PDA

View Full Version : Instructions and guidance

GlennGP
03-04-2013, 06:23 AM
While I was away I visited a friend in Canberra building an ES, and we had a chat about the kits and exchanged war stories about building them.

We love the value of the kits, and the superb result you can get out of them if you take it carefully and don't hesitate to seek out advice.

One thing we agreed would be useful is a guide to what's in the hardware bag. With the simpler kits the process of elimination is pretty short to work out what you need to go where, but we're both reasonably cluey blokes. I can't imagine how baffled a less intuitive customer might be with the bag-of-bits for a more complex kit. So, our "Christmas Wish" is for a sheet of paper to be added which simply sets out a description of what is in each part of the hardware bag. A single piece of paper with a tabulated description, in the same layout as the bag, is all that's required, e.g. "8 x scratchplate screws".

Obviously, if they're not produced consistently, you can't do this. I'd be surprised if that's the case, though. And it's a pretty simple way to avoid some pretty big mistakes!

Adam, for your consideration.

keloooe
03-04-2013, 06:49 AM
Yes, I spent a good hour or two determining what goes where...

Gavin1393
03-04-2013, 06:54 AM
Glenn, what about posting some pics on the forum under the forum heading perhaps. There are so many models and so many of the screws will be obvious in no time in terms of where they go, for example the Neck Plate, Pickguard Screws, tuner screws etc. I'm sure there is a list used in the factory but I'm guessing it's not in Engerish!

GlennGP
03-04-2013, 07:26 AM
Gav, not a bad idea. I, for one, would be willing to take a pic of the hardware bag and annotate it each time I do a kit, but I'm highly unlikely to get through the full range!

Perhaps if all the regulars commit to doing this, it would serve the purpose and come close to full coverage in time.

pablopepper
03-04-2013, 09:04 AM
Quote from GlennGP on April 2, 2013, 16:26
Perhaps if all the regulars commit to doing this, it would serve the purpose and come close to full coverage in time.

I've got an es-1g due tomorrow, I'd be happy to document it.

What sort of photos should we take? I'm assuming one of the unopened bag of screws etc. and one of the rest of the loose bits. Photo of the neck and body is probably superfluous. And a detailed list of everything.

A bit too late with my bass kit.

GlennGP
03-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Well, I originally thought a simple table on A4 paper, which would be easy and cost-effective for Adam would be the go ... but since we're talking about taking this into our own hands, here's an example of something that might work.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/ex83z-ST-bag.jpg

Bear in mind I cropped this from the ST-1 pic, so the resolution isn't very good, and therefore I wasn't able to actually identify some of the bits (and may have made errors with other bits), but the idea is the key thing here.

This was done quick and dirty - I cropped the photo in MS Paint, inserted it into a Word doc and then added the text boxes and arrows, grouped all elements and exported them back to Paint to save as a single jpg. Basic, but effective!

Gavin1393
03-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Glenn, this seems like a workable solution. Well done on the initiative. I'm sure that there will be folks whose confidence will be boosted knowing that there is help at hand with this.

dingobass
03-04-2013, 01:04 PM
Nice one Glenn. :D

It would be a good idea to start a new section in the FAQ section for this.

adam
03-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Hey great initiative Glenn and everyone.

pablopepper
04-04-2013, 02:04 AM
Okay, ES-1G showed up today (hooray!!). I'm just gonna post what I've done. Let me know if there need to be any changes and feel free to use these as you like.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/84weg-ES-1G-parts-1.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/j5rqh-ES-1G-parts-2.jpg

wokkaboy
04-04-2013, 03:04 AM
Pablo,
I just finished building an ES-1G and your description diagram looks correct to me, other than add 2 green capacitors (for tone pots) to top middle of parts bag

well done on the initiative and eventually would be good to have an A4 print of this with each new kit for beginners and builders unfamiliar with all the parts and where all the screws go

I'd like to know any builder who has had enough solder provided in the kit for a 2 volume/2 tone guitar. I used about 5 times as much to make sure the solders stayed connected when you have to feed the wiring through the 'F' hole. It's a challenge but I found it not too difficult. Buy some 5mm clear plastic tubing to get the 4 pots through worked a treat - thanks for that advice Gav !!

cheers Wokka

Gavin1393
04-04-2013, 03:28 AM
Quote from wokkaboy on April 3, 2013, 12:04
I'd like to know any builder who has had enough solder provided in the kit for a 2 volume/2 tone guitar. I used about 5 times as much to make sure the solders stayed connected when you have to feed the wiring through the 'F' hole. It's a challenge but I found it not too difficult. Buy some 5mm clear plastic tubing to get the 4 pots through worked a treat - thanks for that advice Gav !!

cheers Wokka

I'm still seeing my therapist (I have the appointment immediately after DB) as a result of that dratted 'f' hole escapade. But since discovering the 'tubing-trick' I almost feel like building another one.....

wokkaboy
04-04-2013, 07:22 AM
so Gav did you come up with the tubing idea or did you get it from somewhere else like youtube ? I was really nervous about feeding wiring through the F hole but it was much easier than I thought with tubing and some wiring to reach the input jack

Gavin1393
04-04-2013, 07:56 AM
Quote from wokkaboy on April 3, 2013, 16:22
so Gav did you come up with the tubing idea or did you get it from somewhere else like youtube ? I was really nervous about feeding wiring through the F hole but it was much easier than I thought with tubing and some wiring to reach the input jack

