PDA

View Full Version : GlennGPs TL-1 #1

GlennGP
11-01-2013, 02:17 AM
OK, so having decided that Wudtone would be a really great thing to do, but in the knowledge that it's not going to be available any time real soon in Australia, I need to get on with my "proof of concept" TL-1. This is "proof of concept" in terms of my ability to build something functional, which the kids can then play without me worrying about it, so I'm not concerned with whistles and bells this time around. It'll pretty much be made as supplied, and as far as possible, with materials already on the premises. I'm hoping the Wudtone finishing products become available by the time I'm ready to move on to project #2.

Anyway, here's a pic I found of how I hope project #1 turns out.

http://www.rareelectricguitar.com/images/upload/Image/1(2).jpg

I already have the acrylic gold paint to make this work, and it could end up looking reasonably classy.

I'll use this thread to update progress on the project. Sanding may begin in the next few days!

GlennGP
14-01-2013, 06:45 AM
Well, having established that PitBull will be carrying the Wudtone products within the next few weeks (and bearing in mind the oft-repeated advice to "take it slow") I'll hang in there for the Wudtone finish rather than pressing ahead with the solid gold finish.

I'm thinking Goldenrod with silver highlights, extra gloss no ageing tint on the body; and, for the maple neck (which, I note, has some great grain features, including on the headstock), original vintage yellow.

Cheers,

GGP

Gavin1393
14-01-2013, 08:31 AM
Quote from GlennGP on January 13, 2013, 15:45
Well, having established that PitBull will be carrying the Wudtone products within the next few weeks (and bearing in mind the oft-repeated advice to "take it slow") I'll hang in there for the Wudtone finish rather than pressing ahead with the solid gold finish.

I'm thinking Goldenrod with silver highlights, extra gloss no ageing tint on the body; and, for the maple neck (which, I note, has some great grain features, including on the headstock), original vintage yellow.

Cheers,

GGP

Hi Glenn

That makes a lotof sense to me. looking forward to see how it turn out. i am doing my Spalted Maple with it and have to admit I am thrilled with what it looks like. It is a tans-lucent finish....which has really shown up the Maple.

GlennGP
17-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Hit a snag with the project. I sanded the body of the TL-1 on Sunday night, and then wrapped it up to await the arrival of a Wudtone finish. I didn't think the temperature over the last couple of days was too hot, but it seems it probably was, and the body has started coming apart at the seams (see pics).

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/imr50-DSCN5972.JPG

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/6bpdd-DSCN5973.JPG

Within minutes of advising Adam about this he replied, honouring the warranty and undertaking to get a replacement kit in the mail tomorrow (yes, I have to send my kit back, complete!). Customer service above and beyond, nice one Adam and co.

adam
17-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Hi Glenn, thanks for the kind words and sorry again about your snag. First one I've seen crack like that, so at least it's not a common problem.

I'm no expert but maybe wrapping it up wasn't a good idea. You did have some high temperatures in Victoria recently, so that might explain it. I'd be interested to hear what the others think caused this. Maybe we can include something in the box to advise customers about keeping the kit in a "cool, dry place".

Oh, Dingo Bass, this kit is heading your way to see if you can work some magic to see if we can salvage and sell on eBay (if we can fix the problem so it won't crack again).

GlennGP
17-01-2013, 11:23 AM
When I say "wrapped it up", what I mean is I just put it back in that travelling sleeve of soft stuff it comes in so that it wouldn't get dusty! However, my workshop must get warmer than I expect during the daytime. I'll have to find a more thermostatic environment for the build, but I don't think Mrs G will let me do it in the lounge!

GGP

dingobass
17-01-2013, 11:51 AM
Quote from adam on January 16, 2013, 20:10
Hi Glenn, thanks for the kind words and sorry again about your snag. First one I've seen crack like that, so at least it's not a common problem.

I'm no expert but maybe wrapping it up wasn't a good idea. You did have some high temperatures in Victoria recently, so that might explain it. I'd be interested to hear what the others think caused this. Maybe we can include something in the box to advise customers about keeping the kit in a "cool, dry place".

Oh, Dingo Bass, this kit is heading your way to see if you can work some magic to see if we can salvage and sell on eBay (if we can fix the problem so it won't crack again).

Yikes! :o The first thing that comes to mind is the direction of the grain in the two pieces. They are both running in the same direction. this means there is no "give" in the construction, therefore the two sections pull away rather than moving together.
I am sure that this was an honest manufacturing mistake as all of the kits I have seen have had the grain running in opposite directions.

Gee, thanks Adam.... You know I love a challenge! :P

adam
17-01-2013, 11:57 AM
That's why you're The Man DB! If it is a Factory fault, we can claim a replacement, When you get the cracked body, check it out, and if you can put a few words down on email to me I'll claim a replacement from the Factory.

dingobass
17-01-2013, 11:59 AM
Quote from GlennGP on January 16, 2013, 20:23
When I say "wrapped it up", what I mean is I just put it back in that travelling sleeve of soft stuff it comes in so that it wouldn't get dusty! However, my workshop must get warmer than I expect during the daytime. I'll have to find a more thermostatic environment for the build, but I don't think Mrs G will let me do it in the lounge!

GGP

Buy Mrs G a big bunch of flowers and a mega selection of chocolates and then broach the subject of lounge room kit builds!

Worked for me! :D

On a more serious note, I do think this was a one off occurrence. In the mean time I would suggest that you keep the kit in the coolest part of the house whilst you are not working on it.

Look forward to seeing your build progress and please share pics of it as you go!

Gavin1393
17-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Ouch!

Yep! DB you hit the guitar over Adams head! Well, the nail on the head...grain running in the same direction and with wood being in a constant state of breathing moisture in and out in combo with not enough of that dratted glue they use....

