PDA

View Full Version : AJs Build LP-1

AJ
30-03-2013, 04:34 AM
Hi,
I'm going to make a start on the kit in the next few days.... I hope.. :?

I'm currently waiting on the wood tone to arrive, but due to regulations governing flammable goods transportation, I do expect it to take a little bit of time to arrive, however, a different story I am experiencing with goods ordered from 50 k from my house and supposedly delivery via courier.... am not in the least bit impressed now with "FASTWAY COURIERS" .... WARNING DON'T USE THEM..
Items ordered were -
10/12 radius sanding block, 1 meter of copper shielding tape, 1 meter of 4 core shielded wire... here's a look at the track able delivery.....

What is so wrong with this picture..... :x
I could of driven over to the shop, had lunch , even a ciggy... and been back home in under 2 hrs... even in Melbourne traffic clogged freeways... definitely not a happy camper with them.... I doubt I will get the items now before next Tuesday due to Easter...
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/90ddo-Fastway-Couriers-Courier-Services-Franchise-Opportunities-Track-Your-Parce_2013-03-29_11-54-22.jpg

Gavin1393
30-03-2013, 04:48 AM
Driver is clearly asleep somewhere along the road....

dingobass
30-03-2013, 08:20 AM
I would be asking, no, insisting on my money back. This is unacceptable....

On the bright side, you should get your Wudtone on Tuesday ..... If Aussie Post get it right..

keloooe
30-03-2013, 10:38 PM
Quote from dingobass on March 29, 2013, 17:20

On the bright side, you should get your Wudtone on Tuesday ..... If Aussie Post get it right..
I'm expecting the rest of my stuff on Tuesday as well!
And I agree with AJ, you can get anywhere here in Melbs on any day and be back home in a couple of hours...ya should have done it yourself, so much easier...

AJ
03-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Quote from keloooe on March 30, 2013, 07:38

Quote from dingobass on March 29, 2013, 17:20

I'm expecting the rest of my stuff on Tuesday as well!
And I agree with AJ, you can get anywhere here in Melbs on any day and be back home in a couple of hours...ya should have done it yourself, so much easier...

Wood tone arrived today while I was out (visiting very sick Mil in hossy). TY Pit bull for the excellent service... on another not tho.. the courier also visited some time after 11 am today... and only left a calling card... so back on the merry-go-round with them during business hrs in the morning, before I head back into the hossy again.
I did send a message to the company I purchased the block, wire n copper from tho... think I said I was not a happy camper in the least..

AJ
15-04-2013, 07:55 AM
Finally got time now to start the build, so first job I did was to make a straightedge to do the frets, made that from a flat bar aluminum notched out to suit the LP.. came up ok Used my spirit level with double sided tape and a steel rule, then sandpaper stuck to that to get the "gauge trued to a known straight edge. Checked neck and showed the neck to be fairly straight..
I then did a trial fit of the gear and neck to find the scale ... is 626mmm. so tomorrow is onto doing the fret leveling and sanding of the body.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/pegy4-IMAG0163.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/7a930-IMAG0161.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/m4u9x-IMAG0164.jpg

Gavin1393
15-04-2013, 08:01 AM
I am in awe I am so impressed with your notched straight edge!

adam
15-04-2013, 08:16 AM
Looking good AJ.

keloooe
17-04-2013, 04:37 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on April 14, 2013, 17:01
Yeah, my eyes went to the size of bowling balls when I saw the straightedge!

AJ
17-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Quote from keloooe on April 16, 2013, 13:37

Quote from Gavin1393 on April 14, 2013, 17:01
Yeah, my eyes went to the size of bowling balls when I saw the straightedge!

ty guys :D

Yesterday was a lost day, the diamond file from stew macks is still in transit, and the weather was not good to be playing under the back carport.

Today arrives, so out under the carport to do some sanding etc on the body, had a largish dent in the side, took a long time to sand/ scrape out along with a few glue patches. Mainly concentrated on the sides and thought I had it up to speed to do the deep color coat to the sides n back.. should of waited to recheck tomorrow for any wayward scratches that I may have missed (or in the least cleaned the glasses.lol)... bugga...they show up like neon signs. Think the sides have character with some heavily stained areas and some super light spots ... (first coat of deep color).

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/jdusx-2013-04-16-17.40.50.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/10ve5-2013-04-16-17.41.01.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/17606-2013-04-16-17.42.17.jpg

dingobass
17-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Looking good so far AJ.

You will get that dark and light effect, it is to do with the grain.

Some areas the grain is cut into, so it is actually end grain, this will soak up more colour.

the other areas are longitudinal grain, so it wont soak up as much.