I came up with it myself actually. I went off to Bunnings with pot in hand hoping that the tube would fit tightly over the pot....then when I got back to the Lair i thought "bugger! Will it still fit through the holes in the cap....!!! At that stage I was ready to simply grab a larger drill bit if it didnt! I was even more surprised that it fit so well INSIDE the jack.....
I had originally googled how to do it and the poor bugger i learned from had made a contraption with a plug to get the output jack into place and had tied string around the pots! I know he was a poor bugger because for several hours I stood in his shoes. The tubing idea came immediately after I threw the toys out of the cot and into the sea.....i physically ripped the pots, wiring, switch and output jack out of the guitar after an earth cable detached itself for the 20th time.....and I was trying so hard to keep calm! FAIL! So started again after the trip to Bunnings and for good measure decided to lengthen the joining wired between the Tone and Volume sets and the output jack so that these could be removed through the F-hole if needed. But this time it worked beautifully....

adam
04-04-2013, 08:50 AM
Haha, what a great mental image that is of you throwing all your parts into the Indian ocean (having been to your place, this is actually possible).

But seriously Gav, you deserve some major kudos for the tubing idea. DB, we need to steal this idea and make a video with our logos all over it befor gav does.

Gavin1393
04-04-2013, 09:19 AM
Quote from adam on April 3, 2013, 17:50
Haha, what a great mental image that is of you throwing all your parts into the Indian ocean (having been to your place, this is actually possible).

But seriously Gav, you deserve some major kudos for the tubing idea. DB, we need to steal this idea and make a video with our logos all over it befor gav does.

I have read the small print and know I'm entitled to a credit in font size 3 on the video and I will be checking up on it!

dingobass
04-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Quote from adam on April 3, 2013, 17:50

Yeah.... maybe one day... I am still suffering nervous twitches and the occasional bout of Tourettes after building the ES... Though it could be fun watching you try and get those dratted pots fed through the right holes Adam! :D

adam
04-04-2013, 09:59 AM
Well DB, you've seen how well I can apply a decal on my first attempt, so I might surprise you!

(No, honestly, I lack the patience for guitar building, but I'm good at other things 8O )

4D Guitars
05-04-2013, 06:33 AM
Gav,
I didn't realise the tubing fit inside the output jack, damn, that was the hardest and furtherest part to install. Oh well next time then.
Great idea to make wire runs between pots longer in case you need to remove one pot instead of having to remove all 4 pots to access one pot.
Be great to see a tubing video Adam and DB, at 4D Guitars we recommend a few beers before attempting this - it worked for me !

cheers Wokka

Gavin1393
05-04-2013, 08:36 AM
If you buy the full 5m roll from Bunnings you have plenty tube left over to drop one end into the beer bottle and keep the other in your mouth since you do need both hands to get those Pots, jacks and switches fitted! ;)

wokkaboy
06-04-2013, 01:19 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on April 4, 2013, 17:36
If you buy the full 5m roll from Bunnings you have plenty tube left over to drop one end into the beer bottle and keep the other in your mouth since you do need both hands to get those Pots, jacks and switches fitted! ;)

Even better idea there Gav, thanks mate, next ES kit I build I'll be a full bottle, literally !

keloooe
06-04-2013, 01:35 AM
Quote from wokkaboy on April 5, 2013, 10:19

Quote from Gavin1393 on April 4, 2013, 17:36

Even better idea there Gav, thanks mate, next ES kit I build I'll be a full bottle, literally !
Drink while ya build, seems legit!

Gavin1393
06-04-2013, 03:54 AM
Quote from keloooe on April 5, 2013, 10:35

Haha - Nice try Pest! Not for you though! :D

keloooe
06-04-2013, 04:07 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on April 5, 2013, 12:54

Quote from keloooe on April 5, 2013, 10:35

Aw, damn... My alternative: Coffee or Coke (you know what I mean, don't you???)!!!

wokkaboy
06-04-2013, 04:51 AM
Aw, damn... My alternative: Coffee or Coke (you know what I mean, don't you???)!!!

so Pest when do you turn 18yo ? next year I assume ?

not long to wait bro and you can build axes and drink bevvys. Come over to 4D we'll show you how its done

keloooe
06-04-2013, 05:02 AM
Quote from wokkaboy on April 5, 2013, 13:51

so Pest when do you turn 18yo ? next year I assume ?

not long to wait bro and you can build axes and drink bevvys. Come over to 4D we'll show you how its done
Nope, 2016, that's all I'm giving out for now....

Gavin1393
06-04-2013, 05:53 AM
Callum is aiming to be the youngest on the planet to finish a Pitbull guitar next month! Go Pest!

keloooe
06-04-2013, 05:59 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on April 5, 2013, 14:53
Callum is aiming to be the youngest on the planet to finish a Pitbull guitar next month! Go Pest!
Depends on how resistant the glue is, and if I can do any work this weekend...

wokkaboy
06-04-2013, 06:31 AM
really you are only 15 this year Pest
Had no idea you are such an ankle biter !
yer work on that glue Pest so you can start wudtoning the body. We've just ordered 3 kits that should arrive Monday to commence work for May GOTM, more news to come soon

keloooe
06-04-2013, 06:35 AM
Gavin wannabe??? I'm a mix of a you, DB and Gavin wannabe...

Gavin1393
06-04-2013, 06:54 AM
God help us!!!!