PDA

View Full Version : Tuning help

petersgiles
02-05-2013, 09:19 AM
I've been noodling around with my guitar for about a month now and I've noticed that no matter how precisely I get the bottom E tuned, the G on the third fret sounds wrong (sharpish) the harmonic e on the 12th fret sounds fine and my tuner tells me its right.

Is there some tweak or poke that will get it sounding better.

Its the ES-1GT if that makes any difference.

here's a link to me playing the E and G http://snd.sc/102Ge3v

keloooe
02-05-2013, 09:26 AM
Are you also tuning to the open G?????
The intonation might be off, I'll let the Grand Wizard of Intonation-ness (?????) sort you out!

EDIT: The nut slot might be a bit too high on the G, that could be what's messing you up???

adam
02-05-2013, 09:39 AM
Petersgiles, relax, it's the nut. The nuts on our kits are a bit hit and miss I'm afraid. Part of the kit building process is to get the nut at the right height so you have good intonation up and down the neck.

Dingo Bass will tell you to go and buy a bone nut, but you can probably make do with the nut that came with the kit.

You need to remove the nut from the neck and sand/file it down a few mm until you get the right action/intonation. I can't describe exactly how to do this in just one post, but someone may be able to direct you to an appropriate tutorial... it's really something you need to dive in and try until you get the result you're after.

And, if you mess it up, no problem, you can get a replacement nut from any guitar store for a couple of bucks.

If you don;t feel like filing/sanding the existing nut, maybe you can buy a few different size (depth) nuts until you get the right one for your guitar.

Let us know how you go.

dingobass
02-05-2013, 09:40 AM
have you checked this with your tuner?

If it is indeed a tad sharp, I would hazard a guess and say the Pest is right, the action at the nut is high.

Thing is, all the other notes should logically be sharp as well...

So, re check your intonation, and maybe lower the nut slot a touch.
You can do this by using an old E string as a nut file!... ( DB trick number 746) :D

Gavin1393
02-05-2013, 09:44 AM
The nut is too high at the e string or it may 'slope' incorrectly. Here are some resources that may help.

Setting Nut action

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/GenSetup/NutAction/nutaction.html

Setting intonation

http://pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=186

Petergiles, check the thread on the above link. This should sort out your issue...

petersgiles
02-05-2013, 09:46 AM
Quote from adam on May 1, 2013, 18:39
Petersgiles, relax, it's the nut. The nuts on our kits are a bit hit and miss I'm afraid. Part of the kit building process is to get the nut at the right height so you have good intonation up and down the neck.

Dingo Bass will tell you to go and buy a bone nut, but you can probably make do with the nut that came with the kit.

You need to remove the nut from the neck and sand/file it down a few mm until you get the right action/intonation. I can't describe exactly how to do this in just one post, but someone may be able to direct you to an appropriate tutorial... it's really something you need to dive in and try until you get the result you're after.

And, if you mess it up, no problem, you can get a replacement nut from any guitar store for a couple of bucks.

If you don;t feel like filing/sanding the existing nut, maybe you can buy a few different size (depth) nuts until you get the right one for your guitar.

Let us know how you go.

editing my original post with a recording of the problem notes http://snd.sc/102Ge3v

yes some of the other notes are off too.

would love it if someone could find a tute (youtube) on tweaking the nut

dingobass
02-05-2013, 09:52 AM
Hey Mate, it is really very simple.

Loosen off the offending string and slip it to one side.

Grab an old string and hang onto it like a piece of dental floss.

Attack the nut slot with this and you will find that it will cut it quite easily.

Give it a couple of strokes, re tune and test. Repeat until you have it right!

adam
02-05-2013, 10:03 AM
If it's just one string that's out, then do what Dingo Bass says and take some meat out of the individual string channel (on the nut). If its all the strings, then you need to lower the nut. I found this video, after a very quick search, which seems to cover the basics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLvqT3JPMnk

petersgiles
02-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Quote from dingobass on May 1, 2013, 18:52
Hey Mate, it is really very simple.

Loosen off the offending string and slip it to one side.

Grab an old string and hang onto it like a piece of dental floss.

Attack the nut slot with this and you will find that it will cut it quite easily.

Give it a couple of strokes, re tune and test. Repeat until you have it right!

