess an early night is on the cards.
Thanks DB for the instructions-they're great and helped heaps.

Brendan
11-05-2013, 01:00 PM
All, some eye candy... Body sanded down to 180 grit. Noticed the Pitbull sanding kits go down to 240 grit - any need to go finer?

Gavin, you mentioned that you use a damp cloth to wipe over the guitar while sanding - what stage do you do that? I'm guessing last sand to get rid of any burrs or fluff... Had to make a mercy dash to Carba tech this morning to get some coarser sandpaper - there were some deep tooling grooves along the sides and the 180 just wasn't cutting the mustard. Have also used Bunning 80 grit in the cavities to flatten out a little for the copper shielding to grip to - had a bit of a lump in one of the cavities, which would have been a challenge to shield. Got some copper coming from UK (Large sheets) and HK (roll).
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/i5rch-WP_20130510_002.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/yfcc0-WP_20130510_003.jpg

Gavin1393
11-05-2013, 01:44 PM
Give the body a wipe down with a damp cloth before commencing sanding. Especially with the bass wood body. This rises the wood fibres that cause the wood to appear fluffy....the process of sanding will cut down these fibres giving you a level surface to work off.

maxaxe
13-05-2013, 07:29 AM
Quote from Brendan on May 8, 2013, 22:19
Got it all setup and key drilling done before rain started coming into shed. Packed it all up just before we lost Power, so I guess an early night is on the cards.
Thanks DB for the instructions-they're great and helped heaps.

Hi Brendan

Nice meeting you at the swapmeet.
Glad to see you're progressing on the bargain bass you picked up.
It does have a nice grain and I reckon your choice of Wudtone Dark Amber will look beautiful.
With all the care you are taking the finished article should be fantastic - well worth all the little dramas you seem to be encountering.

Max

dingobass
13-05-2013, 08:14 AM
Hey Brendan,

240 grit will be fine enough.

So far she is looking good! :D

Brendan
13-05-2013, 08:29 AM
Went with Gav's slightly damp sand option last night and it came up a treat. Found a couple of bumps that showed mostly when wet. May have been an issue when wudtoning - gone now. Torn between carmine gypsy and dark amber - still can't decide, though will have to tonight as the order is going in.

dingobass
13-05-2013, 08:33 AM
Now just to confuse the issue, hows about the Cherry Flamenco? :P

Or, if you ask me I could mix up a nice dark red for you.... That would be one sexy colour to do this baby in 8-)

Brendan
13-05-2013, 10:43 AM
Cherry Flamenco looked a bit orange, but looking at the guitar in the stain, maybe suitable - I was wanting something definitely red. The offer of a dark red sounds alluring - how long and how much?

Gavin1393
13-05-2013, 11:16 AM
Quote from dingobass on May 12, 2013, 17:33

Or, if you ask me I could mix up a nice dark red for you.... That would be one sexy colour to do this baby in 8-)

Dark Red? You've cut yourself pulling out the frets of your latest build again, haven't you? 8O

dingobass
13-05-2013, 01:20 PM
Quote from Gavin1393 on May 12, 2013, 20:16

Dark Red? You've cut yourself pulling out the frets of your latest build again, haven't you? 8O

Yep, Your Beatle Bass looks much better without those pesky frets on the neck Gavin :P
Should go well with the pink finish I have got ready for it :D

Brendan
13-05-2013, 01:53 PM
Hmmm, pink hoffner... How about that anthracite for the neck - nice dark purple to set off the pink?

keloooe
13-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Pink / purple burst or pink body with a purple neck sounds very noice!

Brendan
14-05-2013, 10:35 AM
Project's finally got a name - plan was for each project to have a name related to a song. This one - Blood Red Rose - Kev Carmody song (though I like the Clare Bowditch version) - goes with the intended dark red colour.

Other project names will be revealed in time...

dingobass
14-05-2013, 12:00 PM
You will love the colour I mixed for you... It is blood red! 8-)

Gavin1393
14-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Quote from dingobass on May 12, 2013, 22:20

Yep, Your Beatle Bass looks much better without those pesky frets on the neck Gavin :P

Are you finishing a guitar or firewood!!?? ;)

dingobass
14-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Quote from Gavin1393 on May 13, 2013, 21:15

Quote from dingobass on May 12, 2013, 22:20

Are you finishing a guitar or firewood!!?? ;)

Got the rainbow sticker for the headstock.... Booked you a gig at the Blue Oyster as well :D

Brendan
14-05-2013, 01:24 PM
Can you get some spokey dokeys on there somewhere? Apparently they have a brilliant colour and sound.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bicycle-Spokey-Dokey-Spoke-Beads/dp/B004CXZSDA

Gavin1393
15-05-2013, 10:01 AM
Quote from dingobass on May 13, 2013, 22:06

Got the rainbow sticker for the headstock.... Booked you a gig at the Blue Oyster as well :D

...if only I knew how to play a fretless bass!!

