PDA

View Full Version : robs ST-1 Build

robin
05-04-2013, 09:03 AM
OK, let’s get the excuses out of the way first:

1. Crap photos - I only have a mobile phone
2. Crap mess - Don’t have a workshop, everything is done on the back patio
3. Crap result - no talent

This being my first kit, it was always intended as an experiment, to see if I actually could do it.

I have made heaps of mistakes (most probably heaps more to come) but learnt a lot along the way. The whole experience to date has been enjoyable and most rewarding.

I took DB’s advice and I am taking my time, even to the extent of not using any power tools. Not that they are really needed, but shaping the Headstock would have been easier using a Jig Saw. But I found an old rusty Coping saw lying around so recruited that into service.

My main objective with this build is to make a guitar that is a joy to play. The appearance and sound are secondary at this stage. You can tell straight away whether it’s going to look good, but unfortunately I have to wait till it’s finished to find out how it plays.

Some pictures of my journey so far:

The body is Wudtone Carmine Gypsy and has had 4 x Deep Colour and 4 x Base Coats applied. Highlights and Gloss Top Coat to follow. Unfortunately I used a very cheap sandpaper and hadn't realized how badly it had scored the wood, but Wudtone is very forgiving and it hides a multitude of sins.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/2oyj6-5xDeep-Colour.jpg

robin
05-04-2013, 09:10 AM
These kits can actually be completed with the most modest tool collection. My only concession so far to buying tools was to get a cheap Fret Crowning File and fret protector. This is to hopefully appease my obsession that this guitar should be a pleasure to play. Note my hi-tech fret leveller and fret rocker.

Neck masked up and frets "artline'd" and ready to go.

Note my shorthand next to the frets that I think needed further attention after the first "pass" of the fret leveller.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/sobv5-Fret-Tools.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/650e2-Ready-for-Levelling.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/5798t-fret-tape.jpg

robin
05-04-2013, 09:12 AM
Finished leveling (I hope) and crowning the frets. It’s hard to tell from this photo but the frets are fairly low and nicely rounded. After crowning I dressed the frets with 400 grit paper then 800 grit, then on to 000 steel wool and a final polish with 0000 steel wool. However, only time will tell if I actually got them level :/
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/549sz-frets-finished.jpg

MikeL
05-04-2013, 09:31 AM
The Carmine Gypsy looks hot and with the attention you've put in on the frets I have no doubt it'll sound every bit as good as you hope.

Would love to see a pic with the pickguard sitting in place. The plain white will look excellent but I have a mental picture of the Carmine with a pearl plate poppin out of it.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/thumbnail.asp?file=assets/images/products/pefisssstpif.jpg&maxx=0&maxy=300

All in all, I need to pull my finger out, you guys are all leaving me behind :)

Gavin1393
05-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Looking good Rob

Are you going to do the face side of the headstock in carmine gypsy or going for the whole neck in one colour?

stui
05-04-2013, 10:41 AM
Quote from robin on April 4, 2013, 18:03
Doubt this will happen based on what you've posted so far...

robin
05-04-2013, 11:47 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on April 4, 2013, 18:43
Looking good Rob

Are you going to do the face side of the headstock in carmine gypsy or going for the whole neck in one colour?

Thanks Gav, but it wouldn't pass a close scrutiny. But I haven't finished yet so who knows.

The Neck and headstock is all being done with Tru-Oil. I've got about 8 coats on it so far. That will do for the neck, but I'll keep going with the headstock for a bit.

First time with Tru-Oil so not sure what I'm doing. It has built up quite a gloss which I really didn't want on the neck. I believe that I can take it back to a satin finish with fine sandpaper or steel wool, so will give that a try after it has cured a bit. I think I should have only done a few coats on the neck, but hey, this whole thing is a leaning exercise. So we live and learn.

cheers
rob

robin
05-04-2013, 12:00 PM
Quote from stui on April 4, 2013, 19:41

Doubt this will happen based on what you've posted so far...

Thanks Stui, but I have no experience and no idea what I am doing, which is not a very encouraging combination.

