PDA

View Full Version : Pit Bull Guitars Catalogue Survey

adam
14-04-2013, 02:22 PM
As I've mentioned, we are having difficulty sustaining our vast catalogue of guitar kits. I believe we have the largest range in the world, but not the market size to maintain it. So, some ruthless trimming is required.

Just to be clear, we're not discontinuing any models and we will continue to release new models as they're available.

What we'd like is a list of 20 kits that you (the Community) would like to have available in stock at all times. Perhaps think of it as, "if this was my business, I would make sure I always had stock of...".

All the remaining kits that don;t make it to the "Top 20" will be in stock at different times and, if out of stock, available on special order.

The attached survey is on Google Drive and should be accessible to anyone from the following link:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1KEbY_JcbPE0JpbP8eRxS-2RsW8T339NKATz2CbaNmZU/viewform

It's pretty straightforward, just "check" against those kits you want to see in our Top 20.

Bass Guy
14-04-2013, 03:11 PM
Done mine!

WeirdBits
14-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Done... but where's the survey for the kits we want to see added? ;)

Perhaps a new thread/survey where we list our 'Top 2' kits we'd like to see added to the catalogue (such as a Mahogany SG or a, possibly too impractical, neck-thru body kit).

It will be interesting to see what the final 20 looks like once the catalogue reduction survey is complete, as it should give us a reasonable snapshot of the community's current tastes.

GlennGP
14-04-2013, 10:05 PM
Done!

adam
14-04-2013, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the responses so far everyone, that has been very informative, even with only 6 reponses. A couple of surprises too. I thought there was some love for the Mockingbird, but, alas, no one had that in their Top 20. Interestingly, most of the "Metal" style guitars polled poorly.

We'll keep this up for a few weeks and see what we end up with. I'll share the results too.

adam
14-04-2013, 11:09 PM
Quote from WeirdBits on April 14, 2013, 01:00
Done... but where's the survey for the kits we want to see added? ;)

WeirdBits, if you think there's a gap in our catalogue, please just let us know what you think is missing. If you really want one, I can get a few in to see how they go.

When we trim the stock catalogue back to a manageable level, we should have more capacity to order some more "wish list" models.

Gavin1393
14-04-2013, 11:31 PM
Done, just hope that those filling in the survey immediately know what the guitars look like...

MikeL
15-04-2013, 01:06 AM
That's why I haven't done it yet, I don't know what half of them look like and looking all of them up is just 'too hard basket', plus i'm into the heavy rock style so don't like the classics like the LP's and tele's so that makes me just wrong for this survey :)

stui
15-04-2013, 02:16 AM
Done

keloooe
15-04-2013, 02:18 AM
Well, I know how most guitar bodies feel and play from a shelf, so I have a general idea on what I want, my choices are submitted now Adam!

Gavin1393
15-04-2013, 04:00 AM
Quote from keloooe on April 14, 2013, 11:18
Well, I know how most guitar bodies feel and play from a shelf, so I have a general idea on what I want, my choices are submitted now Adam!

How did you manage to complete the list since Maton wasn't on it?

keloooe
15-04-2013, 04:33 AM
Haha, good one there Gav!!!

brianp32
15-04-2013, 04:37 AM
Just cast my vote. :D

robin
15-04-2013, 09:49 AM
My votes in.

Geez I feel old. My wish list is mostly for all the "old school" guitars that I have never been able to afford.

rob

wokkaboy
16-04-2013, 04:08 AM
Adam,
I just voted
that was hard to narrow it down to 20 axes but thats cool the other models will be available time to time.
look forward to hearing what the top 20 axes will be once voting is closed

cheers Wokka

Gavin1393
16-04-2013, 04:45 AM
Hey Wokka, you me and Phil will have to put in special orders soon as we will have built everything! :)

wokkaboy
16-04-2013, 05:00 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on April 15, 2013, 13:45
Hey Wokka, you me and Phil will have to put in special orders soon as we will have built everything! :)

haha yer Gav I am fast running out of room in the blue room and hanging space for all the current builds. If we end up building all the 20 kits available we'll build a bass or 2 !

adam
16-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Thanks to everyone who took our Catalogue Survey. We got 16 responses, which is a small sample, but enough to show some obvious trends.

There were some predictable results; the ST-1, TL-1, LP-1 and SG-1 were on (almost) everyone's Top 20.

And some unpredictable results; the PBG-1 (10/16) and IB-1 (13/16) scored highly, but we've sold very few (we've sold just one PBG-1 in three months).

Not much love for the JM-1 (Kurt Cobain style JagMaster clone - 5/16). We can't keep up with orders for this one.

Absolutely no love for the GD-1 (the coffin shaped guitar - 0/16). FWIW, I'm with you guys on that one but we've sold every one of them and have a backorder for another.

A few people thought we shouldn't bother stocking the ST-1, TL-1 or LP-1. Maybe they didn't understand the brief, or they should never go into business.

Anyhoo, here's the TOP 20, according to you good people (21* models scored 7/16 or better and made the list):

ST-1
ST-1M (Strat style kit with maple neck)
TL-1
PRS-1TS
LP-1
SG-1
EX-1
ES-1G
FV-1G
SV-1
IB-1
JR-1
TL-1TH
TL-1TB
TL-1A
PBG-2
PRS-1S
LP-1SS (Spalted LP w/set neck - the bolt-on version scored 6/16)
SG-1F (Flame SG)
RC-1 (Rickenbacker style kit)

(*The PBG-1 scored 10/16 but we have good stocks of these, and they don't sell, so I will not include this one the Top 20 list for now)

Thanks again everyone.

adam
16-04-2013, 09:13 PM
Just a reminder about what this exercise was for...

We will endeavour to always have stock on hand for every kit in the Top 20. Note; it may take some time to get the order quantities right, but if any of these are out of stock, they won't be far away.

The 25+ kits that did not make the list; we will try and keep these in stock, but they will always be available by special order, with delivery in 4-9 weeks (if not in stock).

We will continue to introduce new models as they are released. For instance, we have a Double Cut Junior style kit due this week, which I think will be a big seller.

GlennGP
16-04-2013, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the follow-up, Adam, that is really interesting. I must say I'm surprised by the big sales of some of the models that us forum-lurkers don't favour, but if you're a capitalist you've gotta seek to meet demand. No complaints from me if some of the models go to back-order only, if it means you earn a decent crust (and therefore stay in business)!

adam
16-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Glenn, as a long time lefty pinko I'm going to ignore your "capitalist" label :P, but yes, if we don't make money, we can't continue to operate (as our friends in Melbourne found out).

Apart from the PBG-1 and the TLD-1TP (double cut Tele), there's not many kits that don't sell well. So, those kits that aren't on the Top 20 should still be in stock most of the time, they just won't ordered every month.

pablopepper
16-04-2013, 11:29 PM
Quote from adam on April 16, 2013, 06:06

And some unpredictable results; the PBG-1 (10/16) and IB-1 (13/16) scored highly, but we've sold very few (we've sold just one PBG-1 in three months).

Well, the IB-1 is the one I've had my eye on for a few months, but I was holding out for the basses. Now I just have to wait a strategic amount of time to order one so my wife doesn't find out and murder me. :/