Brendan
15-05-2013, 10:34 AM
One way to learn...

Brendan
15-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Wudtone arrived today - though am considering delaying the gratification (good thing I'm Gen X) for a few days to squeeze in some more ... sanding. Overall it feels smooth, but just want to be double sure - I'm hoping to get a nice even finish at the end - 'specially coz of the custom colour!!

So far have spent a couple of hours sanding in total (1-2 hours / day for the last 5 days). Burnt through a whole pack of PB sandpaper so have made the mercy dash to Carbatec to get some more (hoping its a touch better than the B bomb place).

dingobass
15-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Wow..... and I thought I was anally retentive about sanding! :)

I think it would be safe to say that Brendan has set a new record for the longest sanding effort yet...

When you start the Wudtone, don't steel wool the first couple of coats of the deep colour, this allows it to soak right in and give you an amazing colour....

Brendan
15-05-2013, 11:24 AM
Only learning from the best...

Gavin1393
15-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Quote from dingobass on May 14, 2013, 20:14
Wow..... and I thought I was anally retentive about sanding! :)

I think it would be safe to say that Brendan has set a new record for the longest sanding effort yet...

When you start the Wudtone, don't steel wool the first couple of coats of the deep colour, this allows it to soak right in and give you an amazing colour....

Pfffffffttttttttt!! Only 10 hours! I scoff at 10 hours....... ;) :P :D

Acoustic guitar.......

Initial thicknessing of the back
Thicknessing of the sides
Thicknessing of the soundboard

About 5 hours!

Feathering of the back and soundboard

About 3 hours!

After gluing up the binding, scraping and sanding wood bindings- 2 hours

Working on the neck and headstock. - 3 hours

Final sanding and preparation before Wudtoning - 2-3 hours

total 15 - 16 hours!

well done Brenden, soon you'll have the arm strength to take on the sanding of an acoustic. ;)

Brendan
15-05-2013, 01:19 PM
Dumb question - my gut tells me Wudtone one side - hang it up to dry and then do the other - is this the way to go or is there some funky footwork to get it all done at the same time?

PS - wasn't 10 hours - probably in the 5-7 range...

dingobass
15-05-2013, 01:26 PM
There are a few ways to hold the body.
1. Ram a broom handle in the jack hole..... Hmmm.. just realised that sounds a bit tasteless....
2. Grab a chunk of 3 x 1 and simply attach it to the neck pocket with a couple of wood screws through the mount holes.

Either of these two methods will allow you to hold the body in a vice or clamp it to your work bench allowing you to work on all sides of the body.

Gavin1393
15-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Quote from dingobass on May 14, 2013, 22:26
1. Ram a broom handle in the jack hole..... Hmmm.. just realised that sounds a bit tasteless....

Ouch! Wince!!

WeirdBits
15-05-2013, 01:43 PM
If you've got some old bearings etc. or similar laying around you could build yourself something like this (http://pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=152.4#postid-3514). It's built around the wheel bearing and axl from and old golf buggy, and allows me to rotate the body while applying the Wudtone (I use a cut off broom handle in the jackhole to steady it with my free hand). Not perfect, but it works.

Brendan
15-05-2013, 03:26 PM
Gripped by white line fever, I've pushed on and applied the deep colour. End result - something like a pale jarrah - definately some red / brown hues there... fascinated to see where it ends up...

Small paler area on the back effectively where a line drawn through the two screws hits the top timber sheet and a timbermate filled chip that isn't hodling the stain too well yet that I have tried dabbing tonight and may give another go tomorrow to darken it up.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/01d8w-WP_20130515_003.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/ud4ep-WP_20130515_001.jpg

dingobass
15-05-2013, 11:08 PM
Keep adding the deep colour until you run out! It will darken up a treat when you have done this and then applied 3 or 4 base coats.