This just adds to the character of the Guitar. 8-)

Gavin1393
17-04-2013, 11:05 AM
The way to cure a dent in the wood of your guitar is to soak the dented section with a wet rag. Then use a heated iron to draw the dent out of the wood by dabbing the heated iron onto the dented area until the wood swells back to its original state!

keloooe
17-04-2013, 09:00 PM
Wow AJ, looks great already!!! I might need to add a few things to my fancy burst to compete with that!!!

AJ
18-04-2013, 12:43 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on April 16, 2013, 20:05

The way to cure a dent in the wood of your guitar is to soak the dented section with a wet rag. Then use a heated iron to draw the dent out of the wood by dabbing the heated iron onto the dented area until the wood swells back to its original state!

I should of remembered this from my RC hobby days.. 8O DOH! Ah well, as long as I don't forget where my shed is... ;)

AJ
19-04-2013, 12:26 AM
I've had to change track atm, will save the wudtone I have left for the next guitar build as not enough deep base to go back over the rear of the body as I had to sand it back a long way to get rid of the rotten scratch marks I'd missed :( So not enough of the deep base left to redo back and do the burst on the front.. The upside is I can use this on the next kit I want to do.

I had some ( full can of mahogany (wattle)), I added more pigments in the form of black and bright red to enhance the colour so I applied that. not sure if the clear wudtone finish will go over that or not... Maybe Phil (dingobass) can advise me. I do have a full can of cobathane clear ultra gloss that I can substitute also..

will post some updated pictures later today/ night.

keloooe
19-04-2013, 12:55 AM
AJ, send DB an email and he can sort you out!
DB's email: dingobass@pibullguitars.com

Gavin1393
19-04-2013, 02:54 AM
I reckon you may find DB telling you that stuff you want to substitute for Wudtone is great on furniture, but not on guitars if you want to preserve the tone!

dingobass
19-04-2013, 06:04 AM
OH AJ, I am sorry I missed this post this morning.. :(

I would have been more than happy to arrange some extra deep colour for you, it is all part of the service.

Oh well, we will chalk this one up as a learning curve.
Send me an email re colour and I will get some more out to you when our next shipment arrives.

The bright side is you will have your Wudtone ready for the next project. In the meantime, keep the bottles tightly sealed and in a cool place as there is a shelf life of about 2-3 months. Maybe hide it at the back of the fridge behind your beer ;)

AJ
19-04-2013, 07:43 AM
Quote from dingobass on April 18, 2013, 15:04
OH AJ, I am sorry I missed this post this morning.. :(

I would have been more than happy to arrange some extra deep colour for you, it is all part of the service.

Oh well, we will chalk this one up as a learning curve.
Send me an email re colour and I will get some more out to you when our next shipment arrives.

The bright side is you will have your Wudtone ready for the next project. In the meantime, keep the bottles tightly sealed and in a cool place as there is a shelf life of about 2-3 months. Maybe hide it at the back of the fridge behind your beer ;)

Ty Phil, I'll have to hide it behind something healthy...the live at home youngest parasite (30 YO now) has habits worse than Ossy Osborne..So I don't have beer at home.... :(

got the neck done today, think the frets came up ok, wont know till I get it all together. I did notice that the binding along the neck has minute fractures in different spots... the stain highlighted them, but you may not notice unless you look really closely.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/86rfi-2013-04-18-15.49.48.jpg

AJ
19-04-2013, 07:52 AM
Some more pickies of the back of the guitar with the "modified stain"
I rather like the result... even with the strong blackish line between the ligher sides and the back. Only difference was I sanded the back completely on the back and scuffed up the sides with steel wool.
Will , weather permitting make a start on the top side :)
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/fz0eb-2013-04-18-18.01.45.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/368ye-2013-04-18-18.02.10.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/ilexu-2013-04-18-18.03.01.jpg

robin
19-04-2013, 08:51 AM
That looks really nice AJ, I like the two tone sides and back too. Can't wait to see how the top turns out.

rob

Gavin1393
19-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Looking really good there AJ!
Regarding the binding, are you sure they are crack, not just scratches?

One of the things we recommend is to go through the grits to 600 on the binding. This will 'polish' the binding and avoid scratches being highlighted and will make getting the Wudtone off the binding very much easier. Of course, if the binding is cracked then this wouldn't work anyway!

dingobass
19-04-2013, 11:28 AM
Wot Gavin said... I go even further and steel wool the binding before I start the finish process... but then I am probably really anally retentive about these things.... :D

GlennGP
19-04-2013, 11:28 PM
Quote from dingobass on April 18, 2013, 20:28
Wot Gavin said... I go even further and steel wool the binding before I start the finish process... but then I am probably really anally retentive about these things.... :D

"probably", he says. *snort* :D

AJ
22-04-2013, 06:10 AM
Quote from dingobass on April 18, 2013, 20:28

I do that ;)(really anally retentive), took note of some of the postings about that.
Got another coat of stain on the front today, I think one more should really bring out the purple-red color when the shinny coat gets applied.