But as I said this is my first build but definitely not my last as I have already bought my next kit. So this will be a learning exercise that hopefully will put me in good stead for future builds.

cheers
rob

robin
05-04-2013, 12:09 PM
Quote from MikeL on April 4, 2013, 18:31
The Carmine Gypsy looks hot and with the attention you've put in on the frets I have no doubt it'll sound every bit as good as you hope.

Would love to see a pic with the pickguard sitting in place. The plain white will look excellent but I have a mental picture of the Carmine with a pearl plate poppin out of it.

I hope it will play OK Mike, but I have got to wait till its finished to find out. The next few weeks/months are going to be unbearable until I know one way or the other. lol.

I think you are right about the Pearl plate, but the plain white will have to do for now. When she is finished, if she deserves it, I might splash out ;)

I'll post a pic after I have got some gloss on it.

cheers
rob

dingobass
05-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Hey Robin,

I love how you are not being precious about this build!

The results so far are stunning!

Your attention with the fret levelling should pay dividends, remember that when you have her strung up and you test her, you will be able to work on any frets that cause a buzz... God knows I have had to do it myself and I have got all the high tech toys.... err... tools for the job.

So you can sit back and relax as you are doing fine and with the wealth of knowledge, talent and experience here on the forum for you to tap into, you will end up with a stunning and totally awesome Guitar! :D

robin
05-04-2013, 07:27 PM
Quote from dingobass on April 4, 2013, 21:30
Hey Robin,

I love how you are not being precious about this build!

The results so far are stunning!

Your attention with the fret levelling should pay dividends, remember that when you have her strung up and you test her, you will be able to work on any frets that cause a buzz... God knows I have had to do it myself and I have got all the high tech toys.... err... tools for the job.

So you can sit back and relax as you are doing fine and with the wealth of knowledge, talent and experience here on the forum for you to tap into, you will end up with a stunning and totally awesome Guitar! :D

Thanks DB and everybody else for the encouragement.

It was this type of feedback given to other builders on these forums that motivated me into doing this in the first place. Apart from a few professional exceptions, we are all just novices willing to give it a go. And it is with the help of those few professional exceptions that some of you have had some stunning results.

If I can reproduce results half as good as some I've seen here I will be quite happy.

Cheers
rob

WeirdBits
05-04-2013, 09:49 PM
[...] This being my first kit, it was always intended as an experiment [...]

[...] learnt a lot along the way. The whole experience to date has been enjoyable and most rewarding. [...]

I can certainly relate, and agree that the wealth of knowledge here on the forum helps immensely for those of us tentatively working through our first builds.

It appears to me like you've done an outstanding job so far. The Carmine Gypsy looks great on the body, and the side shot of those levelled frets looks like they're silky smooth and the neck will be a joy to play. Your fret levelling tool kit looks about the same as mine.

Just keep telling yourself 'slow and steady', that's what i'm doing. It will be worth it when it's finished.

robin
06-04-2013, 02:00 AM
Thanks Scott, it's been a fun journey so far.

I hope I managed to level the frets properly, time will tell I guess.

Slow and steady wins the race. :)

Cheers
rob

keloooe
06-04-2013, 02:10 AM
Lookin good there Rob!!! Time will tell if a) You leveled the frets properly (don't worry, they can be re-leveled later!) and b) How the finished Axe looks (most likely *censored* beautiful!)

robin
06-04-2013, 03:22 AM
Quote from keloooe on April 5, 2013, 11:10
Lookin good there Rob!!! Time will tell if a) You leveled the frets properly (don't worry, they can be re-leveled later!) and b) How the finished Axe looks (most likely *censored* beautiful!)

Hahaha, Thanks Callum.

But I doubt she'll ever win any beauty contest. Besides, if you make them too beautiful you'll be too scared to play them in case you get a mark on them. Never owned a single coil guitar before so this one is being built to be played. ;)

Cheers
rob

Bass Guy
06-04-2013, 03:30 AM
This looks gorgeous Robin... I can already hear Knopfler-esque tones emanating from it!

