PDA

View Full Version : Appeal to keep site nicely structured and relevant

Gavin1393
25-03-2013, 06:14 AM
Guys and gals

I know many of us including myself are at 'fault' with the following but can I appeal to everyones good nature and community spirit to try and keep the site nicely structured and to be mindful to not repost the entire conversation at every thread including pictures etc. unless previous information in the thread is pertinent to their posting.

The reason for the request is that often a detailed response is given to try and assist someone with a problem or issue that they are having and this gets posted on the forum only for someone else to post a funny comment (which is always appreciated!) but since it includes everything from the previous posts except the actual helpful post that provides the vital information, that beneficial information ends up on a previous page and no-one gets to see it including the person it was intended to help.
Also paging through pages and pages of exactly the same conversation but for the last line loses the structure of a typical forum. And again, where some have asked for help this may also end up unseen and therefore unanswered on a previous page. Being able to search for pertinent information will also be improved instead of having hundreds of posts to sort through most of which are identical.

It is probably also worth being mindful of the fact that the forum is a free service and the last thing we need is for it to be filled with material duplicated over and over again to the point where it either loses value or Pitbull is asked to pay for additional space.

As a community let's all make an effort when using the "Quote" function to post and retain only the information that is relevant. That way we all win?

Bass Guy
25-03-2013, 06:27 AM
Agreed!

dingobass
25-03-2013, 06:59 AM
Well said Gavin!
it would be a good habit for all of us to get into if we just hit REPLY rather than QUOTE for most conversations...

keloooe
25-03-2013, 07:26 AM
Just like this!!! :D
I too admit to having posts with 10 other posts that aren't needed, I should start trimming the posts to the important stuff...

adam
25-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Thanks for bringing this up Gav. The Quote function is handy, but you should edit it, so you get rid of the photos and any text that isn't relevant to what you're responding to.

Alternatively, you can just use the Reply function. "Quick Reply" only seems to work in Explorer for some reason... we're working on that.

If we need to have some "Rules" at the top of the Forum we can, but it's nice not having any.

GlennGP
27-03-2013, 11:05 PM
Quote from Gavin1393 on March 24, 2013, 15:14
Guys and gals

As a community let's all make an effort when using the "Quote" function to post and retain only the information that is relevant. That way we all win?

Quite. For some reason I don't have a "reply" button anywhere, and the Quick Reply function doesn't work for me, so I almost always use the "Quote" function to create a reply, usually deleting all the pre-formed text. In any case, the cavalier use of "reply" without deleting superfluous information is a pet peeve of mine - thanks for bringing it up, Gav.

keloooe
27-03-2013, 11:28 PM
Glenn, the reply button is up at the top of the page, where the subscribe and rrs feed buttons are!

wokkaboy
28-03-2013, 12:52 AM
well said Gavin,
I try and delete photos and quotes where they aren't important to my reply, but yes no need to duplicate photos and prevoius comments if they have no relevance.
cheers Wokka

Gavin1393
28-03-2013, 03:31 AM
Thanks for all the support on this I was pretty anxious about bringing it up in case it had no support. So really pleased everyone seems to be on the same page!

wokkaboy
28-03-2013, 04:50 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on March 27, 2013, 12:31
Thanks for all the support on this I was pretty anxious about bringing it up in case it had no support. So really pleased everyone seems to be on the same page!

all good Gavin, and even the Pest is happy with the idea. I think Pit Bull need to make a new trophy for Pest of the Year ! haha

on another subject how many guitars are you entering Gav for GOTM April ? You must have at least 3 ?

cheers Wokka

Gavin1393
28-03-2013, 05:37 AM
Quote from wokkaboy on March 27, 2013, 13:50
all good Gavin, and even the Pest is happy with the idea. I think Pit Bull need to make a new trophy for Pest of the Year ! haha

on another subject how many guitars are you entering Gav for GOTM April ? You must have at least 3 ?

cheers Wokka

I do indeed have three! Plus two acoustics and a Uke! I have been finishing them all off together. Stock piled over the last year whilst I researched how I was going to finish them in a 3x3 garden shed when suddenly in November last year everything aligned and fell into place, namely the acquisition of a 55m2 workshop and the discovery of Wudtone! I expect to have another 2 or 3 for April too! Flying 'V', Strat and the Ibanez! Still have three acoustics in the finishing stages! When I am ever going to get the time to play them all I don't know, but they all look really pretty! ;)

GlennGP
28-03-2013, 05:42 AM
Quote from keloooe on March 27, 2013, 08:28
Glenn, the reply button is up at the top of the page, where the subscribe and rrs feed buttons are!

8O *facepalm*

... in my defence, it all looks like one button to me, though I couldn't quite work out what could possibly be meant by "Reply subscribe RSS" ...

keloooe
28-03-2013, 06:11 AM
Quote from GlennGP on March 27, 2013, 14:42

8O *facepalm*

... in my defence, it all looks like one button to me, though I couldn't quite work out what could possibly be meant by "Reply subscribe RSS" ...
haha, don't worry, I sent an email to Adam a couple of months ago saying that the quick reply didnt work in Google Chrome, and the nhe pointed me out to the magical buttons that I never even realised were there...