Thanks

I'll try that but after reading this http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/GenSetup/NutAction/nutaction.html it looks like the whole thing is too high.
When I set it up initially I had to raise the bridge pretty high to get rid of rattles. I'm beginning to think that may related to this nut issue too.

petersgiles
02-05-2013, 10:34 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on May 1, 2013, 18:44
The nut is too high at the e string or it may 'slope' incorrectly. Here are some resources that may help.

Setting Nut action

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/GenSetup/NutAction/nutaction.html

Setting intonation

http://pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=186

Petergiles, check the thread on the above link. This should sort out your issue...

Here are some pictures (excuse my learner stickers)
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/dh26d-2013-05-01-21.30.15.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/m4lj5-2013-05-01-21.29.30.jpg

dingobass
02-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Yep,
if it is the whole nut then rip it out!
Clean away any glue residue from the nut slot with a small file.

The easiest way to lower the nut is to glue a piece of 80 grit sand paper to a thick piece of glass or a chunk of steel.
Then you just rub the base of the nut on this, again just a few strokes at a time and keep checking the bridge height set up and intonation as this will change.

DB trick number 873, an American Half Dollar coin is just about the right thickness to use as an under string height gauge at the nut end. (Place it on the finger board) 8-)

Gavin1393
02-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Quote from dingobass on May 1, 2013, 19:39
Yep,

The easiest way to lower the nut is to glue a piece of 80 grit sand paper to a thick piece of glass or a chunk of steel.
Then you just rub the base of the nut on this, again just a few strokes at a time and keep checking the bridge height set up and intonation as this will change.

DB trick number 873, an American Half Dollar coin is just about the right thickness to use as an under string height gauge at the nut end. (Place it on the finger board) 8-)

Gavin1393
02-05-2013, 11:02 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on May 1, 2013, 19:59

Quote from dingobass on May 1, 2013, 19:39
Yep,

What's this in Aussie dollars???

dingobass
02-05-2013, 11:12 AM
About $1.02.....

The measurement is 2.17mm / .085" :P

Gavin1393
02-05-2013, 12:55 PM
Ok, so the American dollar is on its way to worthlessness so lets try the Aussie 5c........1.30mm
10c.......1.85mm
20c.....2.21mm
50c .....2.52mm
$1.........2.62mm
$2..........2.73mm

Gavin1393
02-05-2013, 01:01 PM
So there you have it, since DB has helped all the Americans to sort out their nut problems it leaves me to help out the Australians including DB.

So follow DB's recommendations on the measurement but use an Aussie 20c peice (equivalent of an american half dollar).

Brendan
02-05-2013, 01:05 PM
DB what should a bass be at the base of the fretboard? My acoustic is so far out of whack that I've already had a go at sanding down the bridge and still feel I need to take another couple of mil off to get the action down to something usable - keeping it high for now as at least it's developing finger strength...
:D

Gavin1393
02-05-2013, 01:17 PM
Brendan, regarding your acoustic, has the soundboard bellied? Because if it has it is that that needs to be fixed and sanding down the bridge will simply weaken it and the walls of the bridge will snap off under the pull of the strings on the saddle.

Brendan
02-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Soundboard looks OK - I think I need to loosen off the truss rod a little. I think there's a little bow at the nut end of it. Other thing is not to buy cheap next time - it's > 10 years old and was picked up to be a backup bass. Until now I haven't really looked too hard at it, but with this interest in how to set up a guitar properly I'm starting to get the idea that I need to do a bit of work on it (including some new strings for the first time in its life - everything needs a birthday some time).

Brendan
02-05-2013, 02:32 PM
Sorry Gav - also a touch tired here - meant that I took a few (maybe 1.25 - 1.5) mm off the bottom of the saddle - figured at worst I'd need a new one. Bridge not touched. Saddle's also only plastic so a couple of passes on 80 grit and it's a bit better.

petersgiles
04-05-2013, 01:08 AM
Quote from adam on May 1, 2013, 18:39

Let us know how you go.

After a few tries at it I took, at a guess, about 2mm of the bottom of the whole nut. I adjusted the bridge all the way down as well. The G is in tune now but now I have a few rattles..