Gavin1393
06-04-2013, 03:38 AM
Callum, not always possible to re-level frets again after an attempt at doing so. You might find that there is no fret material to remove which is why a re-fret may often be necessary.

robin
06-04-2013, 03:52 AM
Quote from Bass Guy on April 5, 2013, 12:30
This looks gorgeous Robin... I can already hear Knopfler-esque tones emanating from it!

Haha, Tones maybe, ability? doubt it.

rob

robin
06-04-2013, 03:54 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on April 5, 2013, 12:38
Callum, not always possible to re-level frets again after an attempt at doing so. You might find that there is no fret material to remove which is why a re-fret may often be necessary.

Gavin, you have NO idea how much I DIDN'T want to read a post like this lol.

rob

Gavin1393
06-04-2013, 04:02 AM
Rob, don't stress about it. Removing Frets is dead easy just ask DB, He removes them from his Basses all the time!
It really is important to use the right methods, procedures and tools because the margin for error is limited if you don't. If you think about it, you dont want frets to be too high off the fretboard otherwise everytime tou try and sound a note it will be like you are bending the note sharp!
Did you read my thread on leveling Frets?

http://pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=179

robin
06-04-2013, 04:59 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on April 5, 2013, 13:02
Rob, don't stress about it. Removing Frets is dead easy just ask DB, He removes them from his Basses all the time!
It really is important to use the right methods, procedures and tools because the margin for error is limited if you don't. If you think about it, you dont want frets to be too high off the fretboard otherwise everytime tou try and sound a note it will be like you are bending the note sharp!
Did you read my thread on leveling Frets?

http://pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=179

Yes I did Gavin, thanks very much, and also the comments from DB and Scott. It was you guys that inspired me to have a go.

I did the best I could with limited tools and even less ability. I made sure not to take too much off, but having said that I imagine that a fraction of a mm will be the difference between a sweet sounding guitar and an interesting colorful wall hanging. Now you can see the logic of my first kit being the cheapest ;)

Thanks for you help and guidance mate, one way or the other there will be some interesting posts on this thread in the next month or so. Happy face, sad face? Who knows lol.

Cheers
rob

robin
18-04-2013, 01:02 AM
About time for a quick update.

Finally finished the Wudtone coats on the body so now can get back into it.

After 12 coats of Tru-Oil I also thought that I had finished the headstock, but after seeing Perry's GOTM comments about owning your build, I thought that I had better at least make an effort, so I sanded the face back to bare wood and started again. Still haven't "buried" the waterslide yet, but should be done in a few days, I hope.

I have been waiting a couple of weeks for the Copper shielding tape to arrive, and now it has I think I should have order a bit more :/

The interweb said (and everything on the interweb is true? right?) that aluminium foil is OK for shielding, so to save a bit of the copper tape I did the back of the scratch plate with a thick aluminium foil and the Pup and control cavity with the copper tape. I scuffed up the Ali foil a bit with 400grit paper where it contacts the copper so I hope it will be OK. Again, time will tell.

In case anybody is interested the Ali foil I used is from an aluminium foil BBQ tray. Have no idea how it will work, but it is way thicker than Alfoil etc. Hopefully it should do the trick.

Pic 1. Copper tape on the cavity
Pic 2. Ali on the back of the scratch plate
Pic 3. Secret Aluminium supply ;)

rob
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/og1pq-Cavity-Shielding.JPG
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/8khlv-Scratch-Plate-Shielding.JPG
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/67np2-Scratch-Plate-Shielding_1.JPG

dingobass
18-04-2013, 01:36 AM
Hi Rob,

Looking good buddy!

I have used alfoil to shield the back of pick guards and it seems to work OK.

robin
18-04-2013, 05:51 AM
Thanks for that DB, good to know.

I know you hate sanding, but after having now sanded and shielded (is that even a word?) a guitar, I will swap you sanding for shielding any day.

I may be a bit strange, but I find endless hours of sanding quite therapeutic.

