PDA

View Full Version : I made a thing !!!

MikeL
07-01-2013, 04:53 AM
I've seen tons of photo's and clips on the forum and also on Youtube of the different ways people go about painting the body of their guitar... everything from hanging it on bungee cord to attaching a piece of wood to the neck slot and clamping it.

I've also been clearing out my work room (you couldn't see the floor for junk) but in amogst that junk I found an old clutch throw out bearing from a VW and it got me thinking....

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/anq6h-bearing.jpeg

If I mounted the bearing fairly tightly by the 2 side lugs and fitted a shaft to it for attaching a guitar body to, it would give me 360' rotation and also tilt, with a suitable counter-weight fitted.

It's only partially made so far but it's working exactly as I hoped. The top of the shaft is notched to take a guitar specific plate. Just needs feet and a counter weight. At this point the counter weight is likely going to be a section of lead pipe with a tapped screw in the side so it can be set to any position and locked.

Once my guitar arrives i'll make the top connection plate and let you all know how well it works.
And yes, it's probably overkill but what if a really get into this and want to make lots... :)

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/e24z2-stand.jpg

GlennGP
07-01-2013, 05:12 AM
Like the rig, and also like the bike! Z750. Nice.

adam
07-01-2013, 05:40 AM
Yeah, nice bike! I ride a Triumph America 2011 myself.

The rig looks good, but I'm wondering whether you'll be able to move the body around when you paint, or will it be static?

We used the bungy cord, as it gave us the freedom to move the body around at any angle as you spray. The wood "handle" also allows for the same movement.

MikeL
07-01-2013, 06:15 AM
Quote from adam on January 6, 2013, 14:40
Yeah, nice bike! I ride a Triumph America 2011 myself.

The rig looks good, but I'm wondering whether you'll be able to move the body around when you paint, or will it be static?

We used the bungy cord, as it gave us the freedom to move the body around at any angle as you spray. The wood "handle" also allows for the same movement.

you'll be able to spin the body as you spray if you want, whilst tilting it over 90 degrees. It has shaft rotation and tilt at the touch of a finger... well not quite, I purposely made it tighter so the spray wouldn't cause it to move.

It's an '06 Z750, had it since new, last of the non plastic ones...Engine recently rebuilt.. fun trying to keep the front wheel on the ground :)

dingobass
07-01-2013, 08:55 AM
Quote from MikeL on January 6, 2013, 13:53
I've seen tons of photo's and clips on the forum and also on Youtube of the different ways people go about painting the body of their guitar... everything from hanging it on bungee cord to attaching a piece of wood to the neck slot and clamping it.

I've also been clearing out my work room (you couldn't see the floor for junk) but in amogst that junk I found an old clutch throw out bearing from a VW and it got me thinking....

If I mounted the bearing fairly tightly by the 2 side lugs and fitted a shaft to it for attaching a guitar body to, it would give me 360' rotation and also tilt, with a suitable counter-weight fitted.

It's only partially made so far but it's working exactly as I hoped. The top of the shaft is notched to take a guitar specific plate. Just needs feet and a counter weight. At this point the counter weight is likely going to be a section of lead pipe with a tapped screw in the side so it can be set to any position and locked.

Once my guitar arrives i'll make the top connection plate and let you all know how well it works.
And yes, it's probably overkill but what if a really get into this and want to make lots... :)

Interesting, love the great inventions people come up with to make life easier!
When you get the proto type working, it would be great to then make one out of steel so you could permanently mount it to the floor.

Can hardly wait to see the "thing" finished and operational!

keloooe
09-01-2013, 12:06 AM
Quote from dingobass on January 6, 2013, 17:55

Quote from MikeL on January 6, 2013, 13:53

Interesting, love the great inventions people come up with to make life easier!
When you get the proto type working, it would be great to then make one out of steel so you could permanently mount it to the floor.

Can hardly wait to see the "thing" finished and operational!

At least it is cheaper than going to stewmac and getting their one + a vise + a stand!!!