PDA

View Full Version : Hi Folks, robin from Brisbane

robin
28-02-2013, 04:47 AM
Hey guys and Gals my name is Rob and I'm newbie here, so please be gentle.

I have been playing a guitar (note, singular) for a few years now and thought that as I am recently retired it was time to add at least one to the collection.

I will probably order the the SV-1 Kit as I like the pickup layout and FR bridge. Its different from the guitar I already have and, importantly, it is in my budget. But being an old guy AND a crap guitarist I feel a bit uncomfortable with the "handle". A bit too much of a "poser" for my taste and limited talent. ;)

What I would like to know from you more experienced guys and luthiers out there is:

1. Would it be possible to fill in the "handle", and more importantly how would I go about it. The guitar will be painted so a mis-match of wood will not be a problem but the "patch" must be permanent and not visible on the finished guitar....and

2. Would this modification affect the tone quality of the guitar.

The project will be a long term one so it doesn't matter how long it takes, I just want the finished guitar to be something I can be proud of.

Any help greatly appreciated. If I get the go ahead from the experts I will be ordering the kit ASAP, can't wait to get started.

Cheers
rob

MikeL
28-02-2013, 05:18 AM
Hi Rob,

I'm also in Brisbane (Wynnum) and am in the middle of an ST-1 build but have an SV-1 on order which should hopefully be in my hands early next month (left handed takes a little longer to get).

If I was filling in the handle I'd jigsaw it into a clean rectangle and get a piece of wood to fit that has the same kind of weight/density as basswood, then just wood glue and fill any gaps. If you don't hold back with the glue you might not need to fill at all and it will never come out.

But it has to be similar density or it may sand differently. If this problem does arise, use a filler primer to cover it.

Also if it's same density it should keep the tone ok.

keloooe
28-02-2013, 05:33 AM
Hi rob, welcome to our forums!!! Some of us forum regulars (not including little me!), have a fair share of experience with these kits, so feel free to ask about anything anytime! And one last thing, the kits best go with the Wudtone finishing kits, or as I call it, Luthier's Gold! Dingobass should give you a proper understanding on the stuff!

Cheers,
Callum

robin
28-02-2013, 05:53 AM
Hi Mike, thanks for the quick reply. I used to know a "leftie" who lived in Wynnum he also was a Strat man through and through. Must be something in the water out there. ;)

Just to prove what a newb I am, I am not familiar with bass wood. Without going to some boutique timber supplier, what would be the closest common wood? See I told you I was a newb.

Thanks mate
rob

keloooe
28-02-2013, 06:19 AM
Quote from robin on February 27, 2013, 14:53
Hi Mike, thanks for the quick reply. I used to know a "leftie" who lived in Wynnum he also was a Strat man through and through. Must be something in the water out there. ;)

Just to prove what a newb I am, I am not familiar with bass wood. Without going to some boutique timber supplier, what would be the closest common wood? See I told you I was a newb.

Thanks mate
rob
Don't worry about being a newb to guitar tonewoods! At only 14, and in the process of building my first kit, I can only say that Basswood is a bit fluffy if you rub your hand over it...

Cheers,
Callum

adam
28-02-2013, 08:04 AM
Hi Robin, firstly welcome, thanks for signing up.

The SV-1 is a nice kit and I can see why you might pick that one as a project to end up with something different. A few things I can tell you (having built one myself).

Pros:
It's a cool looking guitar, when assembled.
It's so much fun to play if shredding and dive bombing is your thing.
It's incredible value considering everything you get in the kit.

Cons:
It is very light and feels quite small in my hands (as does the JEM-7 its modelled on).
If you've never set up a floating bridge before, be prepared for much swearing and throwing of things.
The "Floyd Rose" on this kit is a Chinese licensed copy. I have found it's reasonable quality, but please do not expect something of the quality of the original German made product.

Basswood is an American term, I'm not actually sure what tree it comes from. It's the wood used for the cheaper Strats (eg Squires) and some middle range guitars. It has a pretty good reputation (depending what reviews you read) and is consistently described as "sweet and warm".

It is quite a soft wood, so if you're planning on a Wudtone finish, you'll need to take care while sanding. As some here will attest, it can become quite "fluffy".

Now, if you want something that you can admire for years to come, maybe check out some of the other kits in our range. Personally, I don't think you can go past the FV-1 Flying V. Check out the FV-1 guitars that Wokka and Gavin have on the go. It has a beautiful flame maple finish, which the Wudtone finish really brings out.

There's also a couple of really nice Tele style kits. Check out the TL-1HA; an Alder body with humbuckers. Even the TL-1 at only $129 can look sensational with a solid or Wudtone finish.

Not that I want to talk you out of your choice, but if you're only doing one (you might be the first to do just one) you want it to be something very special.

dingobass
28-02-2013, 09:11 AM
Quote from adam on February 27, 2013, 17:04

Hi Robin, welcome aboard.

To answer Adams question as to what Basswood is, it is commonly known as Linden in Europe and Australia.

As for the fluffiness, there are a few ways to overcome this.