Cheers
rob

wokkaboy
18-04-2013, 05:56 AM
Quote from robin on April 17, 2013, 14:51
Thanks for that DB, good to know.

I know you hate sanding, but after having now sanded and shielded (is that even a word?) a guitar, I will swap you sanding for shielding any day.

I may be a bit strange, but I find endless hours of sanding quite therapeutic.

Cheers
rob

where are you based Rob ? I'll bring a few axe bodies over for you to sand if you like it so much !
It's funny how some people hate some tasks and some enjoy them. I'm with DB sanding is monotonous and boring and the least fun part of building a Pit Bull Guitar.

Your strat come up a treat, what is the wudtone colour ? I see you have sanded it DB's method - SAND, SAND and more SANDING, then SAND once more !

Gavin1393
18-04-2013, 06:04 AM
Looking Awesome there Rob!

AJ
18-04-2013, 07:37 AM
Quote from dingobass on April 17, 2013, 10:36
Hi Rob,

Looking good buddy!

I have used alfoil to shield the back of pick guards and it seems to work OK.

Looks a million bucks there, nice job!
* Aluminum is just as good as copper for shielding purposes, only difference is making the "mechanical" connection to earth circuit is a tad more troublesome as not that easily soldered in situ, but can use a screw to connect a wire soldered back to the earth. :) :)

keloooe
18-04-2013, 08:39 AM
Quote from wokkaboy on April 17, 2013, 14:56
where are you based Rob ? I'll bring a few axe bodies over for you to sand if you like it so much !
It's funny how some people hate some tasks and some enjoy them. I'm with DB sanding is monotonous and boring and the least fun part of building a Pit Bull Guitar.
Agreed. Sanding is the boring part of building ANY guitar in my view, the fun stuff is after it!!!

robin
18-04-2013, 09:12 AM
@ Wokka
Haha, Brisbane mate, not saying where though. Didn't say I liked it THAT much. Anyway I'll have to wait for my cuts to heal first. Darn that stuff is sharp.

The Wudtone is Carmine Gypsy. I wish it looked that good but the iPhone camera did weird things to the colour. IRL its a bit more orange than in the pic.

@ Gav
Thanks mate, all encouragement gratefully received.

@ AJ
Thanks AJ. Not even sure what I've got to do next, but if I need to earth it, I will be doing it from the copper and not the Ali.

@ Callum
When you get old you will appreciate the simple things in life, like sitting on the back patio and just sanding.lol.

cheers guys
rob

keloooe
18-04-2013, 09:18 AM
Well, I'm not as old as you (or anyone else here!), so that isnt really an option for me!
And the cuts, yeah, copper tape is damn sharp! I got a ton of cuts to my fingers (11 on one!!!) that forced me to stop playing guitar for a few days...

dingobass
18-04-2013, 09:37 AM
I don't know what you guys are doing, but I have never cut myself with the copper tape.... :D

keloooe
18-04-2013, 09:51 AM
I cut myself a lot during the first time, the second was flawless... I don't know what I was doing either...

robin
18-04-2013, 10:05 AM
Quote from dingobass on April 17, 2013, 18:37
I don't know what you guys are doing, but I have never cut myself with the copper tape.... :D

Well it obvious that I don't know what I'm doing either. :p

The problem was that stuff is so sharp I hadn't realised I cut myself until I started getting blood on the copper. But not to worry, it matches Carmine Gypsy just a treat.

rob

Gavin1393
18-04-2013, 01:01 PM
If it matches, then I just wasted $40 when I could have just bled all over the wood!!! Now you tell me!

robin
18-04-2013, 07:46 PM
Quote from Gavin1393 on April 17, 2013, 22:01
If it matches, then I just wasted $40 when I could have just bled all over the wood!!! Now you tell me!

Hey Gav, I've heard of people "bleeding for their art" but that might be taking it just a little too far. Besides, unless you are an alien it won't help you much with "Emerald Isles" ;)

rob

robin
20-04-2013, 04:50 AM
OK Ladies and Gents, Boys and Girls, Luthiers and others.