AJ
16-05-2013, 12:20 AM
looking great already

Brendan
16-05-2013, 12:52 PM
Letting it brew for 48 hours - will give it another coat tomorrow night.

wokkaboy
16-05-2013, 01:53 PM
Yer looking good Brendan. What's the secret wudtone colour that's been mixed?

Gavin1393
16-05-2013, 02:10 PM
I hear it's DingoBass Blood mixed with wax and secret oils.....

keloooe
16-05-2013, 09:01 PM
Quote from Gavin1393 on May 15, 2013, 23:10
I hear it's DingoBass Blood mixed with wax and secret oils.....
I may have heard that somewhere from a little blue bird :P

dingobass
16-05-2013, 10:08 PM
I call it DB blend number 666.... Nah, just messin, it is Carmine Gypsy with a dash of Dark Onyx..

keloooe
16-05-2013, 10:55 PM
DB, get some Goldenrod and mix a tiny amount of Dark Onyx Deep Colour, it makes a rich gold colour, looks awesome next to DO!!!

dingobass
17-05-2013, 04:24 AM
I will give that a try Pest. If it works we might have to call it Golden Pest or something :)

wokkaboy
17-05-2013, 04:46 AM
sounds good dark onyx and carmine.

yes that would be golden Pest or dark pest - DO and golden rod

dingobass
17-05-2013, 08:47 AM
Dark Pest...... BWAHAHAHAHA! I like it :)

Brendan
17-05-2013, 09:37 AM
I dub the new colour Carmine Dark Onyx Gypsy, or in honour of its creator, C-Dog.

Brendan
17-05-2013, 12:20 PM
Second coat of deep base didn't take too long - then again, forgot to steel wool lightly before applying, so not sure how much will have seeped in. Seems to be getting slightly redder and less reddy brown as time goes on.

dingobass
17-05-2013, 12:34 PM
It is actually not a bad thing to forget to steel wool between deep colour coats.
I have found that it helps with darker colours.

Question... Who is c dog? :)

Brendan
17-05-2013, 12:40 PM
;) I figured it fitted in with the whole dingo thing...

Brendan
17-05-2013, 01:07 PM
DB - you seen this jig? Fretboard Radius Jig http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNm5G84ht5A

dingobass
17-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Hmmm.... Not really convinced as there is to much play in the set up.
I have seen so many of these inventions over the years but when it comes to the crunch, nothing beats a machined radius sanding beam for an accurate radius on a fret board.

Brendan
19-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Final deep bass on tonight (piccies tomorrow when the light's better)... Getting redder all the time - lost some of the brown that was there on the 1st coat. Love the feel of it on the basswood - already feels like its hardening the wood up.

Brendan
20-05-2013, 04:26 AM
As promised - update photos - got my handy assistant to give me a hand. Moving on to the bass coat tomorrow...

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/60p23-WP_20130519_001.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/8e46k-WP_20130519_002.jpg

WeirdBits
20-05-2013, 04:38 AM
Looking 'bloody' good.

AJ
20-05-2013, 07:00 AM
looking very nice there

Brendan
20-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Excited to see what happens with the bass coat. 8-)

dingobass
20-05-2013, 08:14 AM
Damn! I think I might have nailed it when I mixed that colour for you Brendan!
Looking fantastic, you are doing a great job on that Bass.

Can't wait to see the colour deepen up as you apply the base coats.

Brendan
20-05-2013, 08:16 AM
Quote from dingobass on May 19, 2013, 17:14
Damn! I think I might have nailed it when I mixed that colour for you Brendan!

Agreed - v. excited here..... :D

Gavin1393
20-05-2013, 09:36 AM
Looking like you might have DB! Mighty fine job Brenden!

keloooe
20-05-2013, 09:04 PM
WOW!!!!! All of a sudden everyone's Axes are looking better than Gibsons and Fenders!!!!!

Brendan
22-05-2013, 01:25 PM
Figured a small update - off night tonight (though had a package from StewMac waiting for me at home so the frets got some work done).

Second bass coat tomorrow - aiming for at least 3, maybe more - see how it turns out...
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/38x98-WP_20130521_006.jpg

Bass Guy
22-05-2013, 01:44 PM
Damn, that is HOT! What scratchplate/hardware you putting with it?