If you plan to paint the body, sand it with 220 grit then apply a sanding sealer and sand up to 400 grit.

If you use Wudtone ( which I highly recommend), sand with 220 grit and begin the coating.
As you steel wool each coat before applying the next, this fluffiness disappears and you will end up with a smooth almost glassy finish.

Enjoy the build, and as all here on the forum have heard me say a hundred times, take it slow! 8-)

Gavin1393
28-02-2013, 10:34 AM
Hi Robin

The SV-1 would be somewhat of a challenge to do what you want to do and I'm inclined to advise you in much the same way as Adam has suggested. This is not to suggest that you totally abandon the idea of building the SV-1. In adams case it might look like a sales pitch to suggest starting with another guitar to build your confidence and then have a go at the SV-1. the SV-1 has an awesome neck inlay and will look sensational when completed. However, unless you have a significant amount of woodworking experience I think you will be unhappy with the result of trying to fill in the handle. If you use spray paints to provide a solid colour to the body of the guitar it will not only cost you significantly more than Wudtone, but will also leave a lot of mess. Matching the wood will not be easy but is doable with filler but most probably with some loss of tone. For every piece of wood you add, there is inevitably some loss of tone.

The real difficult that you might experience and which is likely to result in a trip to a qualified luthier is attaching and tuning up the Floyd Rosd chinese Copy of the Floyd Rose. I would hate you to have done all the hard yards and then stumble at the fiņal hurdle and decide you hated the experience. If you are like many of us there is a strong likelihood that if you go for something a little easier for your first project that you will end up sharing in the enjoyment and passion that so many of us on the forum share in, and that is building multiple guitars.....

Of course, if you have the experience with the aforementioned then there is no reason not to jump in! Looking forward to seeing what you decide to do.

dingobass
28-02-2013, 12:54 PM
Hey Robin,

I have to agree with Gavin's comments re filling the handle.
It is doable but I have to encourage you to re think the idea as it will affect the tone of the finished Guitar.

Maybe rather than filling in the handle, you could look at getting creative and modifying it.... but in all honesty, the looks verses your "age" should not and does not matter!

What does matter is, do you like the shape and features of the Guitar?.

No one is going to look at you and say "look at the 'old' dude with the fancy axe" :D

What is most important is your enjoyment during the build and your enjoyment playing the finished beast.

Now, whilst we are on the subject of tone, the biggest killer of tone is paint!
For too long Luthiers have been seduced by the "pretty" colours and ultra shiny finishes, much to the detriment of Tone :(

If you go back some 60 years, Guitars were finished in Coramandel lacquer, oils, waxes or French Polish (shellac).

As a Luthier, tone has been a large part of my ethic, hence I have always used wax or French Polish to finish my instruments.

That is until I discovered Wudtone!
Wudtone is a finish based on oils and wax based lacquers.
There is a a great range of colour options available, with extra gloss or satin top coats.

Wudtone allows you to get a great finish and keep all the richness of tone and is a far more economical way of finishing your guitar than paint!

Anyhoo, rant over. :P

If you would like any more info on Wudtone, please feel free to email me on dingobass@pitbullguitars.com and I will be happy to answer any questions.

dingobass
01-03-2013, 08:32 PM
Hi Robin,

Great choice with the Strat.
It will look sensational with the Carmine Gypsy and gold highlights.

I am currently doing a restoration on a Strat style guitar and I love the way the highlight have piced up the curves on the body.
When you look at it from different angles it gives the guitar a beautiful depth and character.

I am sure that you will have many pleasurable hours sanding, Wudtoneing and building your Strat and many years of pleasure in playing it.

Gavin1393
01-03-2013, 08:48 PM
Quote from dingobass on March 1, 2013, 05:32
Hi Robin,

Great choice with the Strat.
It will look sensational with the Carmine Gypsy and gold highlights.

I am currently doing a restoration on a Strat style guitar and I love the way the highlight have piced up the curves on the body.
When you look at it from different angles it gives the guitar a beautiful depth and character.

I am sure that you will have many pleasurable hours sanding, Wudtoneing and building your Strat and many years of pleasure in playing it.

What a great choice for guitar and colour! And at the price, plenty of opportunities to experiment and in time try various pickups and possibly even add some additional gold bling to the guitar! That should set you up to build your SV!

robin
02-03-2013, 07:15 AM
Thanks DB and Gavin, I took everybody's advice and decided to start with a simple build.

I've never really wanted a Strat before, never keen on single coils, but I guess that no guitar collection, no matter how small, is ever complete without a Strat.

To be honest, for me it's not the destination so much as the journey. I WILL be taking my time with the build and hope to have many hours of therapeutic sanding and finishing ahead of me, and if I happen to end up with a great guitar, well, that's just a bonus.

If I enjoy the build as much as I hope to, there will be at least another one (or two) to add to the collection, but probably the IB instead of the SV. That way there will be no "handle" to worry about. But then again, I have always lusted after a 335, or maybe ............

See, the journey has already begun.

Thanks again to everyone who offered advice, and I am sure you have steered me in the right direction.

Cheers Guys
rob