PDA

View Full Version : Shielding?

phloggy
28-04-2013, 01:05 PM
I'm *almost* at the assembly phase for my TL-1.

What's the general wisdom on shielding? Is it required, and what would you use for it? Would tin foil be a reasonable material?

WeirdBits
28-04-2013, 04:26 PM
This (http://pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=112#postid-909) may help.

phloggy
28-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Huh. I searched the forum and everything. Of course I'd had a few drinks and was spelling it "sheilding" every second time I type it, so that might not have helped.

Thanks!

dingobass
28-04-2013, 10:54 PM
Hi Phloggy,

The main purpose of shielding is to stop the hums and buzzes caused by electrical interference.

The easiest way to shield is by using copper self adhesive tape.
You can get this from www.stewmac.com they offer shielding kits which are very good as they contain enough material to shield the pup routs, control cavity and the back of pick guards.

robin
29-04-2013, 05:57 AM
Hi Phloggy,

I used the cheapest conductive adhesive copper tape from Hong Kong that I got off eBay. It worked perfectly on my ST-1 Kit.

I also used aluminium foil from a cheap BBQ tray from Woolworths on the under-side of the Scratch Plate.

Together they have made the ST as quiet as, and absolutely interference free.

Cheers
rob

Martijn
12-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Hi phloggy,

Simple aluminum foil will help. You can also buy copper foil/tape or shielding paint. Guitarnuts.com has a mod called quieting the beast which I think is a very good way to reduce hum. It worked very well with my stratocaster.

Greetz,

Martijn

dvous
16-06-2013, 11:46 AM
Don't forget to connect your cavity shield to the electrical shield in the guitar's wiring, otherwise your efforts will be in vain, no matter whether you use copper or aluminium.

dingobass
16-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Good point dvous.
The pots supplied with Pit Bull kits will give this electrical connection to the shielding. This also eliminates the need for earth jumpers connecting each of the pots... makes wiring easier :)

brett40
16-06-2013, 01:58 PM
thanks to adam and dingo now you can buy the copper tape straight from pitbull, thanks i just ordered mine