I am learning from my mistakes along the way..
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/8bjo8-2013-04-21-16.06.41.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/66200-2013-04-21-16.07.09.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/s57xw-2013-04-21-16.07.44.jpg

keloooe
23-04-2013, 01:02 AM
Hey AJ, that looks pretty sexy there mate!!!
You entering this in GOTM?

Gavin1393
23-04-2013, 01:38 AM
It needs to be finished Pest! Give the man a break! :) He's enjoying himself, taking his time as instructed by DB! ;)

...and besides, weren't you suppossed to be entering a certain LP this month! No advanced Mathematics excuses now young man! You have at least 6 hours a day of sleep you can use to finish! :)

PS: DB wanted me to let you know that Tiger Airlines are selling Perth / Melbourne tickets for $37-50 right now for December....

pablopepper
23-04-2013, 05:02 AM
Damn AJ! Looking great! What colour is that? Looks freakishly close to my 'wine red' Jazz Bass.

keloooe
23-04-2013, 06:26 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on April 22, 2013, 10:38
It needs to be finished Pest! Give the man a break! :) He's enjoying himself, taking his time as instructed by DB! ;)

...and besides, weren't you suppossed to be entering a certain LP this month! No advanced Mathematics excuses now young man! You have at least 6 hours a day of sleep you can use to finish! :)

PS: DB wanted me to let you know that Tiger Airlines are selling Perth / Melbourne tickets for $37-50 right now for December....
I'm not blaming the school work now, I'm blaming the horrid glue patch!!!
Hmmm... Getting to Perth in December would be tricky, school year ends 21st Dec. I think..

AJ
23-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Quote from pablopepper on April 22, 2013, 14:02
Damn AJ! Looking great! What colour is that? Looks freakishly close to my 'wine red' Jazz Bass.

bit of a long story of the color...lol

I had a scratch appear on the back, so I went back and eliminated it, consequently I did not have enough deep color to redo back and a star burst on the front. So made a snap decision to keep the remaining wudtone for next kit I attempt.
Now for what the color is... the base is mahogany (wattle brand, old one in the shed and then added tints of black and red to get the color to almost a burgundy... I would not have a hope in hell of being able to get the mix the same again... 8O

Gavin1393
23-04-2013, 10:59 AM
Gee! that's a pity! it looks fantastic....DB has spent the last 48 hours trying to figure out that colour!

pablopepper
23-04-2013, 08:54 PM
Quote from Gavin1393 on April 22, 2013, 19:59
Gee! that's a pity! it looks fantastic....DB has spent the last 48 hours trying to figure out that colour!

For real! This should be the basis for a custom wudtone colour. It's just too nice.

keloooe
23-04-2013, 09:02 PM
Quote from Gavin1393 on April 22, 2013, 19:59
I pretty much did the same Gav, couldn't figure it out until AJ told us!

AJ
26-04-2013, 05:54 AM
First up, today is Anzac day. I always reflect for a while,and have a thought for the safety of our servicemen and women on active service in war zones. I am a retired serviceman myself, even though I did 20 years in the RAAF , some of my service was in the Vietnam era, and desert storm, I never served in an active war zone.

LEST WE FORGET

On to the build...
got 2 mist coats onto the body now, and a good coating to the neck,just allowing a day or two before I get some more onto them.
The pic's don't show the darkness of the reddish colour from straight on .

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/0yb62-2013-04-25-16.14.49.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/drf4e-2013-04-25-16.14.06.jpg

AJ
26-04-2013, 05:55 AM
oops double posting here .. sorry

Gavin1393
26-04-2013, 08:37 AM
AJ! you're a natural mate! outstanding colour and a guitar to be extremely proud of I am sure. DB, please mix a custom colour for me.....! :)

keloooe
26-04-2013, 08:47 AM
Oh my god, I might change the colour scheme that I want for a future kit to be like that...
Great work there AJ, coming along beautifully!

AJ
26-04-2013, 10:55 AM
Ty guys, but still a lot can go wrong before it's finished :)

Am trying to design a "sticker" for the headstock atm any ideas are welcomed :D

here's a few I am sorta thinking of:
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/xe9i9-AJ-1.png
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/r1512-AJ2.png

Brendan
26-04-2013, 11:41 AM
AJ, Personally - I like the script from the red and gold version maybe a bit more gravitas - that said, if you're putting it on the headstock, you might want to go with a clear background rather than the red - if it's not in the right shade (and it can be a real pain to get it just right), I think it would look off against you're beautiful headstock - love the depth that you've got in the colour.

What I think would make it special would be for it to be in a metallic gold, I have a few vague ideas on how it could be done, but nothing concrete.