I must admit that with a fair bit of trepidation it is time for me to start (queue dramatic music) ..... the ASSEMBLY!!!!

Drilling holes everywhere is so final. I apologize if I have missed something in the Forums, I have read the thread started by Dmac about aligning the neck, but that assumes that the bridge is already in place.

To me, its a Catch 22 (a Movie reference that some of you under 30 years old, might have to Google) ;). How do I set the bridge position without the neck being in place and visa versa. A whole lot of moving targets going on there:/

A Hand Holding approach and terminology applicable to the dim witted is totally acceptable, even encouraged.

Any help greatly appreciated, I have procrastinated long enough.

cheers
rob

Gavin1393
20-04-2013, 05:08 AM
Hi Robin

The NECK absolutely needs to be in place before you attempt to position the bridge.....

Gavin1393
20-04-2013, 05:25 AM
The neck must be fastened to the guitar body before you position any choice of bridge. A key factor that determines where the bridge will be positioned on the body of the guitar is the point where the neck meets the body. Scale length is vitally important.

All individual saddles must be set close to the front of the bridge. Now take a long ruler and measure the scale length from the front of the nut (or middle of the zero-fret) and position the middle of the saddles at this point. The bridge is then located centered to the fingerboard and its front parallel to the frets and screwed on. If you don't have the long ruler measure half of the scale length from the actual 12th fret.

Setting the intonation (compensation): Put the strings on, tune and stretch them lightly to shorten the time they need to settle. Retune. Now compare the pitch of an open string to its pitch when it is depressed at the 12th fret. You might expect that it should be equal but it isn't. When you depress a string its pitch becomes higher than it anticipated be because of the slight increase of string tension when you do so. Therefore the actual vibrating length of all strings must be made longer than the scale length in order to compensate for this fact. This is adjusted when you set the intonation of a guitar. An electric guitar usually has an adjustable saddle and the necessary compensation is therefore easy to adjust by screwing the saddles further away from the nut. Don't forget to retune every time you change the string length.

Make the vibrating string length longer until both pitches are equal. That's all. You will notice that the bass strings need more compensation than the treble strings. It might be necessary to recheck the intonation after a while when the strings have settled in completely.

Check my article here for more:
http://pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=186

robin
20-04-2013, 05:31 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on April 19, 2013, 14:08
Hi Robin

The NECK absolutely needs to be in place before you attempt to position the bridge.....

Gav, the virtual ink wasnt even dry on that post. 8O

Thanks so much for the speedy reply. The neck it shall be.

Thanks mate,
rob

Edit: and thanks for the follow up post. So much great information in both those post. I can now proceed with some level of confidence. :)

What a great community we have here.

Gavin1393
20-04-2013, 05:47 AM
In terms of the ink not being dry, the Pest has raised the bar in terms of response time, keeping the rest of us on our toes.

It's a scary task if you arent sure and it will certainly result in a cringe-worthy guitar that never plays in tune if you get it wrong. So I hope I have kept it simple enough because it is fairly simple when you have done one or two!

When the time comes to do the intonation then follow the procedure in the intonation setting post. :)

robin
20-04-2013, 08:30 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on April 19, 2013, 14:47
It's a scary task if you arent sure and it will certainly result in a cringe-worth guitar that never plays in tune if you get it wrong. So I hope I have kept it simple enough because it is fairly simple when you have done one or two!

When the time comes to do the intonation then follow the procedure in the intonation setting post. :)

Thanks Gav, you have demystified the whole process. Being my first build I was/am a little apprehensive, but I'm sure that my next builds (plural) will be much less stressful. Who knows, one day I might be able to hand out advice myself. 8-)

Thank again mate,
rob

Gavin1393
20-04-2013, 09:55 AM
Quote from robin on April 19, 2013, 17:30

Thanks Gav, you have demystified the whole process. Being my first build I was/am a little apprehensive, but I'm sure that my next builds (plural) will be much less stressful. Who knows, one day I might be able to hand out advice myself. 8-)

Thank again mate,
rob

My pleasure!
With the only possible exception being DB who was born with luthiers tools in both hands, most of us at some time knew BA about building guitars.
My greatest thrill and I know DB will agree, is to see people we have helped become passionate about helping others! We even have Pest who despite not having completed his first guitar yet is quite capable of guiding others with what needs to be done. I think it may have something to do with the young man having figured out how to hack into the video feed I had secretly installed in DB's man cave!

