PDA

View Full Version : ES in I am not sure what happened but i like it by Dingobass

dingobass
07-03-2013, 07:52 AM
Yeah, well, this was meant to be Cherry Flamenco but.....

I would call it a burnt orangie type of colour.

How did I get this?
Easy, don't read Andy's instructions properly and steel wool between deep colour and base coats... ;)

Anyhoo, I kinda like it and more importantly, Miss Fiona likes it so it must be good 8-)
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/h846g-es.JPG
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/8x80f-es2.JPG

stui
07-03-2013, 07:58 AM
You've created a new Wudtone colour! Call it desert sunset maybe? :D

Edit: I should mention that I love the look of this guitar too :)

adam
07-03-2013, 08:20 AM
I'm not going to get to keep this one, am I?

dingobass
07-03-2013, 08:58 AM
Quote from adam on March 6, 2013, 17:20
I'm not going to get to keep this one, am I?

You will need to convince Miss Fiona that your need is greater than mine...
And the excuse that you own a Super Reverb amp won't cut it with Miss Fiona, you will need to come up with a plausible and inarguable case.

I wish you luck my friend. Many have tried, many have failed.....dismally. I am amongst their number...

keloooe
08-03-2013, 03:27 AM
I love it when people don't follow Andy's instructions properly and a whole new colour is created!!! That looks awesome my good friend!!!

keloooe
09-04-2013, 02:20 AM
Hang on, so your NOT supposed to steel wool after the single deep colour coat????

dingobass
09-04-2013, 05:58 AM
Only if you are doing a Cherry finish Pest. :P

keloooe
09-04-2013, 06:29 AM
So steel wool for everything but Cherry then?
And only one deep colour?

wokkaboy
09-04-2013, 06:46 AM
Quote from keloooe on April 8, 2013, 15:29
So steel wool for everything but Cherry then?
And only one deep colour?

Pest its up to you how many deep colour coats you apply. If you want a darker colour then no steel wool between deep coats and keep deep coating till you are happy with the colour

I put about 3 deep coats on the LP-1S and FV-1 to get a deeper colour

DB may disagree and say you should lightly steel wool between deep colour coats to key the wood surface, which is a good idea

so now you are only 2 hours ahead bro

dingobass
09-04-2013, 06:56 AM
Actually I don’t disagree with you Wokka.
If I want a really deep colour I wont steel wool until the 3rd deep colour coat. 8-)

keloooe
09-04-2013, 07:36 AM
I was only wondering so I can plan out how many Goldenrod coats I want, I will do anything from 3-6 Goldenrod coats to match the DO

wokkaboy
09-04-2013, 07:47 AM
Quote from keloooe on April 8, 2013, 16:36
I was only wondering so I can plan out how many Goldenrod coats I want, I will do anything from 3-6 Goldenrod coats to match the DO

the golden rod only has a base coat. If you bought a sunburst wudtone kit you may not get as much in the bottle as if you bought the golden rod outright, depends how much of the guitar will have golden rod but you will be lucky to get 6 coats. See how you go Pest. 1st coat is always very thirsty

keloooe
09-04-2013, 07:50 AM
Well, I got Goldenrod Outer so I should be alright for 3 coats, we'll see when I get rid of the dings that somehow appear magically...

wokkaboy
09-04-2013, 07:58 AM
Quote from keloooe on April 8, 2013, 16:50
Well, I got Goldenrod Outer so I should be alright for 3 coats, we'll see when I get rid of the dings that somehow appear magically...

what about back and sides, what colour will they be ?

I forgot its a reverse 'irish' burst

keloooe
09-04-2013, 08:06 AM
Oh yes, the back and sides will be Goldenrod as well... Yep, probably going to have to blend the colours with the DO...

Gavin1393
09-04-2013, 11:56 AM
With the deep coats, I try and go over and over the body the first time around until the wood can take no more...so in effect I might actually do three or four coats on the first application. I try and put it on as thin as possible with each coat. One think I have wondered about it whether the sides especially at the cutaways, should be sanded one grade finer because it often seems to suck up way more paint than the front and back. Thoughts?

dingobass
09-04-2013, 12:39 PM
I have wondered the same thing, and last build I did go finer but it still sucked the Wudtone up.

wokkaboy
09-04-2013, 11:45 PM
Quote from dingobass on April 8, 2013, 21:39
I have wondered the same thing, and last build I did go finer but it still sucked the Wudtone up.

