PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Combo???

keloooe
08-01-2013, 01:31 AM
In the world of guitars there are 3 main guitars that I really love:
1. Maton MS500/50th Anniversary
2. Gibson Les Paul
3. Gibson Les Paul Jr

Last night I was thinking of the perfect guitar that I would definitely buy, no matter what the price, and I thought of mixing the Maton with the LP-1... It shall include:
- Bolt on Neck
- LP-1S Pickups
- Mahogany wood
- 3 way rotary switch (instead of the toggle)
- Coil Tapped bridge pickup
- Slide switch for the coil tapped pickup (in the pickguard)
- Locking Nut (From the SV-1)
- And everything else is the LP-1!!!

I will draft this (hopefully) soon, but in the meantime, Adam check to see if that order can be done and how much it would cost

Cheers,
Callum

And also, the quick reply doesnt work for Google Chrome...

dingobass
08-01-2013, 02:38 AM
Quote from keloooe on January 7, 2013, 10:31
2. Gibson Les Paul
3. Gibson Les Paul Jr

Last night I was thinking of the perfect guitar that I would definitely buy, no matter what the price, and I thought of mixing the Maton with the LP-1... It shall include:
- Mahogany wood
- Coil Tapped bridge pickup (I doubt the factory can do that!)
- Slide switch for the coil tapped pickup (to change it from a humbucker to a single coil!)

I will draft this (hopefully) soon, but in the meantime, Adam check to see if that order can be done and how much it would cost!!!

Cheers,
Callum

Coil tapping the humbucker is easy....

Currently have one pulled apart on my work bench to do a coil tap on.

I will have instructions and pics up real soon!

keloooe
08-01-2013, 02:42 AM
Quote from dingobass on January 7, 2013, 11:38

2. Gibson Les Paul
3. Gibson Les Paul Jr

- Mahogany wood
- Coil Tapped bridge pickup (I doubt the factory can do that!)
- Slide switch for the coil tapped pickup (to change it from a humbucker to a single coil!)

I will draft this (hopefully) soon, but in the meantime, Adam check to see if that order can be done and how much it would cost!!!

Cheers,
Callum

Really? Wow, i never knew it would be easy, but remember the most i've done is paint a guitar, so theres a 95% chance i will mess it up, and I would like a nice, clean tap, but I will still keep the instructions for a later time! (probably send them to me via fb, if ya can!)

dingobass
08-01-2013, 04:01 AM
[/quote]

[/quote]

Really? Wow, i never knew it would be easy, but remember the most i've done is paint a guitar, so theres a 95% chance i will mess it up, and I would like a nice, clean tap, but I will still keep the instructions for a later time! (probably send them to me via fb, if ya can!)[/quote]

If a half blind, shakey old fart like me can do it,
Young eyes and a steady hand with the soldering iron will nail it!

adam
10-01-2013, 10:01 PM
Callum, that order is pretty specific and might be beyond our factory's capabilities, but I do know someone who could make that guitar for you (hint: he loves Dingoes). I'll leave it up to him to quote a price but realistically, Luthier built guitars are a lot more expensive than a kit (for obvious reasons). You would certainly have a guitar that would be the envy of all your guitar playing mates.

keloooe
10-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Well Adam, after I saw DB's SG-1, I now think I could cut it down to a not-so specific order??? And this topic is so I can get a nice price range on if I get the whole thing from the factory, or get the req. parts from StewMac!

Actually DB, how much would you want from me for a guitar like this???

yakkmeister
31-01-2013, 06:43 PM
2. Gibson Les Paul
3. Gibson Les Paul Jr

- Bolt on Neck
- LP-1S Pickups
- Mahogany wood

I will draft this (hopefully) soon, but in the meantime, Adam check to see if that order can be done and how much it would cost

Cheers,
Callum

Hey man,

You know you can pretty much build this from a regular LP-1 kit, right?
For starters, there is no real tonal advantage of a bolt-on to set neck. Lots of guys will glue in the bolt-on and put bolts into the set necks ... Either is totally fine and it makes very little difference. Body structure (solid or hollow), thickness (1 1/2" SG Vs 2" LP) and density make huge differences that will totally dwarf anything the neck heel will contribute to.
Having said that, a dodgey neck joint, of either construction, will sound terrible.

So - take the neck as it comes, right ...

Rotary switches typically come in 5-positions. Cool if you can get a 3-way though ...
You just mount it in a regular hole. You may need to enlarge the cavity (use a router?)

As for coil-tapping, use SD Triple shot pickup rings. They are brilliant - easy to use from a player's perspective and they don't get in the way or mess with the guitar's lines.
Use a quality set of low-output (vintage style) pickups for maximum nuance - Tonerider AC2 or AC4 fit the bill but there are stacks of other units on the market.

Unless you're after a floyd rose trem, the locking nut is a waste of time. If you must lock something (totally unnecessary on a properly setup guitar) get locking tuners. Even then, tuning stability is in a solid neck and a properly cut nut. Quality saddles will help as well, though they tend only to matter with a trem (like a bigsby)

Anyways, have a think and see what other, creative ways you can get around the problems :D

keloooe
31-01-2013, 07:49 PM
Quote from yakkmeister on January 31, 2013, 03:43

2. Gibson Les Paul
3. Gibson Les Paul Jr

- Bolt on Neck
- LP-1S Pickups
- Mahogany wood

Cheers,
Callum

Hey man,

You know you can pretty much build this from a regular LP-1 kit, right?
For starters, there is no real tonal advantage of a bolt-on to set neck. Lots of guys will glue in the bolt-on and put bolts into the set necks ... Either is totally fine and it makes very little difference. Body structure (solid or hollow), thickness (1 1/2" SG Vs 2" LP) and density make huge differences that will totally dwarf anything the neck heel will contribute to.
Having said that, a dodgey neck joint, of either construction, will sound terrible.

So - take the neck as it comes, right ...

Rotary switches typically come in 5-positions. Cool if you can get a 3-way though ...
You just mount it in a regular hole. You may need to enlarge the cavity (use a router?)

As for coil-tapping, use SD Triple shot pickup rings. They are brilliant - easy to use from a player's perspective and they don't get in the way or mess with the guitar's lines.
Use a quality set of low-output (vintage style) pickups for maximum nuance - Tonerider AC2 or AC4 fit the bill but there are stacks of other units on the market.

Unless you're after a floyd rose trem, the locking nut is a waste of time. If you must lock something (totally unnecessary on a properly setup guitar) get locking tuners. Even then, tuning stability is in a solid neck and a properly cut nut. Quality saddles will help as well, though they tend only to matter with a trem (like a bigsby)

Anyways, have a think and see what other, creative ways you can get around the problems :D

So much stuff to learn!!! I ditched the design anyway, after actually drawing it on a price of paper, and I realized a locking nut would be useless!!! I could probably write a finalised version for you to see???

yakkmeister
01-02-2013, 06:27 AM
Do it!
The more of your own ideas you put into your gear, the more awesome it will be! :D