AJ
27-04-2013, 12:39 AM
Quote from Brendan on April 25, 2013, 20:41
AJ, Personally - I like the script from the red and gold version maybe a bit more gravitas - that said, if you're putting it on the headstock, you might want to go with a clear background rather than the red - if it's not in the right shade (and it can be a real pain to get it just right), I think it would look off against you're beautiful headstock - love the depth that you've got in the colour.

What I think would make it special would be for it to be in a metallic gold, I have a few vague ideas on how it could be done, but nothing concrete.

I'm all ear's, guide me please :)

Brendan
27-04-2013, 11:54 AM
"Simplest" option - can you make a stencil of the text and spray paint / use small brush and some good oil based paint?
Option 2: my wife and I used a heat sensitive gold embossing powder from Lincraft in making our wedding invites. This adheres to wet ink then melts with the right amount of heat. Small tub, but we bought it 10+ years ago so I don't know how much for, but goes a long way. Nice effect - poss could grab something right off the printer and apply the dust, (or photocopy onto the paper then heat, apply dust), then heat with something like a heatgun... - not sure how this would be done - may want to check with the decal paper people to see what heat it can handle. Needs some heat from something like a heatgun, but how much and for how long... not sure. Maybe the decal stuff for laser printers may be less heat sensitive?
Option 3: have you got a partner with a good hand for caligraphy? I think DB put around a link for some images of someone's telecaster on Imgur where it looks like a number of signatures were made on the back of the guitar in permanent marker - may be a call for cavalry? (long bow I know).
Option 4:trying to think of something simple and not fiddly like #2, but will be able to be applied to the headstock. Still drawing blanks...

AJ
28-04-2013, 07:50 AM
Quote from Brendan on April 26, 2013, 20:54
"Simplest" option - can you make a stencil of the text and spray paint / use small brush and some good oil based paint?
Option 2: my wife and I used a heat sensitive gold embossing powder from Lincraft in making our wedding invites. This adheres to wet ink then melts with the right amount of heat. Small tub, but we bought it 10+ years ago so I don't know how much for, but goes a long way. Nice effect - poss could grab something right off the printer and apply the dust, (or photocopy onto the paper then heat, apply dust), then heat with something like a heatgun... - not sure how this would be done - may want to check with the decal paper people to see what heat it can handle. Needs some heat from something like a heatgun, but how much and for how long... not sure. Maybe the decal stuff for laser printers may be less heat sensitive?
Option 3: have you got a partner with a good hand for caligraphy? I think DB put around a link for some images of someone's telecaster on Imgur where it looks like a number of signatures were made on the back of the guitar in permanent marker - may be a call for cavalry? (long bow I know).
Option 4:trying to think of something simple and not fiddly like #2, but will be able to be applied to the headstock. Still drawing blanks...

Thanks Brendan,
had a think about gilding.. too much mucking around and a bit fiddly for a not so nimble fella like me.. Also dont think the nicro - lacquer will take heat all that well either. So will go down the rout of a decal buried under a few coats of top coat.
the body is now to the stage of letting harden up then glue the neck
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/d8p4m-2013-04-27-16.54.59.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/0gz6a-2013-04-27-17.00.04.jpg

Brendan
28-04-2013, 08:44 AM
AJ - I'm jealous - it looks too good to do anything that may risk that lovely colour. Understand about the fiddly. I agree - the decal looks like the best option. Looking at the kit again, the pickup surrounds look yellow, so a decal should pick that up anyway.

tigertune
28-04-2013, 09:33 AM
Wow looking great,great color & finish

Wiggles
28-04-2013, 11:52 AM
I'm loving that colour, great work!

WeirdBits
28-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Amazing colour, AJ, looks great.

AJ
06-05-2013, 07:55 PM
Quote from WeirdBits on April 28, 2013, 00:49
Amazing colour, AJ, looks great.

Made up some decals, reverse printed them and then tried my hand at a bit of gilding on them.. thought they turned out ok so stuck them on the headstock , then sprayed a coat of clear over... seems I was a little "careless when trying the gilding for the first time... but have left them on, look ok from a yard or two..lol will post a pickie later on. Also got the shielding completed in the switch cavities.. note to self next time buy more than a meter of the copper tape.

got around to cut/polish the backside of the body also.. now need to do sides and front.

AJ
07-05-2013, 06:42 AM
got the rest of the body polished up now, just building up coats on the headstock now to burry the decals (they are a tad rough, but this is my first attempt at this
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/xppo6-2013-05-06-17.00.12.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/65r34-2013-05-06-17.01.55.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/au61u-2013-05-06-17.00.36.jpg

AJ
07-05-2013, 06:46 AM
a slightly better picture of the headstock

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/7d5j8-2013-05-06-17.00.53.jpg

robin
07-05-2013, 07:05 AM
Wow AJ, it looks awesome mate. Brilliant for a first (or 50th) build.

