PDA

View Full Version : Damos JM-1

Damo
27-04-2013, 09:24 AM
Hi Damo here,
Got the JM-1 today, so excited to get this project underway. The first time I have ever done anything like this and can't wait to play this baby when finished.

I was thinking of painting it the greeny blue colour like on this web site anyone got any ideas of colours? something that will match the red pickgaurd.
Also does anyone know where to get upgraded parts, the pickgaurd will be hard to change I'm thinking, but maybe the bridge, tuners etc.
Any advise will be really appreciated

Anyway I'm sure ill have heaps more questions later

Thanks Damo 8-)

AJ
27-04-2013, 09:33 AM
Quote from Damo on April 26, 2013, 18:24
Hi Damo here,
Got the JM-1 today, so excited to get this project underway. The first time I have ever done anything like this and can't wait to play this baby when finished.

I was thinking of painting it the greeny blue colour like on this web site anyone got any ideas of colours? something that will match the red pickgaurd.
Also does anyone know where to get upgraded parts, the pickgaurd will be hard to change I'm thinking, but maybe the bridge, tuners etc.
Any advise will be really appreciated

Anyway I'm sure ill have heaps more questions later

Thanks Damo 8-)

Hi Damo, the world is only a small as you imagination for colors, what appeals to you is the way to go :)
Why not give the kit parts a go first up before changing out anything, you may be happy with it as it is.

keloooe
27-04-2013, 09:41 AM
Hi Damo, welcome to the forums!!! Normally I would rant on about Wudtone and other stuff, but I'll hold off and let the others tell you about Wudtone!!!

Best place to upgrade the components would be StewMac (www.stewmac.com), they have a massive range, their delivery time is fast, and the quality of their products is truly amazing!

About the finish, Dingobass should give you some info on Wudtone and give you his email so if there is a colour that your looking for that isn't in the range, you can chat with him and organize a custom colour!!!

One last thing, set up a Build Diary in the appropriate sub-forum and do a mock-build (position the bits in their places to see if everything fits!), so we can all follow you in your build!
That's all from me for now, gotta watch the footy!

Cheers,
Pest

adam
27-04-2013, 09:55 AM
Hi Damo,

I've moved your topic to the "My Build Diary" section so future JM-1 builders can have the benefit of your build.

I know I've emailed you about your issue with scale measurements, but if you want to ask that same question here, I'm sure you'll get more helpful responses.

As for colours, you can't go past the blue/green which contrasts perfectly against the red pickguard. I think Dingo bass used the T-Bird Wudtone finish. Or... WHITE!

As for upgrades, can I suggest you set up the guitar with the hardware that comes with it, which is good quality for the price, then, as you play the guitar in, decide which parts you want to upgrade. Pro quality machine heads, pick-ups, bridge, etc are all worth the investment, but wait until you have a feel for the guitar before you splurge on the pricey stuff.

Gavin1393
27-04-2013, 11:01 AM
I will echo AJ and Adam on this. Unless you have a particular pickup you like to use on your electric then stick with what comes in the kit. You may be very surprised at the quality of them given what you have paid for the kit.
The pickups seem to be around the 10k resistance mark for humbuckers which means that they have been wound appropriately. That, is - no shortcuts taken with the number of winds.
If however, you plan on Coil Splitting the humbucker or similar (which you can do yourself) you could acquire a 4 conductor wire pickup from the likes of StewMac or Realtone Music (www.guitarparts.co.nz). Callum loves SM to bits but it is worth comparing prices as they are not always the best value for money. However, in saying that SM service is second to no-one!

Looking forward to hearing your question on scale...

Brendan
27-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Welcome Damo,
Having never built a kit (waiting on my first), I'm probably not the one to speak here but... - if you feel the colour of the pickguard is limiting your options, it may not be too hard to change out (especially if you have the right gear).
Pickguards are available online (eBay) for a range of guitars, though may need some work depending on how exact the design is to the original guitar.
I think there's a thread on getting a custom pickguard made (just need the design) and
If all else fails, pickguard material can be purchased online. One of the gurus here may shoot me down, but - if it's not that hard, it opens up a huge range of colour combination options. What you will find is that people here are pretty keen on oils and stains for the wood as opposed to paints for tone reasons - I'm with them, but largely from aesthetic reasons - I like the look of a wood guitar.
Excited to see how it progresses.

sav242
03-05-2013, 04:22 AM
Hey mate, good to see someone else went with a JM-1, i just got mine a few days ago and have started on the paintjob (I'm a total newbie btw). I'm going with the wudtone thunderbird with a satin finish, and aged yellow stain for the neck. Anyway's I'll chuck up some photos so maybe you can learn from my inevitable mistakes... Best of luck!

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/o49f6-IMG_1106.JPG
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/676tk-IMG_1101.jpg