PDA

View Full Version : Nick here from Newcastle

kanobee
27-04-2013, 11:50 AM
Hi Mates, finally bit the bullet and ordered me an awesome SV-1 yesterday :D

Brendan
27-04-2013, 12:00 PM
G'day Nick - looks like a whole lot of fun will be winging its way to you soon! Love the neck and it sounds pretty impressive in Adam's hands!

Any idea on colour?

kanobee
27-04-2013, 12:16 PM
Can hardly wait for it man :) I haven't decided on the color yet, I may go the wudtone route if the kit has some nice grain.

dingobass
27-04-2013, 01:25 PM
Quote from kanobee on April 26, 2013, 21:16
Can hardly wait for it man :) I haven't decided on the color yet, I may go the wudtone route if the kit has some nice grain.

Hey Nick, welcome to the Pit Bull family! :D

The thing with Basswood is it may look like there is not a whole lot of figure when you first see it, but as soon as you apply the first coat of Wudtone the figure just leaps out at you!

The most amazing thing about Wudtone is the preservation of tone, you just don't get that with paint.

Don't forget to share your build with us in the my build section, and if you have any questions or ever need help with your build the forum is here to help you!

My advice to all new builders is to take your time, a slow build is a good build.
When you get your kit, do a mock up build so you can get an idea of where everything goes and get a general feel for the process.
This may well save you some problems further down the build track.

Happy building!

Brendan
27-04-2013, 01:50 PM
Nick, looking through other's build diaries, the basswood seems to have a nice grain coming through, especially with strong base colours. April's winning guitar of the month was Glenn's basswood TL-1 with Wudtone and it looks pretty special - it won out of a group of fantastic guitars (personally love Gav's TL1-TB - again basswood body).

DB - noticed your comment from the April GOTM thread - not into 6 string basses?

keloooe
27-04-2013, 10:40 PM
Hey Nick, welcome to the forums!!! Yep, the basswood does produce a very nice grain pattern when applied with Wudtone!

dingobass
27-04-2013, 11:29 PM
Hey Brendan,

Six string Bass = Baritone Guitar :P

There are many talented Bass soloists that have mastered the multiple string set up, and good on them!

However, there are Bassists like Jaco Pastorius, Victor Wooten and Billy Sheehan who make full use of four strings in a mind blowing way..... So why would a serious Bassist need any more than four?

keloooe
28-04-2013, 12:51 AM
I played a 6 string bass once... Not as fun as a 4 string!!!!

Brendan
28-04-2013, 04:51 AM
True they are masters - though the low B is a nice option.

GlennGP
28-04-2013, 07:43 AM
Quote from Brendan on April 26, 2013, 22:50
... April's winning guitar of the month was Glenn's basswood TL-1 with Wudtone and it looks pretty special - it won out of a group of fantastic guitars (personally love Gav's TL1-TB - again basswood body).

Kind of you to say so, Brendan. :)

The basswood is a bit of a lottery, and some people don't like the mineral (grey or greenish) grain that it can carry. Me, I don't mind. As a tonewood it's not at the top of the pile, but it's no slouch. And you can get lucky with some beautiful figuring. If you're unsure, take a look when you get the kit and then make a decision. You'll wait at most a week between decision time and body-finishing, and that's time you'll need for ... sanding!

keloooe
28-04-2013, 08:01 AM
I actually like the grey / green grain features of basswood, looks noice!

phloggy
28-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Some of the examples I've seen are stunning. In my case, not so much. My body was pretty featureless, which was OK because I'd decided on paint a while ago. If the rest of the body was as figured as the bottom piece as mine I might have changed my mind, but it wasn't, so full steam ahead.

I fully intend to do another build after this one, probably a PRS-S1 with a spalted top, in which case you can bet I'll be going down the Wudtone path.

kanobee
28-04-2013, 12:40 PM
Hi DB

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to getting the kit (hopefully by next week). I've had my eye on this kit for a few months and I was just waiting for when you guys had it in stock again. I'll take my time building it and will post pictures of the build progress.

kanobee
28-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Quote from GlennGP on April 27, 2013, 16:43

Quote from Brendan on April 26, 2013, 22:50
... April's winning guitar of the month was Glenn's basswood TL-1 with Wudtone and it looks pretty special - it won out of a group of fantastic guitars (personally love Gav's TL1-TB - again basswood body).

Kind of you to say so, Brendan. :)

The basswood is a bit of a lottery, and some people don't like the mineral (grey or greenish) grain that it can carry. Me, I don't mind. As a tonewood it's not at the top of the pile, but it's no slouch. And you can get lucky with some beautiful figuring. If you're unsure, take a look when you get the kit and then make a decision. You'll wait at most a week between decision time and body-finishing, and that's time you'll need for ... sanding!

Thanks Glenn, and may I say that is one SWEET Tele!! Awesome job 'mate :) I'm anxiously waiting for the kit so when it arrives I'll make the decision to paint or wudtone.