PDA

View Full Version : Andys ES-1G

Auldy
17-03-2013, 06:42 AM
So, after much anticipation, my ES-15 kit arrived!

Despite a nasty dent on the outside of the box (thanks Australia post!), nothing was amiss or damaged on the inside.

No obvious problems with the body work, some slight leftover material inside the f-holes and some grime on the body, but nothing that wasn't hard to remove with a cloth.

Blue is my favourite colour, and my vision is for a thick, solid blue body with white trim, and for something different, a thick white neck and headstock to make it a little unique. This vision my change, but that is the goal at the moment.

Start of sanding this weekend!

I aim to be working on this parallel to my LP-1 kit

Attached is a photo of the damaged box (no dramas) and a google image for inspiration

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/97514-IMG_0764.JPG
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/93x9l-Gibson_Custom_ES-335_Dot_Figured_Beale_Street_Blue_11511718_1.jpg

dingobass
17-03-2013, 07:28 AM
Quote from Auldy on March 16, 2013, 15:42

Despite a nasty dent on the outside of the box (thanks Australia post!), nothing was amiss or damaged on the inside.

No obvious problems with the body work, some slight leftover material inside the f-holes and some grime on the body, but nothing that wasn't hard to remove with a cloth.

Blue is my favourite colour, and my vision is for a thick, solid blue body with white trim, and for something different, a thick white neck and headstock to make it a little unique. This vision my change, but that is the goal at the moment.

Attached is a photo of the damaged box (no dramas) and a google image for inspiration

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/93x9l-Gibson_Custom_ES-335_Dot_Figured_Beale_Street_Blue_11511718_1.jpg

Great choice Auldy.

to get that blue I would suggest giving the Wudtone Azure Lagoon a go.

3-4 deep colour coats will give you the depth of blue you are after and to top it off the Extra Gloss top coat will make her gleam!

The great thing about the Wudtone is you can get your guitar finished in about half the time of painting, and you wont loose any tone!

Gavin1393
17-03-2013, 07:53 AM
Quote from dingobass on March 16, 2013, 16:28

Quote from Auldy on March 16, 2013, 15:42

Great choice Auldy.

to get that blue I would suggest giving the Wudtone Azure Lagoon a go.

3-4 deep colour coats will give you the depth of blue you are after and to top it off the Extra Gloss top coat will make her gleam!

The great thing about the Wudtone is you can get your guitar finished in about half the time of painting, and you wont loose any tone!

DB, i did my ES in Azure Lagoon. I think this shade shown here is deeper?

Auldy
18-03-2013, 01:09 AM
Muuuucch deeper. I have a similar piece of wood that I am going to use as a 'practice' with some paint to try a few different types of blue, depending on how they go, I will invest in some Wudtone but we will see how it goes

dingobass
18-03-2013, 04:07 AM
Oh how I hate it when Gavin is right..... :D

The Azure will need to be spiked with, hmmm, probably the Dark Onyx to get the depth of blue required.

I shall retire to the Man Cave of Lutherie and do some mad professor experiments with Wudtone.

Auldy
18-03-2013, 07:24 AM
Finished all my sanding this afternoon. Super smooth. With the curvature of the top and bottom of the ES it was quite a hassle to sand! Kept wobbling all over the place and you always feel like it needs a delicate touch with the hollow body. Very happy with how it has come up

keloooe
18-03-2013, 08:20 AM
Quote from Auldy on March 17, 2013, 16:24
Finished all my sanding this afternoon. Super smooth. With the curvature of the top and bottom of the ES it was quite a hassle to sand! Kept wobbling all over the place and you always feel like it needs a delicate touch with the hollow body. Very happy with how it has come up
Remember that Wudtone soaks into the grain, so it needs a tooth to grab onto. That means that you don't need to go very far into the grit levels, 240 should be the highest grit you should go to, and remember to lightly use some 0000 grade steel wool after each coat!!!

wokkaboy
18-03-2013, 09:07 AM
Quote from keloooe on March 17, 2013, 17:20

Quote from Auldy on March 17, 2013, 16:24
Remember that Wudtone soaks into the grain, so it needs a tooth to grab onto. That means that you don't need to go very far into the grit levels, 240 should be the highest grit you should go to, and remember to lightly use some 0000 grade steel wool after each coat!!!
Hi auldy, yes see my avatar for azure lagoon colour I suggest you experiment mixing with dark onyx to achieve the dark blue colour but that would give a very cool ES kit in that dark blue, blue is also my favourite colour

dingobass
18-03-2013, 11:35 PM
Hi Auldy,

I have been in consultaion with Wudtone's creator, Andy Preston.

Good news is I should be able to mix a special blend to achieve this rather yummy blue.

I will keep you posted!

Auldy
19-03-2013, 07:51 AM
cheers mate!

Gavin1393
19-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Quote from dingobass on March 18, 2013, 08:35
Hi Auldy,

I have been in consultaion with Wudtone's creator, Andy Preston.

Good news is I should be able to mix a special blend to achieve this rather yummy blue.

I will keep you posted!

Keep that formula for the blue I think it could get popular! DB, did you discuss your unique colour with Andy?