PDA

View Full Version : Rickenbacker style

stui
27-01-2013, 06:01 AM
So I recieved my kit yesterday, and since I haven't got my Wudtone ordered yet, I figured I'd shape my headstock. I don't have a massive amount of woodwork experience and didn't want to do anything too intricate, and I'm a big rickenbacker fan, so I figured I'd give a rickenbacker style headstock a try. I'm really pleased with the result, and it goes to show that even the simplest design can look great!
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/mw094-image.jpg

adam
27-01-2013, 06:27 AM
Wow, that looks great Stui.

stui
27-01-2013, 07:53 AM
Quote from adam on January 26, 2013, 15:27
Wow, that looks great Stui.
Thanks Adam!
I'd like to point out that this was done with essentially the most basic tools possible... A small hand saw and some sand paper. Yes, it took a lot longer than if I had a jigsaw/files/renovator tool etc, but the beauty of these kits is that even with the most basic equipment you can get good results with a little time and effort.

The only downside now is that I have to wait for my Wudtone kit just when I was starting to get on a roll :(

GlennGP
27-01-2013, 07:59 AM
Nice work Stui, and classy to boot. That's gotta be a confidence-builder, right there.

GGP

yakkmeister
27-01-2013, 08:02 AM
Woah! That's a seriously pro-effort right there!

stui
27-01-2013, 08:28 AM
Quote from GlennGP on January 26, 2013, 16:59
Nice work Stui, and classy to boot. That's gotta be a confidence-builder, right there.

GGP
Thanks Glenn, this was a real confidence booster for me, and honestly, I found it really satisfying to be able to turn an idea in my head into reality! The problem that I'm facing now is that I'm enjoying this so much that I'll probably end up turning this into my hobby, which means ill want to buy better tools, as well as more kits, and eventually build a man cave in the backyard to use as a workshop :P

My wife is already anticipating this, and a few hours ago complained that I was more excited about building this guitar than the arrival of our first child (due in April). I responded by saying I was trying to find an activity that I could do with my future son as father/son bonding. She just glared at me :?

Gavin1393
27-01-2013, 01:42 PM
The problem that I'm facing now is that I'm enjoying this so much that I'll probably end up turning this into my hobby, which means ill want to buy better tools, as well as more kits, and eventually build a man cave in the backyard to use as a workshop :P

My wife is already anticipating this, and a few hours ago complained that I was more excited about building this guitar than the arrival of our first child (due in April). I responded by saying I was trying to find an activity that I could do with my future son as father/son bonding. She just glared at me :?

I know the feeling...18 months ago I cradled my first born in my arms and strummed a C9 chord.....it was a defining moment. My bank account is now empty and StewMac and others have taken off with all my money...wish they would take my kids!!!

dingobass
28-01-2013, 12:03 AM
Nice work Stui!

The up side of waiting for your Wutone is sanding.
Sanding, sanding and more sanding....
And when you think you have sanded enough, do some more sanding!

This is the secret to a great result with Wudtone, I am sure that Gavin will agree.

Oh, and a Man Cave is an absolute necessity!

Gavin1393
28-01-2013, 01:27 AM
Quote from dingobass on January 27, 2013, 09:03
Nice work Stui!

This is the secret to a great result with Wudtone, I am sure that Gavin will agree.

Gavin will agree on both counts! Possibly also add that some wire brushing may be needed to rough up the 'polished wood' parts and also to remove the top layer of the manufacturers 'wood filler' and replace with Timbermate. This is vitally important as the filler currently used by the manufacturer doesnt take the Wudtone stain. If you are spraying the guitar with some spray paint then this step possibly isnt necessary. This is not to say that there is more time needed to paint a guitar with Wudtone, Wudtone remains the cheaper,, less messy, less clean up, most time saving and most satisfying method of painting your guitar.

stui
28-01-2013, 02:05 AM
Nice work Stui!

Haha yeah I already spent a couple of hours on the body yesterday, it's starting to come up nicely. I think I'll have to get a wire brush from bunnings, there are a couple of small spots of wood filler I need to replace by the looks of it. I'll get a head start on wiring up the pots too, may as well have everything ready to go once the paint is done :)

keloooe
28-01-2013, 02:16 AM
Nice work Stui!

If only I could build my man cave in my backyard without my parents stopping me...

pablopepper
30-01-2013, 11:08 PM
Hey Stui,

Love your work man! If you want to go the whole hog with this, I'd be happy to cut you a custom truss rod cover in the rickenbacker style. Let me know.

stui
31-01-2013, 12:32 AM
Quote from pablopepper on January 30, 2013, 08:08
Hey Stui,

Love your work man! If you want to go the whole hog with this, I'd be happy to cut you a custom truss rod cover in the rickenbacker style. Let me know.
Wow! Thanks for the offer Pablo, but I have a very specific idea in my head of how this headstock will look, and the Ricky truss rod cover doesnt fit in with my plans. I'll keep your offer in mind for my next build though!!

Jimbob_Stone
14-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Quote from stui on January 27, 2013, 11:05

Nice work Stui!

Haha yeah I already spent a couple of hours on the body yesterday, it's starting to come up nicely. I think I'll have to get a wire brush from bunnings, there are a couple of small spots of wood filler I need to replace by the looks of it. I'll get a head start on wiring up the pots too, may as well have everything ready to go once the paint is done :)

Certainly is a distinctive Head might rethink not doing mine now having seen it.

Brendan
14-05-2013, 10:30 AM
Dude - go for it - adds your own style and makes it more your guitar than someone elses. I know it means a bit of time you can't play it, but...