I guess I should let things settle before I worry too much about that or perhaps the answer to rattles is effects pedals :D

It is much easier to play now too.

Thanks for the advice

dingobass
04-05-2013, 04:21 AM
The rattles would indicate a few frets that are a touch high.

Check the fretboard for straightness with a steel rule, it may be that the neck needs a bit of tuning by adjusting the truss rod.

There is a thread on fret dressing by the Gavmeister on the forum that goes into great depth on this subject and there are a few tips on home made tools to do the job by yours truly! :D

Gavin1393
04-05-2013, 04:58 AM
Yes, agree with DB. I suspect your Frets are not level across the length of the neck.

Did you simply paint the neck and then attach it as such to the guitar body or have you in fact done a fret levelling?

keloooe
04-05-2013, 05:13 AM
I'm expecting my LP to not sound as good as it should when i finish it, I should get some bone nuts and fretting tools soon!

glenno3228
06-05-2013, 11:35 PM
I had similar issues with the RC1 and once I shaved the nut down by about 1.5mm the first fret notes are pretty good. This did cause some buzzing but with a tweak of the truss rod and a slight raising of the bridge its all set.

I may have been lucky with the neck overall as I've had to do no fret leveling but will monitor over the next couple of months. :D

Gavin1393
07-05-2013, 02:00 AM
You can get away without levelling the frets but I'd be 100% sure that your 'action' would be a whole lot better if you did!

pedro
10-07-2013, 04:12 AM
Hi Guys, thanks for all of the above info - I have been having all sorts of tuning probs with my E 335, I have raised the bridge and the tail but I am still getting the buzz on the Low E - and it feels loose even though it is tuned correctly. If I drop the bridge then the strings touch the frets, how high should the bridge and tail be and do the individual adjustable pieces on the bridge have to be nearer the nut or further away? Cheers, Pete

Gavin1393
10-07-2013, 05:06 AM
Setting up your Intonation

When you have your guitar strung up and tuned, you need to check the curvature of the neck.
You may see on other websites that a gap of 1/64” (0.4mm) - 1/32” (0.8mm) is required…so what does that look like, especially if you don’t have an engineers rule or other measuring device?
A standard credit card is about 0.65mm and standard business card is about 0.3mm. You can probably find these two things in your wallet or purse.
Get them out and have them handy.

Pick up your guitar and hold it in the playing position.
Put a capo or small clamp on the first fret (closest to the nut) to hold the string down.
The string needs to be contacting the first metal fret.
You can also have a friend hold down the low E string.
Next, with your picking hand, hold down the low E string at the 17th fret.
As you should see, the string forms a straight edge between the first and 17th frets.

There should be a slight gap between the E string and the 9th fret.
If not, your neck has “back bow”, which we’ll address later.
Still holding the string down, use your free hand and try to slide the business card under the E string right on top of the 9th fret.
If it slides under the string without contact, try the credit card.
If the credit card slides in without contact, try the two cards together.
If this doesn’t make contact, your neck needs some work!
Ideally, the business card should clear the string, but the credit card shouldn’t.
If the credit card clears the fret and string with ease, we have some “bow”, or relief in the neck.

On most guitars, the same rule for truss rods holds true: Right is tight, left is loose.(Pit Bull Guitars have a two way truss rod)
Looking at the truss rod adjustment on top of the neck near the tuners, the right/left arrangement is from the top of the neck looking toward the body of the guitar.
If you have back bow, you need to loosen the truss rod, or turn the nut on the truss rod left.
If you have bow, you need to tighten the truss rod, or turn the nut on the truss rod to the right.

As a technique, It is a good thing to always loosen the truss rod before adjustment.
If you start cranking the truss rod down, and it is already pretty tight, you may break it, and this is something you won't be able to fix at home in an afternoon.

There are generally two types of adjusters on truss rods: A nut for Gibson style truss rods, and a hex-head screw for just about everything else.

The hex-head is type is used on Pit Bull guitars.
Make sure the hex-head driver that came with your guitar is well seated – you don’t want to strip it out, or again your have trouble on your hands.
Generally about a ¼ turn is enough to move the neck.
If you move it more than a full turn, you may have an issue.

Step Three: Check string height at the nut.

