PDA

View Full Version : Tru-Oil a neck

robin
02-04-2013, 08:36 AM
Hi Guys, a question for the Pitbull Collective.

I know that a wood to wood fit between neck and pocket is important, but I intend to finish the neck with Tru-oil ( al la Music Man guitars).

My question, with a bolt on neck (ST-1 Kit), is it ok to treat the neck heel with several coats of Tru-oil or should it be left clear?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

rob

Gavin1393
02-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Hi Rob

I don't have experience with tru-oilbut asa general rule you want the bare wood of the neck to have good contact with the bare wood of the body so that the vibrations travel through the neck to the body un-dampened. Tru-oil seems very similar in properties to our Wudtone,as such it probably does not dampen the tone like Nitro would so probably ok to paint on a neck heel with a bolt on. Let's see what DB thinks?

dingobass
02-04-2013, 09:57 AM
Hi Rob.

I really don't think it will affect the tone of the Guitar if you oil the heel.
Having pulled the necks off a few Gibsons and Fenders I have noticed that they have nearly all been given a coat of Nitro... YUK!... I digress, so Tru oil should not be a tone killer if applied to the whole neck.

robin
02-04-2013, 10:00 AM
Thanks Gavin, I was hoping for that answer. It means I can start oiling the neck while I'm still Wudtone'ing the Body.

cheers mate
rob

robin
02-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Thanks DB, again as with Gsv, the answer that I was hoping for. It just means I can start on the neck NOW!!!

About 20 years ago I bought a secondhand Gibson with a nice "shiny" neck and I loved it. But over the years it has all worn off and now its down to bear wood, now I could never go back to Nitro etc. I just love the silky feel of the wood.

That's how come I've got some Tru-Oil, it was originally for the Gibson. I thought that I had better start protecting the wood. Haven't put it on yet, thought I would try it on the kit first.

Thanks mate
rob

Gavin1393
02-04-2013, 11:02 AM
I have a mate in Qld who swears by his Tru-oil!