PDA

View Full Version : Shielding - how desirable is it?

GlennGP
23-01-2013, 09:25 PM
So I've been doing some reading (aka "surfing") on guitar building and noticed a lot of emphasis being placed by high-end modifiers on shielding the body cavities to reduce hum and other interference in the output signal.

I don't actually think shielding is essential (a lot of guitars are obviously manufactured without it), but I'm wondering whether the desirability of doing it makes it worth doing at the intial build stage rather than as a later modification.

Anyone have experience doing this? Is copper foil shielding better or worse than the conductive paint that I've seen used? How much more complex does it make a build?

Glenn GP

Gavin1393
23-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Quote from GlennGP on January 23, 2013, 06:25
So I've been doing some reading (aka "surfing") on guitar building and noticed a lot of emphasis being placed by high-end modifiers on shielding the body cavities to reduce hum and other interference in the output signal.

I don't actually think shielding is essential (a lot of guitars are obviously manufactured without it), but I'm wondering whether the desirability of doing it makes it worth doing at the intial build stage rather than as a later modification.

Anyone have experience doing this? Is copper foil shielding better or worse than the conductive paint that I've seen used? How much more complex does it make a build?

Glenn GP

Glenn, i use both the conductive paint and the copper foil for shielding. Some don't like the conductive paint option and prefer to only use the copper. You simply cannot always control the environment you are going to be playing in and the last thing you want is a radio signal or incessant hum from some unsheilded source bleeding all over your riffs!

Hence, I shield anticipating a humming holocaust! That way, no nasty surprises down the track.

keloooe
23-01-2013, 10:44 PM
Quote from Gavin1393 on January 23, 2013, 06:52

Glenn GP

Glenn, i use both the conductive paint and the copper foil for shielding. Some don't like the conductive paint option and prefer to only use the copper. You simply cannot always control the environment you are going to be playing in and the last thing you want is a radio signal or incessant hum from some unsheilded source bleeding all over your riffs!

Hence, I shield anticipating a humming holocaust! That way, no nasty surprises down the track.

Hey Gav, where should the shielding go for best results???

dingobass
23-01-2013, 10:57 PM
Quote from keloooe on January 23, 2013, 07:44

Quote from Gavin1393 on January 23, 2013, 06:52

Glenn GP

Hey Callum,

Shield the control cavity and cover plate.
If want to be a pedantic fart like me and Gavin, shield the pup routes as well.

Oh, I always use copper. I find it more reliable than the paint and it looks much prettier! :P

GlennGP
23-01-2013, 10:59 PM

Have a look at this article (http://www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets/promo/ts0052_shielding), mate.

GGP

keloooe
24-01-2013, 12:04 AM
Quote from GlennGP on January 23, 2013, 07:59

Have a look at this article (http://www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets/promo/ts0052_shielding), mate.

GGP

Sweet, thanks Glenn!!! Will use it when building the LP, and when upgrading my Epi!!!