Glenn, how big is your workshop space? I had a 3x3 and it would play havoc with my wood....the wood just gets too hot and starts to curl no matter what thickness and with no-where to go will just pull apart.

keloooe
17-01-2013, 09:11 PM
Quote from Gavin1393 on January 16, 2013, 22:36
Ouch!

Yep! DB you hit the guitar over Adams head! Well, the nail on the head...grain running in the same direction and with wood being in a constant state of breathing moisture in and out in combo with not enough of that dratted glue they use....

Glenn, how big is your workshop space? I had a 3x3 and it would play havoc with my wood....the wood just gets too hot and starts to curl no matter what thickness and with no-where to go will just pull apart.

Hey Gav, how does a double garage sound for a workshop

GlennGP
17-01-2013, 09:45 PM
The workshop/shed is 12x6 - fricking enormous, actually! It has some of that thin foil insulation on the inside of the roof, but nothing on the walls. Loads of space to store stuff and work on stuff - I wheeled my motorbike in there last night to do some work and didn't have to shift anything to make room. I like that.

Roger on cool storage. I'm actually in the process of converting an old kitchen island bench unit into an insulated brewing station, so I'll check the temperatures inside the cupboard to see if they're a bit more stable than the rest of the shed without additional cooling/heating. Otherwise, I think I'll be requisitioning part of the toy room for the guitar build. The best air conditioning is in there!

Despite the subject matter, I'm pretty happy with the pics I was able to get of the guitar body - good close up detail with lots of depth of field. I'll put the photos up here, be assured.

GGP

Gavin1393
18-01-2013, 12:00 AM
Glenn, what I'd do (in fact have done) as you have a good amount of space is to put up a humidifier 'room'. It's a great place to control the moisture in the wood and limit these mishaps. When wood is glued up, it should be glued at at humidity levels of around 45% ideally. Where this needs to be controlled a de-humidifier will assist provided you have an airtight room. When there is moisture in the air different from the moisture in the wood the wood will take in this moisture. When there is more moisture in the wood than in the air the wood will give up moisture. This contracting and expansion can have the effect of breaking the bond the glue had on the fibers and hence leading to cracks.

Callum, a double garage isn't a bad siza at all for a workshop...

keloooe
18-01-2013, 09:44 PM
Quote from Gavin1393 on January 17, 2013, 09:00
Glenn, what I'd do (in fact have done) as you have a good amount of space is to put up a humidifier 'room'. It's a great place to control the moisture in the wood and limit these mishaps. When wood is glued up, it should be glued at at humidity levels of around 45% ideally. Where this needs to be controlled a de-humidifier will assist provided you have an airtight room. When there is moisture in the air different from the moisture in the wood the wood will take in this moisture. When there is more moisture in the wood than in the air the wood will give up moisture. This contracting and expansion can have the effect of breaking the bond the glue had on the fibers and hence leading to cracks.

Callum, a double garage isn't a bad siza at all for a workshop...

Yes it is nice and cool in there with the door closed and the only window covered with tarp...

GlennGP
23-01-2013, 07:44 AM
All righty then. Replacement kit arrived today (thanks Adam!), and all seems in order. Unless I'm very mistaken, there should be some nice feature grain where the pick-guard isn't - and some nice features on the maple fretboard, as well. The whole lot can now stay in the nice cool place in the house I have picked out until the Wudtone order gets here!

Glenn GP

keloooe
23-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Quote from GlennGP on January 22, 2013, 16:44
All righty then. Replacement kit arrived today (thanks Adam!), and all seems in order. Unless I'm very mistaken, there should be some nice feature grain where the pick-guard isn't - and some nice features on the maple fretboard, as well. The whole lot can now stay in the nice cool place in the house I have picked out until the Wudtone order gets here!

Glenn GP

My cool place is actually my garage with the door closed, because its only window is covered, and it has a ton of insulation in the roof with a concrete floor!!! And in March I shall be the third person to want Goldenrod this year!!!!

keloooe
24-01-2013, 03:53 AM
Quote from adam on January 16, 2013, 20:10

Better put mine in "storage" straight away if I get it tomorrow!!!

GlennGP
25-01-2013, 09:31 PM
It suddently occurred to me that I should shape my headstock ahead of receiving the finishing kit, so that's on the agenda this weekend. After considering a number of options, and sketching out some ideas, I've settled on simply doing a classic Tele headstock. I found a neat full-size template here (http://www.tdpri.com/telephoto/data/500/medium/teleheadbluryjpg.JPG), since I don't have access to an actual Tele to copy. Later projects might get a bit more creative in this department.

Anyway, I'll post up some pics over the weekend to illustrate my progress.

GGP

keloooe
25-01-2013, 09:35 PM
Quote from GlennGP on January 25, 2013, 06:31
It suddently occurred to me that I should shape my headstock ahead of receiving the finishing kit, so that's on the agenda this weekend. After considering a number of options, and sketching out some ideas, I've settled on simply doing a classic Tele headstock. I found a neat full-size template here (http://www.tdpri.com/telephoto/data/500/medium/teleheadbluryjpg.JPG), since I don't have access to an actual Tele to copy. Later projects might get a bit more creative in this department.

Anyway, I'll post up some pics over the weekend to illustrate my progress.

GGP

Somehow I feel like shaping the headstock for my LP... No spoilers yet!!!!

GlennGP
28-01-2013, 05:26 AM
Headstock shaping complete - see the "Tele style Headstock" thread in the headstock topics.

GGP

GlennGP
28-01-2013, 06:24 AM
... and if you can't be bothered with the detail, here's the finished product. I did the shape and also refashioned the transition on the rear, just to be true to the shape I chose (it's the '62 Custom Tele shape).

