PDA

View Full Version : JM-1 Bridge

sav242
30-04-2013, 04:41 AM
Hey everyone! Just got my first kit, the JM-1, was wondering if anyone has done this kit and has any advice, especially regarding installing the bridge and the trem system.... cheers!

wokkaboy
30-04-2013, 05:29 AM
Quote from sav242 on April 29, 2013, 13:41
Hey everyone! Just got my first kit, the JM-1, was wondering if anyone has done this kit and has any advice, especially regarding installing the bridge and the trem system.... cheers!

Hi Sav,
speak to Dingobass the resident Pitbull luthier and wudtone man, he built a JM kit,

you can reach him at dingobass@pitbullguitars.com

dingobass
30-04-2013, 07:35 AM
Quote from sav242 on April 29, 2013, 13:41

Easy done Sav!

You will notice that the pivot point holes are drilled, so locating the bridge is super easy in that respect.

first you will need to install the spring holding thingy, that's the bent piece of steel with claws on it and two hole drilled.

flip the body over and you will see the rout out for the trem system. hold the claw on the rear wall of the cut out as low as you can and mark the positions of the holes.
Now the tricky bit. You will need to drill these holes on as low of an angle as possible, otherwise the claw will sit proud of the rout out and prevent the cover plate sitting flush.

Grab the two screws, and attach the claw. Drive the screws about half way to start then whist holding your tongue in the correct position, hold the trem onto the pivot points and attach the springs.
If it is hard to stretch the springs, back the screws off until you can easily slip the eye over the claw and the hook into the small holes on the bottom of the trem block.

Adjusting the tension will come when you have finished the build and are at the tuning up stage!

keloooe
30-04-2013, 07:40 AM
DB, have you tried the StewMac Tremolo Bridge Installer-thingy???? I used a mate's one once to show me, and they are so much easier and safer than using pliers! For $5, I'm adding one to my list of stuff

dingobass
30-04-2013, 09:55 AM
Hey Pest, I made my own... all you need is a length of high tensile wire and a blow torch and a pair of pliers..... hang on.... starting to sound like something out of Pulp Fiction here....