Gavin1393
20-04-2013, 10:04 AM
I predict that Pest will deem this post to be a double post....lets see if I am right!

keloooe
20-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Gav, double post mate!
The only reason why I have even put in some advice is because of you and DB!!! And yep, I have a 24/7 live video feed of DB's Man Cave, I watch him while I sand!

robin
04-05-2013, 04:53 AM
OK time to put this Thread to bed.

Finally finished my first build - the ST-1.

Actually it was assembled last week, but I was very disappointed with the result. Nothing went right with the final assembly. I had to cut out around the bridge routing, shim the neck and reshape the scratch plate. Nothing seemed to fit. Add to that dropping a stainless steel straight edge on it and other minor abrasions and contusions from various tools, and I have already started to unintentionally relic it. ;)

Time to plug her in and fire up the amp. Utter disappointment and despair. It could not be tuned properly and the action was terrible, and this after more than 50 hours work. I just put her aside to ponder my next move. This project was always all about how she played, and it was a FAIL! :?

Heaps of YouTube research and it was time to try to set her up properly. I adjusted the truss rod again, redid the frets (for the 3rd time), set the bridge height, filed down the nut (this was the main culprit) and then adjusted the intonation.

Result? An awesome guitar 8-) :D. I started this build with pretty mediocre expectations and accomplished more than I ever expected. It is still early days and I imagine that any instrument will take weeks/months to settle into a final "fit" but for now I have a guitar that is a joy to play!

My only other guitar is a 30 year old Gibson Les Paul (which I love dearly), and since finishing the ST the Gibbo has not been out of its case. Now I can't tell you how close it sounds to the "real thing" but I had a fairly good idea how Strat's sound and this beauty has all the iconic sounds that I was looking for. So different to the Gibson, which is what I wanted, and this with only all standard parts.

So thanks to all those that have helped, advised and encouraged me.

I'm about to start my next 2 projects, a Tele Thinline for me and a IB5 bass for a friend.

But before I go some pics. You will notice that I have not even cut the ends off the "setup" strings. I'm too busy playing it to worry about cosmetics. lol

cheers
rob

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/ba531-002.JPG
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/6zc89-006.JPG
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/2496r-007.JPG

robin
04-05-2013, 05:03 AM
And here's me trying to be all artsie and take some closeups, indoors, with a mobile phone camera with no flash.

Body Finish - Wudtone - Carmine Gypsy

Neck Finish - 6 coats of Tru-Oil

Headstock Finish - 12 Coats of Tru-Oil

cheers
rob

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/1wfen-008.JPG
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/uk077-010.JPG
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/60t1q-012.JPG

Gavin1393
04-05-2013, 05:04 AM
Just gorgeous Robin!
I but some Tone Riders in my Pitbull Strat and OMG! better than standard Fender pups.....!!

keloooe
04-05-2013, 05:11 AM
Yea, Toneriders are great in strats! Fender should buy some and take specs, then Strats and tele's will sound soooo much better!!!

robin
04-05-2013, 05:13 AM
Thanks mate, and thanks for the help and advice during the build, much appreciated.

Googling Tone Riders now. But at present I'm happy how she is. Playability was always my target, so I'll wait and see how she settles in, then MAYBE look at upgrades.

But I have enjoyed the build so much, and any upgrades just means less PBGuitars.

cheers
rob

keloooe
04-05-2013, 05:43 AM
Upgrade the components if you want, the PBG components aren't high-quality, but at least they work!!!

robin
04-05-2013, 06:21 AM
Yeah Callum, they are obviously not the best components, but they'll do for an old dude like me. Its not like I'll be on stage anytime soon. I play for my local church, so might give her an outing there sometime, but that's the limit.

rob

keloooe
04-05-2013, 06:45 AM
At least it's beautiful to look at!!!!

dingobass
04-05-2013, 09:21 AM
Rob, that is a really nice job Mate :D

I want you to put this guitar in next months GTOM as I reckon it is worth of entry!

