PDA

View Full Version : whats this box with my name on it????

keloooe
02-02-2013, 04:02 AM
Finally, after waiting for this to arrive, I have now received my kit!!!!
At school, I felt a vibration in my pocket, so after the teacher left, I took a quick look to see that my mum told me it arrived! Ran home, and now my bed has no room on it whatsoever!!!!!
The frets are nice and shiny, the neck is intact, and everything is where it is supposed to be!!! Plus the inlays look real nice!!!

Thank you all for your contributions to the kit, and what are the 2 massive stickers for????

Cheers,
Callum
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/4i282-P1030047.JPG

Gavin1393
02-02-2013, 05:06 AM
They're the Pitbull Branded earmuffs so you don't damage your ears while sanding.....

keloooe
02-02-2013, 05:08 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on February 1, 2013, 14:06
They're the Pitbull Branded earmuffs so you don't damage your ears while sanding.....
Seems Legit!

Gavin1393
02-02-2013, 05:26 AM
You must be thrilled! See why we told you to wait until it arrived! Don't rush it now! Good that you have done the 'mock-fitout'. Always a good place to start. Sanding up next. Start with the lower grit numbers and move up to the finer grits. I have been stopping at 180 to 240 lately as I find that the Wudtone seems to sink in best at this grit level. Watch for the glue stains/ residue and any filler....i find its best to make sure its gone completely (glue) and I tend to break up the filler and reseal with Timbermate. Otherwise you end up with a Shadows guitar....it's a bit Apache...(patchy)

keloooe
02-02-2013, 05:30 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on February 1, 2013, 14:26
You must be thrilled! See why we told you to wait until it arrived! Don't rush it now! Good that you have done the 'mock-fitout'. Always a good place to start. Sanding up next. Start with the lower grit numbers and move up to the finer grits. I have been stopping at 180 to 240 lately as I find that the Wudtone seems to sink in best at this grit level. Watch for the glue stains/ residue and any filler....i find its best to make sure its gone completely (glue) and I tend to break up the filler and reseal with Timbermate. Otherwise you end up with a Shadows guitar....it's a bit Apache...(patchy)

So max grit for best Wudtone results is 240? And there is no rushing this build!

adam
02-02-2013, 05:33 AM
The stickers are for your car/bike/room/whatever. I only got those made because I used to collect stickers as a kid (our stickers are bit of a nod to the old "STP" stickers).

keloooe
02-02-2013, 05:35 AM
Quote from adam on February 1, 2013, 14:33
The stickers are for your car/bike/room/whatever. I only got those made because I used to collect stickers as a kid (our stickers are bit of a nod to the old "STP" stickers).
Imagine one of those on the back of a kit! Hmmm.... Ideas are flooding my head at the moment... Must eat dinner first!!!

dingobass
02-02-2013, 11:23 AM
That is so cool.

Glad you love your kit Callum!

As the Gavmeister so rightly pointed out, do a mock up build first. this will give you a good idea on how everythinfg fits up.
It will also give you an idea as to how well the neck blends in with the body and how much sanding you will need to do to get the lines running smoothly together from the cut out to the neck and at the top roundy bit...

Enjoy the sanding.... :D

keloooe
02-02-2013, 10:25 PM
Quote from dingobass on February 1, 2013, 20:23
That is so cool.

Glad you love your kit Callum!

As the Gavmeister so rightly pointed out, do a mock up build first. this will give you a good idea on how everythinfg fits up.
It will also give you an idea as to how well the neck blends in with the body and how much sanding you will need to do to get the lines running smoothly together from the cut out to the neck and at the top roundy bit...

Yes, the sanding is the fun part!!! DB, how much would Dark Onyx with just the color coat??? And Gav, is Timbermate really needed, or will the Wudtone look nice with no filler at all???