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/5t6uj-DSCN5985.JPG

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/h8z98-DSCN5986.JPG

GlennGP
07-02-2013, 10:40 AM
Did a test-build of the guitar this evening, following DB's suggestion that drilling all the necessary holes in the body after putting a beautiful finish on it may end up doing unintentional damage to said finish. This was a pretty good exercise to do, because I discovered a couple of things:

the neck slot isn't square; and
the electronics tunnel from the bridge pick-up rout to the control panel rout wasn't finished (i.e. it didn't go all the way through)

The tunnel I fixed pretty easily, and it was a job better done now than later. However, the neck worries me a bit. I aligned the neck properly, and there's a gap on the upside of the slot, and the butt-end of the slot widens toward the bottom (i.e. at the high-E end). The first problem I'm not too sure about. the second would indicate the slot simply isn't square (out by a mil or so).

Anyone got any suggestions for rectifying this? I'm reluctant to start mucking about in there without the right tools. On the other hand, I understand it's quite important for there to be a nice snug fit, for tone.

Naturally, I'll also re-check all the measurements tomorrow (measure twice, cut once and all that), but if it comes up the same, what should my next step be?

GGP

Gavin1393
07-02-2013, 12:27 PM
Glenn,

Can you check the number on the neck of the guitar and the neck slot and ensure that they are the same?

Gav

dingobass
07-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Hi Glenn,

Can you email some pix to me at dingobass@pitbullguitars.com so I can see this?

I have had similar experiences with my ST 1 but in the end it did not affect the tone etc as the most important thing is the contact between the neck and the body where the screws go through.

GlennGP
07-02-2013, 06:50 PM
Quote from Gavin1393 on February 6, 2013, 21:27
Glenn,

Can you check the number on the neck of the guitar and the neck slot and ensure that they are the same?

Gav

Yep, Gav, definitely the same!

DB, I'll set it up again when I get a chance (could be today, I have a sick minion to take care of) and send you some pics.

GGP

keloooe
07-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Quote from GlennGP on February 6, 2013, 19:40
Did a test-build of the guitar this evening, following DB's suggestion that drilling all the necessary holes in the body after putting a beautiful finish on it may end up doing unintentional damage to said finish. This was a pretty good exercise to do, because I discovered a couple of things:

the neck slot isn't square; and
the electronics tunnel from the bridge pick-up rout to the control panel rout wasn't finished (i.e. it didn't go all the way through)

The tunnel I fixed pretty easily, and it was a job better done now than later. However, the neck worries me a bit. I aligned the neck properly, and there's a gap on the upside of the slot, and the butt-end of the slot widens toward the bottom (i.e. at the high-E end). The first problem I'm not too sure about. the second would indicate the slot simply isn't square (out by a mil or so).

Anyone got any suggestions for rectifying this? I'm reluctant to start mucking about in there without the right tools. On the other hand, I understand it's quite important for there to be a nice snug fit, for tone.

Naturally, I'll also re-check all the measurements tomorrow (measure twice, cut once and all that), but if it comes up the same, what should my next step be?

GGP
Try some Timbermate stained gold...

GlennGP
09-02-2013, 08:04 AM
All righty - looks like I've got a case of "over-reaction" combined with "hasty-boy". What I saw as evidence of the neck slot being out of square is, I'm assured, wriggle-room to get your alignment right.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/wfyy5-DSCN6002.JPG

However, I did go ahead and drill the holes for all the other bits. Now I think I need to go back and re-measure stuff and move the holes if necessary. That'll be a bugger if I have to do it. Sometimes I just have to learn stuff the hard way.

GGP

dingobass
09-02-2013, 08:36 AM
Quote from GlennGP on February 8, 2013, 17:04
All righty - looks like I've got a case of "over-reaction" combined with "hasty-boy". What I saw as evidence of the neck slot being out of square is, I'm assured, wriggle-room to get your alignment right.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/wfyy5-DSCN6002.JPG

However, I did go ahead and drill the holes for all the other bits. Now I think I need to go back and re-measure stuff and move the holes if necessary. That'll be a bugger if I have to do it. Sometimes I just have to learn stuff the hard way.

GGP

The great thing about learning stuff the hard way is you never forget it!

And hopefully never do it again...... Not that I have ever taken any notice of lessons I have learned, I still make the same stuff ups from time to time... Oh well, at least the most important thing I have learned through not listening to myself is,
There is Always a work around! :P

GlennGP
10-02-2013, 07:16 AM
This arvo I performed a second mock-build and measure, and it turns out there's nothing to worry about. It all checks out nicely and all the holes are in the right places. It's safe to sand. Bring on the Wudtone!

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/eo5q8-DSCN6003.JPG

GGP

dingobass
10-02-2013, 07:38 AM
Lookin' good Glenn!

Gavin1393
10-02-2013, 08:42 AM
Bring on the Wudtone indeed!

dingobass
10-02-2013, 11:31 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on February 9, 2013, 17:42

Patience, my friends, patience.
The Wudtone is close.

In the mean time, SAND!

There will be an email sent to all of you who have back ordered Wudtone, when I have posted it out to you!

Gavin1393
10-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Quote from dingobass on February 9, 2013, 20:31

The Wudtone is close.

In the mean time, SAND!

There will be an email sent to all of you who have back ordered Wudtone, when I have posted it out to you!

Keep sanding!!!??? My LP-1 is going to turn into a UKE-1!

GlennGP
10-02-2013, 08:41 PM
Quote from Gavin1393 on February 9, 2013, 22:06

Buh-HA!

GGP

stui
10-02-2013, 11:14 PM

The Wudtone is close.

In the mean time, SAND!

Complimentary bone nuts for all who've had to wait imo :D

keloooe
10-02-2013, 11:31 PM
Quote from Gavin1393 on February 9, 2013, 22:06

The Wudtone is close.

In the mean time, SAND!

Haha Gavin, I feel the same way mate!!!

keloooe
10-02-2013, 11:32 PM
Quote from stui on February 10, 2013, 08:14

The Wudtone is close.

In the mean time, SAND!