Can't wait to see your next build 8-)

robin
04-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Thanks DB for the complements (and the help and encouragement during the build) but she's a bit of a Plain Jane especially compared to Glenn's March effort and any of last months GOTM contenders.

More of a work horse than a show pony. Lol

My next build will be the Thinline. Bit more of a challenge as there is quite a lot of glue and plastic filler in this one. I love a challenge ;)

rob

Brendan
04-05-2013, 09:54 AM
Rob - don't sell yourself short - I'd be proud of something like that, but I love the focus on a workhorse - something you'll go to in preference to a professional build.

Looks like the hard work has paid off. Enjoy playing it at church.
God Bless.

robin
04-05-2013, 10:09 AM
Thanks Brendan. Always enjoy playing at church :D

I think my "old faithful" Gibson will still be my main guitar for a while, but when I know I can rely on the ST staying in tune, I will definitely be using her at church. Something very satisfying about playing a guitar that you have built yourself.

God Bless mate
rob

Brendan
04-05-2013, 10:17 AM
No worries - like the logo as well... You've done a nice job.

robin
04-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Quote from Brendan on May 3, 2013, 19:17
No worries - like the logo as well... You've done a nice job.

The logo is the name of my beloved wife who passed away last year. So every guitar I make will bear her name, so will be very special to me. The build was better than therapy for me, and a lot cheaper.

God Bless mate
Rob

dingobass
04-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Hey Rob,

Not sure that I would describe that Axe as being a plain Jane......

There is passion, care and a whole lotta love in that build. Naming her after your Wife tells me that much.

dvous
04-05-2013, 11:21 AM
Nice result Rob. The colour works well with the white pickguard as supplied with the kit.

I've also done a ST-1 kit (pics to be posted soon) and used only the supplied components. Like you, my first audition was spoilt by poor intonation and buzzing frets. But my local guitar building guru helped me out with the necessary tweaks, first to action, and then with filing the nut.

Now, like yours, it tunes correctly. And not only is nice to lay but it sounds good too, even with the Pitbull supplied pickups. Not bad at all from a $99 kit!

robin
04-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Quote from dingobass on May 3, 2013, 20:11
Hey Rob,

Not sure that I would describe that Axe as being a plain Jane......

There is passion, care and a whole lotta love in that build. Naming her after your Wife tells me that much.

Thanks Phil,
Don't get me wrong, I love that guitar. She turned out better than I had over hoped. But I never set out to build a guitar with that GOTM Wow Factor. The standard has been set so high over the last 2 months I doubt even if I had tried, given my (at present) basic skill set, I could achieve that standard.

But watch out, I've learnt a lot from this build. Who knows what the future holds. ;)

And as for the rest of your post, spot on Buddy.

cheers
rob

robin
04-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Quote from dvous on May 3, 2013, 20:21
Nice result Rob. The colour works well with the white pickguard as supplied with the kit.

I've also done a ST-1 kit (pics to be posted soon) and used only the supplied components. Like you, my first audition was spoilt by poor intonation and buzzing frets. But my local guitar building guru helped me out with the necessary tweaks, first to action, and then with filing the nut.

Now, like yours, it tunes correctly. And not only is nice to lay but it sounds good too, even with the Pitbull supplied pickups. Not bad at all from a $99 kit!

Thanks Dvous,
Looking forward to seeing your build mate. It will be good to see another Strat, she must be feeling a bit unloved with all the interest being on other guitars at present.

And you are right, awesome value for $99. THANKS ADAM ;)

cheers
rob

dingobass
04-05-2013, 11:46 PM
Hey Rob,

Don't under estimate the quality of this build.

In my humble opinion it is worthy to keep company with all of the current GOTM contenders.

It is not just how she looks, but also the back story that counts as well.