Gavin1393
02-02-2013, 11:09 PM
Quote from keloooe on February 2, 2013, 07:25
Yes, the sanding is the fun part!!! DB, how much would Dark Onyx with just the color coat??? And Gav, is Timbermate really needed, or will the Wudtone look nice with no filler at all???

The Timbermate would only be used to remove the filler used by the manufacturer to cover up any blemishes in the wood. On its own the natural pores in the wood will be sealed and leveled beautifully by Wudtone....

keloooe
02-02-2013, 11:12 PM
Quote from Gavin1393 on February 2, 2013, 08:09

The Timbermate would only be used to remove the filler used by the manufacturer to cover up any blemishes in the wood. On its own the natural pores in the wood will be sealed and leveled beautifully by Wudtone....
So how much sanding will be needed along with the brush to remove the manufacturers filler??? And I have the urge to run to bunnings, get a 4mm drill bit and then drill the required holes...

dingobass
02-02-2013, 11:33 PM

Hey Callum,

The Dark Onyx comes with a deep colour coat and a base coat.

This means you can get a really deep rich colour which will really enhance the grain of the timber.

Remember, the more you put on, the better the results, especially with the base coat.

adam
02-02-2013, 11:50 PM
Quote from keloooe on February 2, 2013, 08:12

So how much sanding will be needed along with the brush to remove the manufacturers filler??? And I have the urge to run to bunnings, get a 4mm drill bit and then drill the required holes...

Callum, what holes need drilling? They should all have been drilled.

keloooe
03-02-2013, 12:12 AM
Quote from adam on February 2, 2013, 08:50

Quote from keloooe on February 2, 2013, 08:12

Callum, what holes need drilling? They should all have been drilled.
The holes for the hardware

keloooe
03-02-2013, 12:14 AM
Quote from dingobass on February 2, 2013, 08:33

Hey Callum,

The Dark Onyx comes with a deep colour coat and a base coat.

This means you can get a really deep rich colour which will really enhance the grain of the timber.

Remember, the more you put on, the better the results, especially with the base coat.
But how much would I pay for JUST the Dark Onyx deep color coat, because the other coats are from the Goldenrod

adam
03-02-2013, 12:41 AM
Ok, you mean for the pick up covers, machine head screws, etc. I had this picture of your kit arriving without any wiring holes drilled.

dingobass
03-02-2013, 12:54 AM
Quote from keloooe on February 2, 2013, 09:14

[quote]Quote from keloooe on February 2, 2013, 07:25
[quote]Quote from dingobass on February 1, 2013, 20:23

But how much would I pay for JUST the Dark Onyx deep color coat, because the other coats are from the Goldenrod

Not sure I understand what you are asking here, but the kit comes with deep colour and base coats. The base coats also have colour in them to further enhance the over all effect.

The top finish coat has no pigment.

Therefore the Dark Onyx kit comes as a three part kit.

Oh, and you would be better to get a 2mm drill bit for the hardware screws.

keloooe
03-02-2013, 12:54 AM
Quote from adam on February 2, 2013, 09:41
Ok, you mean for the pick up covers, machine head screws, etc. I had this picture of your kit arriving without any wiring holes drilled.
Yea, the usual holes have been drilled for me

keloooe
03-02-2013, 01:02 AM
Quote from dingobass on February 2, 2013, 09:54

Not sure I understand what you are asking here, but the kit comes with deep colour and base coats. The base coats also have colour in them to further enhance the over all effect.

So how would I layer Goldenrod and Dark Onyx like in my other post???

dingobass
03-02-2013, 01:11 AM
Quote from keloooe on February 2, 2013, 10:02

Hey Callum, I will email you about your idea, I am still trying to work out how to do this without the colours bleeding through and making a mess!

keloooe
03-02-2013, 01:20 AM
Quote from dingobass on February 2, 2013, 10:11

Quote from keloooe on February 2, 2013, 10:02

Hey Callum, I will email you about your idea, I am still trying to work out how to do this without the colours bleeding through and making a mess!
Yea, getting it clean will be the tricky part...