PDA

View Full Version : Another Melbournite

phloggy
18-04-2013, 02:08 AM
Hi All,

Another Melbournite checking in.

I've been lurking for a while and following everyone's build threads, but my birthday has finally come around and my wife got me a TL-1 kit.

Still in the planning stages, but come the weekend I'll be out in the shed sanding!

Phlog.

wokkaboy
18-04-2013, 02:15 AM
Quote from phloggy on April 17, 2013, 11:08
Hi All,

I've been lurking for a while and following everyone's build threads, but my birthday has finally come around and my wife got me a TL-1 kit.

Still in the planning stages, but come the weekend I'll be out in the shed sanding!

Phlog.

welcome to the community Phlog,

you have probably read about Callum from Melbourne username keloooe aka the Pest, he will be stoked and expect a warm welcome from him later today

best of luck with your TL-1 kit, hope you got some wudtone to finish it with after sanding ?

GlennGP
18-04-2013, 02:42 AM
Yep, welcome to the forum! (Wokka, well done for getting in ahead of Callum!)

I'm pretty sure there are a fair few lurkers who are building around Victoria but not posting here. In any case, there's plenty of advice if you search for it, and if you still can't find the answer you need, just ask. Thankfully the forum is jerk-free - genuine answers are given cheerfully.

We're all here to build something to be proud of, to say "I made this". Nobody wants you to fail! Most importantly, though - have fun!

phloggy
18-04-2013, 02:58 AM
Quote from wokkaboy on April 17, 2013, 11:15

best of luck with your TL-1 kit, hope you got some wudtone to finish it with after sanding ?

Nah, not going the Wudtone route with this one. I'm in the camp that thinks the finish of an electric guitar has a minor effect on the tone at best, and there's a specific look I'm going to try for. (It's nothing fancy, just a solid colour.) Also the grain on the body isn't so spectacular that it'll be a crime if I cover it up, which kind of just reinforced my choice.

We'll see how we go next time 'round though. There are still guitars that I want that I can't afford!

Gavin1393
18-04-2013, 04:13 AM
Quote from phloggy on April 17, 2013, 11:58
Nah, not going the Wudtone route with this one. I'm in the camp that thinks the finish of an electric guitar has a minor effect on the tone at best, and there's a specific look I'm going to try for. (It's nothing fancy, just a solid colour.) Also the grain on the body isn't so spectacular that it'll be a crime if I cover it up, which kind of just reinforced my choice.

We'll see how we go next time 'round though. There are still guitars that I want that I can't afford!

When all commonly used finishes dull the tone it doesn't matter which finish you use......

When you find a finish that doesn't dull the tone, that's called progress! ;)

We'll make a believer of you yet! My 15 Wudtone Electrics / Acoustics and Ukelele's have convinced me!

Welcome to the forum Phloggy - We hope to welcome you to the Wudtone converts soon too! :)

dingobass
18-04-2013, 04:25 AM
3.30pm and still no Pest?

Anyhoo, welcome to the forum Phloggy, as Glenn said, there is all the jerk free help you could ask for here so don't hesitate to ask if you need too.

keloooe
18-04-2013, 04:29 AM
Hey phloggy, welcome to the forums!!! As mentioned earlier, my nickname is Pest (should become obvious soon), and I'm also from good old Melbs!!!
As Gavin mentioned, anything that dulls the tone isn't the best for a guitar, Wudtone looks great and sounds even better, plus there's not as much mess as because there is no spraying involved!!! Keep the tele away from Adam though, he might catch a flight here and steal it, get a personal bodyguard if ya have to!!!

Anyways, take the build slow (sand, sand, sand again, and when you think you are done sanding, SAND AGAIN!!!), set up a build diary to document the build, and ask any questions you have here on the forums!

Cheers,
Callum (Pest)

wokkaboy
18-04-2013, 04:35 AM
Quote from keloooe on April 17, 2013, 13:29
Hey phloggy, welcome to the forums!!! As mentioned earlier, my nickname is Pest (should become obvious soon), and I'm also from good old Melbs!!!
As Gavin mentioned, anything that dulls the tone isn't the best for a guitar, Wudtone looks great and sounds even better, plus there's not as much mess as because there is no spraying involved!!! Keep the tele away from Adam though, he might catch a flight here and steal it, get a personal bodyguard if ya have to!!!

Anyways, take the build slow (sand, sand, sand again, and when you think you are done sanding, SAND AGAIN!!!), set up a build diary to document the build, and ask any questions you have here on the forums!

Cheers,
Callum (Pest)

Pest you will have to lift your game as the official forum welcoming committee !

Phloggy use whatever finish you want, but ask anyone on this forum think we are all wudtone fans/converts. Maybe next axe we will convince you to try it out. Mess free with orsome finish and sound.

Anyway look forward to seeing the build diary and ask for help there's enough people on the forum to help. We are one big nationwide family. Not sure if we have any Kiwi builders yet ?

cheers Wokka

keloooe
18-04-2013, 05:06 AM
Don't blame me for being in school!!!
Yea, we are a nationwide family, mum and dad should adopt a kiwi!!!!

wokkaboy
18-04-2013, 05:13 AM
Quote from keloooe on April 17, 2013, 14:06
Don't blame me for being in school!!!
Yea, we are a nationwide family, mum and dad should adopt a kiwi!!!!

haha all good pest was just winding you up bro, I'm on standby as the backup welcoming committee as I sit in front of a PC 9 hours a day - lucky me. Would much rather be in front of a workbench for 9 hours a day !
Maybe the community Pit Bull guitar can be the shape of a sheep to entice the Kiwi builders !

keloooe
18-04-2013, 05:33 AM
Stratosheeper eh????
PS. look around here, SURPRISE!!!

wokkaboy
18-04-2013, 05:38 AM
Quote from keloooe on April 17, 2013, 14:33
Stratosheeper eh????
PS. look around here, SURPRISE!!!
ah the famous LP photo has gone and we can see the Pest's long locks - nice one bro !

we better drop the Kiwi jokes before we get in trouble bro !

AJ
18-04-2013, 07:27 AM
Quote from phloggy on April 17, 2013, 11:08
Hi All,

Phlog.

Hi there and welcome.. I'm a newbie also.
Maybe we should get pitbull's to migrate over here to Melbourne ...lol ;)

keloooe
18-04-2013, 07:54 AM
Yea, would make everything easier for us!!!

dingobass
18-04-2013, 08:30 AM
Sorry guys, but West is Best, 'cause it is just far enough away from the Pest.... nah, just kidding Pest, you are still our favourite pest :P 8-)

keloooe
18-04-2013, 08:33 AM
We have the tallest building in our hemisphere, we have tons of festivals, we have the AFL GF, we have the Grand Prix, we have a guitar factory that produces over 8000 Axes p.a. (How many does Perry's???), put your statements forward Westerns!

Of course I'm the best Pest!!!

dingobass
18-04-2013, 08:41 AM
We have got Pit Bull Guitars.... Top that, Pest :D

keloooe
18-04-2013, 08:57 AM
We have Andy Allen, the guy who runs the Maton Custom Shop

We should start a debate about this!

EDIT: We have a Pest, top that DB!

dingobass
18-04-2013, 10:42 AM
I got nuthin..... other than we have better beaches than Melbs, and it doesn’t rain all the time :P

phloggy
18-04-2013, 11:15 AM
I seem to have restarted the State wars! Yay!

Gavin1393
18-04-2013, 01:00 PM
We've got DB in WA - nothing can top that!!!!!