Complimentary bone nuts for all who've had to wait imo :D
Yes, comp. bone nut for all!!!

dingobass
11-02-2013, 03:10 AM
OK, so no pressure on poor ole dingobass then.........

stui
11-02-2013, 04:07 AM
Quote from dingobass on February 10, 2013, 12:10
OK, so no pressure on poor ole dingobass then.........
I just had a vision of you frantically carving bone nuts while listening to under pressure by queen and David Bowie.

Yes, I'm wierd.

GlennGP
17-02-2013, 08:59 AM
So, after that thread hijack ...

... sanding! Got into it today. Following Andy's advice (from Wudtone), I restricted myself to a going over with 240 grit, and I'll do some 0000 steel wool as well, probably tomorrow.

There were three patches of fill in the surface of the body (actually on the sides, not on the top or back), which others have remarked doesn't take the Wudtone. One was roundish, the other was actually a little wiggly strip on the bottom edge, and each was no bigger than a 5-10c coin in total; the third one was right on the edge of the jack-plug hole. I was unsure about removing and replacing the edge of a hole, in that I might not be able to shape the replacement fill properly or compact it sufficiently to securely take the screws for the jack plate. Given it will be covered by the jack plate I decided to leave that patch alone, but I did set about sorting out the other two.

I discovered that trying to sand it off actually makes it disintegrate around the edge of the patch, and you end up dragging hard little grains of the stuff across the surface, which make nasty grooves in the surrounding surface, which then need sanding out too. I tried backing off to a 40 grit, to just tough it out, but that had pretty much the same effect as 240 grit, but made a bigger mess. Seeing as I already had a mess on my hands I decided to take a deep breath, pull out the bastard rasp file and see how deep the fill went. Thankfully it was only about a mil deep, so I was able to remove the fill completely and make a neat surface with the file, and then bring the surface back to smooth with sandpaper. I'm really happy that none of the visible surface on the finished product will be fill!

Gavin1393
17-02-2013, 12:18 PM
You'll be gratefull for the extra effort you put in later! :)
It's soul destroying trying to force paint where it just doesnt want to go, and it would have splotched your finish....not a pretty sight!

dingobass
17-02-2013, 01:54 PM
Quote from GlennGP on February 16, 2013, 17:59
So, after that thread hijack ...

... sanding! Got into it today. Following Andy's advice (from Wudtone), I restricted myself to a going over with 240 grit, and I'll do some 0000 steel wool as well, probably tomorrow.

There were three patches of fill in the surface of the body (actually on the sides, not on the top or back), which others have remarked doesn't take the Wudtone. One was roundish, the other was actually a little wiggly strip on the bottom edge, and each was no bigger than a 5-10c coin in total; the third one was right on the edge of the jack-plug hole. I was unsure about removing and replacing the edge of a hole, in that I might not be able to shape the replacement fill properly or compact it sufficiently to securely take the screws for the jack plate. Given it will be covered by the jack plate I decided to leave that patch alone, but I did set about sorting out the other two.

I discovered that trying to sand it off actually makes it disintegrate around the edge of the patch, and you end up dragging hard little grains of the stuff across the surface, which make nasty grooves in the surrounding surface, which then need sanding out too. I tried backing off to a 40 grit, to just tough it out, but that had pretty much the same effect as 240 grit, but made a bigger mess. Seeing as I already had a mess on my hands I decided to take a deep breath, pull out the bastard rasp file and see how deep the fill went. Thankfully it was only about a mil deep, so I was able to remove the fill completely and make a neat surface with the file, and then bring the surface back to smooth with sandpaper. I'm really happy that none of the visible surface on the finished product will be fill!

Way to go Glenn!
Now you are really thinking like a Luthier and finding the workaround. Well done that man! :D

adam
17-02-2013, 02:12 PM
FWIW we have asked the factory to NOT fill any dings and dents with their filler. It may take a while for these unfilled kits to filter through but hopefully we will see the end of the dodgy Chinese filler.

Gavin1393
17-02-2013, 02:35 PM
Adam, Send 'em some good old Aussie Timbermate. All their clients will then be much happier!

GlennGP
21-02-2013, 07:38 AM
Reluctantly, I have to admit I'm not happy with where the hardware ended up on the body when I did the test fit and drilled holes, and I'm still suspicious about the neck alignment. I'm filling the holes in the body and then I'll re-fit the neck and see if I can make the hardware go where it's supposed to.

If you look the pic I posted earlier (provided again below) you might notice that the bridge assembly is hard up against the inside left edge of the pickguard cutaway, instead of being nicely centred and stepped away from it. No matter which way you look at it, something's not right about that, and it bothers me. So, we're going to get that right before we start any Wudtoning around here!

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/zxo93-DSCN6003.JPG

MikeL
21-02-2013, 10:51 AM
If you look the pic I posted earlier (provided again below) you might notice that the bridge assembly is hard up against the inside left edge of the pickguard cutaway, instead of being nicely centred and stepped away from it. No matter which way you look at it, something's not right about that, and it bothers me. So, we're going to get that right before we start any Wudtoning around here!

Taking into consideration the photo is not perfectly straight on, all 3D items will appear offset slightly to one side but all should show the same offset. The nut and the bridge do show the same offset.

I've added a center line based on the neck dots and it does actually line up correctly with the bridge assembly. So the obvious thought would be the pickguard has moved during milling and is misaligned. I don't know if this can happen but it's my immediate thought.

Easiest way to tell is to measure lengths A and B and compare them to another kit.

But after re reading this and checking the pic uploaded ok, looking at the pickup, that would indicate that the pickguard is correct and bridge is wrong.... I am now confused by it too :/

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/y9dx7-zxo93-DSCN6003.JPG

Gavin1393
21-02-2013, 11:44 AM
My 5c worth.