Brendan
22-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Going standard for now - the white seems to fit nicely - was considering upgrading pots, etc - more because there's no soldering required for this kit and if I want to learn, it looks like a good one to have a play with. Also picked up one of DB's doohickey's to have a play with as well http://pitbullguitars.com/?product=pit-bull-guitars-fidelity-upgrade as much to see what they do and that they're cheap as... DB was recommending StewMac's Golden Age pickups (http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Pickups:_Bass/Golden_Age_Pickups_for_P-Bass.html), which I may give a go - more of a weekend hack than serious player - I sometimes play at church, but more often at home...

dingobass
22-05-2013, 06:11 PM
Hooly, Dooley that is looking seriously hot Brendan......

keloooe
22-05-2013, 09:01 PM
I have to echo DB there, that is a really damn sexy bass ya got there Brendan!!!!

dingobass
23-05-2013, 10:01 PM
And just to throw my two cents worth in, a white Pearloid guard would look really nice on that red....

keloooe
24-05-2013, 05:08 AM
I was going to do my ST-1 in Cherry Flamenco with a white Pearloid guard, how does the CF look on basswood DB????

wokkaboy
24-05-2013, 05:14 AM
Quote from keloooe on May 23, 2013, 14:08
I was going to do my ST-1 in Cherry Flamenco with a white Pearloid guard, how does the CF look on basswood DB????

look at the picture on the wudtone custom finish link thumbnail Pest, pretty sure thats cherry flamenco.
It would look just like Robins Strat but slightly deeper red, would look orsome

When I get time to sand my PBH-4 bass I'm doing that in CF so I'll post some photos of that, that is basswood

Brendan
31-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Quick update - rosy goodness continues - but have been flat out the last few nights on frets, frets and practicing for a friend's 40th... Looks like one of DB's Katana's wouldn't go astray, or at least one of those little bones...

Now that the frets are done, I've done the first coat of the neck, with more to come over the weekend...

Body - not sure when to stop - want to look at the guitar in real sunlight, but the colour's beautiful now and I'm torn - do I continue and see where it goes (still got 1/2 a bottle of base to go), or do I get into the top coats so I can crank this bad boy up and give it a whirl...

Was looking around at pickups - as much to see what's out there as for any other reason - anyone heard of or used Entwistle pickups? http://www.entwistlepickups.com/pickup.php?puid=PBX

Seem cheap, but with good wraps...

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/728tl-WP_20130530_002.jpg

rhay
31-05-2013, 02:13 PM
Looking good! I'd keep going with the stain an cherry it right up.

RE: the Entwhistle P-ups, I've never used them but the people who do seem to rave about them. I've got a fretless P-bass on the bench at the moment which needs all new electrics and these might be a good option. If you do use them i'd appreciate knowing how they go.

Brendan
31-05-2013, 02:23 PM
Will do...

keloooe
31-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Wow Brendan, that is a sexy looking bass already!!! It has my P bass vibes going!!!!
DB, can you please keep the secret DB blood recipe that Brendan has, I would love to have that colour going on with my next Strat!

Bass Guy
01-06-2013, 12:19 AM
Re the Entwistle pickups- do those prices strike you as incredibly inexpensive? Thirteen quid for a P bass pickup?? Nine quid for a Jazz pickup??

Sure there's an exchange rate to contend with, but I am tempted to give them a shot.

Brendan
01-06-2013, 01:08 AM
That's what I was thinking - they do seem cheap, but those that use them seem happy...

dingobass
01-06-2013, 04:50 AM
I think I might be coming around to steal that Bass, Brendan......

Seriously though, you have nailed it! If it was me I would be thinking about starting the top coats now.

Well done!

Brendan
10-06-2013, 12:57 PM
Top coats started. Photo of the back of the neck - using Vintage Amber stain / top coats. Photos of the body just show red, though even without the topcoats, there's a bit of semi gloss around.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/93fq0-WP_20130609_001.jpg

Gavin1393
10-06-2013, 01:00 PM
This is goingto be good!

keloooe
10-06-2013, 08:43 PM
Quote from Gavin1393 on June 9, 2013, 22:00
This is goingto be good!
It's going to be REALLY good!!!!

Brendan
24-06-2013, 11:41 AM
Quick update - top coats going well - was waiting a week between coats (crossed lines) and rethought it and am now taking a couple of days between top coats. Keeping them thin, but may give it a couple of more coats before calling it quits... Lack of other things to do, so have shielded the back of the pickguard. Waiting on the top coats to dry to do the cavity. Also drilled out the ground wire hole to the bridge to allow me to replace the supplied wire with a shielded one that was a few mm thicker - found a long 1/8" bit that is a poofteenth bigger than the 3mm wire, but just enough to go through nicely. No reason for this bass to be anything but silent.

wokkaboy
25-06-2013, 05:49 AM
so is the PB going to be ready to enter GOTM July Brendan ?

could be 3 basses entered with yours, mine and Gav's !

