PDA

View Full Version : 3M Sandpaper???

keloooe
22-01-2013, 02:05 AM
Hey guys, I am about to buy the LP-1 (thank you all for the support!), and I was looking around for any 3M sandpaper, as it is uniform and lasts longer in 220, 320, and 400 grit, but I can't find it anywhere nearby... Anyone with suggestions??? Or is Trojan good enough for Wudtone preperation????

Cheers,
Callum

Gavin1393
22-01-2013, 02:46 AM
www.stewmac.com

keloooe
22-01-2013, 02:47 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on January 21, 2013, 11:46
www.stewmac.com

Whoops, forgot StewMac!!!!

Gavin1393
22-01-2013, 02:49 AM
Also grab yourself a 'toothbrush' type steel brush. I was talking to a Cabinet maker who was going over a few of my guitars and some 'polished' effect I was getting with my 220 grit. His first suggestion was to consider using 180 grit, but also to get a wire brush (toothbrush size) and use this over the 'polished' surface to assist the Wudtone to sink into the wood. This obviously applies specifically to the initial Staining process and any roughness will be smoothed out by the latter coats.

keloooe
22-01-2013, 02:55 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on January 21, 2013, 11:49
Also grab yourself a 'toothbrush' type steel brush. I was talking to a Cabinet maker who was going over a few of my guitars and some 'polished' effect I was getting with my 220 grit. His first suggestion was to consider using 180 grit, but also to get a wire brush (toothbrush size) and use this over the 'polished' surface to assist the Wudtone to sink into the wood. This obviously applies specifically to the initial Staining process and any roughness will be smoothed out by the latter coats.

Will 0000 grade steel wool do the same job?

pablopepper
22-01-2013, 10:08 AM
Hi keloooe

My suggestion would be to just get sandpaper from your local hardware/bunnings/supercheap. I'm sure, like all 3m products, their sandpaper is top notch, but, again like all 3m products, I'm sure it's expensive.

Cheaper sandpaper might not last as long, but if it's half the price and you can get it down the road, it might be a better option. I underestimated what I'd need to begin with and ended up needing a finer grade too, fifteen minutes later I had it. If you order from stewmac, you wait.

Sandpaper is the very first thing you'll need when you get your kit, get it local and you can get started this weekend.

dingobass
22-01-2013, 11:20 AM
Quote from keloooe on January 21, 2013, 11:05
Hey guys, I am about to buy the LP-1 (thank you all for the support!), and I was looking around for any 3M sandpaper, as it is uniform and lasts longer in 220, 320, and 400 grit, but I can't find it anywhere nearby... Anyone with suggestions??? Or is Trojan good enough for Wudtone preperation????

Cheers,
Callum

Hey Callum,

I would not use any papers from Bunnings etc. Cheap and very nasty. Uneven grit etc.
Check out www.thesandpaperman.com.au
He has good quality papers and ships to you fast.
My order arrived here in Perth 3 days after I ordered. So I reckon you would get it in two.
Check out the Colour Coded Paper.
Let me know how you get on

Gavin1393
22-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Quote from dingobass on January 21, 2013, 20:20

Cheers,
Callum

Hey Callum,

I would not use any papers from Bunnings etc. Cheap and very nasty. Uneven grit etc.
My order arrived here in Perth 3 days after I ordered. So I reckon you would get it in two.

Pretty much all Bunnings Sandpaper is shite....completely agree with DB. Just ordered some yellow colour coded paper from the site Phil mentioned. :))

keloooe
22-01-2013, 08:46 PM
Quote from dingobass on January 21, 2013, 20:20

Cheers,
Callum

Hey Callum,

Yes, I was thinking of them, right after I found them!!!