Gut instinct suggests it is the pickguard. If it is not the pickguard and it is the bridge, the intonation can still be manipulated somewhat by the three adjustable saddles. Remember that there is usually a 2.5mm offset approximately for compensation. That is the length from nut to middle fret is 2.5 mm shorter than from middle fret to saddle.
The pickup of my tele is hardly even inside the routed pickup cavity....
Insofar as the A and B measurement suggested above, there is 5mm spacing between my pickguard and the bridge on either side, then there is 32mm of pickguard on both sides before it curves away at 90 degrees....hope this helps...

Gavin1393
21-02-2013, 11:49 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on February 20, 2013, 20:44
My 5c worth.

Gut instinct suggests it is the pickguard. If it is not the pickguard and it is the bridge, the intonation can still be manipulated somewhat by the three adjustable saddles. Remember that there is usually a 2.5mm offset approximately for compensation. That is the length from nut to middle fret is 2.5 mm shorter than from middle fret to saddle.
The pickup of my tele is hardly even inside the routed pickup cavity....
Insofar as the A and B measurement suggested above, there is 5mm spacing between my pickguard and the bridge on either side, then there is 32mm of pickguard on both sides before it curves away at 90 degrees....hope this helps...
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/7n4c9-image.jpg

dingobass
21-02-2013, 01:55 PM
Quote from MikeL on February 20, 2013, 19:51

Check your measurements again, and I would even put the two e strings on and go by that.
(You can clamp the strings with your trusty Irwin on the headstock)

This will tell you if it is the bridge or guard.

Looking at the pic, I would say it is the bridge that needs to be nudged across a touch.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/y9dx7-zxo93-DSCN6003.JPG

GlennGP
21-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Thanks all for input, very helpful. I was going with the approach that "ugly but effective" will do, i.e. if the alignment is all correct and it's the pickguard that's got the cut-out in the wrong position, I can live with that. Then I started seeing pics of other Teles going up, with nice spacing around the bridge, and I thought, dammit, I want that, and it's not too late!

So, I'm gonna measure the f#@* out of this thing and work out what's wrong (including the possibility that it's me!), and damn-well get it right.

MikeL
21-02-2013, 11:48 PM
Quote from GlennGP on February 21, 2013, 06:10
Thanks all for input, very helpful. I was going with the approach that "ugly but effective" will do, i.e. if the alignment is all correct and it's the pickguard that's got the cut-out in the wrong position, I can live with that. Then I started seeing pics of other Teles going up, with nice spacing around the bridge, and I thought, dammit, I want that, and it's not too late!

So, I'm gonna measure the f#@* out of this thing and work out what's wrong (including the possibility that it's me!), and damn-well get it right.

If it was me, i'd set up the neck, bridge and pots as they should be set up with that body but without the pickguard fitted. If at that point the pickguard still doesn't fit, i'd buy a blank sheet of pickguard material ( it's not expensive ) and i'd make a new pickguard that fits the build. Or custom cut the existing guard... Who says it can't have a 5mm all space around the bridge etc... Make it work well, then make it pretty :)

Ebay Pickguard material link http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=pickguard+material&_sacat=0&_from=R40

GlennGP
22-02-2013, 12:03 AM
Quote from MikeL on February 21, 2013, 08:48
If it was me, i'd set up the neck, bridge and pots as they should be set up with that body but without the pickguard fitted. ...

Mike, thanks for thinking outside the square. My brain was teetering on the edge of that realisation and you've just raced on by. Brilliant. That's what I'll do.

GlennGP
22-02-2013, 01:53 AM
What am I thinking?! I intended to swap the white pickguard for the black one that comes with the next Tele kit I'm getting ... so, if any adjustment is required to the white pickguard to make it fit this body, I shouldn't bother at all. What I should do is just finish this one without the pickguard and worry about fitting the black one when it arrives.

Sheesh. Nothing like thinking out loud to reach the right conclusion ...

GlennGP
23-02-2013, 09:27 AM
Tonight I put the neck back on and verified its alignment - that checked out. Next I positioned the bridge, and that turned out to be slightly too close to the neck, and twisted slightly anti-clockwise. Once I'd established where the bridge should be, I dropped the pickguard on to see what the problem might be.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/ez14f-DSCN6009.JPG

As predicted above, it's the pickguard. When I first did the test-fit I used the pickguard to guide where to place the bridge. I had to exert a bit of force to make that work (see earlier pictures). It's now pretty obvious that the position of the neck cut-out on the pickguard is just wrong.

Not to worry, I'm not going to use that one anyway. Good to have it all sorted out, and be able to proceed with the staining and finishing with confidence - the Wudtone arrived today!

GlennGP
27-02-2013, 06:33 AM
First coat of Wudtone Goldenrod. The wood actually wanted to take a fair bit of this stuff - I reckon about a third of the quantity of base coat supplied is in this coat.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/142lh-DSCN6016.JPG

dingobass
27-02-2013, 09:11 AM
Quote from GlennGP on February 26, 2013, 15:33
First coat of Wudtone Goldenrod. The wood actually wanted to take a fair bit of this stuff - I reckon about a third of the quantity of base coat supplied is in this coat.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/142lh-DSCN6016.JPG

Hot Damn that looks down right sexy Glenn!

Yep, the first coat is always the thirsty one.

You will probably only need another two coats and baby, she will be stunning!

GlennGP
28-02-2013, 08:04 AM
Quote from dingobass on February 26, 2013, 18:11
Hot Damn that looks down right sexy Glenn!

Yep, the first coat is always the thirsty one.

You will probably only need another two coats and baby, she will be stunning!

Thanks mate, I'm pretty happy with how it's coming along. Might get going on the neck in the next few days, too.

GlennGP
03-03-2013, 03:46 AM
I've been a busy boy - here's the TL-1 body after Wudtone Goldenrod coat #3:
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/cg62w-DSCN6022.JPG

GlennGP
03-03-2013, 03:48 AM
I've also been auditioning pickguards - here's a montage I prepared earlier:

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/4y7ma-pickguard-audition.jpg

keloooe
03-03-2013, 04:06 AM
Quote from GlennGP on March 2, 2013, 12:46
I've been a busy boy - here's the TL-1 body after Wudtone Goldenrod coat #3:
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/cg62w-DSCN6022.JPG
I think we can agree that looks AMAZING!!! You might want to stop there, maybe DB will agree???