Gavin1393
25-06-2013, 07:53 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from wokkaboy on June 24, 2013, 14:49
so is the PB going to be ready to enter GOTM July Brendan ?

could be 3 basses entered with yours, mine and Gav's !

Enough to have a Bass Guitar of the month compo?

Brendan
25-06-2013, 10:09 AM
May have to come up with a reason to push it back a month... The standards are quite high!

robin
25-06-2013, 01:03 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Brendan on June 24, 2013, 19:09
May have to come up with a reason to push it back a month... The standards are quite high!

No don't do that Brendan, I MIGHT have a bass ready for next month and I don't think I want to come up against yours.

Classic looking P Bass mate. :)

rob

Brendan
30-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Disaster!

All good to start to put it together - had taken the body off my painting pole and put it down for a minute to do something and now I know bodies can bounce... Unfortunately on the face of all places... :x

Have sanded back most of the damage and started to apply Wudtone again - out of deep base, so will try the areas with the base coat only. So far it's looking ... better... Will see what a couple more coats will do. Unfortunately had to learn this lesson the hard way...

:(
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/5b4ut-WP_20130629_002.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/n2d29-WP_20130629_003.jpg

WeirdBits
30-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Quote from Brendan on June 24, 2013, 19:09
May have to come up with a reason to push it back a month...

I think this qualifies! The suspicious among us might think...

Ouch, there's nothing worse than seeing all your hard work undone in the blink of an eye. Heartbreaking :( The gods of luthery can be fickle and cruel, and you have my utmost sympathy. Did the fall/drop happen in slow motion with your accompanying scream of "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo" unable to do anything to stop/catch it? It did when mine fell (fortunately it was still bare wood and only partially sanded at the time, but I counted 7 major dents afterwards).

As frustrating as it is when you're so close to finishing it, I'm sure it will clean up ok with more time and patience... and, bright side, now you'll be able to take on the Pest in the August GOTM.

Gavin1393
30-06-2013, 11:36 PM
Brendan, did you use the water trick to swell the compressed part back to original? If not. Stop and bring it with you today and I will help you with it.

keloooe
01-07-2013, 02:51 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from WeirdBits on June 30, 2013, 00:16
and, bright side, now you'll be able to take on the Pest in the August GOTM.
Haha Scott, you just HAD to mention my awesome LP!!! It's almost done actually, the too has 3 coats on it that I might increase to 4 in some areas, and the back is almost done... So during that time period I'll also apply the neck top coats, the. I'll be wiring, then gluing the neck, then it's all just stringing up and letting the mighty beast roar!

maxaxe
01-07-2013, 09:06 AM
All good to start to put it together - had taken the body off my painting pole and put it down for a minute to do something and now I know bodies can bounce... Unfortunately on the face of all places... :x

Jeepers Brendan, I would still be swearing fluently right now if that had happened to me. Especially considering the beautiful finish you have achieved.
Good fortune with the recovery process my boy . . .

dingobass
01-07-2013, 12:23 PM
O CRAP!
Brendan, if you want some deep colour I can sort it out for you and have it in the post tomorrow mate.
Email me at dingobass@pitbullguitars.com

Brendan
01-07-2013, 11:24 PM
Will see how my fix went tonight - applied colour on Saturday night after dropping it. If that's taken then should be good. Otherwise....

That is after cleaning my man cupboard and making sure there's no reason for it to happen again!

Thanks heaps for the offer!

Brendan
02-07-2013, 01:16 PM
OK - cold hard light of day (didn't look @ it yesterday as I'd be too tempted to react rashly) the damage seems significant but not catastrophic. About 6 big chips in the shell (Wudtone seems to have protected the body well) and lots of smaller dings where it seems a grit of sand has gotten into the top. See first photo. I'm thinking sand top and sides back totally and start them again or just points of damage and try to match colours.

My main concern is area on the bottom left where it seems there's a "V" shaped crack running between the control cavity and the back of the body. See second and third photos (one I've highlighted the damage). Nothing seems loose, but given the shape of the cracking, I'm worried of some underlying damage. I've peeled back the shielding but as I hadn't sanded the cavity too much so you can't see anything there. Should I be worried about this or am I making stuff up? I did sand locally on Saturday and try to repair using base coat only, but the depth of colour isn't there. Unfortunately it doesn't carry with the dodgy phone camera with poor lighting (makes it look like it did pre drop :?).