Cheers
rob

keloooe
07-05-2013, 07:26 AM
That is so damn shiny there AJ, the decal looks terrific!!!!

dingobass
07-05-2013, 07:31 AM
Looking great AJ.
The headstock logo is a real beauty, nice to see you putting your name on the build :D

keloooe
07-05-2013, 07:33 AM
Quote from dingobass on May 6, 2013, 16:31
The headstock logo is a real beauty, nice to see you putting your name on the build :D
Gavmeister could learn from this guy :P :D 8-)

tigertune
07-05-2013, 08:49 AM
Love the gloss finish & the headstock logo looks great!

Brendan
07-05-2013, 11:18 AM
AJ - love the guilding - looks great on the headstock - you've done a great job. Ultimately if there's anything wrong with the guilding and they get within a metre, you're obviously not rocking hard enough ;) !

Naah - great job - love the eagle! Go Manly!

AJ
07-05-2013, 12:02 PM
Thanks guys for all the great comments, tomorrow might try to glue the neck in, but am a "little worried about the scale length.... when I did the trial fit, I got a measurement the same as the middle of the 12 th fret to the front of the saddle assembly, not the center of the saddle ..will that be ok or do I need to look into why?
next item is the saddle, I have seen some on the internet and stew macks where the adjustment is made from the rear, not like in the vids here where it shows the adjustment screws facing the pickups? will that make any difference or is that just for ease of adjusting?
do we have a resident Luther here that resides in Vic? if not might have to give Dingobass a telephone call to ask a few Q's :D

dingobass
07-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Quote from AJ on May 6, 2013, 21:02

Hi AJ.

There is a slight difference of about 3-4mm with the scale measurement from the 12th to the bridge.
This is called compensation and it is quite OK.

With the bridge, you may notice that some of the grooves are larger, so this will indicate which way round the bridge goes.
If all the grooves are the same then put it with the screws facing the pup, it will be easier to adjust intonation this way.

AJ
08-05-2013, 11:09 AM
got side tracked again today, but started to mount the vol and tone pots. After reviewing and down loading the wiring diagram, I noticed that the one here is different to the one published at the wiring site. the main diff is where the filter cap goes in the circuit. the Wiring from here, the cap goes to earth on the tone pot with a direct connection between the vol and the tone on lug 1 .. the area in the red is from the Gibson style wiring.. which is the better one to use for the LP-1?

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/py481-wd2hh3t22_00.png

dingobass
08-05-2013, 11:33 AM
Toss a coin, AJ..... there are more ways to wire up guitars than you could believe possible! :D

AJ
08-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Quote from dingobass on May 7, 2013, 20:33
Toss a coin, AJ..... there are more ways to wire up guitars than you could believe possible! :D

2up any one? lol so there is a karma-suet-era of guitar wiring...lol ot oh... too many choices for me now...

Brendan
08-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Looks like the good news is that with so many choices there doesn't seem to be a wrong one...

Good luck & hope the sound reflects the look of the guitar - you've done a great job.

dingobass
08-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Go with the layout that you are the most comfortable with.. 8-)

keloooe
08-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Do whatever suits you best AJ, Gibson wire their controls like the GE schematic you found, either way is 100% fine, as long as the required connections are there (the GE schematic is good to use if you have Paper in Oil caps, they are bigger, and can fit in the gap!)

AJ
09-05-2013, 09:32 AM
wired up the guitar today, as per the pitbull wiring diagram. Tested ok. have not screwed in the pup's yet, tomorrow will do that when I can put the tuning pegs on and string it up ... then comes the getting all the adjustments correct etc..

dingobass
09-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Excellent stuff AJ, It is so satisfying to plug in and play that first chord.. :D

keloooe
10-05-2013, 12:14 AM
Quote from dingobass on May 8, 2013, 20:11
Excellent stuff AJ, It is so satisfying to plug in and play that first chord.. :D
I'm just busting to get ready for my LP to breath into life!!!

AJ
10-05-2013, 07:49 AM
a-ha!.. it's fully together now... strung and basic tuning.. will let it settle with the kit strings for a while then go through and make sense of the setting up properly. All strings atm are a tad sharp at the 12th, but once I get the string height correct, should be pretty close. will post a pickie later. :P 8-)

AJ
10-05-2013, 10:10 AM
not to sure this will be a good enough standard to enter the GOTM, think I am satisfied with the finish.. the light here in the house doesn't seem to do it any real justice.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/7muzk-2013-05-09-20.50.11.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/89uw5-2013-05-09-20.47.40.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/8p1px-2013-05-09-20.48.26.jpg

dingobass
10-05-2013, 10:32 AM
Wow....

