PDA

View Full Version : James RC-1

adam
05-05-2013, 02:26 AM
Just received these photos from James (Jimbob_Stone), who is the first customer to complete one of our RC-1 "Rickenbacker" style kits.

He's gone for a "simple" (his words) french polish, which I think looks amazing. Not bad a for his first attempt.

Hopefully he can visit this thread and tell us a bit more about the build.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/0ybnn-RC-1-2.jpg

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/RC-1-1-450x599.jpg

keloooe
05-05-2013, 02:43 AM
Wow, that looks pretty damn sexy there!!!

adam
05-05-2013, 05:18 AM
James is still having trouble logging on but he sent me this info:

"The build took 3 evenings and Anzac Day Public Holiday to complete, there are atleast 15 coats of French Polish, I should have learned how to French Polish before starting but I was far too impatient. Always make sure the lid is on the Bottle before shaking it too by the way.

The best application was with a wadded cotton cloth, the brush was too uneven for my liking perhaps it wasn't soft enough.

I followed the soldering guides as closely as possible although no expert my family has a Plumbing background so I wasn't totally unaware how to solder.

Wasn't sure whether to apply polish inside the hollow but thought I probably shouldn't.

Still have no Idea what the small triangle of Black Plastic was for and working out which were the first and second strings in the unpackaged group was difficult for a novice like me.

The Neck and Back photos will follow I just cant get them to load for some reason, alas the back is already showing signs that I use the guitar."

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/3496a-RC-1-3.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/s237z-RC-1-4.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/xo73r-rc-5.jpg

keloooe
05-05-2013, 05:29 AM
Those 15 coats of FP worked very well for him!!!
Everyone seems to get confused as to what the triangle-thing is... Have you told him it's a truss rod cover?????

adam
05-05-2013, 05:53 AM
Haha, that's hilarious. I was racking my brain trying to think what the triangular bit of plastic was for; thinking it was part of the complicated Rickenbacker pickguard assembly... of course, it's the truss rod cover... D'uh!

Well done Callum.

James, if you're reading this, the plastic triangular bit covers the truss rod opening on the headstock. Just screw it on.

phloggy
05-05-2013, 05:55 AM
That thing looks great. I might have to put one on my want list.

Gavin1393
05-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Quote from adam on May 4, 2013, 14:18

"The build took 3 evenings and Anzac Day Public Holiday to complete, there are atleast 15 coats of French Polish, I should have learned how to French Polish before starting but I was far too impatient. Always make sure the lid is on the Bottle before shaking it too by the way.

The best application was with a wadded cotton cloth, the brush was too uneven for my liking perhaps it wasn't soft enough.

Still have no Idea what the small triangle of Black Plastic was for and working out which were the first and second strings in the unpackaged group was difficult for a novice like me.

Hi James

I have had a look at the pictures of your guitar and i dont want you to take the following as criticism.

You only took three evenings and an Anzac day to finish your guitar. DB, Myself and others would nomally allow that length of time between coats. The finish also seems to look a bit rough and I wonder if you applied the Shellac too heavily or too soon between coats. French polishing should take you many many hours to get a good finish and the application is done applying very small amounts and rubbing this into the wood until it has all soaked in. This may well also be the reason why that now that you are trying to play an uncured guitar that the Shellac is rubbing off so fast.

Gav

keloooe
05-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Yea, after re-reading the post, 5 coats per day is way too fast!!!
The colour is pretty noice though, suits the Axe pretty well!

Gavin1393
05-05-2013, 10:29 AM
Quote from keloooe on May 4, 2013, 19:02
The colour is pretty noice though, suits the Axe pretty well!

That's Bug-poop for ya! ;)

stui
05-05-2013, 11:22 AM
I like the colour, but it's a pity you didn't shape the headstock. The Rick style is a pretty simple shape and doesn't take long to do, would have given that extra touch to the guitar.

adam
06-05-2013, 12:18 PM
James is still having trouble replying here. James, don't use "Quick Reply", it doesn't work unless you're using a particular version of MS Explorer. Instead, use "Reply" or "Quote".

Anyhoo, James says:

"To each his own, as I may have said never French Polished before and never put a Guitar together and I was impatient into the bargain. The instructions on the bottle say dry after 15 minutes and here in warm Brisbane it seemed to go off even quicker (you should try fibreglassing here the Solution goes solid before you know it) so the temptation was always there to keep going.

Part of the roughness might also be changing the method of Shellac application, from Cloth to Brush and back to Cloth, after all French Polishing is a whole profession in its self. Will always use Cloth from now on.

All lessons for next time.

As to the truss rod guard none of my other Guitars have one and there was no mention in the Video guides that I could see.

I Have to decide whether to drag the Jigsaw out to shape the head but at this stage I am enjoying playing it too much to have it out of action.

Its all food for thought."

glenno3228
07-05-2013, 09:17 AM
I'm obviously a fan of the Rick and share the same level of patience. I reckon if you're playing it and loving it, it's done. Maybe get the approval from what ever minsters you need to, and get another kit to apply your learnings. That's what I'm going to do and my minister for finance, war and peace, is ok for me to do this. So now it's all about what kit to order. ;)

Jimbob_Stone
09-05-2013, 09:56 AM
Quote from glenno3228 on May 6, 2013, 18:17
I'm obviously a fan of the Rick and share the same level of patience. I reckon if you're playing it and loving it, it's done. Maybe get the approval from what ever minsters you need to, and get another kit to apply your learnings. That's what I'm going to do and my minister for finance, war and peace, is ok for me to do this. So now it's all about what kit to order. ;)

Too True though I don't have to worry about any Ministers giving me approval, mine moved on years ago and they ain't worth replacing, unlike a Guitar.

When I have the money I will go for a Full Hollow Body Kit and take my time with it.

dingobass
09-05-2013, 10:05 AM
Hey Jimbob,

French Polishing is an art form... I used to finish all of my scratch builds with FP or wax.
Now I just use Wudtone!

The trick with FP is to sand lightly with 400 grit between coats to level it off, (that is when you are brushing it on)

Maybe when you have your next kit done you can re visit the RC and get it looking shmick :D

Anyhoo, have fun with the next build.

Brendan
09-05-2013, 01:24 PM
James, key thing is that you're having fun. Good luck with the next build - can understand the desire to get in and play!

dingobass
09-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Yep. Wot Brendan said! :D

Brendan
09-05-2013, 03:24 PM
Thought for the night - you don't learn much from getting something right - it's when you get something wrong and learn from the mistake (large or small) that real learning happens - so, celebrate mistakes!