GlennGP
03-03-2013, 04:40 AM
Quote from keloooe on March 2, 2013, 13:06
I think we can agree that looks AMAZING!!! You might want to stop there, maybe DB will agree???

Yep, Callum, I'm seriously considering leaving the base coat there. I have some silver highlights here, and then it's on to the topcoat, which I'm sure will be arriving any day soon! Not so sure about the vintage amber on the neck, but I'll see what a second coat does to it. I may mix a bit of leftover Goldenrod in just to make it match a bit better.

keloooe
03-03-2013, 05:07 AM
Quote from GlennGP on March 2, 2013, 13:40

Yep, Callum, I'm seriously considering leaving the base coat there. I have some silver highlights here, and then it's on to the topcoat, which I'm sure will be arriving any day soon! Not so sure about the vintage amber on the neck, but I'll see what a second coat does to it. I may mix a bit of leftover Goldenrod in just to make it match a bit better.
Silver highlights sound cool with Goldenrod!

GlennGP
03-03-2013, 06:19 AM
Back to pickguards - I've redone the test with the yellowish white pearloid, which I think would work best with the chrome hardware etc.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/qwwwl-tele-with-pearl.jpg

adam
03-03-2013, 06:28 AM
This would be my choice too Glenn, once you put the chrome hardware on, it will look sensational. This is going to be a really gorgeous guitar.

WeirdBits
03-03-2013, 07:03 AM
Looks fantastic Glenn, can't wait to see it finished - but you're making me want to rush mine!

must resist, must resist, must resist...

GlennGP
03-03-2013, 07:58 AM
Quote from WeirdBits on March 2, 2013, 16:03
Looks fantastic Glenn, can't wait to see it finished - but you're making me want to rush mine!

must resist, must resist, must resist...

Mate, your virtual sunburst artwork inspired me to get off my duff and do the pickguard tests. The latest one was redone with the current depth of stain. Seen by itself, that one looks white, but when you put it next to one that's really white you can see it's not. Amazing stuff. So ... resist, resist!

dingobass
03-03-2013, 09:53 AM
Wow Glenn,
I almost got wood over the Wudtone.......

*censored* amazing.

03-03-2013, 10:59 PM
Quote from GlennGP on March 2, 2013, 13:40

Hi Glenn, lovely looking guitar and always nice to see Tele's done in classic colours and integrity. Great Job,
and I agree on the neck colour for a tele. We always end up back at our original vintage yellow for tele. You could fine steel wool and start again with some neat goldenrod base coat on the neck. Here is what it will look like after 2 /3 coats http://www.wudtone.com/forum/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/00yellow-neck.jpg The Goldenrod dye is a very pleasing colour. This dye along with a little Saffron is what goes into the coloured base coat of the Dairy Blonde kit ( added to a white pigment base). On this thread http://www.musiquiatra.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=66280&start=30
is another nicely done Ash Tele with Dairy Blonde coloured base only, just a couple of base coats to keep the grain as visible as possible.

GlennGP
06-03-2013, 10:33 AM
Oh wow, thanks so much for the advice, Andy.

Tonight I re-sanded the neck, taking off the amber colour (and tidying up a few bits I'd skimped on!) and applied neat Goldenrod. I stayed clear of the fretboard, including the edges, which I'd like to leave natural, so that there's some variety in the look of the thing. When I'd finished I put it next to the body, and the effect is much more pleasing than the amber was. That's plenty of colour on the neck, just the one thin coat was enough to complement the deeper tint of the body.

I also applied the silver highlights to the body this eve. That's a subtle feature, that is. I think I'm pretty much ready to top coat the lot sometime in the next few days, then I have to teach myself to solder. This will be interesting.

Once more, I can't thank you guys enough for being around to point me in the right direction. And how lucky are we to have the Wudtone guru drop in with pointers? Thanks Andy!

I'll do pics when I have natural light. I hate shooting under the flouros in the shed, it's not at all kind or faithful.

GlennGP
07-03-2013, 09:17 PM
So, I'm cracking on now. I've got a 1st top coat on the body and the neck. I'm doing the neck in two alternating steps, just because it's difficult to handle it if the whole thing is treated at once, so I've top coated everything but the fretboard, and sometime in the next day or so I'll do the fretboard. Then I'll do everything but the fretboard again, and alternate till I've got 2 or 3 coats on the whole thing. It's all looking pretty sweet so far.

Also, with my heart set on the yellowed white pearloid pickguard, I couldn't quite come at $55 for the thing (including postage) so I've been looking for ways of getting the same effect for less dough. My solution is to get a stark white pearloid pickguard for reasonably cheap off the interwebs and give it the Wudtone ageing process (set out here: http://www.wudtone.com/forum/?topic=pickguard-aging-using-wudtone-dye) using some leftover top coat and a wee bit of Goldenrod. Pics on the weekend, chaps!

(By the way, are there any chapettes lurking around here?)

keloooe
10-03-2013, 12:59 AM
Quote from GlennGP on March 7, 2013, 06:17
So, I'm cracking on now. I've got a 1st top coat on the body and the neck. I'm doing the neck in two alternating steps, just because it's difficult to handle it if the whole thing is treated at once, so I've top coated everything but the fretboard, and sometime in the next day or so I'll do the fretboard. Then I'll do everything but the fretboard again, and alternate till I've got 2 or 3 coats on the whole thing. It's all looking pretty sweet so far.