AJ, if you get a piece of black cloth and lay the guitar on it under a window that lets in a clear light (not direct sunlight), you will be able to get some amazing pictures of this gorgeous axe. :D

Gavin1393
10-05-2013, 10:37 AM
Just gorgeous!

tigertune
10-05-2013, 10:44 AM
Looks fabulous>
Carl

wokkaboy
10-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on May 9, 2013, 19:37
Just gorgeous!
Well done AJ that looks sensational. Look forward to well lit photos! Definitely worth entering GOTM June!

robin
10-05-2013, 07:00 PM
Congrats AJ, that is a guitar to be proud of.

rob

keloooe
11-05-2013, 12:03 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on May 9, 2013, 19:37
Just gorgeous!
Those 2 words are all that is needed to describe how damn awesome that LP looks... The decal is one of the things that made me want to vote for it it GOTM!!!!
Seriously awesome work AJ, Keep it up with the next build!

AJ
12-05-2013, 12:45 AM
ty for all the great comments, I have now bought a sheet set for the boy... Black..lol he will get them after I have used it for the "Pickies".. ;)

One last question from me now, maybe a little "dumb one" so to say.. every thing seems to work nicely, good tone etc every so slight occasional fret buz on the 6th string, once I get the string height set that will vanish..
the thing that has me puzzled tho, is when you turn the volume to zero on the neck pup, then select the bridge pup, it has nil out put till you get the neck pup off of the zero possy..??? If you do the tap test with both volumes off of zero, with the bridge pup selected, only the that one works .. as it should .. do I need to investigate further?? 8O

Gavin1393
12-05-2013, 01:07 AM
AJ, can you give us a link to the diagram that you followed when putting together the electronics?

It may reflect back to your earlier query about the "filter". But it seems like you may have reversed the volume and tone pots or somehow created a "master colume" control inadvertedly.

A couple of close ups of the wiring may also help.

AJ
12-05-2013, 03:46 AM
yes , that what it seems like, a master vol control. Both vol pots are the 500 "B", and the tonne pots are the 500 ohm "A". wiring diagram used link is http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/LP-1.pdf

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/4hsdc-2013-05-11-14.35.04.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/jvs24-2013-05-11-14.35.51.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/57f99-2013-05-11-14.43.57.jpg

stui
12-05-2013, 05:13 AM
Awesome looking guitar AJ, looks like June GOTM will be another tough one to judge...

AJ
12-05-2013, 07:13 AM
Quote from stui on May 11, 2013, 14:13
Awesome looking guitar AJ, looks like June GOTM will be another tough one to judge...

ty Stui.
changed out the toggle switch and also made up a 4 wire shielded lead , seems to have fixed the problem to an extent. The new 3 way switch is sorta working, then not :? will give it a little bit of time to settle in now.. Fitted the Pit bull brand of strings now also.

Gavin1393
12-05-2013, 09:07 AM
Hi AJ

Thanks for posting your wiring diagram as well as the pictures.
DB and I have had a discussion and these are our suggestions.

1.) Since you have sheilded the cavity of the guitar it is unnecessary for you to have run the copper wires between each of the pots. They are already grounded by the sheilding. Please remove these copper wires.
2.) the Pitbull wiring diagram shows all the grounds being attached to Pots, this is pretty important. I think if you remove the grounds from your copper groundings and attach them to the correct pots you will have better control over where the ground path is going and in so doing avoid the dreaded double grounding issues.
3.) remove the ground wire from the 3 way switch. The switch is only used to handle the signals from the bridge pickup and the neck pickup and to route either one or both to the output Jack.
4.) this is merely our preference, but the diagram you have used for the LP is more of a fender style tone pot configuration where the capacitor is attached to the middle output lug of the pot and then directly to ground. DB and I prefer the Gibson method of attaching the capacitor between the volume control and the tone control. There are many diagrams showing this configuration.

We'd suggest trying out the first three steps. Let us know how it goes.

Brendan
12-05-2013, 09:13 AM
AJ - how'd you do the guilding?

AJ
12-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Quote from Brendan on May 11, 2013, 18:13
AJ - how'd you do the guilding?

Did a reverse printed outline on clear laser water slide, then painted the sizing in-between the lines, then added the gold leaf. After that a light mist coat of clear lacquer . When I attached the completed decal, I added a few drops of pva to the water to ensure the decal would adhere.

Bugga! the new switch I got today ( a stew mach type from the local guitar shop)is one of then tall ones and it will not adjust to allow contact for both terminals when in the center possy...In my frustration, I have chipped the beast, so now I have a repair job to do as well. I reckon I must have a big "L" for looser on my forehead now... :( So Monday will have to get another 3 way toggle switch, this time I will buy it from J-Car.)

dingobass
12-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Oh poo. Hate it when I chip the finish! :x I know how you are feeling :(

There is a workaround for the switch problem.

All you need to do is chisel out a slot to give the switch room to breath :D
You can do this and the cover plate will hide it.

