PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Kit Pictures

adam
14-03-2013, 07:43 AM
A question for the Forum regulars...

I've been giving some thought to the best way to present our kits to the average punter. Since launch, we've pretty much displayed the standard shot of all the parts of the kit laid out flat; like this:

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/i75yd-TL-1TB-ebay.jpg

Now I'm thinking the main photo should be of an assembled and tastefully painted kit (whether it's one of DB's or one of yours). Like this:

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/un21y-TL-1TB-Cover.jpg

What is your preference?

We will still have the components picture and all of the major individual parts separately (body, neck, pick-ups, etc).

Appreciate your opinion.

Gavin1393
14-03-2013, 07:50 AM
I'd keep the layout of the parts, but include a couple (1 or 2) really good examples of the finished product. The pictures could be included in the mix with the close ups of the neck and packets of parts.

Otherwise you are sure to get some numb-skull buying the kit and getting testy because he / she thought it was a finished guitar!

GlennGP
14-03-2013, 07:53 AM
I vote for assembled and tastefully painted (where possible, of course).

I think it's important to make sure the less guitar-savvy enthusiasts immediately have an image of the whole thing up front. I, for one, am constantly popping off to google images of guitars to get an idea of what they should (or could) look like. Sure, there are old hands around who get it just from the shape of the body and routs in it, but I'm sure they won't mind.

GlennGP
14-03-2013, 07:55 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on March 13, 2013, 16:50
... you are sure to get some numb-skull buying the kit and getting testy because he / she thought it was a finished guitar!

Good point - and I'm sure you've thought of this, but it would be important to ensure nobody can be in any doubt about the fact that they're getting a kit, not the assembled and finished example!

keloooe
14-03-2013, 08:15 AM
Here's my 2c worth:
1. Components
2. Finished Image
3. Mockup Build
Have the components image as the preview, and have the others in the kit's dedicated page...

stui
14-03-2013, 09:26 AM
I'd keep the layout of the parts, but include a couple (1 or 2) really good examples of the finished product. The pictures could be included in the mix with the close ups of the neck and packets of parts.

Otherwise you are sure to get some numb-skull buying the kit and getting testy because he / she thought it was a finished guitar!
I'm with Gav on this one. The layout of the parts should always be the main pic, but a couple of good finished examples would be an excellent addition.

MikeL
14-03-2013, 09:35 AM
My thought is that having a completed guitar could be as detrimental as it could be beneficial.
I base this purely on peoples differing tastes and ideas. By having only one image shown as a completed guitar, this could create a mindset that may or may not be liked by the viewer.

So another, harder to do, thought is have a small gallery link for each model and add photo's from past builds to it to give a broader range of ideas. This will be much easier to do by the end of the year when you have a few thousand regulars though :D

WeirdBits
14-03-2013, 10:20 AM
I agree with Gav and stui, the layout shot of the kit's parts should definitely remain as the main pic.

For me, that layout pic immediately shows what the kit looks like, what is included in the kit and, importantly, allows you to form a mental picture of what it could look like when finished in the style of your particular taste. A gallery/selection of pics of the completed kit in various finishes would be great for inspiration or further enticement towards purchase, but should not be the primary images for the kit.

Personally, I would like the image galleries for the individual parts of the kits to be more detailed and extensive, from machine heads to jack plate and everything in between (particularly of the body and neck). That way you have a better idea of what parts you may want to update, and what finish would work for that particular kit... ideally, some Wudtone purchased as part of the order.

Just my thoughts.

robin
14-03-2013, 10:53 AM

+1

adam
14-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Thanks guys, just the sort of comments I was looking for. The laid out components photo is the way to go, but I think we could maybe find a more aesthetically pleasing composition. Something like this maybe:

http://www.byoguitar.com/Images/Kits/CustomShop/72-thinline-tele-electric-guitar-kit-lg.jpg

dingobass
14-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Quote from adam on March 13, 2013, 20:09
Thanks guys, just the sort of comments I was looking for. The laid out components photo is the way to go, but I think we could maybe find a more aesthetically pleasing composition. Something like this maybe:

http://www.byoguitar.com/Images/Kits/CustomShop/72-thinline-tele-electric-guitar-kit-lg.jpg

OOOH Yeah!

That is a great layout...

GlennGP
14-03-2013, 06:51 PM
Quote from dingobass on March 13, 2013, 20:52

OOOH Yeah!

+1

... and +1

keloooe
14-03-2013, 08:02 PM
Quote from GlennGP on March 14, 2013, 03:51

Quote from dingobass on March 13, 2013, 20:52

OOOH Yeah!

+1

... and +1
Guess what? +1!

Gavin1393
14-03-2013, 09:40 PM

Yes, the black background always works for me on the lighter materials, but is not so good on the darker parts for obvious reasons. For uniformity and professional presentation may need a work around?

GlennGP
19-03-2013, 07:26 AM
I've been watching the new layout main pictures come up and they are a definite improvement. Nice one Adam (and team!).

adam
19-03-2013, 07:28 AM
Thanks Glenn, yeah, I agree, they do look much better. They're quite labour intensive to do, so it will be a while before we have all of them in the new format, but we'll get there.

keloooe
19-03-2013, 07:48 AM
Yeah, I agree with Glenn there, the new images will also help to see white or pearloid pickguards!