Also, with my heart set on the yellowed white pearloid pickguard, I couldn't quite come at $55 for the thing (including postage) so I've been looking for ways of getting the same effect for less dough. My solution is to get a stark white pearloid pickguard for reasonably cheap off the interwebs and give it the Wudtone ageing process (set out here: http://www.wudtone.com/forum/?topic=pickguard-aging-using-wudtone-dye) using some leftover top coat and a wee bit of Goldenrod. Pics on the weekend, chaps!

(By the way, are there any chapettes lurking around here?)
Apart from Miss Nadeine, who hasn't posted anything in ages, I think there was a person named Claire who signed up a few weeks ago????

GlennGP
12-03-2013, 05:03 AM
I've applied all coats of Wudtone now except one last coat to the back of the neck. I'm pretty pleased with the result! Now I just have to wait for my pickguard to arrive so that I can age it, then I can start assembly. Here are some pics to look at in the meantime.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/d8n15-DSCN6029.JPG

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/12s0h-DSCN6030.JPG

GlennGP
12-03-2013, 05:23 AM
And here's the body. Front ...
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/39kp7-DSCN6031.JPG

GlennGP
12-03-2013, 05:25 AM
... and back!
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/ovql5-DSCN6032.JPG

stui
12-03-2013, 08:16 AM
Love the colour, looks great Glenn!

dingobass
12-03-2013, 08:54 AM
Bewdiful, Noice.....

Well done Glenn, I just wet my pants..... AGAIN! :D

WeirdBits
12-03-2013, 03:03 PM
It looks fantastic, Glenn. It has really turned out well, real eye candy.

Can't wait to see it fully assembled.

GlennGP
12-03-2013, 07:36 PM
Quote from WeirdBits on March 12, 2013, 00:03

Me too, Scott, me too ...

Gavin1393
12-03-2013, 10:03 PM
Quote from GlennGP on March 12, 2013, 04:36

Quote from WeirdBits on March 12, 2013, 00:03

Me too, Scott, me too ...

Love it!!! Some good quality work for this months GOTM?

GlennGP
13-03-2013, 06:34 AM
Quote from Gavin1393 on March 12, 2013, 07:03
Love it!!! Some good quality work for this months GOTM?

My pickguard arrived today, so I do actually stand a chance of finishing the thing this month! As for GOTM, well, that's not for me to say. ;)

GlennGP
13-03-2013, 07:32 AM
Sneak peek!
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/141rq-DSCN6035.JPG

stui
13-03-2013, 07:39 AM
Quote from GlennGP on March 12, 2013, 16:32
Sneak peek!
Loving the pick guard!

That's going to be one sexy guitar when it's done Glenn :)

keloooe
13-03-2013, 08:09 PM
Quote from stui on March 12, 2013, 16:39

Quote from GlennGP on March 12, 2013, 16:32
Sneak peek!
Loving the pick guard!

That's going to be one sexy guitar when it's done Glenn :)
My eyes just widened to the size of soccerballs!!! Glenn, that is a seriously sexy Tele!!! Lucky you live here in Vic, instead of WA...

GlennGP
16-03-2013, 11:15 AM
Fully wired and assembled! Just have to set it up sometime on the weekend. Woot! I'll do some better pictures with daylight.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/r7prh-DSCN6039.JPG

dingobass
16-03-2013, 11:40 AM
BEAUTIFUL!

Well done Glenn.

It was a long and sometimes difficult birth but you have created a truly stunning Tele.

Lucky for you that you are in Melbs, otherwise Adam would be stealing this gorgeous Guitar off you and adding it to his already extensive collection :P

GlennGP
16-03-2013, 09:09 PM
Quote from dingobass on March 15, 2013, 20:40
BEAUTIFUL!

Well done Glenn.

It was a long and sometimes difficult birth but you have created a truly stunning Tele.

Lucky for you that you are in Melbs, otherwise Adam would be stealing this gorgeous Guitar off you and adding it to his already extensive collection :P

Thanks mate. I did take it slow, as advised, and faced a few issues real and imagined, but all came good, in no small part due to the support available here.

For info, I ended up not ageing the pickguard. I did some tests on another one (12 tests, actually, I'm that thorough!) and wasn't happy with any of them. Then I really started liking the pearloid as is, so just went with it.

I still have a few tweaks I'd like to do in the coming months - shielding, personalised decals, maybe change out the output jack (the supplied one is a bit loose and lacks a satisfying "snappy" feel to let you know it's secure). But it is together and I'm a very happy camper.

Bass Guy
16-03-2013, 09:34 PM
Lookng fantastic! That's inspiring for my project too!

dingobass
16-03-2013, 11:35 PM
Hey Glenn,

Just heard a rumour that Adam has booked a flight to Melbourne!.......

Just kidding mate, but seriously, that is stunning.

With the out put jack, you can give the tip a little tweak.
I do this with all my Pit Bull builds and it does help.

When you do decide to swap out parts, keep an eye on the extras page as we will be adding things like copper shielding tape etc.

For the out put, I recommend Switchcraft as one of the best out there.

keloooe
16-03-2013, 11:37 PM
Quote from dingobass on March 15, 2013, 20:40
BEAUTIFUL!

Well done Glenn.

Haha, yes DB, there's no way that Adam can get here to Melb without us all knowing!!!

GlennGP
17-03-2013, 07:53 AM
Here we go:

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/ha097-DSCN6040.JPG

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/uc2cj-DSCN6053.JPG

GlennGP
17-03-2013, 07:57 AM
And a few more:

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/60325-DSCN6050.JPG

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/0t2f1-DSCN6051.JPG

GlennGP
17-03-2013, 08:46 AM
Here's a montage of the build.

Top left - raw, test fit
Top mid - first coat of Wudtone Goldenrod base
Bottom left - third coat of Wudtone Goldenrod base
Bottom mid - all Wudtone coats applied, test fit
Main right - finished!