AJ
12-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Quote from dingobass on May 11, 2013, 20:09
Oh poo. Hate it when I chip the finish! :x I know how you are feeling :(

There is a workaround for the switch problem.

All you need to do is chisel out a slot to give the switch room to breath :D
You can do this and the cover plate will hide it.

It is the dam switch itself Phil.. I had it fitted in water tight so to speak.. would work in neck, and bridge, only neck in middle possy.. tried adjusting the springy points poles on it, but it just wont play the game.. the original switch, which was swapped out today , was doing weird things in that it made the neck volume control a master.. strange for a sealed unit that ..

AJ
12-05-2013, 11:42 AM
reminded me of the old style pommy electric pumps that were on the thorny croft fire tenders.. friggen night mares they would cause...lol

dingobass
12-05-2013, 11:57 AM
I have had a Stewmac supplied Switchcraft 3 way do that to me, good thing is they happily replaced it for free.
Maybe you should take it back to the shop and ask for a replacement.

Gavin1393
12-05-2013, 12:52 PM
AJ, did you see the post on the previous page before Brenden started a new page and hid it....DB will be sending him Concho Girl Pink when he orders his Wudtone....

DB and I had a look and a discussion on your wiring which we commented on on the previous page to this....

AJ
13-05-2013, 01:36 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on May 11, 2013, 21:52
AJ, did you see the post on the previous page before Brenden started a new page and hid it....DB will be sending him Concho Girl Pink when he orders his Wudtone....

DB and I had a look and a discussion on your wiring which we commented on on the previous page to this....

Oops, missed that post Gavin. Will do that today, and follow the Gibson style of wiring re cap-to-vol.
Got to admit tho, the guitar was super quiet re noise close to the computer... the $90 buck "ion" guitar the missus bought me for xmas from JB hi-fi is noisey as a badly tuned radio next to the computer.. lol certainly says a bit about what shielding can stop.

AJ
13-05-2013, 01:39 AM
[quote]Quote from AJ on May 12, 2013, 10:36
[quote]Quote from Gavin1393 on May 11, 2013, 21:52
.DB will be sending him Concho Girl Pink when he orders his Wudtone....

Sounds interesting.. got a pickie of the colour?

Gavin1393
13-05-2013, 02:16 AM
Quote from AJ on May 12, 2013, 10:39
[quote]Quote from AJ on May 12, 2013, 10:36
[quote]Quote from Gavin1393 on May 11, 2013, 21:52
.DB will be sending him Concho Girl Pink when he orders his Wudtone....

Sounds interesting.. got a pickie of the colour?

Sure do!
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/s6m85-image.jpg

keloooe
13-05-2013, 02:36 AM
Quote from AJ on May 12, 2013, 10:36
the $90 buck "ion" guitar the missus bought me for xmas from JB hi-fi is noisey as a badly tuned radio next to the computer...
I feel your pain there buddy, my Strat copy i got for my bday in '10 sounds sooooo damn noisy, the manufacturer barely made half an effort in sheilding, they put a 7cm square on the controls, and that's it, but you can sort of resolve it by backing the gain down on your distortion / overdrive pedal and putting the amp in the clean channel with the gain maxed out :P

Brendan
13-05-2013, 08:37 AM
Quote from keloooe on May 12, 2013, 11:36

Quote from AJ on May 12, 2013, 10:36
the $90 buck "ion" guitar the missus bought me for xmas from JB hi-fi is noisey as a badly tuned radio next to the computer...
I feel your pain there buddy, my Strat copy i got for my bday in '10 sounds sooooo damn noisy, the manufacturer barely made half an effort in sheilding, they put a 7cm square on the controls, and that's it, but you can sort of resolve it by backing the gain down on your distortion / overdrive pedal and putting the amp in the clean channel with the gain maxed out :P

Or you could use your newfound skills to hotrod the axe!

AJ
14-05-2013, 07:05 AM
Have finished the beast now, put the original 3 way switch back in, so I know at least it works in all posies, even though it appears to make one channel a master in the both pup spot.
The tone of the guitar is awesome, deep seductive in the neck pup, and can get up to those bright tones in the bridge . Simply amazing for such an economically priced kit.
I would also like to extend a big thanks to every one that helped with advice along the way, will be a month or two before I have a go at another kit. Need the minister for finance to forget what I spent money on... ;) lol.

keloooe
14-05-2013, 08:01 AM
AJ, can't wait to see what tricks you have up your sleeves for your next kit!!!!

AJ
01-06-2013, 12:59 PM
One last q from the team, (cant remember or find where I asked about a "nut file set,") So here goes , I came across this on EBay.. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111030683392?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
what are the guru's thoughts on this full set of nut files? Almost seems a reasonable price.