Positive note - man cupboard upgraded with *new* rubber mats for flooring - may not stop all the damage, of the next drop, but may stop some :|. Benefit of 20:20 hindsight. Also cleared more space on my workbench so hopefully there's no reason for another drop.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/08h75-WP_20130701_005-annotated.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/pm2c6-WP_20130701_002-with-arrows.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/p688o-WP_20130701_003.jpg

Brendan
02-07-2013, 01:28 PM
More positives - the neck looks great - really happy with it - logo has come up nicely and overall was fairly successful and simple.

Tricks - printed on a laser printer at work on laser printer decal paper, but not sure both were what they seemed - print didn't seem to stabilise properly, so my first decal's print rubbed off when I left it in the water for long enough. But Wudtone to the rescue - light coat of top coat on the second decal, leave it for 24 hours and Bob's your relative of choice. Plan now - add lots of top coats to the head of the neck and then sand it back till you can't see its a decal (maybe).

What I'll try next time - keep the decal cutout shape simple (I tried to cut out any blank space i.e., around words, etc, but it just made it harder to handle - the two ends seemed to want to go in different directions).

What worked - printed off lots of copies of everything - on one sheet I got 22 logos and 3 copies of 20 serial numbers - so if I stuff one up, there's a couple of spares.

Made the logo using a font from Cooltext.com just using paint so that I could arrange the words how I wanted them and put a hand drawn line between the words and text to give it the same feel as the text. I then imported the logo into Word and copied it over and over again. Same deal with the serial numbers.
Then printed test print to make sure everything was the right size, etc, etc...
Then printed the real thing...
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/gh3tm-WP_20130701_004.jpg

Gavin1393
02-07-2013, 01:30 PM
I'd be sanding the cracked parts right back to the wood. Assessnthe damage properly and get some good quality titebond into those cracks and glued up properly.That way you can continue with your build knowing th body is sound again. The wudtone will cover the blemishes if yo do it properly.

dingobass
02-07-2013, 01:37 PM
Nice spelling there Gav! :P

Apart from that, sound advice.
I sent the new deep colour coat out to you today Brendan, so I would be inclined to sand the whole body back and start again.....
Bummer, I know but it will give the best results.

Brendan
02-07-2013, 02:31 PM
Yep, thought so... Will sand, sand, then sand again... I'll have another look at the cracks... Hopefully (fingers crossed) it's only a crack in the Wudtone, not the wood...

Brendan
03-07-2013, 10:22 AM
Off to sand, sand, sand...

BTW - new project turned up in the mail today - my very own RC-1!

Need a name - was thinking one of the following:

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ (after the singer);

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byQIPdHMpjc (following my P-Bass nosedive) or

3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU1VfYYKMDk (I know it should be an SG, but...).

What do you think 1,2 or 3?

Brendan
03-07-2013, 12:50 PM
Bass almost back to nude now - had to resort to 80 grit as the Wudtone was HARD. Very impressed with the hardness of the Wudtone. Resolved that there is a tiny crack in the body that I can open a hair's breadth. I have some StewMac #2 superglue - was wondering if I used it now in the crack then gave myself all the grits up from 80 to clear any seepage away from the crack? Its not at all conspicuous, being between the back and the control cavity, but would be good to resolve it before it's too late.

dingobass
03-07-2013, 02:31 PM
In this case I would not use Superglue. It would be better to use Titebond or...choke... PVA...yes, I said PVA...gasp... off to re education tomorrow...

Superglue may repell Wudtone, not entirely sure of this but that is what my gut instinct tells me.

Brendan
03-07-2013, 02:38 PM
No worries - off to Carbatec tomorrow!

glenno3228
04-07-2013, 07:56 AM
Hi Brendan,

You'll love the Ric, it was my first attempt at pit bulls. Re the what to call your new project, in light of your naming convention, may I propose option 4?

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=MrV0VSAjEak&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DMrV0VSAjEak

;) ;) ;)

Cheers
Glenn

Brendan
04-07-2013, 09:33 AM
OOOhhh - tempting - my 3 year old would love the idea.

Given my plan is for something black, maybe Kate which is short for Bob?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EnddhETKc4

glenno3228
04-07-2013, 09:38 AM
Only if you write a song called wooble and play it whilst wearing your undies on your head with a pencil up each nostril. ;)

Brendan
04-07-2013, 09:54 AM
An ode to green perhaps?

glenno3228
04-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Putty?