To check the height of the nut, start at the low E string, and fret it on the third fret (a “G” note).
The string should be sitting on the first fret, or just above it, close enough just to see some light through the gap between the string and the fret.
Try holding the string down on the third fret and "tap" the string above the first fret, kind of like checking the neck relief.
You should be able to press the string down just ever so slightly onto the first fret.

Try this procedure for all of the strings.
If there is a big gap, your nut needs some work.
Can you fix this? You can if you have some nut files.
You can also use a set of old strings as they will act like files.
Hold them the same way you would hold a piece of dental floss and file the slot, always angling down towards the headstock.

Alternatively, you can remove the nut by gently tapping it with a plastic faced hammer.
Then clean away the glue residue from the nut and slot with a small file.
Next, fix a piece of 180 grit sand paper to a flat surface and rub the base of the nut.
Take your time, checking the string height regularly until you have achieved the correct height.

The height at the nut is critical to a good playing guitar.
If it is too high, the string will be too low at the 12th fret, probably causing a nasty buzz and intonation problems.

Before you continue, take a look at your bridge -- we're heading there next.
If you look at both bridges pictured below, you can see that the saddles on both are arranged similarly, with an adjustable saddle for each string.

Gibson-style Bridge

This bridge has six individually-adjustable saddles which are adjusted using the screws you can see at the bottom of the bridge facing the stop tailpiece.
The screws have a slot head, requiring a flat-head screwdriver.

On some guitars these screws face the other way (usually on the older or replica models).
If you have to adjust a saddle, place a soft cloth below where you're going to insert the tip of the screwdriver. This will help you avoid gouging the top of your guitar if you slip.

Turn the screw clockwise to move the saddle back and counterclockwise to move it forward.
Make small turns because a little turn can make a lot of difference.
After every adjustment to the position of the saddle, re tune the string to pitch and compare the 12th fret note and the open string.
Repeat the operation until the string has the correct intonation, then move on to the next string.

Fender-style Bridge

Although the Fender bridge looks different, the principles of setting the intonation are exactly the same as a Gibson bridge.

You move the saddles with an adjustment screw (in this case, a Phillips head screw) until the note at the 12th fret and the open string are the same.
Note: If these saddles are in a straight line, the guitar is probably not set up properly!

Step Four: Set the approximate positions of the string saddles on the bridge.

First, determine the scale of your guitar.
Measure from the body-side of the nut to precisely over the 12th Fret.
If you double this measurement, you have the scale of your guitar.

Using the distance from the nut to the 12th fret (we’ll call this measurement “x”), measure from the 12th fret to the bridge.
Using the screws on the back of the saddle, set the individual saddles to the following specs:

Note: It is easier to make the initial adjustments with the strings loosened.
Once you set the saddles, tune the guitar back to pitch.

Low E:
1/8” or 3.2mm longer than X
A:
1/16” or 1.6mm longer than X
D:
1/32” or0.8mm longer than X
G:
1/8” or 3.2mm longer than X
B:
1/16” or 1.6mm longer than X
High E:
1/32” or 0.8mm longer than X

We get the final settings once we get our saddle height, but this will get us close.

Step Five: Set string height at saddles.

Measure at the twelfth fret and set saddles so the height between the bottom of the low E string and the top of the twelfth fret is about 1/16" or 1.6mm.
The High E should set just at 1/16” or 1.6mm, this is about two credit card widths above the 12th fret (we know you have at least two credit cards!).

The other strings should be the same height, following the radius of the fretboard.
This is easy with the Gibson bridge -- just crank it up and down, and the shape of the bridge conforms to the fingerboard in most cases.
The Fender-style bridge has more adjustment range, and it may take a little more time to set it up.

Remember – This is a starting point to get your saddles set.
Your playing style may make you either raise or lower the saddles. We’re just trying to get in the ballpark.

When you complete this, the saddles on your bridge should be somewhere in the middle of their adjustment range.
If they are sitting flush on the body, or maxed out, your neck angle needs to be adjusted.
This can be done by using shims in the neck pocket.

To make a shim, get some photocopy paper and spray it with some epoxy type paint.
Let this dry and then cut to the shape of the neck pocket.
Next, cut it in half (width ways).
If your neck needs to slope back more, place the shim at the body end of the neck pocket. If it needs to come forward, at the open end of the pocket.
Bolt the neck back on and test the angle, repeat if needed.