Brendan
01-06-2013, 01:15 PM
They look OK, but for a couple of bucks more you can get a StewMac set - that said, the delivery is a bit cheaper and they come in more sizes - would be keen to see how they go - after all DB has had some joy with Japanese gear recently - i.e., his Katana and little bone...

Just had another look - they don't look bad - seems that there are a few that have used them successfully out there...

Gavin1393
01-06-2013, 11:39 PM
Hi AJ

Look perfect for the Pit Bull Strings!

Gav

dingobass
02-06-2013, 12:34 AM
Generally, Japanese tools are of a very high quality, I can't see how you could go wrong with these.

keloooe
02-06-2013, 12:38 AM
They ARE perfect for the PBG strings, they are the exact width, I checked against my Super Slinkies, which are the same gauge!
But if you want strings that are thicker than any of those files, you will have to cut in a way that the slot is the same width as the new string, or a few thousands of an inch wider, otherwise your string won't seat in it and it will fall out all the time!

AJ
02-06-2013, 12:58 AM
will get a set of these in the next week or 2.. (pension day...lol)

WeirdBits
02-06-2013, 03:31 AM
I saw an interesting idea the other day where someone bought a set of feeler gauges (http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_gauge-feeler-kincrome-32blade-412092_P6100365.aspx) and then apparently filed teeth into them to create a cheap set of nut files. Most gauges probably won't have blades thick enough for strings beyond ~0.040, and they certainly wouldn't be very robust (if even useable)... but, it's an interesting idea and it's possible it could work for those wanting to do a one-off custom nut without lavishing money on proper nut files.

Brendan
02-06-2013, 10:55 AM
AJ - let us know how they go! Keen to see.

AJ
02-06-2013, 02:06 PM
Will do Brendan, soon as I have the spare $ to get em.. the larger sizes in feeler guages would work, but the sizes below say 20 thou would not as they are too flexible
.. unless you engineer a way to hold either end rigid..

Brendan
02-06-2013, 02:20 PM
No worries - my interest is in Bass stuff and that starts at ~45 thou. I think though - I'll take DB's advice and go with the real things when I can afford them - whether that is StewMac or the Japanese ones.

Fretworn
03-06-2013, 09:58 AM
I've seen that as well. In a book I borrowed from my local library about building kit guitars when I first started thinking of doing this.

robin
03-06-2013, 12:23 PM
Quote from Brendan on June 1, 2013, 23:20
No worries - my interest is in Bass stuff and that starts at ~45 thou. I think though - I'll take DB's advice and go with the real things when I can afford them - whether that is StewMac or the Japanese ones.

Hey Brendan, I know we are not supposed to like toys - erm - tools from B... B.... Bun.... but while your saving up to buy the real thing, it might be worth checking out this one, I found it a little limiting for guitar but it might suit the larger filing needs of bass nuts.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_10pce-trojan-mini-file-set_P5760077.aspx

rob

dingobass
03-06-2013, 12:49 PM
There are a few interesting thoughts running her re: fret files.
From experience, the only way to get a decent slot is by using the real thing.
Dedicated nut files have a rounded shape, to match the string correctly. Other files, such as Jewellers files don’t have the correct profile.
Having said that, you can start the slot with these, but then you are best off to finish the slot with an old string to file the correct profile.
This works well on Bass, but with the plain wire Guitar strings it can be a challenge!
The work around here is to use abrasive cord, available from our friends at Stewmac...

AJ
04-06-2013, 01:17 AM
I actually considered grinding some of those jeweler files.. face taper to the edge, center face being the apex or broadest point and edge to the appropriate thickness. but my calibrated eyesight now days is beyond calibration even with the glasses on. so that idea went into the bin. I have difficulty now seeing the makings on my 6" engineers rule.

AJ
04-06-2013, 01:20 AM
I also had another thought about the feeler gauges suggestion, if you temper the gauges you can then fold a "backbone " to give it the required stiffness to operate like a mini saw come file , then as Dingo suggested, the cutting string to finish the bottom of the cut to round.

Brendan
04-06-2013, 01:46 AM
Quote from robin on June 2, 2013, 21:23
Hey Brendan, I know we are not supposed to like toys - erm - tools from B... B.... Bun.... but while your saving up to buy the real thing, it might be worth checking out this one, I found it a little limiting for guitar but it might suit the larger filing needs of bass nuts.
rob

Thanks Rob - got some of these for general purpose work. In the meantime, I've got a mate with a CNC(?) machine that he thinks can cut what I need - figured I'd give it a go and get close to what I want then finish off with old strings (which I should have shortly!). If it doesn't come out as I want, then it's a couple of bucks of bone and a dead end... If it works, he'll have orders for the rest of my kits. Just have to find something to make the .dxf for him in...

AJ
04-06-2013, 01:55 AM
try turbo cad, or autocad? also there are numerous free cad progs out there