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/9nspd-build-montage.jpg

GlennGP
17-03-2013, 09:06 AM
A friend has dubbed it the "Yellow Peril", so here's the corresponding headstock decal.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/8x32h-Glenn-decal.jpg

dingobass
17-03-2013, 10:15 AM
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!.... Great name, cant wait to see the decal on her!

OK. 10 minutes of swearing over, that is one of, if not the sexiest builds so far.

I think I might have to UN-volunteer myself as judge for next months GOTM.

With this stunner, Stuis magnificent 'burst and Gavs Green Martian Wonder I think I would have a stress attack trying to choose.... (bribes start at $50 :P)

It has been a real joy to see this Tele come to life through all the false starts, minor dramas and questions.

Well done Glenn! A big pants off for this effort.

WeirdBits
17-03-2013, 10:44 AM
Great job Glenn, the Yellow Peril looks fantastic. Inspiring work.

I think my favourite pics are the "And a few more:" ones above.

pablopepper
17-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Wow! Nice work Glenn. This is a really great looking guitar. :D

22-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Quote from GlennGP on March 16, 2013, 16:53
Here we go:

Congrats Glen this is a lovely looking guitar, knowing tele's I bet it sounds every bit as transparent and awesome as it looks. DO you mind if share on the Wudtone site? kind regards Andy

keloooe
22-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Wow Glenn, that is beautiful in every way! Make sure that you have high-security systems installed in your house, in case Adam tries to fly here to Vic and steal it :P

GlennGP
27-03-2013, 10:49 PM
Quote from andypwudtone on March 21, 2013, 23:41

Quote from GlennGP on March 16, 2013, 16:53
Here we go:

Congrats Glen this is a lovely looking guitar, knowing tele's I bet it sounds every bit as transparent and awesome as it looks. DO you mind if share on the Wudtone site? kind regards Andy

Sorry for the delay, Andy, I've been out of range for a few days. Go right ahead, I don't mind sharing! The sound is really beautiful, but I still have some set-up and intonation details to finalise. Should be a ripper when I'm done!

keloooe
27-03-2013, 11:35 PM
Wow... That makes me wanna steal it before Adam does...

jmeek811
14-04-2013, 10:45 AM
Wow! Nice! That is an awesome! I am a little envious.... I am also a chap-ette! One of few around here I guess :) That is a sweet guitar.

GlennGP
14-04-2013, 12:18 PM
Thanks! If I can build a guitar, anyone with a few tools and some common sense can. Good luck!

dingobass
14-04-2013, 01:55 PM
YAY! A Chapette!

The testosterone levels around here were getting a little too high!, glad to have another Lady on the forum, Jmeek!

GlennGP
14-04-2013, 09:52 PM
Quote from dingobass on April 13, 2013, 22:55
... glad to have another Lady on the forum, Jmeek!

DB's a LADY?!

dingobass
14-04-2013, 10:19 PM
Quote from GlennGP on April 14, 2013, 06:52

Quote from dingobass on April 13, 2013, 22:55
... glad to have another Lady on the forum, Jmeek!

DB's a LADY?!

No Glenn, there are a now a few Gals that are forum members..... :?

Gavin1393
14-04-2013, 11:08 PM
Glenns startling confession that he has never watched a Pitbull Vid featuring DB........ :)

GlennGP
15-04-2013, 07:15 AM
:?

Grammar matters. :P

GlennGP
15-09-2013, 08:54 PM
Just a little post-script on the Yellow Peril. This week I did a bit of upgrade work, in part as preparation for work on the Red Menace, but also because I wanted to improve it. So, I:
- changed the tone cap for a Sprague Orange Drop - my god, you can really tell the difference! So warm and clear.
- tightened up the output socket - it was too loose, jacks were almost falling straight out of it.
- turned the truss rod a little to take the last of the fret buzz out of it. After a few months settling in, I figured this wasn't going to go away on its own. So, now it's nice and clean.
- copper foil shielded all the cavities. This was fun, requiring me to completely remove hardware from the body, and add a ground wire to the bridge cavity when I put it back together. And when I plugged it I had to check that it really was on. Nice.

Apologies, I didn't think to take any pictures, but then, when it was all reconstructed there were no cosmetic changes anyway.

As rewarding as it was to have the Yellow Peril take out a beauty contest, I think it's more important to get a musical instrument sounding great. I think I've actually got there now, so feeling pretty good about it. And I've also managed to execute a couple of techniques without the first time being on someone else's guitar!

57strummers
18-09-2013, 12:45 AM
Glenn I like what you done with the headstock on this one, it is a little slimmer than I done on mine. I think I might adjust mine so not quite as fat....

57strummers
18-09-2013, 12:48 AM
Glenn I like what you done with the headstock on this one, it is a little slimmer than I done on mine. I think I might adjust mine so not quite as fat....

GlennGP
18-09-2013, 09:18 AM
... and yet, if you look at what I did with the headstock on my next project ("Tania's Red Menace"), it's just a little fatter ... !

stan
18-09-2013, 11:44 AM
superb tele build Glenn, very nice, well done

GlennGP
04-10-2013, 10:42 PM
A little more work on the Yellow Peril today. First and foremost, I've created the headstock decal and applied it (again, in part as a test run for the Red Menace). Pretty pleased with the result! I need to get some clear lacquer to go over it. This is the laser-printed version of the water-slide decal paper you can get online. I found that the black started to come away if I got too keen about wiping water off, so dabbing is the go.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/y7kh4-DSCN6763.JPG

Also, despite having shielded cavities a few weeks ago, the dear thing had developed an onboard buzz, so I needed to trace that. If you look carefully you'll see no ground wire to the pickup cover on the neck pickup. That's because, when I took the covers off, I saw that bit of stray wire and stupidly thought I'd tidy up before working out what the problem was ... Eventually I worked out that that was actually the problem, so I got a new piece of ground wire, stripped the ends and restored that ground wire. All should now be well. This, of course, also gave me the opportunity to photograph the innards for posterity!

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/7e17r-DSCN6762.JPG