Brendan
04-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Maybe this?
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/ctr01-FullySickenbacker.png

Brendan
04-07-2013, 01:07 PM
Back to the issue at hand. Latest photo - Titebond applied to the crack - hard to get it into the crack as it was at best a hairline one - but opened it a couple of times with excess glue on the crack and worked it in as best possible - will test it tomorrow.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/t5aqf-WP_20130703_001.jpg

Brendan
05-07-2013, 02:08 PM
Crack hasn't improved - obviously I didn't get enough glue into the crack - the Titebond is quite thick and the crack is a hairline one even when pulled apart. Was thinking the next option is a small dowel to go across the crack from the cavity into the heel of the guitar. The crack seems to run largely with the grain of the wood, so I think its do able. That said it will stop the wood from separating - doesn't fix the problem.

Any ideas?

glenno3228
05-07-2013, 10:05 PM
Bummer. If it were me I'd consider these options:

1) Wait for Gav or DB to come up with yet another pearl of wisdom
2) consider getting a very small syringe and very thin good quality super glue if there is enough room to get said small syringe into the crack. If the crack is too small for this,maybe drill a couple of tiny holes into the wider parts of the crack to open up it up a little more and get the glue in this way. Take care not to glue the syringe into the crack as this can create its own problems and when your guitar meets other guitars they'll be judging it and it will never truly fit in.
3) refer to option 1). ;)

Cheers
Glenno
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/e79b6-image.jpg

dingobass
05-07-2013, 10:24 PM
I think your dowel idea is the way to go, especially if you can go in from the cavity.
It will only need to be a 5mm dowel.

Drill it, squirt a generous amount of titebond in the hole and drive the dowel in.

Brendan
05-07-2013, 11:20 PM
Thanks Glenno, no panic involved ... yet. Will go with option 1. Off to the "B" shop today for some thin dowel. Thanks for the support DB.

WeirdBits
05-07-2013, 11:39 PM
You could also try thinning the Titebond a bit and see if that helps it to penetrate the crack. According to the Titebond FAQ (http://www.titebond.com/frequently_asked_questions.aspx) their water-based glues can be thinned by water up to 5% by weight/volume without affecting bond strength. Maybe that combined with a syringe and dowel would enable the most complete and robust fix.

Brendan
08-07-2013, 11:47 AM
Underway again :D
The multi talented DB has come in and saved the day (again) - the Deep Bass has arrived and following DB's advice, when I was tired of sanding, I got someone else to sand for me (pic 1).
Then tonight - first coat of Deep Bass...
Gut feeling - colour is better in this application than my first previously - maybe the lower temperature has helped (no idea how Wudtone will go in Perth's summer...). Anyway, all's right in the world - at least for tonight.. :) Looking forward to the next coat in a couple of days.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/qkh87-WP_20130707_002.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/71pt7-WP_20130707_003.jpg

Gavin1393
08-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Hey Brendan! Sorry mate, i seemed to have missed much of the last few days of your building dilemma, but it seems DB and others have pointed you in the right direction. To stop the wood splitting further on down the line the small 5mm dowel will certainly do the trick and possibly serve as a constant reminded never to drop a guitar again....until the next time it happens!
Perhaps you should leave the building to those skilled little hands in the above photo, at least they haven't dropped it yet!

Alternatively, attempt to open the crack (with a knife or similar) as much as you can without further damaging the surface of the guitar, wick some Stewmac 10 (or similar very thin super glue) to fix the wood fibres so that further cracking is prevented. This is really at the deepest level of the crack. Then use the Titebond and fill the remaining area of the crack. Remove said knife or similar and now use several clamps to clamp the crack closed. In two hours remove everything and there should be no more evidence of your accident!

Brendan
08-07-2013, 01:46 PM
No worries - thanks for the tip - in the end the dowel worked out well for me and was able to get a coat on tonight!

dingobass
08-07-2013, 02:07 PM
Great stuff Brendan!
So good to see the red beast underway again.

Brendan
08-07-2013, 02:19 PM
Must admit - its a good feeling. If anything - got a feeling it'll look better than the last...

Gavin1393
08-07-2013, 11:15 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on July 7, 2013, 23:07
So good to see the red beast underway again.