Also, GOTM is designed to be fun! There is no "competition" intended with GOTM it is an opportunity to show and tell your build and receive some positive critique from a judge out side of the Pit Bull team.

keloooe
05-05-2013, 12:06 AM
I totally agree with DB there, GOTM is a little something that would make you feel like you have climbed Mount Everest!

The back story to that Axe is great, the looks are awesome, and now that it's finished, you have achieved something that you will remember for the rest of your life!!!

robin
05-05-2013, 03:43 AM
Thanks Phil and Callum.

The encouragement and help from these Forums never cease to amaze me. :)

I am finding that when I'm just sitting watching TV at night if I'm not playing the ST I will grab an old singlet and just start burnishing it. I've been doing that now for a week and already I think I can see a better finish appearing. Of course it could also just be wishful thinking. lol.

So who knows, maybe Cinderella might have a new gown by the end of the month at maybe she might attend the GOTM Ball after all. We'll see.

cheers Guys, and thanks everyone
rob

Brendan
05-05-2013, 04:42 AM
Rob, you'll know you've got it bad when the old cloth turns into a ream of A4 - hey DB?

robin
05-05-2013, 07:07 AM
Quote from Brendan on May 4, 2013, 13:42
Rob, you'll know you've got it bad when the old cloth turns into a ream of A4 - hey DB?

Thanks for reminding Brendan, I'd forgotten that DB pearl.

But I don't know, I don't think it would be as relaxing. Just running a soft cloth over those lovely ST curves is calming, like stroking a cat I guess. Doing it with A4 paper would feel like stroking an armadillo. Lol

But if the singlet doesn't work I'll give it a go.

Cheers
rob

dingobass
05-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Ha ha ha!

The photo copy paper trick is an old one shown to me by an elderly cabinet maker/ French Polisher when I was a nipper.
Only he used old news paper....

The paper is ever so slightly abrasive and with a bit of elbow grease you can get a mirror finish using this trick.

Buffing with an old t shirt or singlet will work as well, and it is good therapy!, just takes longer...

robin
05-05-2013, 09:18 AM
Quote from dingobass on May 4, 2013, 16:48

Buffing with an old t shirt or singlet will work as well, and it is good therapy!, just takes longer...

Thanks Phil, but I think I'll take the "it is good therapy!, just takes longer..." option right now.

My nephew used to clean cars for a living and always swore by the newspaper trick to clean auto glass.

rob

09-05-2013, 09:56 PM
Quote from robin on May 4, 2013, 12:43
Thanks Phil and Callum.

The encouragement and help from these Forums never cease to amaze me. :)

I am finding that when I'm just sitting watching TV at night if I'm not playing the ST I will grab an old singlet and just start burnishing it. I've been doing that now for a week and already I think I can see a better finish appearing. Of course it could also just be wishful thinking. lol.

So who knows, maybe Cinderella might have a new gown by the end of the month at maybe she might attend the GOTM Ball after all. We'll see.

cheers Guys, and thanks everyone
rob

Hey this is a lovely job. A guitar that you can't put down is a great guitar and I bet that patina is just loving the attention!

matty42
06-06-2013, 06:06 AM
Mate, that is a thing of beauty!! If I can build one that looks half as good as that I will be chuffed!

robin
06-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Quote from matty42 on June 5, 2013, 15:06
Mate, that is a thing of beauty!! If I can build one that looks half as good as that I will be chuffed!

Thanks Matty, If I can do it anyone can. Just take your time and ask for help if you need to. But most importantly have fun.

rob

rhay
07-06-2013, 07:18 AM
Rob, if this is your first attempt it is brilliant!!

Even if it is not it is still a very, very good looking instrument.

robin
07-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Thanks Ray for the complement.

It was my first attempt, I just took my time and didn't rush it. I am a complete novice and if I can do anybody can. Just basic tools and very basic skills, the only other thing you need is the desire to make something yourself that you never thought you could do. It's a great feeling. :)

Cheers
rob

Bass Guy
07-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Just gorgeous. A real Knopfler Machine...