Step Six: Fine tune the intonation setting with a tuner.

What we are going to do here is actually adjust the length of each string. This is the only way to make sure your guitar will play in tune all the way up the neck. You’ll need an electronic tuner for this job. You’ll need some small screwdrivers --flat tip or Phillips, depending on your bridge.

Follow these steps:
1. Hold the guitar in the playing position.
2. Hook up the electronic tuner and put it in a position where you can see it clearly.
3. Tune the entire guitar. Make sure you take your time and get it as precise as possible.
4. Start with the low E string. Play the string with a pick, and make sure it is in tune. Next, fret the string at the 12th fret, play the string, and check the tuning. It should show an E in tune.
5. If the note played at the 12th Fret is in tune like the open string, the string is properly intonated. If is isn’t continue to step 6.
6. If the note played at the 12th Fret is flat (below E), take your screwdriver and move the saddle toward the pickups. If the note was sharp (Above E), move the saddle away from the pickups. The General Rule: Flat = Forward
7. Continue this process until the open string and that same string fretted at the 12th fret are in perfect tune with each other.
8. Continue this process for all strings, and keep going back and checking the settings for each one.

DanMade
10-07-2013, 05:37 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from pedro on July 9, 2013, 13:12
Hi Guys, thanks for all of the above info - I have been having all sorts of tuning probs with my E 335, I have raised the bridge and the tail but I am still getting the buzz on the Low E - and it feels loose even though it is tuned correctly. If I drop the bridge then the strings touch the frets, how high should the bridge and tail be and do the individual adjustable pieces on the bridge have to be nearer the nut or further away? Cheers, Pete

Hi Pete, the individual pieces on the bridge are the saddles. They are used to adjust the intonation of the string. Usually they will be in a stepped pattern like in the photo. But it will differ from guitar to guitar. As for the buzzing you are getting it sounds like your truss rod may need adjustment or you may have a few frets out of level. But I'll leave that to the pros here to sort that one out. I don't want to lead you down the wrong path.

The bridge and tail stock heights vary depending on the action you are after. To keep it short, if your getting fret buzz and your sure your neck and fretboard are setup properly it is probably too low.

This is where a properly levelled fret board makes a big difference, allowing you to have a lower action.

This is just from my own experience in tinkering with setups over the years. So don't take my word as gospel.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/di964-image.jpg

DanMade
10-07-2013, 05:39 AM
There you go. Gav got in there while I was writing my post. Ignore my last post.

Gavin1393
10-07-2013, 05:53 AM
Not at all DanMade,

You are spot on with your thoughts on the issue! A post to be considered for sure!

DanMade
10-07-2013, 08:02 AM
I just remembered about some YouTube video's I found a while back that have some great tips on guitar setup. The guy who does them is an Italian luthier, he has a cool Italian accent that keeps it interesting. :P

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXU3GYv5qEzuPePqXOJBgXw

pedro
12-07-2013, 12:58 AM
Thanks guys, I made the mistake of judging the bow or otherwise of the neck by eye, I guess I needed to be a little more scientific.

Pete

Gavin1393
12-07-2013, 03:48 AM
You need one of these...
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/32t73-Notched_Straightedge_sm.jpg

...or we'll put you in one of these! ;)

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/en9i9-straight-jacket.jpg

Brendan
12-07-2013, 05:04 AM
Really Gav? http://pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=179 :)

Gavin1393
12-07-2013, 06:40 AM
When the eyes don't work so good you need the help of a straight edge, otherwise you'll never see the men in white coats arriving to collect you!

DrNomis_44
13-01-2015, 02:45 AM
@petersgiles,

I seem to recall reading somewhere that when you fret a note on any string between the second and third fret, you should have about a .005inch (5 thousandths of an inch) clearance between the top of the fret and the underside of the string when you have the nut height/and, or, the string slots at the correct depth, you can check this by using a set of Automotive feeler gauges, all you have to do is select the feeler gauge marked .005 from the set of gauges, fret the strings between the second and third fret, and then see if you can slide the .005 gauge between the string and the top of the fret, the string should just touch the gauge if the clearance is correct, hope that helps.