Juliar is entering politics again!!!! Oh! Oops, you mean't Brendan's Bass - My bad! :)

Brendan
08-07-2013, 11:25 PM
I thought he meant Pauline H... :)

robin
09-07-2013, 12:29 AM
Well done Brendan, given the problems you've had I think this will end up being a special bass for you.

rob

Brendan
09-07-2013, 12:51 AM
Thanks Rob - already pretty attached to it - looking forward to taking it to church one day and playing it...

Brendan
10-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Still around - slight update the P-Bass has taken another couple of coats. Nearly ready for the top coats. Organised some new pots and another cap - waiting on some new knobs (CTS shafts are thicker than the kit ones). Neck ready (gone hard with some Ax Wax) and looking very good). Still contemplating the bone nut upgrade. :)
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/ipkq5-WP_20130808_004.jpg

dingobass
10-08-2013, 03:05 PM
Nice job Brendan.
Bone for tone :)

Brendan
01-09-2013, 11:05 AM
More photos in the GOTM entry, but I'm putting this one down as done!...

Mods - CTS pots, orange drop cap, vintage wiring and a Switchcraft Jack.
Bone nut (thanks to Gav!).

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/4rfzr-P1050895.JPG

WeirdBits
01-09-2013, 02:45 PM
That's come up beautifully, Brendan. Well done.

Brendan
22-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Right - out come the magic skills as I resurrect this thread :)...

Turns out in my enthusiasm to get everything right with this build I kinda stuffed the truss rod. Over tightened it and then threaded the nut at the end so I can't do nada about it... Now I've got some wonderful frontbow...

Contacted Adam who sorted out a new neck for me at a good price. Then got an email from Ads the other day to say that it had arrived!!!

Given I'm building a VP Bass at the same time, I thought I'd give something a bash - going fretless - don't have a fretless bass, so it'll be an education... For this one I'll go with DB's plastic flower pot labels as they should match the pickguard.

While I'm there, I also replace the boring placky dots with some Paua shell...

Note the safety footwear - sorry...

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/4t27c-WP_20131221_004.jpg

Brendan
24-12-2013, 01:17 PM
Visits to the green and blue Bunnings today turned out fruitless in terms of plant labels - seems they've both gone for the heavy duty version, not the old school style. Anyone have a local (Perth) supplier that can supply them?

Brendan
03-01-2014, 02:45 PM
Plant labels arrived today. When all else fails, phone a friend! eBay turned up some "white" plant pot labels that when they arrived were distinctly grey, but a friend came through with a handy supply that look perfect for the job. Excited to move on to the next stage... Nut procured, frets off, inlay done, just need to shape the nut and fill the fret lines before moving on to shaping headstock and logos!

lawry
03-01-2014, 08:26 PM
Excellent news Brendan. Keen to see how it goes.

Brendan
09-01-2014, 02:06 PM
Bit more sanding and some work on the VP and Ricky necks as well...

Top neck - VP - fretted and just needs a nut, some stain, logo and a fret job...
Middle - Ricky - 2x fret dots remaining and needs a nut, logo and some stain...
Bottom - replacement PB-4 neck - defretted and waiting on me visiting a mate's shed to use his fret saw to get the plastic replacement fretlines in. Also needs a reshape for the head, nut and a logo.
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/35u68-WP_20140108_006.jpg

Brendan
24-08-2014, 06:09 AM
This' away again - need to get some photos, but getting ever closer to living again as a fretless.

Brendan
01-09-2014, 12:29 PM
Finally done. Got it done a couple of days ago, but have it now singing. All intonated and done. Action nice and low and totally stoked. Finding the transition to fretless less daunting than originally expected (thought I'd be a whole lot worse), but generally am finding the notes OK.
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/x9sv4-WP_20140826_21_52_38_Pro.jpg

lunaticthighs
01-09-2014, 12:42 PM
Looks killer. Love the colour. Always wanted a fretless but have the same trepidation as you. Nice to hear the transition isn't that painful.

Brendan
01-09-2014, 01:03 PM
Surprisingly so Alan - wouldn't call myself a Jaco and it has knocked an edge off, but certainly not as much of a challenge as I expected.

gavinturner
01-09-2014, 09:29 PM
Looks awesome Brendan. This model bass is killer and your colour and finish completes it beautifully! A big want from me!

cheers,
Gav.

pablopepper
01-09-2014, 11:13 PM
Is it just me, or is a white cover on a p pickup really unusual? I can't recall ever seeing one. Looks very nice Brendan.