PDA

View Full Version : Sourcing materials for a custom "Uncle Milty"

Taker185
30-04-2013, 12:02 AM
So here is the plan
I want to try and reproduce this wonderful machine.

What do you call the maltese cross on the body, I know its a metal plate, but does it have a proper name that I can use to find it on ebay or anywhere else. It's not a decal, I can't call it an ornament. I can't find anything other than vinyl stickers on the internet. All of the other attempts I have seen on the les paul forums have made it themselves but I'm hoping not to have to go that far (as my skills are not very good). And then if I do have to make it, making it sit flush against the arched top....

Second question, Vinyl stickers, because James Hetfield modified the original himself, he used vinyl striping for the strips. My question is how does the vinyl cope under a lacquered finish? I have read that it could melt and I'm a little afraid of that happening.

Once I can source a Cross and learn how to lay the vinyl I'll be sweet.

Cheers,

Adam
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/h0tty-images.jpg

pablopepper
30-04-2013, 12:24 AM
That kind of cross is called an Iron Cross. Vinyl will not hold up under lacquer. The solvents in the lacquer will attack the vinyl adhesive and cause it to shrink and curl up at the edges. Put it on top of your clear coat.

pablopepper
30-04-2013, 12:50 AM
Laying vinyl is a bit of a challenge, but I can share some methods that will make it a LOT easier.

First get a spray bottle with a mix of about 20 parts water to one part baby shampoo, this is called slip mix and it prevents the vinyl from sticking hard straight away. Get a felt squeegee from an art supply store or wherever you're getting your vinyl. Felt squeegees (see photo) are important for getting the air bubbles out without scratching the vinyl. You need to work in the cleanest environment possible, all the dust particles in the air will get under your vinyl and show up as tiny bumps and look shit.

Cut your vinyl into the strips you want beforehand. Spray the surface you want to mount to liberally with slip mix and then spray the sticky side of the vinyl as you peel the backing. Lay your strip, one at a time, and move it to the correct position, then slowly squeegee the water out working from one end to the other and it will stick permanently. The you can trim excess off the ends.

My advice would be to practice your technique a few times before you try with your guitar. It is tricky.

pablopepper
30-04-2013, 01:03 AM
Sorry, forgot pic.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/n0kxu-Photo-29-04-13-11-28-21-AM.jpg

Taker185
30-04-2013, 11:48 PM
Thanks man,
That is exactly what I needed to know.

But do you have any idea where I could get an "Iron Cross"?, I still can't find one.

pablopepper
01-05-2013, 12:29 AM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-Maltese-Iron-Cross-Stainless-Steel-3-D-Emblem-3m-Adhesive-Truck-/290843895505?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43b7a5a6d1

What about this?

Taker185
01-05-2013, 07:32 AM
That's close, I think I'll buy one to see how it looks in person. I didn't think to look under car parts, should've though, everything else he did with that guitar seems to involve motorbike decal work.

Thanks a lot man, you've been a god send