PDA

View Full Version : Placing string retainers

Taker185
15-04-2013, 02:12 AM
Hi guys,

While going through the parts in my kit... ... ... (should admit at the outset that it's a guitarfetish kit, that I ordered before I found pbg) ... I found I have a couple of string retainers to place n the headstock. Are there any set rules I should follow when I'm installing them, as in how far should they be from the nut and tuning peg? And also whether they are all that important on a tele?

All advice welcome.

Cheers,
Ads

keloooe
15-04-2013, 02:21 AM
String retainers are installed in Tele's and Strats (normally) because they eliminate the "sitar effect" where the strings go all buzzy, depends on a number of variables, normally the E/B retainer is further away from the nut I think

Taker185
15-04-2013, 02:56 AM
Thanks man. But lo and behold, guess who found the video on it... Fool am I

adam
15-04-2013, 03:01 AM
Hey taker, I did a video on String Retainers, which I think is still pretty useful (I did these vids a long time ago, so we're replacing them now we have much more knowledge (and we have Dingo Bass on board).

Here's link:

http://youtu.be/LEC4RC-W6LY

The string guide/retainer starts at 7:50.

You will only see string guides on 6 in line machine head guitars (most Fenders). They go on the top E and B and D and G, with the D and G retainer closer to the nut than the E and B retainer.

brianp32
15-04-2013, 08:18 AM
Or you could try staggered locking tuners and eliminate the need for retainers at all. ;)

Taker185
17-04-2013, 09:51 PM
Haha well this is my first "build"... As well as my first time trying woodwork! Maybe next time :)