I tend to agree Gav and DB, I wudtoned my new SG-1F 1st coat lastnight and the sides and cut away are thirsty and seem to require more wudtone to get an even finish.
Can you go finer than 0000 steel wool to sand these areas ? photocopy paper DB ?

keloooe
10-04-2013, 12:09 AM
Got a plan now! Just keep applying Wudtone until I run out, or the colour looks best to me!

wokkaboy
10-04-2013, 12:37 AM
Quote from keloooe on April 9, 2013, 09:09
Got a plan now! Just keep applying Wudtone until I run out, or the colour looks best to me!

you may run out of golden rod before dark onyx Pest if you are doing back/sides and top edges as there is no deep coat in golden rod. I see dark onyx has a deep colour and base coat so it will go further. You may want to reconsider your colour scheme and use more dark onyx than golden rod as you will get more coats out of the dark onyx.
You could do a standard sunburst on the back ie golden rod centre and dark onyx edge of back and possibly body edges and cutaway. Just a suggestion. You will be amazed how much the 1st coat soaks in though.

You got rid of the glue yet ?

keloooe
10-04-2013, 12:46 AM
Quote from wokkaboy on April 9, 2013, 09:37

Quote from keloooe on April 9, 2013, 09:09

you may run out of golden rod before dark onyx Pest if you are doing back/sides and top edges as there is no deep coat in golden rod. I see dark onyx has a deep colour and base coat so it will go further. You may want to reconsider your colour scheme and use more dark onyx than golden rod as you will get more coats out of the dark onyx.
You could do a standard sunburst on the back ie golden rod centre and dark onyx edge of back and possibly body edges and cutaway. Just a suggestion. You will be amazed how much the 1st coat soaks in though.

You got rid of the glue yet ?
Glue is still on the cutaway... I'll think about the colour scheme a bit later, gotta go do school work :(

wokkaboy
10-04-2013, 12:56 AM
[/quote]
Glue is still on the cutaway... I'll think about the colour scheme a bit later, gotta go do school work :([/quote]

yer guitar building is important but not as important as getting a good education.
If you have half a wudtone bottle of golden rod that may be enough for your colour scheme but you may end up not getting enough coats of GR on if say 65+% of the body surface is that colour.
Once you get one got of GR on all you want is a deeper colour as it is such a cool colour, GlennGP will back me up on that !
the other option is body all dark onyx other than middle of top or a sunburst on the back same standard sunbust.
anyway I'm just thinking of possible options, don't want you to run out of GR as I don't know how generous the fills are on a sunburst wudtone kit

good luck with the glue, your arms must be ready to drop off !

keloooe
10-04-2013, 01:01 AM
So, a good way to conserve the GR is to burst the back??
Hmmm... A burst on the back wouldn't be noticeable, but would still be cool!

wokkaboy
10-04-2013, 01:12 AM
Quote from keloooe on April 9, 2013, 10:01
So, a good way to conserve the GR is to burst the back??
Hmmm... A burst on the back wouldn't be noticeable, but would still be cool!

yer burst back would be cool and would conserve more golden rod

GlennGP
10-04-2013, 01:21 AM
Quote from wokkaboy on April 9, 2013, 09:56
Once you get one got of GR on all you want is a deeper colour as it is such a cool colour, GlennGP will back me up on that !

Got that right!

Keep it up, Callum, but don't neglect the books. I think there may be a nation-wide celebration the day you finish the LP!

keloooe
10-04-2013, 01:37 AM
Quote from GlennGP on April 9, 2013, 10:21

Keep it up, Callum, but don't neglect the books. I think there may be a nation-wide celebration the day you finish the LP!
Already talking to the State Government about this! ;) :P

GlennGP
10-04-2013, 02:00 AM
Quote from keloooe on April 9, 2013, 10:37

Quote from GlennGP on April 9, 2013, 10:21

Already talking to the State Government about this! ;) :P

Wow. Extra points for knowing that public holidays are a state government issue, not a Federal one ...

keloooe
10-04-2013, 02:07 AM
Yay!!! Extra points!!! I think extra points should mean more kits haha!!!